PDA

View Full Version : (3.X) Level 2 Beguiler- What to buy?

MrSinister
2011-01-28, 12:01 AM
Playgrounders!

I am playing a halfling beguiler 2 in a game this Saturday and I can't seem to figure out what to spend my 900 gp on... So far, I've gotten masterwork leather armor and masterwork thieves' tools. Aaaaaand.... that's about it.

All books and magazines, etc. are fair game. As far as character concept, I am going for Mr. Stealth with some bluff thrown on top for when I do get caught. I have stupid high ability scores due to a really generous rolling method.

I thought to pile up on scrolls, but since Beguilers know all their spells, I don't see the utility of having rarely cast spells on scroll, since I can just, you know, cast them on the fly. If it matters, I'm going for illusion over enchantment.

Any help would be highly appreciated!:smallsmile:

Vangor
2011-01-28, 12:17 AM
If you're the trapmonkey for the group, might I recommend a Chronocharm of the Laughing Rogue from MIC? 500g, lets you reroll 1/day a disable device check, after you know whether or not the check succeeded and before the trap triggers. Quite helpful, plus can be added to with other Chronocharms which are all inexpensive (500g each) and have some nice uses.

gorfnab
2011-01-28, 12:27 AM
Silent Portal Disk (MoF) - 360gp
Eternal Wand (MIC) - 820gp
Dull Grey Ioun Stone (DMG 3.0) of Continual Flame - 135gp

Otherwise look into these threads:
Beguiler Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322.0)
Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)

begooler
2011-01-28, 12:27 AM
Dungeonscape has a few useful tools to add to your theives tools, such as hacksaws, drills, periscopes. If you like to play problem solver, they could be good for some interesting solutions.
Ultimate Equipment Guide has a few nonmagical items that can help you be stealthy, such as the Tabi Boots.
Perhaps also a stash of some alchemical items?

Oh, and I like to carry around a bottle of wine or two to bribe guards or make Molotov Cocktails.

MrSinister
2011-01-28, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the fast input, I shall check these toys out.

Here is another question. One other player is playing a halfling swashbuckler/rogue and story-wise we are old army buddies. So, I forsee me being this guy's flanking buddy, using the beguiler cloaked casting while he sneak attacks like a fool.

SO

Any items or ways to pimp out my Concentration check so I can color spray in melee with mad impunity?

begooler
2011-01-28, 02:08 AM
There's a spell, Aiming At the Target that gives you a +10 circumstance bonus to concentration checks to cast. However, it's on the sorcerer/wizard list only, and its abjuration, so you can't learn it.
There's also the feat Combat Casting, however, it becomes a lot less valuable at later levels and can be a trap unless you're going to use it to qualify for another feat or PRC.

Some other methods instead of casting defensively include just bulking up your AC or other defenses that prevent the enemy from hitting you on the attack of opportunity, obviating a concentration check.

You could also try to cast from a safe square then 5 foot step in to be in flanking. Next round, five foot step out again and cast. The disadvantage is that you'll only be providing flanking every other round.