PDA

View Full Version : Spell list expansion

sreservoir
2011-01-27, 02:00 PM
what ways exist of adding spells to a spell list? or, better yet, what ways exist of adding a spell list to a spell list?

(especially, how much finagling do I need to get any cure spell onto the wizard list?)

Shades of Gray
2011-01-27, 02:02 PM
What class are you talking about? (Sorcerer? Wizard? Cleric? Dread Necromancer?)

What spells are you talking about? (Divine? Arcane? Both?)

What books are allowed for your game? (Is it the core PHB/DMG/MM only? The "Complete" series? Anything goes?)

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 02:02 PM
As I said in the Q&A thread...what are you trying to add to where? There are lots of ways, but not every method works for every class.

Are you trying to add divine to arcane? Wizard to bard? Wizard to ranger? Cleric to druid? etc.

Elfin
2011-01-27, 02:03 PM
Do you mean a class spell list (I'm assuming 3.5)? If so, there isn't really any way short of homebrewing spells. Though if you don't have Spell Compendium, getting that can often equate to doubling the number of spells available to you.

sreservoir
2011-01-27, 02:05 PM
really, I mean anything to anything.

but anything to beguiler/dread necro/warmage and any cure spell to wizard are the ones that interest me.

out of any book. it's more out of curiousity and practical application.

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 02:09 PM
There is an ACF called Eclectic Learning, which can replace Expanded Learning for any of those casters.

Also, Arcane Disciple (Healing) would put a bunch of healing spells on your class list if you were any arcane caster, so that would work for Warmages, Beguilers, Duskblades, Wizards, or Sorcerers. You need a decent Wis score though.

Rainbow Warsnake (Rainbow Servant PrC) adds all cleric spells known to you spell list at level 10. Thats like, minimum ECL13 though, and may or may not be worth it depending on how your DM interpretes text vs table.

hydraa
2011-01-27, 02:20 PM
Use Magic Device will let you access spells so you can use spell trigger/ completion items

EvilJoe15
2011-01-27, 02:40 PM
To get Cures for a wizard is easy, just buy an arcane scroll of a cure spell.

The relevant passage:

Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll

A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook. No matter what the spell’s source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Next, she must spend a day studying the spell. At the end of the day, she must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from her specialty school. She cannot, however, learn any spells from her prohibited schools. If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into her spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, below). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.
Now all you need is an arcane scroll of a divine spell. Like from Bards, dragons, Rainbow Servants, and others I may have forgotten.