PDA

View Full Version : Fists and Spells

Elric VIII
2011-01-27, 06:32 PM
So, my group apparently has another new member (for those keeping track that's the third in 2 weeks). I have not been asked to build a character, but the concept of Cleric/Monk came up and that got me thinking about possibilities.

The feat Improved Unarmed Strike lets you deliver touch spells with an unarmed strike (CMage). Snap Kick allows you to make a second attack any time you would make one attack.

- Can I cast (for example) Inflict Light Wounds, deliver it with my 1st unarmed strike and also attack with a second one due to Snap Kick?

- If I miss with the first attack in the above scenario, can I attempt to deliver the spell with my Snap Kick attack?

- For spells like Holy Sword or Blade of Blood, do my fists count as a melee weapon for purposes of these spells?

Psyren
2011-01-27, 06:50 PM
The rules you want are here: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#standardCastaSpell)

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

To answer your questions:

- Can I cast (for example) Inflict Light Wounds, deliver it with my 1st unarmed strike and also attack with a second one due to Snap Kick?

No, only the first successful hit will deliver the spell. After that it is discharged and you must cast it again.

- If I miss with the first attack in the above scenario, can I attempt to deliver the spell with my Snap Kick attack?

Yes - as per the rules above, if you miss you are still holding the charge and can attempt to deliver it with a subsequent attack.

- For spells like Holy Sword or Blade of Blood, do my fists count as a melee weapon for purposes of these spells?

While I haven't read those individual spell descriptions, by default a monk's unarmed strike counts as both a natural and manufactured weapon (whichever is more beneficial to him.)

Elric VIII
2011-01-27, 06:55 PM
No, only the first successful hit will deliver the spell. After that it is discharged and you must cast it again.

I don't mean "do I get two spells," I mean can I attack with a normal unarmed attack because of Snap Kick. Sorry for the confusion there.

Thanks for the other answers, it's exatly what I was hoping for.

Psyren
2011-01-27, 07:00 PM
I don't mean "do I get two spells," I mean can I attack with a normal unarmed attack because of Snap Kick.

Yes, the only change to your attack routine is that the first successful hit discharges the spell. You get additional attacks, secondary attacks etc. normally.

Hanuman
2011-01-27, 07:01 PM
There's a feat which allows you to use your wis mod for unarmed or natural attacks I believe.

Psyren
2011-01-27, 07:03 PM
There's a feat which allows you to use your wis mod for unarmed or natural attacks I believe.

That would be Intuitive Attack in BoED:
- It applies to all simple weapons too; the weapon must be sized for you.
- you have to be Exalted (i.e. Gooder than Good) which doesn't fit with every character concept unfortunately.

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 07:19 PM
If you had a touch spell like Chill Touch, which has multiple charges before its dispersed, you could get multiple applications with multiple attacks. Most other touch spells, however, would not.

And yes, if you were a Monk (and only a Monk, not just a mook with IUAS), you could cast Holy Sword on your fists, and you could use Blade of Blood with your fist. If you took Versatile Unarmed Strike, you could probably even Whirling Blade with your fists, which is kinda cool.

ROCKET FISTS!

Hanuman
2011-01-27, 08:37 PM
If you had a touch spell like Chill Touch, which has multiple charges before its dispersed, you could get multiple applications with multiple attacks. Most other touch spells, however, would not.

And yes, if you were a Monk (and only a Monk, not just a mook with IUAS), you could cast Holy Sword on your fists, and you could use Blade of Blood with your fist. If you took Versatile Unarmed Strike, you could probably even Whirling Blade with your fists, which is kinda cool.

ROCKET FISTS!
Ring the Golden Bell would be an easy feat to add 30' to your unarmed strikes.

Elric VIII
2011-01-28, 12:12 AM
Well, who could say no to ROCKET FISTS? I don't know about exalted, since I am unaware of what exatly is happening in chargen. Thank you for the responses.