PDA

View Full Version : Xykon's Crown [spoilers]

Crazeemeel
2011-01-27, 06:25 PM
I was rereading the section in War and XPs where Roy and Xykon are fighting on the undead dragon and Xykon takes the crown back when I wondered if Xykon was really telling the truth about the crown being nonmagical.

It does fall in character that Xykon would impulsively attack a very powerful wizard just to steal a crown he thought looked cool, but Xykon also acts stupider than he is and might have been smart enough to decide that telling Roy that the crown had no special properties would be a good way to throw him off.

Also, Xykon saw the crown while taking a tour through Eugene's master's tower. Therefore I would think that the crown must have some sort of significance that is magical, historical, or otherwise that makes it something that is worth being put on display.

I hope I'm not late on the bandwagon here and this subject hasn't already been beaten to death. Thoughts?

The Wanderer
2011-01-27, 06:37 PM
It does fall in character that Xykon would impulsively attack a very powerful wizard just to steal a crown he thought looked cool, but Xykon also acts stupider than he is and might have been smart enough to decide that telling Roy that the crown had no special properties would be a good way to throw him off.

Regarding Xykon: do remember that Xykon took the crown when he was still human, before the extra intelligence granted by becoming a lich. Back then he was just as dumb as he acts, so that adds to the chances of it being purely impulsive and him continuing to wear it after his transformation out of habit, as a trophy, and the badass factor.

Also, Xykon saw the crown while taking a tour through Eugene's master's tower. Therefore I would think that the crown must have some sort of significance that is magical, historical, or otherwise that makes it something that is worth being put on display.

Eh, remember that value is purely in the mind of the beholder. (Not the monster either :smallwink: :smallsmile:). There may be some signifigance that would make it important to Fryon or his visitors, but Xykon could have easily taken it without knowing or caring about that.

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-27, 07:21 PM
While I do feel that there is a pretty good chance the crown is more than what it seems, Xykon or Fyron being aware of that, I think, detracts from the joke that this whole story stems from two super-powerful old men fighting over (what they perceived to be, at least) a fashion accessory.

Kish
2011-01-27, 08:27 PM
Roy and Eugene assumed whatever Xykon stole must have been magic. The point of the joke is that nonmagic items are irrelevancies barely worth acknowledging in D&D.

Amusingly, people on the forum share Roy/Eugene's perception.

Crazeemeel
2011-01-27, 08:57 PM
Roy and Eugene assumed whatever Xykon stole must have been magic. The point of the joke is that nonmagic items are irrelevancies barely worth acknowledging in D&D.

Amusingly, people on the forum share Roy/Eugene's perception.

Well the fact that this idea is so widely accepted is one of the only things that causes me to be suspicious that it might not be the case. I'd like to check if anyone might have seen any small clues hidden in the comic as to extra significance to the crown. Probably not, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

And it does seem more likely as well that if the crown does have any special significance, no one really knows what it is.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-27, 10:02 PM
I find it unlikely that the crown will gain any more significance after all this time. It was an interesting plot point (messing up Miko's detect evil ability) and a funny joke, and that's about it.

LuPuWei
2011-01-28, 02:30 AM

In fact we've seen Xykon lie outright about a magical artifact already (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html).

That's no toy! That's Dorukan's headband!

factotum
2011-01-28, 02:37 AM
In fact we've seen Xykon lie outright about a magical artifact already (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html).

To borrow the words of Lord Shojo--they can teach you to detect evil, but not sarcasm?

LuPuWei
2011-01-28, 02:46 AM
To borrow the words of Lord Shojo--they can teach you to detect evil, but not sarcasm?

Well, that's kind of the point right? It's pretty much the same as when he tells Roy that the crown is a useless artifact- in fact I think he's more likely to say something like that just to mess with Roy's innate sense of self.

I'm just saying that if the question is whether Xykon would downplay the value of something in his possession (whetever be the reason), there is precedent. (or at least another example, seeing as the wheaties statement actually follows the crown event)

Mr. Snuggles
2011-01-28, 06:29 AM
If the crown's not magic, then what ever was it doing in Master Fyron's collection? Why would Fyron have taken it in the first place?

It detected as evil - can nonmagical items have alignment?

Kish
2011-01-28, 06:35 AM
Well the fact that this idea is so widely accepted is one of the only things that causes me to be suspicious that it might not be the case.
"One of the only" is a meaningless phrase.

And what do you mean by "so widely accepted"? Every time someone brings up the crown, it's, "So we all know the crown's actually magical despite what Xykon said, what do you think it does?"

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-28, 08:30 AM
It detected as evil - can nonmagical items have alignment?

Not normally, but the in-comic explanation was that Xykon's evil wore off on it, which seems like a fairly plausible instance of creative license.

Trixie
2011-01-28, 01:15 PM
Back then he was just as dumb as he acts, so that adds to the chances of it being purely impulsive and him continuing to wear it after his transformation out of habit, as a trophy, and the badass factor.

Eh, I'd disagree with that.

Well, that's kind of the point right? It's pretty much the same as when he tells Roy that the crown is a useless artifact- in fact I think he's more likely to say something like that just to mess with Roy's innate sense of self.

[shrug] Well... that is more likely than it being junk, but it might fall both ways.

Crazeemeel
2011-01-28, 06:30 PM
"One of the only" is a meaningless phrase.

And what do you mean by "so widely accepted"? Every time someone brings up the crown, it's, "So we all know the crown's actually magical despite what Xykon said, what do you think it does?"

Well I'm not the most frequent poster on the forum, but I haven't heard any dispute over the idea that it is nonmagical, which leads me to believe that there aren't many people that contest the statement. But if it has already been heavily enough discussed that it isn't considered "widely accepted", then I stand corrected.

And I will ignore your first comment since I'd rather not argue about something so pointless.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-29, 01:21 AM
Maybe it's made of precious metals to an incredibly high standard of craftsmanship, and that's why Fyron owned and proudly displayed it? Maybe it once belonged to an important historical figure?

No, those are silly ideas. It has to be either magical or worthless, and since Fyron wouldn't own something worthless, it has to be magical. :smallsigh:

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-29, 01:49 AM
Maybe it's made of precious metals to an incredibly high standard of craftsmanship, and that's why Fyron owned and proudly displayed it? Maybe it once belonged to an important historical figure?

No, those are silly ideas. It has to be either magical or worthless, and since Fyron wouldn't own something worthless, it has to be magical. :smallsigh:

Great Points Crying old Cartoon faced buddy!!!

grimbold
2011-01-29, 02:41 AM

That's no toy! That's Dorukan's headband!
this
it is likely that it is magical
however he may not have used the crown for its magic yet

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-29, 02:45 AM
Except, as said above, Xykon wasn't actually trying to convince Tsukiko it was just a little toy he found one morning in his Wheaties. It was a figure of speech.

The Succubus
2011-01-29, 06:42 PM
transformation out of habit, as a trophy, and the badass factor.

REALLY badass. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html)

King of Nowhere
2011-01-29, 07:30 PM
I don't think there's any kind of consensus over the crown being magic or not. But I would bet that, even if it is magic, Xykon himself doesn't know it.

The Pilgrim
2011-01-29, 09:12 PM
If the crown's not magic, then what ever was it doing in Master Fyron's collection? Why would Fyron have taken it in the first place?

You might as well ask the Brits why they keep the Crown Jewels locked down in the Tower of London, if they are non-magical.

T.H. Everything
2011-01-30, 05:38 PM
Not quite the same thing, as magical items don't exist in the real world.

factotum
2011-01-30, 05:47 PM
Not quite the same thing, as magical items don't exist in the real world.

Maybe not, but even in a world where magic exists, there are precious items which are NOT magical in any way. As a simple example, the Greenhilt Sword that Roy carries was, as far as we know, not magical (or at least, not *very* magical) before the starmetal reforging in Azure City, but it was a family heirloom and thus had value beyond its lack of magic. Heck, Eugene could have chucked the thing out if he'd wanted to, and given his relationship with his father that wouldn't have been surprising, but he nonetheless kept it on proud display in his home!

This crown could be something similar. It could be a Fyron family heirloom that was precious purely because of the family association...

rewinn
2011-01-30, 06:28 PM
This crown could be something similar. It could be a Fyron family heirloom that was precious purely because of the family association...

Clearly it is an artifact-level Crown Of Jerkwater Detection.

As in, "If you kill someone to take possession of this, you're a real jerkwater!"