PDA

View Full Version : Sniper PrC PEACH

Deathslayer7
2011-01-29, 02:06 AM
The Sniper:

Pre-Reqs: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot, Weapon Focus (any Crossbow)

Sneak Attack +3d6

Hide 8 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Disguise 4 ranks

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Ref Save|Fort Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Sneak Attack (+1d6), +5' to Sneak Attack Range

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Greater Weapon Focus (Crossbow Chosen), Sharp-Shooting,

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1|Sneak Attack (+2d6), +5' to Sneak Attack Range

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Quick Getaway

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Sneak Attack (+3d6), +10' to Sneak Attack Range

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+2|Quick Getaway

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|Sneak Attack (+4d6), +10' to Sneak Attack Range

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+2|Quick Getaway

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack (+5d6), +10' to Sneak Attack Range

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+3|Head Shot[/table]

Hit Die: d8

Skill Points: 4+Intelligence

Skills: Hide, Bluff, Disguise, Gather Info, Spot, Listen,

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Snipers are proficient with all simple weapons, plus all bows and crossbows (not including exotic) as well as Light Armor.

Class Features: The following are class features of the Sniper.

Sneak Attack: The Sniper gains Sneak Attack similar to a rogue.

+X' to Sneak Attack: The Sniper's range when using Sneak attack increases by X amount every two levels.

Greater Weapon Focus: Starting at 2nd level, a sniper automatically gets the Greater Weapon Focus feat even if he normally wouldn't qualify for it as described in the SRD.

Sharp-Shooting: Starting at 2nd level, a sniper automatically gets the Sharp Shooting feat even if he normally wouldn't qualify for it as described in Complete Scoundrel.

Quick Getaway: At fourth level, a Sniper can make a full round action to move up to 30 feet away from any opponents without provoking Attack of Oppurtunites. At 6th level this ability is a standard action. At 8th level it is a move action.

Head Shot: At 10th level, a Sniper can deal half his Sneak Attack damage to an opponent even if that opponent would normally not be affected by it (i.e not flanked or flat-footed). If an opponnent is flanked or flat-footed, a Sniper can add half the number of dies of Sneak Attack he has to the damage dealt to the opponent. (thinking of removing)
This damage is doubled if the Sniper spends at least a round to study the target.

This is a class from what a PC of mine wants out of a "Sniper" class. Long-Range (relative to still be useful in combat and practical), a means of escaping enemies and a way of dealing high damage.

Thoughts/Critics welcome as long as they are constructive. Apologies for any spelling or grammar mistakes. It's late and i did this in half an hour after i saw the PC's insane class build and decided to modify it. It is similarly based on Order of the Bow Initiative.

Note: he is looking to use a crossbow.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-29, 02:50 AM
I have arguments mostly about Quick Getaway and Headshot.

Friend says it is no better than a 10 level rogue with two weapon fighting and it is underpowered. I see it around Tier 3 myself.

Other friend says it is still to high. Note, the wording might be incorrect on some of it, i.e. Headshot. It still would not effect undead. Just want to make that clear.

Thoughts/comments on that would be appreciated.

Fizban
2011-01-29, 06:52 AM
Quick Getaway is basically just a substitute for the Tumble skill. I'm curious as to why you're requiring weapon focus with a crossbow but not Crossbow Sniper, which would make sense. I suppose it could be so they can actually enter the class after 5th, but Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot are usually just annoying prerequisite feats anyway. I'd make it require Crossbow Sniper and then grant you Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot for free. There's no reason to involve Weapon Focus or Greater Weapon Focus at all (aside from the fact that it's a requirement for Crossbow Sniper). I'd also recommend letting him take a "Crossbow Focus" feat instead-like Hand Crossbow Focus from Drow of the Underdark, basically weapon focus and rapid shot in one feat. Basically, there are a ton of useless prerequisite feats in the ranged feat lines, and that's not cool.

The increase to sneak attack range should be properly spelled out using the language in the sneak attack description, but for right now we know what you mean. The table should list the total increase, so it's less confusing.

Comparing to TWF: well, what did he expect? TWF gets extra attacks, this doesn't. Melee sneak is easy to trigger, ranged requires constant invisibility if you want full attacks. It also lets you kill people from across the room.

The Headshot ability is comparable to the Penetrating Strike alternate class feature. Penetrating Strike gives you half your sneak attack and only works when you're flanking, so if this gives you half and only works when they're flat footed, it should be fine. I'd give it a different name though, invoking the "called shot" always colors opinions. Just call it Penetrating Shot or something and be done with it. More importantly, if you want it to matter, it has to come early. I'd actually make it an alternate version of the normal ACF- since it's easier to flank than flat-foot someone, it would actually be weaker.

You also need more class skills, and other cleanup.

So, here's my version:
The Sniper:

Prerequisites
Skills: Hide 8 ranks, Spot 8 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Disguise 4 ranks
Feats: Crossbow Focus, Crossbow Sniper, Point Blank Shot
Special: Sneak Attack +3d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Ref Save|Fort Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Sneak Attack (+1d6), Far Shot

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Sharp-Shooter [Precise Shot], Long Range +10'

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1|Sneak Attack (+2d6)

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Anti-Material Damage, Long Range +20'

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Collateral Damage, Sneak Attack (+3d6)

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+2|Sharp-Shooter , Long Range +30'

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|Sneak Attack (+4d6)

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+2|*More* Collateral Damage, Long Range +40'

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack (+5d6)

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+3|Explosive Collateral Damage, Long Range +50'[/table]

Hit Die: d8

Skill Points: 4+Int modifier

Skills: Bluff, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Gather Information, Hide Jump, Knowledge [Local], Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Snipers gain proficiency with all crossbows, including exotic variants. Additionally, they may apply the use of their Crossbow Focus and Crossbow Sniper feats to any crossbow variant.

Class Features: The following are class features of the Sniper.

[I]Sneak Attack: The Sniper's sneak attack damage increases at every odd level, as shown.

Far Shot: The Sniper gains Far Shot as a bonus feat.

Long Range: Sniper's have eyes like a hawk's, giving them an uncanny ability to hit vital areas even when they should barely be able to see them.The Sniper's ranged attacks count as sneak attacks whenever the target is within 30'+ the indicated amount, instead of just 30'. This stacks with Crossbow Sniper, so when using a crossbow the Sniper may sneak attack targets out to 60'+ the indicated amount.

Sharp-Shooter: At 2nd level, the Sniper gains Precise Shot as a bonus feat. At 6th level he gains Improved Precise Shot.

Anti-Material Damage: Every creature has a weak point, even if it doesn't realize it. At 4th level a Sniper may apply half his sneak attack damage even if the target normally cannot be sneak attacked, or is otherwise immune to sneak attack damage or critical hits. This ability only applies when using a ranged weapon against a target that is denied their dexterity bonus against your attack.

Collateral Damage: At 5th level, a Sniper's aim is so good, he can hit two organs with one shot. This ability can be used once per round as part of a normal attack roll. The Sniper takes a -4 penalty to hit with the attack, and if successful, deals twice his normal sneak attack damage with that attack. If the attack misses, the attempt is wasted.

*More* Collateral Damage:At 8th level, even a glancing wound from the Sniper can rip through the target's body and wreck multiple vital spots. This ability is that same as Collateral Damage, except it applies a -6 penalty on the attack roll, and the attack deals triple sneak attack damage if it hits. The Sniper may still only use Collateral Damage on one attack each round.

Explosive Collateral Damage: At 10th level, the Sniper has perfected the art of making foes explode with a single shot. He may now take a -8 penalty in order to deal quadruple sneak attack damage when he uses this ability, but may still only use it on a single attack per round.
There. A complete list of class skills and some decent class abilities. You may notice that the Collateral Damage feature is similar to Greater Manyshot. I actually didn't intend that at first, but when I noticed, I ran with it. This should be more than enough to appease your complaints, as it's better than Greater Manyshot and doesn't affect the rest of their attacks for the round.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-29, 01:05 PM
i'm not sure how i feel about the quadruple sneak attack damage on a single attack. That would be level 16, which would be 8d6. so he could be doing 32d6 easily.

Thats enough to one shot anyone.

vugg
2011-01-29, 01:39 PM
I like the call that Fizban suggested. sure it can do a lot of damage but it will be hard to land a hit... which kinda make it unbalanced. However, I think its about the same as a level 16 necro... i mean they can auto kill people kill its there job... o right it is...

So I like the 2nd class. Plus I like the Anti-Material Damage i like it because there have been to many times where rogues have been forced to watch there party get raped by undead/constructs because all they can do is poke at there huge damage reduction...

The start of the class is kinda weak... but give it a boost later on because of the free feats. I might even do as far as letting the class take feats as a fight would, only with a crossbow of course.