PDA

View Full Version : [Any] Rules-lite systems?

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-28, 04:31 PM
I'm working with a group of new role-players, and I need some ideas for a new game for the group. As much as I love ludicrously complex systems like Hackmaster or JAGS, I'm looking for something very rules-lite. I'm familiar with a few, like CoC, nWoD (if that counts...), and a few others. I think something easy to pick up and learn could go a long way towards helping these new gamers learn what it's all about. Any ideas?

dsmiles
2011-01-28, 04:33 PM
Risus.

Both rules-light, and free!

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-28, 04:34 PM
Did you try Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm)?

Raum
2011-01-28, 05:04 PM
...I'm looking for something very rules-lite. I'm familiar with a few, like CoC, nWoD (if that counts...), and a few others. I think something easy to pick up and learn could go a long way towards helping these new gamers learn what it's all about. Any ideas?Can you tell us more about what you're looking for? What do you want the system to do for you? What type of games do you want to run? Do you see this as a permanent system or an entry into one of the more complex systems you're familiar with?

If you just want ideas to go look at, Risus has been mentioned, Wushu is another very lite game, FATE (or Fudge) is worth looking at, True 20 is similar to d20 (good entry drug so to speak), Savage Worlds is good for tactical action, and Cinematic Unisystem is worth a look also.

Unrest
2011-01-28, 05:20 PM
Warrior, Rogue and Mage, to be found at rpgnet for free. It is totally rules-lite, and at the same time more specific than RISUS (honestly, people with not that quick and colourful an imagination have a hard time in RISUS). If you like Final Fantasy, Dust's FF2d6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173958) - simple and good, and helpful if you see your group going into more complicated systems in the future. Spirit of the Century for pulp goodness. Mouse Guard, while not free, is one of the most beautiful out there and with a unique atmosphere; it uses the Burning Wheel mechanics and encourages heavy-ass roleplaying.

Other than that... man, there are tons of setting-specific free RPGs. Just entering stuff like "free rpg lists" into Google can direct you to sites with Hundreds listed. (I tried to make one here on the forum but it was thwarted, well, by people telling me of those sites.) There you'd just have to look around for which description fits your taste best.

Kylarra
2011-01-28, 05:32 PM
Paranoia is "rules lite" ... as far as the players know. :smallamused:

gbprime
2011-01-28, 05:36 PM
I'm partial to QAGS (http://www.hexgames.com/qags/downloads/file/1-qik-start-download), myself.

Knaight
2011-01-28, 05:57 PM
I'm partial to Fudge personally, avoiding the FATE adaptation. Its free, but similar enough to "standard" systems to be easily picked up.

Kiero
2011-01-28, 06:26 PM
Whenever someone claims they want "really rules-lite" I always think they really mean "lighter than D&D".

Risus (already mentioned), Wushu, There Is No Spoon, The Pool and InSpectres are all undeniably light. But possibly too light for what the OP is expecting.

Knaight
2011-01-28, 06:30 PM
We have everything up to Burning Wheel suggested. Pretty much the entire spectrum of lighter than D&D is covered, so there shouldn't be an issue. Now, homebrew (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dLz59cxeHwXyd8oq1EQ9qB3eZKK1hr54E6igXR-Rlww/edit?hl=en) time. Its currently my favorite super light system. Its also the only super light system I've personally made. The jury is out regarding how related those points are.

Clepto
2011-01-28, 07:33 PM
Paranoia is "rules lite" ... as far as the players know. :smallamused:

I have to second this. It says in the rulebook that the players are not allowed to know the rules without express permission from Your Friend The Computer. It even goes so far as to say that if they display knowledge of the rules, you can (and are expected to) punish them in-game for it.

Hell, even as the GM, you don't actually have to know the rules. You can pretty much do whatever you want. As actual written proof of this, on the Game-master screen, every single table has an entry at the bottom labeled "GM Fiat".

I love Paranoia, and it's a hilarious game, but it's honestly not for everyone. If you want to try it, stick with ParanoiaXP. XP is the newest version, and it has different "game modes" that let the GM pick just how ridiculous (or serious) he wants the game to be.

I'd definitely read the book before you even suggest it to your players though. It's quite different.

Ozreth
2011-01-28, 07:46 PM
Castles and Crusades. Takes the MOST basic elements of 2e and 3e and strips them down ever further, combining them into a streamlined, easy to pick up and play rules light system. Takes 5-10 minutes to make a character and the same amount of time to get through any fight regardless of the level. Pretty sure you can download the starter rules and adventure in PDF format for free from drive thru rpg.

Clepto
2011-01-28, 08:11 PM
Also, the lightest game I know of is Minimus (http://www.adastragames.com/downloads/RPGs/Minimus.pdf). The whole game can be printed on two standard sheets of 8.5 x 11, front and back.