PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Luck

Doughnut Master
2011-01-28, 02:43 PM
I'm considering adding in another ability stat for my players, that being Luck. I'd like the bonuses to work like any other stat. The special purpose would be that once a day, a player can "feel lucky" before a d20 roll and apply that bonus to their roll. So it can be important in certain situations, but it doesn't break things.

I'm also considering that if they put in low scores to get a penalty, then I get to do the same, penalizing their rolls once per day.

Thoughts? Improvements? Or is there a better system for this already out there?

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-28, 05:02 PM
I'm considering adding in another ability stat for my players, that being Luck. I'd like the bonuses to work like any other stat. The special purpose would be that once a day, a player can "feel lucky" before a d20 roll and apply that bonus to their roll. So it can be important in certain situations, but it doesn't break things.

I'm also considering that if they put in low scores to get a penalty, then I get to do the same, penalizing their rolls once per day.

Thoughts? Improvements? Or is there a better system for this already out there?

There's a rule on this IIRC, from the Advanced Dungeon Master's Guide or Advanced Player's Handbook, both 3rd party books for 3.0/3.5

blackmage
2011-01-28, 05:45 PM
Related to the flavor of Luck, Complete Scoundrel introduced Luck feats, which allow you to reroll a certain type of roll one or more times a day for each Luck feat they take.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-28, 09:52 PM
Action points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm), from Unearthed Arcana, are probably what you want.

Doughnut Master
2011-01-29, 12:35 AM
Cool. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Although I probably won't use the emulate feat or extra attacks etc. parts.