PDA

View Full Version : Praise of a Random Firefox Feature

GreatWyrmGold
2011-01-27, 05:32 PM
I am glad Firefox includes spell check. Least among its many benefits is that a moment ago it taught me that "Spellcheck" is not a word. More importantly than that is a combination of having trouble spelling words (even ones like "benefit") and my sesquipedelian loquaciousness (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SesquipedalianLoquaciousness). Combining these with the fact that I have a tendency to miss or hit extra keys would mean that most of my posts would be completely unreadable.

Now if only real life had spell check...

Elfin
2011-01-27, 07:40 PM
I think this applies. (http://xkcd.com/198/)

Firefox really is great, though, isn't it?

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-27, 07:43 PM
Chrome also has a spell check.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-27, 07:46 PM
The spell check isn't perfect, and homonyms will trip anyone up, but it was the reason I installed Firefox in the first place.
This was in the hoary days before Chrome you understand.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-28, 02:50 PM
I have never used my spellcheck on Firefox.
:smallcool:

Dragero
2011-01-28, 07:44 PM
Opera also has spell check, and along with its other features, makes me love it the most.

Thufir
2011-01-28, 08:35 PM
I have never used my spellcheck on Firefox.
:smallcool:

I came here to say this as well.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-28, 09:00 PM
I came here to say this as well.

I simply never need to make use of one.
:smallsmugandinsufferable:

Trog
2011-01-28, 09:03 PM
Forget spell check, I like AdBlock Plus, myself. :smallwink:

Thufir
2011-01-28, 09:16 PM
I simply never need to make use of one.
:smallsmugandinsufferable:

...you thought I did? :smallconfused:
The only reason I use the spellcheck in Word is because I don't like my documents to be full of little red and green lines.

I actually don't even know how to use the Firefox spellcheck, because it has never come up.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-28, 09:25 PM
...you thought I did? :smallconfused:
The only reason I use the spellcheck in Word is because I don't like my documents to be full of little red and green lines.

I actually don't even know how to use the Firefox spellcheck, because it has never come up.

No, I didn't.
The same goes for me with Word and Firefox's spellchecks - I've never browsed the settings in order to turn them on or off because I've never needed to.

Mercenary Pen
2011-01-28, 10:37 PM

Agreed, that and NoScript do a decent job of keeping away most of the annoying stuff.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-30, 03:32 AM
Tabs.
I am not sure if Firefox invented it, but they changed how we browse.

grimbold
2011-01-30, 07:17 AM
Tabs.
I am not sure if Firefox invented it, but they changed how we browse.

i agree
changed my life
also OP
are you one who is fond of hippomonstrosesquedipelianism?

Castaras
2011-01-30, 07:24 AM

This. Adblock is god.

Kitchen-Slayer
2011-02-02, 01:31 AM
Sure, I may be using the beta of Firefox 4, but Themes.

Just giving your Firefox a background is surprising how much it really makes your browsing experience feel personal instead of "hey, look, I'm on the net. Awesome."

Just wish they'd update Persona to 4.0, but well, that will come in due time. It is a bet after all

Gullara
2011-02-02, 02:04 AM
I am glad Firefox includes spell check. Least among its many benefits is that a moment ago it taught me that "Spellcheck" is not a word. More importantly than that is a combination of having trouble spelling words (even ones like "benefit") and my sesquipedelian loquaciousness (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SesquipedalianLoquaciousness). Combining these with the fact that I have a tendency to miss or hit extra keys would mean that most of my posts would be completely unreadable.

Now if only real life had spell check...

Chrome also has a spell check.

Opera also has spell check, and along with its other features, makes me love it the most.

I think based on these we can see that we aren't really saying we like our respective browsers because they have spellcheck. What we're really saying is that we dislike Internet Explorer because it doesn't.

Chrome forever!

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-02, 02:11 AM
Spell checker is a lifesaver if you have stupidfingers syndrome like me. Or if you never learned to type, like me.

Not a fan of adblockery myself. It hurts the sites you visit the most. Don't you want to support them most of all?

Seriously though I have seen people get banned from sites for admitting to blocking the ads.

lesser_minion
2011-02-03, 07:49 AM
Not a fan of adblockery myself. It hurts the sites you visit the most. Don't you want to support them most of all?

In Opera at least, that's one of the many uses of the magical F12 key.

Otherwise, I don't really see the need for Adblock -- there are not so many providers of ads that occasionally having to make use of your right mouse button is going to kill you.

On-topic, Opera's feed reader gets my vote.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-04, 02:46 AM
Kids these days... In my day we had to spell everything right when we typed it on the computer or it wouldn't load.