PDA

View Full Version : Wild Sorcerer PEACH

randomhero00
2011-01-27, 06:00 PM
Same as normal sorcerer except they can pick and choose whatever spell they want to cast at anytime (they know all level appropriate spells from wiz/sorc list). The drawback? They are creating spells at whim so if they roll too low the magic can backfire easily. Think spell to power erudite sort of, but with different drawbacks. Spell slots still apply though.

State your spell you'd like to cast, then roll a D20.
1 spell backfires, does full damage to you if possible, if not then lasts 3 times as long, in addition roll a 1d4 (see table below)
2 spell backfires, hits you
3 spell misses and hits an unintended target closest to you (enemy or friend)
4 spell simply doesn't work
5 spell hits a different enemy than the one you targeted (if no other enemies it fizzles or hits an object)
6-7 pick a different spell of the same level to cast instead
8-19 as normal
20 You get to apply a free metamagic affect to the spell

Can only apply metamagic when rolled 10-20.

"Table"
Roll a .... '1' Stunned 2 rounds (in addition, even if the spell stuns, then add on the extra time) Also roll again. If you roll '3' '1's on a row in addition to the above you lose spellcasting for 1d4 hours.
.....a '2' stunned 1 round
.....a '3' dazed 2 rounds in addition
......a '4' dazed 1 round

Limitations: Due to his wild nature he has trouble crafting, reading scrolls, or using wands. There is an additional 50% chance of failure whenever he does any of the above.

Capstone at level 20: When targeted by a spell, roll a d20, 15+ you absorb the spell and regain one spell slot of your choosing.

What do you think?

When in doubt about a spell backfiring it fizzles and caster takes 1d4 damage per caster level.

Pyromancer999
2011-01-27, 06:18 PM
Last I checked, Sorcerers were spontaneous. Do you mean any spell off of the spell list?

Amnestic
2011-01-27, 11:22 PM
Sounds more like a 'Wild' Sorcerer than a Spontaneous one. If you're going from that angle, I suggest adding/replacing one effect with:

"#: Spell effect is replaced by spell effect rolled from the Wild Magic Effects Table"

As for which Wild Magic Effects table...a few ideas:

1) Use the one from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
2) Create a spell list yourself to roll off of.
3) Use something like the Arcane Spell Scroll Lists (DMG 239-241) to roll out a spell to replace it with, perhaps using the highest spell level the Sorcerer can cast, or the highest+1.

Just a few ideas *shrug*

firemagehao
2011-01-28, 12:18 AM
saying "all level appropriate spells" gives them access to hundreds if not thousands, from wizard/sorcerer lists alone. Saying "all" also gives them access to other spell lists, such as the dread necromancer's, and the Duskblade's. This could too easily be abused by anyone with a spell compendium. Also, the rules for rolling the d20 only work for spells like magic missile. What about summoning spells? What about healing spells that deal positive energy damage? What about radius effect spells that automatically center on you? Even worse, in a game that (because this is a homebrewed class) allows homebrew, what odd spells would he have access to? Saying "whatever spell they want at any time" could remove the spells per day limit. Spellcasting is overpowered enough already.

An example of how this could be abused: A sorcorer gets bored. He desides to cast suggestion on every person he sees out his window. He goes at it for an hour. Each minute, he gets 8 sucesses. After an hour, he has 480 people doing his bidding.

randomhero00
2011-01-28, 12:58 PM
Last I checked, Sorcerers were spontaneous. Do you mean any spell off of the spell list?

Ya I couldn't think of a better name.

PS I meant all wiz/sorc spell list.

I'll change the list a bit to switch spells occasionally.

randomhero00
2011-01-30, 04:07 PM
Is that better? How balanced compared to a wizard?

Benly
2011-01-30, 04:16 PM
Not every spell fits sensibly into the system you described. How does, say, Fabricate backfire? Or Blockade?

randomhero00
2011-01-30, 04:22 PM
Not every spell fits sensibly into the system you described. How does, say, Fabricate backfire? Or Blockade?

When in doubt, it fizzles and you take 1d4 damage per caster level.

Basically 5 and under is utter failure.

6 and 7 are random results that may or may not be in your favor.

Everything above is success. nat 20 is a free metamagic.

firemagehao
2011-01-30, 11:55 PM
Now that everything is clarified, I would suggest having some side effect from being able to cast so many spells on a whim. A wizard only has so many spells available each day, and a sorcerer only has so many available. To have access to them all...

centuriancode
2011-01-31, 05:57 AM
Since spell slots still apply, the too many spells in a day isn't a major issue.

For me, the bigger issue is that you can essentially create a batman that no longer even has to think cleverly about what would be an appropriate spell. The strength of a wizard is that they have a spel for every occaision, they just can't use them all at once. The strength of a sorceror is that they always have access to all their spells, but they have a very limited range. Take out that limited range, or the limited access, and the creation is incredibly unbalanced, even with the d20 backfire chance (the practicalities of which are a separate can of worms).

In order to rebalance that, you'll need to have some sort of very potent nerf. For example, the Ultimate Magus has stupidly large numbers of spells and very cheap metamagic, but can be up to three spell levels behind. That's the sort of penalty you'd need. To tie in with the rest of the premise, I'd keep the chance of retribution (I quite like the idea, if not the execution), but make it much nastier. Something along the lines of:

"roll a d20. On a two to seven, something has gone horribly wrong. The summoned creature turns on you, the fireball explodes in your hand, or a similar effect. Essentially, whatever advantage the spell would have granted you and your allies (be it damaging the enemy, healing your friends, strengthening fellow party members, or anything else), that advantage is reversed to create a disadvantage (damaging you, healing the enemy, etc.). On a natural one, roll on the table below to determine the truly horrific result [I'm sure you could create a table of severe violence and pain]. On a natural 20, a free metamagic ability of your choice is applied to the spell (this is regardless of whether or not the character could ordinarily use that effect)."

First, I believe that this simplifies the results table and makes it more generally applicable (any good DM should be able to reverse a spell's advantage very easily - wish could require ingenuity, but it could be done). Second, the natural one becomes a good deal more disastrous (assuming a sufficiently terrifying backfire table). These are the things that you build needed.

Also, to fit in with the unpreditable, unquantifiable nature of the class, I would remove access to finessed abilities, such as craft wand/potion/etc. and put severe limits on metamagic that didn't come via the natural 20.

randomhero00
2011-01-31, 03:26 PM
cent- there I added in severe limitations for crafting, wand usage, and scroll usage, and a small table for a 1 roll. easy to remember as you still take full damage or 3 times as much negative affect, but in addition you are also stuned or dazed for one or two rounds. Easy to remember that way. Oh, and he can only apply metametagic if he rolls a 10 or above due to his wild arcane energy.

randomhero00
2011-02-05, 04:01 PM
Added a bit to the table. If you roll 3 ones in a row you also lose 1d4 hours of spellcasting ability.