PDA

View Full Version : Too many good character ideas

Paseo H
2011-01-27, 04:42 PM
My game already has Loads and Loads of Characters, and I keep coming up with more to put in. :smallfrown:

Anyone else have this problem? How do I stop it?

Elfin
2011-01-27, 04:46 PM
That's not necessarily a problem, depending on what you mean. Are you talking about new PCs? NPCs? Something else?
What exactly is the problem you've encountered?

Greenish
2011-01-27, 04:47 PM
Step 1. Make a numbered list.
Step 2. Roll dice.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit.

valadil
2011-01-27, 04:49 PM
You don't have to use all your ideas in the game you're in/running now. Just write down the idea so you don't lose it and stash it somewhere. Then when you're hurting for ideas, look in your stash and you'll have something already written. This doesn't just apply to characters, but also plots, puzzles, dungeons, boss fights, etc.

Paseo H
2011-01-27, 04:57 PM
NPCs.

I suppose one solution is, realize that life itself has Loads and Loads of Characters and thus not everyone needs to be present, so it's okay if you make someone and then forget to include them after awhile, maybe their time is over.

Elfin
2011-01-27, 05:06 PM
There's no need to forget them; as Valadil suggested, you can keep a binder or similar of NPC ideas. You'll definitely find some use for them on future games (or even later in your current one).

Gustaff
2011-01-27, 05:11 PM
My games also suffer from that; I keep a track of all the NPCs so when i run another game on the same scenario I can use them again.