PDA

View Full Version : Heart of . . . hate?

isotunknown
2011-01-27, 10:47 PM
What's the deal with some of the "Heart of" line of spells hate I've seen out there. I think they're pretty good. Long duration, adds useful bonuses, has a sudden helpful spell available at each level, and the combination of these spells offers light or heavy fortification. What's not to like?

Yes, it's four spell slots, but together, that heavy fortification is a nice perq.

I'd love to get others' assessments of these spells.

Hammerhead
2011-01-27, 10:50 PM
What hate is that?

I've never seen Water or Earth get anything but love. And Air and Fire rarely get anything other than a quiet 'eh.'

ffone
2011-01-27, 10:52 PM
What hate is that?

I've never seen Water or Earth get anything but love. And Air and Fire rarely get anything other than a quiet 'eh.'

Are you referring to the ritual spells for Summon Captain Planet?

isotunknown
2011-01-27, 10:57 PM
What hate is that?

Off the top of my head, A Man In Black described the line as "so so" in the druid handbook on BG. To me, these are swell spells. So so is . . . well, so so.

Hammerhead
2011-01-27, 11:08 PM
No, BUT I SHOULD BE.
to the homebrewmobile!

tyckspoon
2011-01-27, 11:37 PM
Off the top of my head, A Man In Black described the line as "so so" in the druid handbook on BG. To me, these are swell spells. So so is . . . well, so so.

Earth and Water, as mentioned, are pretty awesome; the standard benefits for them are pretty nice (long-lasting temp HP from Earth, a Swim speed from Water, some minor miscellany), and the discharge effects give you some potent defensive effects at a moment's notice. And the hour/level duration makes them eminently suitable to be always-up buffs. Air and Fire are..meh. Really. Air makes your Fly speed a bit faster and gives you a Jump bonus. And it can be discharged for.. Feather Fall. Yup. Huzzah. Fire improves your land speed (but enhancement, so it doesn't stack with any of the dozen other items and spells that do the same thing, and which you almost certainly already have if you care about this at all.. which you don't, because when you can use level 5 spells you're flying or teleporting any time your movement speed matters,) gives you Fire Resistance, and can be discharged for Fire Shield. It's not *bad*, but it's also not self-evidently good enough to justify its spell slot the way the Earth and Water effects are- the best argument for using Heart of Air and Heart of Fire is that, if you're already using Earth and Water, you may as well use the other two to get the crit-immunity bonus.

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 12:13 AM
You can get crit immunity from Elemental Body, which has a duration of hours/level as well. Its 6th level, but its worth it. Air aspect gets perfect fly speed, totally worth it.

blackmage5242
2011-01-28, 12:16 AM
Where is the Heart of line of spells from?

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 12:18 AM
Complete Mage

Akal Saris
2011-01-28, 12:39 AM
I'm a fan of them personally. Not sure why A Man in Black doesn't like the spells.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-28, 01:32 AM

Oh man, I used to watch that show all the time way back when; I'd completely forgotten what it was even called :smallbiggrin:.

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-28, 10:08 AM
I like the Heart of spells . . . especially on a Runestaff and even for a Druid. A Man in Black is usually spot on. My guess is that he was acknowledging that some of the spells by themselves are not superior. But together (and Earth and Water alone) are really solid.

isotunknown
2011-02-05, 08:02 PM
Thanks all. This is helpful.