PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever played a demilich?

Amador
2011-01-29, 07:21 AM
a few threads about demilichs lately and was wondering.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-29, 08:16 AM
I don't think that's normally a playable template.

RipperOfShirts
2011-01-29, 09:53 AM
I don't think that's normally a playable template.

You don't normally play a game where everyone is a lycanthrope, but I've seen it happen. Saying 'normal' and 'DnD' doesn't seem right to me.

Back on topic, no but I did have a character who planned on achieving demilichdom at the end, but the campaign fizzled due to people moving away.

It looks like a world of fun though.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-29, 09:55 AM
You don't normally play a game where everyone is a lycanthrope, but I've seen it happen. Saying 'normal' and 'DnD' doesn't seem right to me.

Back on topic, no but I did have a character who planned on achieving demilichdom at the end, but the campaign fizzled due to people moving away.

It looks like a world of fun though.

Lycanthropes have LA. They're designed to be playable characters if you want them to be, though they're not very good characters. Demilich is LA -, making it not intended for PC use by default. D&D's standard of 'normal' is skewed around LA and ECL, both of which epic-power templates like Demilich, Paragon, or Pseudonatural (the good version) lack.

..on that note, I wonder if anyone has ever conned a DM into believing that Alienist applies the Epic Pseudonatural template to its summons?

RipperOfShirts
2011-01-29, 09:58 AM
Lycanthropes have LA. They're designed to be playable characters if you want them to be, though they're not very good characters. Demilich is LA -, making it not intended for PC use by default.

I know, but doesn't mean it can't be something to aim for.

Even if you only get it as an end game reward and you only get the epilogue to fly around as a soul-stealing skull for a few short minutes RL time, still fun.

Either that, or just be the DM who throws one at the party as a long-term antagonist

Matamane
2011-01-29, 09:59 AM
I have, in a level 30 game.

I built him a golem suit so he could keep up appearences. I had made him an adamantine golem which he could enter and use as a proxy body. It was quite cool

Khatoblepas
2011-01-29, 10:14 AM
The Demilich does have an LA. It's +8. The ELH has a table of ECLs for monsters - the 21st level wizard is ECL33. So you need to suck up 12 levels of LA for it. It's a shame, because being a Demilich would be completely friggen awesome.

I wonder how you'd make a Demilich class. Maybe as an extension of Dread Necromancer or an epic prestige class. I've always wanted to play a Demilich.

Axolotl
2011-01-29, 10:33 AM
I've never played one myself but reading various people on the internet it actaully seems a fairly common character for games that start at epic levels.

Pokonic
2011-01-29, 10:42 AM
..on that note, I wonder if anyone has ever conned a DM into believing that Alienist applies the Epic Pseudonatural template to its summons?

Yes, I did. Very fun, very overpowerd. Those orcs never had a chance to a pseudonatural bear.:smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-01-29, 11:52 AM
Yes, I did. Very fun, very overpowerd. Those orcs never had a chance to a pseudonatural bear.:smallbiggrin:

Yogi-sothoth?