PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Feat Question

kayden87
2011-01-28, 11:14 AM
Hey again guys, I have this character I made up for fun. hes a Dwarf Totembarb11/EWM1/Fighter2

he has leap attack, power attack, impbullrush and all that good stuff
( dont need advice on the class/race or anything )

My question is..

How many feats can you activate per round?
1. Leap Attack
2. Totem Feat Pounce
3. Power Attack
4. Shock Trooper
5. And maybe spring attack to jump back 20 yards

My DM is saying thats kinda alot of feats for 1 turn. Is there a page in one of the core books saying how many feats you can use?

Amphetryon
2011-01-28, 11:18 AM
Feats are not like spells, psionic powers, or maneuvers. Provided the criteria for their use is otherwise met, you can use them, limited only by those criteria and any specific verbiage in the feats. Cleave, for instance, limits how many things you can hit in a round, while Great Cleave is less restricted.

Coplantor
2011-01-28, 11:21 AM
Also, Leap Attack builds on Power Attack, and so does Shock Trooper, they are just expansions of an aquired ablity.

kayden87
2011-01-28, 11:30 AM
Oh ok! That makes sence. So its still ok to spring attack after my full attack/charge? Cause im a dwarf and my move speed is limited to 20ft per round

Greenish
2011-01-28, 11:33 AM
So its still ok to spring attack after my full attack/charge?No. Charging is a full round action.

Coplantor
2011-01-28, 11:34 AM
Oh ok! That makes sence. So its still ok to spring attack after my full attack/charge? Cause im a dwarf and my move speed is limited to 20ft per round

I dont think so, as far as I know, spring attack doesn't work with charge. Might be wrong though, I've never cared for spring attack.

Caylus
2011-01-28, 11:44 AM
Nope, the feat description of spring attack says: "When using the attack action", so you can't use it after taken the full-attack or charge action.

So spring attack isn't really useful, but you can use the rest at once, so you can jump while charging --> make a full attack with pounce --> use shock troop to dump your AC to fuel power attack --> kick some butt!

kayden87
2011-01-28, 11:44 AM
Oooh ok. So how does a charger leap each round? Or do i charge every second. Cause the stuff my gm makes us fight is all largr + size, so cant really bull rush them back

Douglas
2011-01-28, 11:47 AM
While there is no limit on number of feats used per round, you do have to satisfy each feat's requirements. For Spring Attack specifically, you can't combine it with a charge. A charge is its own special full round action, while Spring Attack works specifically with the normal standard action attack.

Oooh ok. So how does a charger leap each round? Or do i charge every second. Cause the stuff my gm makes us fight is all largr + size, so cant really bull rush them back
A really optimized charger either A) does so much damage that he'll be switching targets every round because every target dies in one round or B) has some way to move or teleport 10' as a mere swift or free action. Preferably both.

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 11:48 AM
Spring Attack can't be combined with charging. As Greenish said, charging is a full round action. Spring Attack also has an action cost. Just like you normally can't cast 2 standard action spells in a round (cause you only have one standard action), you can't perform multiple actions if those actions require resources you don't have (because you spent them).

That said, there is really no arbitrary limit to the number of feats you can actually use in a round. I mean, if you had a Goliath Fighter20, you could, all at once on a full attack use:

Weapon Focus: Morningstar
Weapon Spec: Morningstar
Greater Weapon Focus: Morningstar
Greater Weapon Spec: Morningstar
Weapon Supremecy: Morningstar
Melee Weapon Mastery: Bludgeoning
Brutal Strike
Crushing Blow
Three Mountains Style
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Sunder
Combat Brute (Sundering Cleave)
Improved Bullrush
Knockback
Shocktrooper (Domino Rush)
Dreadful Wrath

Thats 17 feats all drawn on in the same round, essentially. I'm sure you could work in a couple more passive ones, such as assigning a Dodge target, having the HP from Imp Toughness, making a number of saves while utilizing things like Steadfast Determination or even Lightning Reflexes, etc. So no, there is no arbitrary limit on the number of feats you can actually use in a round, only the number of actions you can take, which may disqualify you from using certain feats that require similar action costs.

EDIT:

This is doable with swift action movement. Things like Anklets of Translocation or Travel Devotion allow you to move back as a swift action, which leaves your full round action open to CHARGE!

Person_Man has an excellent guide to pounce and free movement, you should look it up. (google "Person_Man guide to pounce and free movement")

kayden87
2011-01-28, 11:52 AM
Perfect. Amazing info ty guys. But still wondering what to do on second round with charger tho

edit: sorry juss saw your edit about movement ;P

Escheton
2011-01-28, 11:57 AM
Charge someone/thing else.

Dip swordsage, take some throwing maneuvers. Then toss your foe 20 ft, charge them again next turn...

Deathslayer7
2011-01-28, 12:07 PM
Or just full attack them. I've built a semi-optimized charger with the Power Attack, Leap Attack, and Shock Trooper.

I can deal a 100+ damage on a charge. So it is pretty lethal. Most spellcasters can't survive that. This is at level 13.

trade in 13 AC for power attack. Two handed weapon doubles that to 26. Leap Attack and that 26*3 (again two-handed) going up to 78 damage just from power attacking. Then you still add in 1d8 from the longsword + 1.5 from my strength (which as at +10) then +2 from Greater weapon Sepcialization.

Gives me 1d8+17+78 or on average 99.5 damage per charge at 13th level. IF a full attack cant kill him after that, then he's either a fighter, which you should be fighting anyway, or the DM is pulling shenanigans.

Only bad thing is your AC takes a really really big dive. If anyone just as strong as you are is full attacking you, or going to hit you, your hp will have a nice chunk taken out of it.

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 12:10 PM
Or just full attack them. I've built a semi-optimized charger with the Power Attack, Leap Attack, and Shock Trooper.

Combat Brute would make this a great option. Momentum Swing (one of it's powers) is a great followup to a Shocktrooper charge, allowing you to PA for 3:1 with a 2hander on the round after you charge.

kayden87
2011-01-28, 12:33 PM
Combate brute for the turn "of" or next turn

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 12:38 PM
Next turn. Check it out, its in Complete Warrior. Momentum Swing is the relevant ability of Combat Brute.

Basically:

Round 1: Charge with big PA penalty.
Round 2: Full attack with 3:1 PA damage bonus.
Round 3: GOTO 1.

kayden87
2011-01-28, 02:25 PM
Oh ok, and thats where the boots of tele come in :) ty all so much for the info

Diarmuid
2011-01-28, 02:28 PM
Anklets of TP are in the Magic Item Compendium

kayden87
2011-01-28, 04:03 PM
The way shock trooper is worded i can only do -ac/+dmg after a charge. So how often does leap attack hit and deal max dmg if u minus all off the.hit? Or am i missing something

Telonius
2011-01-28, 04:29 PM
The way shock trooper is worded i can only do -ac/+dmg after a charge. So how often does leap attack hit and deal max dmg if u minus all off the.hit? Or am i missing something

That's the thing - you don't subtract anything from the hit. Basically what happens is, you trade a bunch of AC for the ability to do a whole bunch of extra power attack damage. Normally, if you were applying Power Attack, you'd subtract a bunch of that to add to your damage. But with Shock Trooper, instead of subtracting from your to-hit, you subtract from your AC to get the bonus damage.

Let's say you have a BAB of 10, to-hit of 18 (+2 weapon, +4 strength, and +2 from charging), an AC of 20, and regular damage of 2d6+8. If you used just a full Power Attack, you'd have to-hit of 8, AC of 20, and damage of 2d6+28. Using Shock Trooper, you'd instead have to-hit of 18, AC of 10, and damage of 2d6+28.

kayden87
2011-01-28, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah, i k.ow how shock trooper works for a full round attack. But it states in the text.for heedless charge that u gain the benefits after the charge. And leap attack is durring the charge. So i was wondering if leap aatack cant get -ac+dmg

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 04:38 PM
By "after the charge" them mean when you make your attack at the end of your movement. When they say "during the charge", in Leap Attack, they are refering to the JUMP part, not the attack.

kayden87
2011-01-28, 04:42 PM
Ahh ok. So it works then. Im at work so no acess to books atm. Stupid samsung and not being able to DL adobe reader and pdfs