PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 and PF) Grapple, pin and incorporating PF rules...

Ozreth
2011-01-29, 03:05 AM
For starters. Is Pin a 3.0 thing? And if so, would grapple be the 3.5 equivalent?

Also, I hear that the PF rules for grapple are much more simple than standard 3.5. Is this true? And if so would it be safe to just use the PF method in my 3.5 game?

Curious
2011-01-29, 03:44 AM
Pathfinder rules are simpler for all types of combat maneuver, as it's just one flat roll against a DC determined by a few factors like BAB. You can look it up at the pathfinder srd -just google it.

pres_man
2011-01-29, 07:42 AM
For starters. Is Pin a 3.0 thing? And if so, would grapple be the 3.5 equivalent?

Also, I hear that the PF rules for grapple are much more simple than standard 3.5. Is this true? And if so would it be safe to just use the PF method in my 3.5 game?

In 3.5, if you have someone grappled, you can make a second grapple check, either in the same round if your BA is high enough and you have any attacks left, or in a following round, to pin your opponent. You have to reestablish the pin each round, though even if you fail you are still grappling at that point.

Sarakos
2011-01-29, 02:19 PM
Grapple checks in Pathfinder are a d20 roll plus your Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB, determined by Strength + BAB) versus the opponent Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD, determined by BAB + Strength + Dexterity + 10). Also if the target doesn't break free of the grapple in the first round the initiator of the grapple gets a +5 bonus to their CMB to maintain a grapple

Starbuck_II
2011-01-29, 02:39 PM
Grapple checks in Pathfinder are a d20 roll plus your Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB, determined by Strength + BAB) versus the opponent Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD, determined by BAB + Strength + Dexterity + 10). Also if the target doesn't break free of the grapple in the first round the initiator of the grapple gets a +5 bonus to their CMB to maintain a grapple

Actually in general CMD applies anything that increases touch AC but size (size mod instead). Deflection rings, Dodge, insight, etc.

Sarakos
2011-01-29, 02:41 PM
Actually in general CMD applies anything that increases touch AC but size (size mod instead). Deflection rings, Dodge, insight, etc.

Forgot about them, DM like to run lower level games so they dont usually come into account xD

Grommen
2011-01-29, 11:45 PM

You got a reference to that in the Pathfinder book. I've always assumed that but I can't seem to find the reference. Same thing with Combat Expertise. Makes sense that it would add to your CMD if your using it on the defense. But as far as I can tell it does not say one way or the other.

By the way as a general rule your CMB in Pathfinder is your Grapple modifier in 3.5 if your a medium creature. Pathfinder does not give the same bonuses for size as 3.5 does.

The feats for different Combat Maneuvers only at +2 to your related CMB instead of +4 in 3.5. However it also adds +2 to your CMD to resist any related combat maneuvers.

I like the Pathfinder Combat maneuvers. My games went from "I full attack for the round" to "I'm gonna trip them, and then tie them up in a knot Then I'll stabedy, stab, stab his ass to death"

Sarakos
2011-01-30, 03:44 AM
Not to mention the new steal, drag, reposition, etc combat manevers in the APG. Makes combat much more interesting in my opinion and gives melée a few more options to vary up their routine. The fighter can reposition an enemy to have his back to the fiery pit of doom before bullrushing him off it. The rogue can use the steal maneuver to snatch the cell guards sword from his belt and kill the guard (or just steal his keys but where's the fun in that). And now we even have a mechanic for dragging the greedy rogue kicking and screaming bloody murder for dragging him away from "his share" of the treasure which incidentally happens to be all of it :smallbiggrin: