PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Necromancer Wizard...Is it worth it?

Maho-Tsukai
2011-01-28, 06:28 PM
As the title says. I have a better viewpoint on wizards using necromancy with the recent threads showing me how a 3.5e wizard can have an undead army that can match the size and scale of a cleric's via using subtle tricks to get control of undead which do not count against his control limit. While some of those tricks(such as becoming a Necropolitian, spellstitching yourself with spells like Create Dread Warrior and going to town having a potentially infinite number of undead minions) are not applicable in pathfinder without porting 3.5e stuff into it I was looking at the Necro wizard in pathfinder and was wondering if he's worse or better at being a necromancer with a massive undead army then the 3.5e wizard is....

Now, I know "clerics are better at undead armies" but while, yes, a cleric can animate more undead then you and still pull spawning tricks just like the wizard can the HD of undead that the cleric can make dose not matter since both of your armies are potentially infinite...and even then in pathfinder there is no deathbound domain power and necro wizards get rebuke which means the only thing a cleric has on a wizard as far as animating stuff goes is desecrate and animate dead at an earlier level.

While desecrate IS a big advantage overall if a wizard and a cleric can both make infinite undead via controlling a shadow and other incorporeals the only really difference between the two of them is that the cleric's army will have more corporal undead then the Wizard's force will but the wizard can still match the cleric's numbers with shadows/wrights/any kind of undead which can make spawns since spawning can create infinite undead theoretically. Thus both the cleric and the wizard will, no matter what way you look at it, will never actually surpass each other number wise since both of their "control limits" will be infinite if using spawning tricks.

However, that's not the point. The point is that I want to know if the pathfinder wizard getting rebuke makes it any better at necromancy then the 3.5e wizard? I also want to know if being a pathfinder wizard without adding 3.5e's vast range of necromancy spells like Shivering Touch(and it's lesser cousin), Create Dread Warrior ect..is actually worth it since Arcane Necromancy took a rather big, nasty hit in pathfinder seeing how once all-star spells like ray of enfeeblement have been heavily nerfed and save-or-dies have now all become blasty spells for the most part?