PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Gish spells to choose?

Squark
2011-01-28, 02:40 PM
I've been building a warforged Gish for a pbp campaign here, but I'm not sure what spells to take after a few obvious ones (Bull's Strength, Mage Armor, Shield*). We have access to the Complete books, The PHB 1&2, Unearthed Arcana, the Ebberon Campaign Setting, and Magic of Eberron (It's an Eberron campaign, obviously). I thought about taking the Battle Domain from Unearthed Arcana, but I'm wary of the fact that Domain Wizard seems to get an extra spell of each level for nothing at all (I don't like specializing). I don't want anything too crazy, I just want to make a character who is decent at what he does (buffing himself and then fighting)

We start at 4th level (Warforged Fighter 1/Domain Wizard 3), and I still have 3050 GP to spend (only bought a +1 greatsword), although I can only buy one more non single use item (DM's rule)

Current Spell List

1- Mage Armor, Shield, Endure Elements, Alarm, Tenser's floating Disk, Magic Missile, Feather Fall, and Repair light Damage. Battle Domain gives me True Strike as well
2- Bull's Strength and Unseen Crafter (Unseen servant that makes craft checks and last for 1 day/caster level. Allows me to repair myself while I "sleep"). Battle Domain gives me Protection from Arrows.

Also, what should I use my last 4 skill points from my first level of fighter? I've since maxed out Concentration, Craft (Blacksmithing) (for self repair), Spellcraft, and Knowledge (Arcana), but I'm at a loss for what to use the last 4 points on. And I still have a fighter feat from trading my familiar and scribe scroll for (Unearthed Arcana again). (Already have Combat Reflexes and Power Attack).

*Before you ask, Enlarge Person only affects humanoids. So apparently my character isn't a person.:smallfurious:

2xMachina
2011-01-28, 02:52 PM
I think Artificer would be better. They're good for warforged buffs.

If you're staying Wiz, it'll be interesting to go Swiftblade later.

For spells, I don't think there are many good buffs at low lvls. Most of them start at lvl 3 spells.

But Complete Arcane has Fist of Stone (1). Good Str buffs, and get another slam attack.

Squark
2011-01-28, 02:57 PM
Hmm... Remind me, how do prestige classes like Abjurant Champion or Eldritch Knight interact with Artificer? Specifically, will my caster level increase, or do only classes that specifically say they enhance infusion use work?

Also, swiftblade is from online, I believe, so I think the DM would axe it. I don't remember the class well enough (It's the one that's obsessed with Haste spells, right?), to say anything more.

Hammerhead
2011-01-28, 02:59 PM
Alter Self for Animated Item forms would be kind of incredible. Both in terms of stealth and for turning into pretty much any item the party needs at the time.

Wraithstrike will be fantastic when you have the spell slots for it. It's in CAdventurer.

False Life is handy if you'll be taking hits. And you probably will be taking hits.

Whirling Blade is neat, but again, you'll get more out of it when you have spell slots to spare. I think it's also in CAdventurer.

arguskos
2011-01-28, 03:04 PM
Unseen Crafter (Unseen servant that makes craft checks and last for 1 day/caster level. Allows me to repair myself while I "sleep")
Warforged don't sleep. You can repair yourself. Why waste a spell on it? :smallconfused:

Burnheart
2011-01-28, 03:10 PM
Yeah but he needs 8 hours of rest per day to get his spells back.

Squark
2011-01-28, 03:10 PM
Warforged don't sleep. You can repair yourself. Why waste a spell on it? :smallconfused:

Because, if IIRC, You can't do anything remotely strenous during your 8-hour period of rest to regain spells- I.E. make craft checks.

EDIT: Swordsage'd. Also, how would fist of stone's slam attack interact with my racial slam attack?

2xMachina
2011-01-29, 03:19 AM
Might overlap, depending on DM. If warforged slam is used with the body, it stacks. If their slam is from the fist, it overlaps. (But the damage is 1d6, and you also get +6 Str)

Runestar
2011-01-29, 05:09 AM
Alter self? You can choose astral constructs. The 3HD version grants +8NA. :smalltongue:

Squark
2011-01-29, 11:02 AM
Which would, IMHO, be filed under "So dumb no sane DM would allow it"

+8 NA with one first level spell? Bleh.

2xMachina
2011-01-29, 11:10 AM
Lol, Dragonwrought gets 8NA and 200 fly speed with that spell. Also become tiny.

Squark
2011-01-29, 11:14 AM
See my previous post. AKA why Polymorph was stupid.

The spell really ought to have only worked for humanoids... like enlarge person.

I'm not against optimizing a character, but Alter Self shenanigans cross a line, frankly.

2xMachina
2011-01-29, 11:14 AM
Yeah. I just meant it as: It could be worse.