PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Metamagic?

darbythegambler
2011-01-27, 03:20 PM
I'm interested for an upcoming campaign to play an arcane knight type-ish character, so I figure reducing Still Spell to be +0 would be ideal (negates arcane spell failure altogether). Problem is, every metamagic reduction I've seen either can't reduce below +1 or can't be incorporated into my build (it's a wizard gish essentially). Does anyone know of anything I can use to accomplish this?

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 03:22 PM
If you are Dragonblooded, I'm pretty sure that Practical Metamagic from RotD would work. Silverbrow Human is a dragonblooded human (Dragon Magic).

Otherwise, a dragon magazine has Easy Metamagic, but I don't recall if it can reduce penalties to less than 1.

Its not hard to reduce ASF significantly, but you need access to a few different books to do it. What do you have access to? I've seen people get Mithril Full Plate down to 0% without too much trouble.

darbythegambler
2011-01-27, 03:24 PM
i have access to everything except dragon magazine

Saint GoH
2011-01-27, 03:26 PM
Twilight Mithral Fullplate has an ASF of like 15% right? 1 level dip in Spellsword negates that completely.

All from memory so prolly not right...

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 03:27 PM
Check Races of the Dragon then. Its called Practical Metamagic. I forget if it'll go below 1 or not. If so, be a Silverbrow Human (or a Forestlord Elf, or Glimmerskin Halfling, or one of the other Dragonblooded base races).

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-27, 03:38 PM
Abjurant Champion boosted Greater Luminous Armor gives +13 AC (an additional effective +4 against sighted melee attacks) for 2 hours per caster level and illuminates the area as a daylight spell.

Elric VIII
2011-01-27, 03:43 PM
Easy Metamagic cannot lower your ASF to less than 1, but it's Dragon Mag anyway, so not an issue.

Spellsword (Comp Warrior) is an excelent dip due to 2 good saves, +1 BAB, +1 spellcasting, and - 10% ASF.

Mithril (DMG) is another -10%, but only on metal armor.

Feycraft armor template (DMGII) is an additional -5%, ask your DM id this can also be Githcraft (DMG II) for another 5%.

Twilight (BoED and PHBII side note) is a +1 armor enhancment that adds another -10%.

For 5300 gold you can get a +1 Twilight, Feycraft, Githcraft Breastplate with 0% ASF.

With one level in Spellsword you can get a +1 Twilight, Mithril, Feycraft, Githcraft Full Plate with 0% ASF for 15600 gold.

Note: The earliest entry into Spellsword is level 7 with a 1/2 BAB caster class for 3 levels and a Full BAB class for 3 more levels.

EDIT:

Abjurant Champion boosted Greater Luminous Armor gives +13 AC (an additional effective +4 against sighted melee attacks) for 2 hours per caster level and illuminates the area as a daylight spell.
This isn't that great for a gish, since it hase a sacrifice of 1d3 strength damage.

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 03:49 PM
Note: The earliest entry into Spellsword is level 7 with a 1/2 BAB caster class for 3 levels and a Full BAB class for 3 more levels.
Since the 4th level of any class gives +1 BAB, a better entry would be FullBAB2/Caster4, as in Paladin2/Sorcerer4, the typical leadin for a Sorcadin.

This isn't that great for a gish, since it hase a sacrifice of 1d3 strength damage.

Sacrifices are made after the duration ends. With AbjChamp, a CL 6 GLA will last 12 hours, about as long as a standard adventuring day. At the end of the day, use a Rod of Body Restoration or simply a Wand of Lesser Restoration to heal.

darbythegambler
2011-01-27, 03:52 PM
not to be too nit-picky, but can the options for what kind of armor I should have be refrained from? getting these kinds of items will probably be impossible since the DM for this game generally has us in areas where more powerful materials and armor are more often found than bought

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-27, 03:59 PM
As Keld mentioned, sacrifices are made when the duration ends. So, if you pop it twice in a day, you'll be fine barring a dispel.

not to be too nit-picky, but can the options for what kind of armor I should have be refrained from? getting these kinds of items will probably be impossible since the DM for this game generally has us in areas where more powerful materials and armor are more often found than bought

Greater Luminous Armor is a 4th level spell, so you'll be fine if you go that route.

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 03:59 PM
If you use Suel Arcanamach as your caster base, you can get -20% really easy with Suel Arcanamach4/Spellsword1. Suel also extends all of your spells for free, and gives you a +6 CL to resist dispels. This is really useful if you can otherwise increase your CL (such as with AbjChamp5's Martial Caster ability).

X6/Suel4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5 is a great build, especially on an Illumian chassis.

Elric VIII
2011-01-27, 04:04 PM
Since the 4th level of any class gives +1 BAB, a better entry would be FullBAB2/Caster4, as in Paladin2/Sorcerer4, the typical leadin for a Sorcadin.

Sacrifices are made after the duration ends. With AbjChamp, a CL 6 GLA will last 12 hours, about as long as a standard adventuring day. At the end of the day, use a Rod of Body Restoration or simply a Wand of Lesser Restoration to heal.

Both very good points. Eventually your Luminous Armor spells will last a few days per casting, with Abj Champ/Extend Spell.