PDA

View Full Version : REALLY Heavy Sword

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 01:34 PM
I only recently learned about the Heavy trait that can placed on weapons. Now I'm thinking of implementing it, but I want to get the most out of my Greatsword. I was thinking of adding this to a Mercurial Greatsword. My questions are:

1) Can these two properties be applied to the same weapon?

2) If so, does it require two separate Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats?

3) If they cannot overlap, what are some others ways that I can increase my Crit damage (x2 to x3 etc.)? Or overall weapon damage?

Thanks.

Drothmal
2011-01-27, 01:40 PM
Usually people combine ways to enlarge the weapon (powerful build/monkey grip/strongarm bracers + enlarge/expansion) to get more damage

I think you can stack those properties, but I think it'll mostly depend on the DM and the level of optimization of your party

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 01:40 PM
A few people debate whether or not you actually need 2 EWPs (one for Mercurial Greatsword and one for Heavy) or if you just need one (for Heavy Mercurial Greatswords).

Crit damage can be increased by making the weapon out of Kaorti resin. Unfortunately, this can't be combined with heavy because Kaorti resin is organic and not a metal.

For increasing weapon damage, the best thing you can do is increase size. Actual size increases like Enlarge Person, Expansion, or Giant Size work, as do "effective" size increases like Heavy or the Greater Mighty Wallop spell. Unless you are starting with a 1d10 - 2d6 base damage weapon, however, size stacking is generally pretty inefficient. If you are starting with a base 2d6 weapon, it can get pretty rediculous pretty fast.

Drothmal
2011-01-27, 02:40 PM
Along the lines of your inquiry, this is one of my favorite posts. Don't know if it applies to you, but at least it's fun

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139668&highlight=kill

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 03:09 PM
A few people debate whether or not you actually need 2 EWPs (one for Mercurial Greatsword and one for Heavy) or if you just need one (for Heavy Mercurial Greatswords).

Crit damage can be increased by making the weapon out of Kaorti resin. Unfortunately, this can't be combined with heavy because Kaorti resin is organic and not a metal.

For increasing weapon damage, the best thing you can do is increase size. Actual size increases like Enlarge Person, Expansion, or Giant Size work, as do "effective" size increases like Heavy or the Greater Mighty Wallop spell. Unless you are starting with a 1d10 - 2d6 base damage weapon, however, size stacking is generally pretty inefficient. If you are starting with a base 2d6 weapon, it can get pretty rediculous pretty fast.

My current thought is to take Jotunbrud and Monkey Grip a Huge-Sized Heavy Greatsword. I don't think Strongarm bracers stack with powerful build, but are there any other permanent things I can do to increase weapon size?

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 03:19 PM

For increasing weapon damage, the best thing you can do is increase size. Actual size increases like Enlarge Person, Expansion, or Giant Size work, as do "effective" size increases like Heavy or the Greater Mighty Wallop spell. Unless you are starting with a 1d10 - 2d6 base damage weapon, however, size stacking is generally pretty inefficient. If you are starting with a base 2d6 weapon, it can get pretty ridiculous pretty fast.

May as well make it a fullblade as well, though I'm just a fan of progressing d8s over d6s.

EDIT:
My current thought is to take Jotunbrud and Monkey Grip a Huge-Sized Heavy Greatsword. I don't think Strongarm bracers stack with powerful build, but are there any other permanent things I can do to increase weapon size?

Jotunbrud != Powerful Build where larger weapons are concerned, so Monkey Grip + Strongarm Bracers for Huge Heavy Fullblade. A better method would probably be to go Half-Giant Psychic Warrior with Monkey Grip and Expansion, so your Powerfully Built and Monkey Gripping your Huge Heavy Mercurial Fullblade can then be Expanded up to Colossal when you really want to bring out the Cloud sword enviers. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 03:20 PM
Monkey Grip doesn't stack with Jotunbrud or Strongarm Bracers or Powerful Build.

All specify that you can wield a weapon 1 size catagory bigger. They all modify the base size, so you can never wield a weapon more than one size bigger (without Titan major bloodline).

Greater Mighty Wallop isn't permanent, but it is hours/level. It only works on bludgeoning weapons, but if you got like, a Heavy Large Warmace, you'd start with 1d10 > 2d8 > 3d8, and then a CL5 GMW would give you 4d8, a CL8 GMW would give you 6d8, a CL12 GMW would give you 8d8, a CL16 GMW would give you 12d8, and a CL20 GMW would give you 16d8.

If you had access to dragon magazine material, there is the Executioner's Mace, a 2d6 base weapon, so a large one made out of gold would be 4d6 base, scaling up from there to 32d6 at CL20 with Greater Mighty Wallop.

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 03:24 PM
Monkey Grip doesn't stack with Jotunbrud or Strongarm Bracers or Powerful Build.

All specify that you can wield a weapon 1 size catagory bigger. They all modify the base size, so you can never wield a weapon more than one size bigger (without Titan major bloodline).

Greater Mighty Wallop isn't permanent, but it is hours/level. It only works on bludgeoning weapons, but if you got like, a Heavy Large Warmace, you'd start with 1d10 > 2d8 > 3d8, and then a CL5 GMW would give you 4d8, a CL8 GMW would give you 6d8, a CL12 GMW would give you 8d8, a CL16 GMW would give you 12d8, and a CL20 GMW would give you 16d8.

If you had access to dragon magazine material, there is the Executioner's Mace, a 2d6 base weapon, so a large one made out of gold would be 4d6 base, scaling up from there to 32d6 at CL20 with Greater Mighty Wallop.

I stand corrected on the Monkey Grip (terrible feat, anyways) but aren't Warmaces d12?

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 03:25 PM
If they are, even better. I seem to recall them being 1d10. I might have them mistaken with mauls though. I'm AFB atm...

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 03:33 PM
If they are, even better. I seem to recall them being 1d10. I might have them mistaken with mauls though. I'm AFB atm...

Just checked my PDF (forgot I had that book in PDF...) and it is in fact d12 with the annoying -1 to AC bit. Still, you can wield it 2-handed as a martial weapon, so no loss there.

Person_Man
2011-01-27, 03:36 PM
I've researched Exotic Weapons at great length (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526). My reading is:

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) The combo you're looking for is a Kaorti (Fiend Folio web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)), which increases the crit multiplier of any weapon to *4. Make any high threat range weapon out of this material (like a Jovar from the Planar Handbook - 2d6, 18-20, *2) with any Keen effect, optimize Power Attack, and you get massive damage.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 04:10 PM

As much as I hate it, I don't doubt what you're saying. Still, can anyone confirm whether this is correct or incorrect, cause if it is it just ruined my day :(

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 04:25 PM
As much as I hate it, I don't doubt what you're saying. Still, can anyone confirm whether this is correct or incorrect, cause if it is it just ruined my day :(

Which part, the not stacking bit or the Greater Mighty Wallop bit? Assuming the stacking, Jotunbrud (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Jotunbrud) doesn't even help anything in this, since it doesn't let you wield bigger weapons. Monkey Grip (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Monkey_Grip) has the "1 size larger" language but was printed before both Powerful Build and the Bracers, so doesn't make any mention of them, obviously. The Bracers specifically says it doesn't stack with Powerful Build and I know they both have teh "1 size larger" language in them as well.

JaronK
2011-01-27, 05:12 PM
Major Titan Bloodline is of course the primary way to get silly large weapons on smaller critters. But it has to be a warhammer.

JaronK

No brains
2011-01-27, 05:15 PM
NOOB QUESTION!
Where may I find this elusive 'heavy' property, and what does it do?

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 05:30 PM
NOOB QUESTION!

Heavy is in Magic of Faerun, which is a quality of making weapons out of magically treated gold or platinum, making the weapon deal damage as if it was one size category larger and requires you to have Exotic Weapon Proficiency in that individual weapon, so EWP(Heavy Greatsword) or EWP(Heavy Spiked Chain).

Darrin
2011-01-27, 05:45 PM
NOOB QUESTION!

Magic of Faerun p. 179. I think it's +7000 GP to make a weapon out of gold or platinum.

There's a table that lists how to increase the damage based on the die type. However, it was written in the 3.0 era, when the concept of "weapon sizes" and size increases wasn't exactly standardized. So there's a few quirks in the table when you compare it to the "Increasing Weapon Damage By Size" table in the Rules Compendium (p. 152).

Heavy Weapons:
1d8 -> 2d6 (Avg 4.5 -> Avg 7.0)
1d10 -> 2d6 (Avg 5.5 -> Avg 7.0)
1d12 -> 2d8 (Avg 6.5 -> Avg 9.0)
2d6 -> 2d8 (Avg 7.0 -> Avg 9.0)
2d8 -> 4d6 (Avg 9.0 -> Avg 14.0)

Rules Compendium:
1d8 -> 2d6 (Avg 4.5 -> Avg 7.0)
1d10 -> 2d8 (Avg 5.5 -> Avg 9.0)
1d12 -> 3d6 (Avg 6.5 -> Avg 10.5)
2d6 -> 3d6 (Avg 7.0 -> Avg 10.5)
2d8 -> 3d8 (Avg 9.0 -> Avg 13.5)

So the order in which you apply the Heavy property and your size increase(s) matters.

Once you get up to 3d6 or 3d8, there are two "tracks" in the Rules Compendium for how damage increases (usually with Greater Mighty Wallop):

3d6 -> 4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6 -> 12d6
3d8 -> 4d8 -> 6d8 -> 8d8 -> 12d8

Actually, the Rules Compendium stops the d6 progression at 6d6, but the Improved Natural Attack entry in the Monster Manual provides the rest. I'm not sure if there's any official stance on what happens if you have to go past 12dX... I think most Hulking Hurler optimizers assume that it follows a somewhat exponential pattern.

Monkey Grip starts to make sense as a viable feat when you can increase your average damage by 4 or more points (4d6 -> 6d6 or 2d8 -> 3d8), based roughly on the idea that someone else using Two-Handed Power Attack converts -2 attack penalty into +4 damage (assuming no damage multipliers like Leap Attack, Spirited Charge, Headlong Rush, etc.).

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 05:50 PM
In relation to Greater Mighty Wallop, it should be noted that you don't always necessarily have to choose your primary weapon to be bludgeoning, as there are methods to make it bludgeoning so you can GMW it later (Earth Hammer).

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 06:26 PM
Which part, the not stacking bit or the Greater Mighty Wallop bit? Assuming the stacking, Jotunbrud (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Jotunbrud) doesn't even help anything in this, since it doesn't let you wield bigger weapons. Monkey Grip (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Monkey_Grip) has the "1 size larger" language but was printed before both Powerful Build and the Bracers, so doesn't make any mention of them, obviously. The Bracers specifically says it doesn't stack with Powerful Build and I know they both have teh "1 size larger" language in them as well.

My inquiry was to Powerful Build and Monkey Grip stacking. I'd really like to think they do, even though it is most probable they don't. It seems I was mistaken as to Jotunbrud; I thought it gave you the Powerful Build trait.

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 06:27 PM
My inquiry was to Powerful Build and Monkey Grip stacking. I'd really like to think they do, even though it is most probable they don't. It seems I was mistaken as to Jotunbrud; I thought it gave you the Powerful Build trait.

Nope, nope. Powerful Build didn't exist at that point, as far as I'm aware. It just gave most of the benefits EXCEPT the larger weapons. It basically makes you big-boned.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 06:36 PM
Nope, nope. Powerful Build didn't exist at that point, as far as I'm aware. It just gave most of the benefits EXCEPT the larger weapons. It basically makes you big-boned.

Besides Titan Bloodline, how can you get the Powerful Build trait?

Cieyrin
2011-01-27, 06:50 PM

Titan Bloodline isn't Powerful Build, actually, but that's beside the point.

Powerful Build you get either from being one of the 4 races that has it (Goliath, Half-Giant, Eneko, Redcap) or getting the Bracers.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 07:28 PM
Titan Bloodline isn't Powerful Build, actually, but that's beside the point.

Powerful Build you get either from being one of the 4 races that has it (Goliath, Half-Giant, Eneko, Redcap) or getting the Bracers.

Looks like I'll have to go for the bracers then, because the race is non-negotiable. Just to verify, again, the Bracers don't stack with monkey grip? :(
Is there another way to stack my size-category weapon wielding?

JaronK
2011-01-27, 07:36 PM

Titan Bloodline just sets it so you can wield a warhammer of a specific size, regardless of your actual size (so a Titan Bloodline Halfling with Permanent Reduce Person can wield a hammer that's easily got a handle bigger around than his own arm span).

JaronK

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 07:41 PM
Alright, thanks for the info. That too bad; I had built up delusions of dealing colossal-sized greatsword damage.

JaronK
2011-01-27, 08:19 PM
Don't give up on your delusions yet, this is D&D. Why not do the Titan Bloodline thing? That lets you wield a gargantuan warhammer no matter how big you are. Feel free to make it a Heavy Gargantuan Warhammer, for 6d6 damage. Heck, with Oversized TWF, you could dual wield these... all while being the small race of your choice.

Or, use a Large Heavy Goliath Greathammer (4d6 20/X4, Exotic, +2 Sunder) via Strongarm Bracers with a casting of Greater Mighty Wallop on it to make it count as Colossal for 8d6 damage. per hit, which is about as high as you can go, and that's CL 8.

Another option is to just use a Large Heavy Fullblade (4d8 19-20/X2, Exotic) with Strongarm Bracers, which might not be quite as much as you wanted but is still pretty darn good. If you could be Large yourself (Half Minotaur Orc?) You could wield a Huge Heavy Fullblade with those bracers and have 6d8 damage in addition to crazy strength. Since Colossal Greatswords only do 8d6 damage, this is almost exactly equivalent, and it doesn't require spells.

JaronK

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 08:48 PM
Don't give up on your delusions yet, this is D&D. Why not do the Titan Bloodline thing? That lets you wield a gargantuan warhammer no matter how big you are. Feel free to make it a Heavy Gargantuan Warhammer, for 6d6 damage. Heck, with Oversized TWF, you could dual wield these... all while being the small race of your choice.

Or, use a Large Heavy Goliath Greathammer (4d6 20/X4, Exotic, +2 Sunder) via Strongarm Bracers with a casting of Greater Mighty Wallop on it to make it count as Colossal for 8d6 damage. per hit, which is about as high as you can go, and that's CL 8.

Another option is to just use a Large Heavy Fullblade (4d8 19-20/X2, Exotic) with Strongarm Bracers, which might not be quite as much as you wanted but is still pretty darn good. If you could be Large yourself (Half Minotaur Orc?) You could wield a Huge Heavy Fullblade with those bracers and have 6d8 damage in addition to crazy strength. Since Colossal Greatswords only do 8d6 damage, this is almost exactly equivalent, and it doesn't require spells.

JaronK

Thanks, that's a fantastic idea; find a template! Now why didn't I think of that. Are there any other templates that offer Powerful Build?

EDIT: On the side, where are the Mercurial Weapons form?

JaronK
2011-01-27, 08:53 PM
I don't believe so, but both Half Dragon and Half Minotaur increase your size by one step. You could also consider just getting Permanent Enlarge Person. Or be a Cleric and use DMM: Persistent Righteous Might.

JaronK

Drothmal
2011-01-27, 08:53 PM
I've always been a sucker for this type of build, and in my opinion, what gets it done the best is making a PsiWar: Extra feats for the weap proficiencies, ability to enlarge yourself, a lot of weapon related powers (such as psionic weapon so you can do more damage) and other goodness. But it depends if psionics is on the table or not

herrhauptmann
2011-01-27, 09:41 PM

I don't believe so, but both Half Dragon and Half Minotaur increase your size by one step. You could also consider just getting Permanent Enlarge Person. Or be a Cleric and use DMM: Persistent Righteous Might.

JaronK
Half ogre is I think significantly better than half-dragon, just because the LA is so much lower. Less of an issue if you allow LA buy-off, but not all games do.

It's been said before, and I'm going to say it again for everyone reading this for advice. Jotunbrud IS NOT Powerful Build. Jotunbrud gives you large size if it's advantageous in opposed rolls, and determining the effects of monster abilities like Swallow Whole and Improved Grab.

I'd suggest against getting a permanent Enlarge Person. It's good for a level or two, then a BBEG casts Dispel Magic, and there goes your awesomeness. And since you probably found/bought new equipment since then, your better gear is not going to fit. (I don't think you can pick up a weapon off the ground while enlarged, and have it enlarge to fit you.)
Better option would be a magic or psionic item that recasts Enlarge or Expansion for you on a daily basis.

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-27, 09:42 PM
Thanks, that's a fantastic idea; find a template! Now why didn't I think of that. Are there any other templates that offer Powerful Build?

EDIT: On the side, where are the Mercurial Weapons form?

Sword & Fist splatbook. Think it was Arms & Equipment Guide before that.

arguskos
2011-01-27, 09:51 PM
Sword & Fist splatbook. Think it was Arms & Equipment Guide before that.
A&EG (2003) actually comes after Sword and Fist (2001), making it the most current.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-27, 11:46 PM
I've researched Exotic Weapons at great length (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526). My reading is:

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) The combo you're looking for is a Kaorti (Fiend Folio web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)), which increases the crit multiplier of any weapon to *4. Make any high threat range weapon out of this material (like a Jovar from the Planar Handbook - 2d6, 18-20, *2) with any Keen effect, optimize Power Attack, and you get massive damage.

Wow, rare opportunity here. Actually the answer to number 3 would be wrong Person_Man (oh my god how many times do you get to say that in your life?)

As Mercurial Greatsword is a 20/x4 weapon, kaorti resin would not do much of anything in this case, and it is one of the few times Heavy does a better thing (as kaorti resin cannot be heavy)

Though, as it was your article that spawned this query (I'm the OP's DM), you are ultimately still all our lord and master.

Sorry to have ever doubted you.

JaronK
2011-01-28, 04:37 AM
He's not wrong. He was saying use a Kaorti Resin Jovar, not a Kaorti Resin Mercurial Greatsword. The former would in fact be a Greatsword with 18-20/X4 crit range, which would be nice for the OP's purpose.

JaronK

Myth
2011-01-28, 05:59 AM
Heh, well Person_man was not wrong after all :smallsmile:

May I ask why you are going for larger weapons (and paying LA or feat tax or whatnot) for it? Is it purely to get more damage per hit, or is it for the coolness factor?

Because if it's the former you are better off optimizing Power Attack. If it's the latter... well do what makes you happy! But bear in mind that Monkey Grip is absolute garbage. You spend one of your precious 7 feats to deal inferior damage.

Person_Man
2011-01-28, 09:23 AM

May I ask why you are going for larger weapons (and paying LA or feat tax or whatnot) for it? Is it purely to get more damage per hit, or is it for the coolness factor?

Because if it's the former you are better off optimizing Power Attack. If it's the latter... well do what makes you happy! But bear in mind that Monkey Grip is absolute garbage. You spend one of your precious 7 feats to deal inferior damage.

Agreed.

Also, you may want to look at the threads in my signature. Specifically, optimizing Power Attack and Increasing Size, Effective Size, Unarmed Damage, Reach. The former is generally considered the most efficient way to optimize raw damage output, and the latter indexes all of the various size increases that have been bandied about this thread plus many others.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-28, 09:34 AM

It's a little bit of both, actually. The increased damage is one part of it, but the character in question also has a bit of a God-Complex, so I was thinking "Larger Than Life" and making him Powerful Build, or wielding larger weapons, just seemed to fit.

Agreed.

Also, you may want to look at the threads in my signature. Specifically, optimizing Power Attack and Increasing Size, Effective Size, Unarmed Damage, Reach. The former is generally considered the most efficient way to optimize raw damage output, and the latter indexes all of the various size increases that have been bandied about this thread plus many others.

As soon as time allows I will. I've only had the time to come on and check threads (it's a little quicker read than the one in your sig) but I intend to read it at my earliest convenience.

On a side note, thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-28, 11:15 AM

JaronK

Methinks there was a mix-up.

Sayeth the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm):

Size and Type

The creature’s type changes to dragon. Size is unchanged. Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves.

JaronK
2011-01-28, 05:54 PM
Oh right, Half Dragon gives you wings IF you're large. Half Minotaur and Half Ogre are the ones that make you Large if you were medium. You thinks correctly.

JaronK

2xMachina
2011-01-29, 03:27 AM
There's a variant half-fiend template which goes up another size, to Huge.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-30, 12:22 PM
There's a variant half-fiend template which goes up another size, to Huge.

Do you know where I could find that? I'm not sure it's something I'll use on this character, but it sounds quite interesting.

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-30, 12:59 PM
Do you know where I could find that? I'm not sure it's something I'll use on this character, but it sounds quite interesting.

Web Enhancement, I think.

Cieyrin
2011-01-30, 03:13 PM
Web Enhancement, I think.

Specifically this set of articles: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-31, 06:57 PM
Specifically this set of articles: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

Thanks, I'll look into it.