PDA

View Full Version : Monster-San (possible spoiler about future plots)

Sengachi
2011-01-27, 11:20 PM
I've looked and looked. But I've have yet to find any mention of my realization, so I feel compelled to make a thread about it.

Monster-san is the The Snarl's SON (daughter, whatever)!

I feel it rather obvious. The idea first occurred to me during this strip
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0651.html
but I feel it has been supported in other strips.

He is nigh invincible. Redcloak and Xykon know a good deal of his background. Xykon, possibly the strongest non-godly being in existence, freely admits to his overwhelming power. He only knows of one of his kind, his father, who is much bigger and eats a great deal. His identity reveal is is obviously important to the plot. He has EPIC level magic, which is inherited through his bloodline, and unrelated to any actual effort. I mean really, casting an epic level spell with no effort, with no prior magical experience? Also, he can annihilate the earth, opening hundred-meter chasms with a stomp. Snarl MUST have a reason for not leaving the rifts, what better reason than a son out and about in the world? And this one is pretty weak, but he can't see the gates.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0103.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0117.html

Xykon heavily implies that Monster-san is stronger than him. His ace-in-the-hole. His work on Monster-san's big reveal implies he is scarier than Xykon. This is before we know of his ability to freely cast Epic-level magic.
Let's put this straight
1. Stronger and scarier than Xykon w/out magic.
2. His dad is STRONGER than that!
3. Free epic-level magic.
4. Invincibility.
5. The only things we've ever heard of being as strong as his dad would have to be are the stronger gods and Snarl.
6. I cannot see Redcloak mocking the Dark One's son (it mentions he knows what Monster-san is).
7. Also, the Dark One is not mentioned as eating a great deal, whereas Snarl is.

While I don't have time to post every strip I believe supports this, I will continue to post strips on occasion, maybe one or two a week.

Any suggestions or rebuttals would be appreciated, IF you back them up.
Thank you for commenting.

HappyBlanket
2011-01-27, 11:32 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156178

gitp requires I post with at least ten characters, but I feel I can speak with less.

Elfin
2011-01-27, 11:32 PM
It's a neat idea, but unfortunately Rich has said that the CITD will be an established monster, not something he made up.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-27, 11:33 PM
While I don't have time to post every strip I believe supports this, I will continue to post strips on occasion, maybe one or two a week.

Let the rebuttals begin.
No need, they're already collected here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156178). "Son of Snarl" is probably the single most-frequently proposed fan idea for the monster, even more so than Tarrasque, and all arguments in its favour have been thoroughly shredded by this point.

Sorry. :smallsmile:

Sengachi
2011-01-27, 11:47 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that the makers of OotS had already commented on this. Ah, well. Better to learn this way than not at all.

Zeofar
2011-01-27, 11:50 PM
It's a neat idea, but unfortunately Rich has said that the CITD will be an established monster, not something he made up.

Strictly speaking, Sengachi is proposing a relationship (albeit one commonly proposed), not a racial identity. There are strong arguments against the said relationship, but that isn't one.

NerfTW
2011-01-28, 12:43 AM
A far better argument against it, and pretty iron clad, is that in SOD:

Both the hunters who catch him and Redcloak recognize him as part of a species, one who's traits are known. (doesn't normally speak common or live in the jungle)

That completely eliminates a one of a kind creature like the Snarl's offspring.

Morquard
2011-01-28, 12:52 AM
No, technically speaking he said we would recognize it when it is revealed and that he always knew what it was and that there are hints that make it obvious (at least in hindsight), and not something that makes no sense at all.
I'm not sure he actually said the words "I didn't make it up" but that's sort of implied.

What that means is that it can be pretty much everything. Even the snarl as you can argue that the concept of a world eating monster born out of deity disagreements is not something Rich invented.

However there's one BIG reason why it is NOT the snarl or the snarl's offspring (slight SOD spoiler):
why would Xykon and Redcloak recognize what the MitD is if it is of the same species as the snarl? They've never seen the snarl before

Edit: Darn you NinjaTW!

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-28, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure he actually said the words "I didn't make it up" but that's sort of implied.
"It isn't something I made up just for the story" is a direct quote from Rich.

What that means is that it can be pretty much everything. Even the snarl as you can argue that the concept of a world eating monster born out of deity disagreements is not something Rich invented.
You'd better have your sources in order in that case. I've certainly never heard of another one.

However there's one BIG reason why it is NOT the snarl or the snarl's offspring (slight SOD spoiler):
why would Xykon and Redcloak recognize what the MitD is if it is of the same species as the snarl? They've never seen the snarl before
There's also the fact that we have no evidence whatsoever that the Snarl can eat or sleep, let alone teleport people.

Elfin
2011-01-28, 01:20 AM
Here's the relevant passage:

[The MITD] isn't something I just made up for the story. It wouldn't be any fun for the answer to a mystery be something I invented just for this one purpose, would it? I won't finally throw back the darkness and have someone say, "Look! It was a therblewurkersaurus all along!" or some other made-up monster.

While it's possible to interpret that as not excluding something already introduced in the story, it says pretty clearly that the MITD's species wasn't created by Rich.

But we're getting needlessly complex here. The various 'One of these' lines are adequate proof against it being the Snarl's progeny.

Edit: Gah, swordsage'd.

Cizak
2011-01-28, 02:21 AM
A far better argument against it, and pretty iron clad, is that in SOD:

Both the hunters who catch him and Redcloak recognize him as part of a species, one who's traits are known. (doesn't normally speak common or live in the jungle)

That completely eliminates a one of a kind creature like the Snarl's offspring.

Also, Redcloak says "I know what you are". If it was Snarl's son, ya don't think Redcloak would've reacted more? :smallwink::smalltongue:

The Pilgrim
2011-01-28, 09:11 AM
I've looked and looked. But I've have yet to find any mention of my realization

Try looking at the title of the thread about MitD speculation.

SMEE
2011-01-28, 10:09 AM
We already have a thread for this.
Please continue your discussion here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156178).
Thread closed.