PDA

View Full Version : A question about extradimensional spaces... (3.5)

The-Mage-King
2011-01-28, 06:42 PM
So, if one were to be trapped, somehow, in a Bag of Holding or similar, what could they do to escape? Assume a full caster, of at least level 18.

lokoone
2011-01-28, 06:57 PM
err.. plane shift?

The-Mage-King
2011-01-28, 07:01 PM
...Aaannnddd I had forgotten about that. Thanks.

Volos
2011-01-28, 07:47 PM
Even assuming level 0... stab the bag. Hard. :smallamused:

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-28, 07:56 PM
@Volos: The bag is just a portal. It doesn't actually exist on the inside.

Volos
2011-01-28, 08:00 PM
@DragonOfUndeath:
If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#bagofHolding)

Enjoy.

Lapak
2011-01-28, 08:00 PM
@Volos: The bag is just a portal. It doesn't actually exist on the inside.The fact that a bag of holding rupture if sharp objects are put in it suggests that this is not the case.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-28, 08:04 PM
Didn't see that bit. That actually makes stabbing it a REALLY BAD option. All contents are destroyed completely.
If you stab the bag you die.

Ionizer
2011-01-28, 08:09 PM
The fact that a bag of holding rupture if sharp objects are put in it suggests that this is not the case.

Right, it's simply larger on the inside than the outside. The mouth of the bag opens into a finite extra-dimensional space, whose boundaries have the strength and properties of a cloth (or burlap, or whatever the outside is made of) sack. Make sure your swords are in their scabbards before chucking them into your bag of holding.

Lapak
2011-01-28, 08:12 PM
Didn't see that bit. That actually makes stabbing it a REALLY BAD option. All contents are destroyed completely.
If you stab the bag you die.
Well, by purest RAW it says all objects inside are lost forever. Creatures aren't objects; therefore, what happens to them is up to the DM. :smallwink:

EDIT: Wow, did I misread that. Never mind!

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-28, 08:18 PM
Well, by purest RAW it says all objects inside are lost forever. Creatures aren't objects; therefore, what happens to them is up to the DM. :smallwink:

EDIT: Wow, did I misread that. Never mind!

Contents not Objects. Everything is destroyed

NichG
2011-01-28, 08:19 PM
Lost and destroyed are different. You might just end up drifting on some random plane, which would be enough to 'lose' an object. Bit of an auto 'make me a plot hook' act though. Planeshift is safer.

Animate object seems like it might be amusing. Order the bag to invert itself.

Waker
2011-01-28, 08:31 PM
So the lesson to be learned from this thread is that you need to load a bag of holding up until just before it bursts, then make some kind of modified attack (I would imagine the standard -4 Improvised weapon would work) roll against a target for an instant death attack that allows no save or SR. Since it doesn't discriminate between objects and creatures, golems and undead aren't safe. Nor do many mages prepare a contingency for "if I happen to get stuffed into a bag of holding." Also since it isn't a grapple check or movement impairing, Freedom of Movement wouldn't save you either.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-28, 08:40 PM
Well, given the original reason for this question (the bag of holding inside a bag of holding's non-magical storage trick), I think that my question is answered.

Although... What happens if a Portable Hole is put into a Belt of Many Pocket's pocket while in an AMF? I presume the hole does not count as being placed inside another extradimensional space, and nothing bad happens, but...

Why yes, this is for a Lich to hide his phylactry in. How did you guess?

Stegyre
2011-01-28, 08:42 PM
So the lesson to be learned from this thread is that you need to load a bag of holding up until just before it bursts, then make some kind of modified attack (I would imagine the standard -4 Improvised weapon would work) roll against a target for an instant death attack that allows no save or SR. Since it doesn't discriminate between objects and creatures, golems and undead aren't safe. Nor do many mages prepare a contingency for "if I happen to get stuffed into a bag of holding." Also since it isn't a grapple check or movement impairing, Freedom of Movement wouldn't save you either.
You're making it too complicated: just get them into an empty BoH, then slice the BoH with a sword from the outside.

That way, you don't lose all those other things you were otherwise cramming into the BoH.

Waker
2011-01-28, 08:50 PM
I didn't say that the stuff inside the bag had to be equipment. Wouldn't it be a fine slap in the face if as an All-Powerful Magus some upstart walked up to you, threw a bag over your head and inside said bag were piles of garbage and refuse...and then you stop existing.

As an extra note, the benefits to overloading a bag as opposed to cutting it yourself are the actions required. Assuming you were a low level character limited to one attack per round you just had to get him in the bag. If you went with the attack, you would at least have to be allowed an extra attack in the round. You certainly wouldn't want the enemy to get out of the bag while you waited for the next round.