PDA

View Full Version : An amazing phenomenon

fizzybobnewt
2011-01-27, 11:29 PM
I don't know this works for anyone else, but it works for me. When I'm listening to an audiobook, or something similar, and simultaneously playing a video or computer game, I do a lot better on the game than I do without an audiobook. I focus on the story, and play the game almost subconsciously (so it has to be a skill sort of game, not one that requires thinking) and before I know it, I've beaten the level, or beaten my high score, depending on the game. I just beat my high score on 3 different modes of "Tilt to Live", in a row, because I was listening to the Girl Genius Radio Theater podcasts! (Which are awesome, but you kind of have to have read the comic, which is awesome too, so no biggie.) So the point of this thread is both to spread knowledge of this... strategy, or whatever you want to call it, and to ask if you know of any great podcasts I should get, or any places on the webbernet where there are free audiobooks to download. I've run out, you see.

Anxe
2011-01-28, 12:12 AM
{Scrubbed}

As for your awesome strategy, it doesn't work for me. Glad you've found something that works for you.

Elfin
2011-01-28, 01:08 AM
I've never listened to an audio book, actually, but I might have to try this just so I can finally beat my highscore on DoodleJump...thanks for the tip.

Corlindale
2011-01-28, 03:10 AM
I'm a great fan of www.librivox.org

It's good if you like older literature, since it only contains books with expired copyright. That said, it's a huge collection of classic works, all free. I use it all the time.

Keep in mind that all the books are read by volunteers, though. This means that quality can vary, but usually it's possible to find something quite good, and most well-known works can be found in 2 or 3 different versions, so with patience you can usually find something that works for you.

As for the phenomenon you describe, I can't say I've really experienced it. I listen to audiobooks only when playing games which require little mental activity (Diablo 2, WoW (when grinding), etc...) - but then again I haven't played any really hard sections of said games while listening, so maybe I just haven't pushed myself sufficiently :smallsmile:

rakkoon
2011-01-28, 05:21 AM
I'm better at video games and bowling after 2 beers. After three it goes down again so there is no world championship cup in my near future.

Delorges
2011-01-28, 12:35 PM
Not with audiobooks, but I noticed I'm better at video games as you described when I'm not concentrating too much on it and rather daydream while playing.

Anxe
2011-01-28, 02:51 PM
A moderator approved version of what I said earlier.

You can get audiobooks from your local library. Don't rip them though, that's illegal. Just listen to them in your computer or CD player and then return them.

Sipex
2011-01-28, 03:42 PM
I've noticed this too. I can do much better if I'm not 100% focused on a skill based game.

Like Halo for instance, I play online with friends and tend to do a lot better when we're having a discussion while playing (we party chat so no annoying others, no worries).

Partof1
2011-01-29, 04:29 PM
Well, not audiobooks, but I remember when I bowled, I did better when I played a song in my head. Probably the same principle, whatever that may be.

ForzaFiori
2011-01-29, 06:40 PM
I do better with music playing. Never tried audio books though

Cealocanth
2011-01-30, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty sure this phenomenon occurs because the rhythm that the song gives, even the slightest, will give you something to sinc your actions with. I've found that music helps with skiing, bowling, video games, test taking, avatarism, and even D&D combat. I've heard that the ability to sinc your actions in a way that improves your performance is caused because the sensory information from your inner ear travels through and stimulates the area that controls athletic performance.

Isn't the internet just a font of knowledge?

Volos
2011-01-30, 02:38 AM
A friend of mine suggested to try this to get better at certian types of games. As it turns out this works for me with puzzle style games and Legend of Zelda games. Everything else I require the sound in order to play. I can do a decent run on most 2D games with nothing but sound guiding me. I have played a FPS with surround sound system and without my glasses (I can't see past my nose) and have done better than when I was wearing my glasses and having music instead of the game's sounds. It all depends, but this method usually doesn't work for me.