PDA

View Full Version : WarBlade Weapon Aptitude

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 08:32 PM
I had a question about Weapon Aptitude, from the Warblade class. Could you use that ability to change weapon proficiency feats from one weapon to another? Could this be used to change proficiency with one of the martial weapons you get as a default to an exotic weapon?

Thanks.

AslanCross
2011-01-27, 08:34 PM
As far as I can tell, no. The default profs you get aren't feats, but are a class feature.

Sinfonian
2011-01-27, 08:42 PM
I had a question about Weapon Aptitude, from the Warblade class. Could you use that ability to change weapon proficiency feats from one weapon to another? Could this be used to change proficiency with one of the martial weapons you get as a default to an exotic weapon?

Thanks.

I'm relatively certain that the Warblade Weapon Aptitude ability only allows you to change the weapon that a feat applies to, rather than the feat. It might be debatable if you could swap a Martial Weapon Proficiency for a weapon you are proficient with for one you don't have, like one of the ranged weapons (though I sincerely doubt it). However, I think you certainly can't have it work for a feat you don't already have, in this case Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

In short, no you can't get Exotic Weapon Proficiency for free.

Edit: I agree with Aslan_Cross, I'm always leery of anytime someone describes racial/class proficiencies as feats just because you can gain them from feats as well (for example, as seen in the elf Dark Chaos Shuffle that gets mentioned every so often).

DeltaEmil
2011-01-27, 08:43 PM
You can change Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Doubleswords) into Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Superduperswords), but you couldn't change Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longswords) into Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Doubleswords or Superduperswords), because that's not the same feat.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-27, 08:45 PM
Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

begooler
2011-01-28, 12:36 AM
Also note that weapon aptitude applies to feats for a single weapon, not to weapon groups, so even if your class proficiency did count as 'a feat' it would still not be applicable since you can only change feats that apply to a single weapon.

faceroll
2011-01-28, 12:42 AM
Edit: I agree with Aslan_Cross, I'm always leery of anytime someone describes racial/class proficiencies as feats just because you can gain them from feats as well (for example, as seen in the elf Dark Chaos Shuffle that gets mentioned every so often).

It's totally legit with a Chaos Shuffle, albeit extraordinarily cheesy.

Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-28, 09:26 AM
It's totally legit with a Chaos Shuffle, albeit extraordinarily cheesy.

Chaos Shuffle hurts my soul. Whenever someone brings it up I throw-up in my mouth a little bit.

Escheton
2011-01-28, 11:53 AM
You probably could if you are using the UA weapongroup variant.