PDA

View Full Version : Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms

Pages : 1 [2]

Mando Knight
2009-02-25, 03:04 PM
Laser Cleric is one based entirely around Wisdom using all the radiant ranged attacks (hence laser).
Basically you max out Wisdom, and choose every Wis based power.
They tend to be more potent at high level than the Strength based clerics, or the balanced Str/Wis clerics.

Additionally, it is almost strictly a D&D 4E term. While you could build a cleric who focuses on firing radiant wrath at their foes in earlier editions, it's pretty much only a viable, core build in 4E.

Advocate
2009-03-02, 02:07 PM
Another basic one I'm surprised isn't in.

RNG - Random Number Generator. Used in any system that has variable results to determine success, which usually but not always involve dice rolls. It is most often used in the context of 'Falling off the RNG' in which you are unable to succeed at the given task regardless of rolls. If the system allows automatic successes such as Natural 20s on D&D attack rolls, those will still work but the attempt will otherwise fail.

Falling can also be used in the present tense. In such a case, it refers to having a progressively lower success rate when engaging in the same task at level appropriate levels but not necessarily bottoming out. In other words, your ability is not scaling as fast as it needs to.

B0nd07
2009-03-26, 01:23 AM
I'd like to add a different definition for OP. While I don't think it shows up in these forums often, it can, depending on the context, be confused with original poster.

OP - Over powered. Used to refer to something that is potentially game breaking, and/or unbalanced.

Yora
2009-06-11, 04:36 AM
Could someone made a list of the terms of the AD&D micro-character summaries? (Like NG, hmF7)
Many of them are pretty obvious, but not all of them, so I think it would be cool to have them all listed.
Unless it's allready somewhere here and I overlooked it.

Theogon
2009-06-16, 02:33 PM
does anyone else knows, what's the "gp limit" for a city?

Da Pwnzlord
2009-06-18, 08:51 AM
What is "RAW"?

lesser_minion
2009-06-18, 09:21 AM
RAW stands for Rules as Written - basically any interpretation of the rules which you can justify based entirely on what is written on the page. Note that there is a theory that RAW is a myth and actually refers to RAIITAYCPMWN (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=592166) (Rules As I Interpret Them And You Can't Prove Me Wrong, Nyeah).

RAI, which comes up less often, stands for Rules as Intended, which is an interpretation of the rules which relies on trying to work out what the designers meant. This could mean merely noting that a particular rule is probably an error, or it could mean assuming that any ridiculous consequences attached to a particular rule are mistakes.

These are the two main arguments used to justify rules interpretations, and as a general rule, RAW is prefferred, as RAI is a lot harder to determine, as generally the best you can actually get is a notoriously unreliable FAQ. At the same time, where something is clearly a typo, RAI might be worth using.

Bear in mind that the rules as played may look much more like RAI.

@Theogon: The gp limit for any settlement is the highest price tag attached to any item the DM should normally allow players to buy there. (it is also used to calculate the total value of money or goods the players can exchange in one transaction there).

The actual values for different types of settlement are given in chapter 4 of the DMG, IIRC.

Dixieboy
2009-06-19, 04:55 AM
does anyone else knows, what's the "gp limit" for a city?
Depends on the amount of people in it, i could give you a better answer but i'm too lazy to dig up the books right now.

kladams707
2009-07-07, 04:40 PM
What is an ACF?

Dimers
2009-11-03, 02:30 AM
Hmmm ... I've figured it out from context, now, but could you add a line to let newbies know "PnP" means "pen-and-paper"?

Chrono22
2009-11-12, 05:11 PM
I propose adding a new fallacy, on the grounds that the bounds of the Oberani fallacy cannot include situations where rules don't exist.

Mando Fallacy
If a rule doesn't exist, it cannot be considered part of a rules system. Therefore, "arbitrary discretion" or common sense cannot logically be included as part of any value judgment of an RPG, system, or game.

Source (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7303396&postcount=227)

Cicciograna
2009-11-12, 06:23 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I never understood what a "DMM Cleric" is.

Kylarra
2009-11-12, 06:31 PM
DMM is Divine Metamagic. It's basically a cleric who uses the DMM: Persist feat to burn turn undead uses in order to persist powerful self buffs.

jokey665
2009-11-12, 06:33 PM
DMM Stands for Divine Meta-Magic, a feat from Complete Divine. It lets you spend turn attempts instead of increasing the spell's level when using metamagic. The preferred cheese is DMM: Persist, so you can spend 7 turn attempts to persist any spell. Usual suspects include Divine Power and Righteous Might, allowing you to beat massive face. Additional turn attempts are gained through Nightsticks (Libris Mortis) or the Extra Turning feat.

Dimers
2009-11-12, 06:54 PM
Can anyone explain for me what "TLDR" or "tl;dr" means? :smallconfused:

Break
2009-11-12, 06:59 PM

Too long; didn't read. Made in response to long posts, specifically those that are hard-to-read walls of text.

Hadessniper
2009-11-12, 07:00 PM

To long; didn't read

NIIIINJAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! (shakes fists in the air angrily while falling to knees dramatically)

nyjastul69
2009-11-12, 07:04 PM
I'm going to assume ASL doesn't refer to American Sign Language on these boards. To what does it refer? The more common reference keeps stubbing my mental toe.

Break
2009-11-12, 07:05 PM
I'm going to assume ASL doesn't refer to American Sign Language on these boards. To what does it refer? The more common reference keeps stubbing my mental toe.

What's the context?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-12, 07:09 PM

Age Sex Location? That is internet creeper meaning I think.

Dimers
2009-11-12, 09:44 PM
Too long; didn't read. Made in response to long posts, specifically those that are hard-to-read walls of text.

Ahh, thank you. ... Amazing I haven't earned one of those myself. Maybe it's my lack of a signature ... :smallwink:

Cicciograna
2009-11-13, 04:16 AM
Kylarra, jokey665...thank you! From what I always read about this build I understood it was quite broken...and now I know why.

Theo Hammond
2010-01-19, 06:50 AM
What exactly is the Tier system folks often use when talking about 3.5 classes?

I'm assuming that PHB classes are Tier 1, but then i'm not certain. PHB2 = T2?, Complete Xxx T3? No idea what T4 might be...

hamishspence
2010-01-19, 06:54 AM
Its an estimate of how powerful the class is relative to other classes- note that the tier system made the base assumption that versatility is important.

So a class which has great problem-solving spells, and can be deadly in melee as well, is rated higher than a class that can only do one thing well.

And a class that can only do one thing, and does it less well than many other generalists can, or is a generalist but very poor at it, gets very low ratings.

Hence, Wizard, Cleric, Druid, and Archivist tend to rate Tier 1.

Samurai, Commoners, Soulknives tend to rate Tier 5.

Cyclocone
2010-01-19, 07:03 AM
Tier System for Classes. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0)

Theo Hammond
2010-01-19, 08:28 AM
Smashing, ta.

Not sure i'll explain it to my gaming group though, arguements ahoy!

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-12, 03:09 PM
An abbreviation from the boards that I've never deciphered the meaning of in all the birthday threads I've seen it in is AFONAL... Anyone able to assist?

Fostire
2010-04-12, 03:15 PM
An abbreviation from the boards that I've never deciphered the meaning of in all the birthday threads I've seen it in is AFONAL... Anyone able to assist?

I think it's something like Annual Flaunting Of Numbers And Loot

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-12, 03:16 PM
I think it's something like Annual Flaunting Of Numbers And Loot

Thanks very much, I'll try to remember that one.