PDA

View Full Version : Item which makes a potions effects permanent

Matamane
2011-01-29, 09:57 AM
I've read in one of my books about a single use item which makes the effects of a potion permanent. I don't remember where I read it, but it was most likely in an issue of dragon or some AEG sourcebook.

Does anyone know where I can re find this item, or know of what I am talking about?

I found it, nvm

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-29, 10:25 AM
I've read in one of my books about a single use item which makes the effects of a potion permanent. I don't remember where I read it, but it was most likely in an issue of dragon or some AEG sourcebook.

Does anyone know where I can re find this item, or know of what I am talking about?

I found it, nvm

Please share in that case.

Aidan305
2011-01-29, 10:39 AM
I too, am curious about this item.

Kaww
2011-01-29, 11:00 AM

I guess that makes three of us...

Amnestic
2011-01-29, 11:06 AM
Query: Could you have a Potion of Pemanancy'd [Spell]? Obviously it'd be kinda expensive and you could probably just grab the Permanancy'd [Spell] itself rather than in potion form, just curious.

Kaww
2011-01-29, 11:13 AM
Query: Could you have a Potion of Pemanancy'd [Spell]? Obviously it'd be kinda expensive and you could probably just grab the Permanancy'd [Spell] itself rather than in potion form, just curious.

No. Potions are limited to lvl 3 spells. Permanency is a lvl 5 spell...

dsmiles
2011-01-29, 11:17 AM

I guess that makes three of us...

No, count again. I count four. FOUR, FOUR CURIOUS POSTERS HA HA HAAA!

Amnestic
2011-01-29, 11:23 AM

Duh *bonk* Silly me. You are quite correct, I had forgotten about the level limit. :smallredface:

NichG
2011-01-29, 11:29 AM

There's a PrC (Master Alchemist? something like that) that can make up to Lv9 spells into potions.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-29, 11:35 AM
There's a PrC (Master Alchemist? something like that) that can make up to Lv9 spells into potions.

Potion of Time Stop = uber-concentrated Red Bull :smalltongue:

Kaww
2011-01-29, 11:44 AM

In that case - if he can mix them, or if you drink potion xx and then potion of permanency you are fine. Or are you? Me thinks that permanency says that you have to cast the spell yourself?

dsmiles
2011-01-29, 12:27 PM
In that case - if he can mix them, or if you drink potion xx and then potion of permanency you are fine. Or are you? Me thinks that permanency says that you have to cast the spell yourself?

No, because it can be cast on another person or an object/area, as well.

Kaww
2011-01-29, 12:39 PM

No, because it can be cast on another person or an object/area, as well.

I meant to say that it has to be the same caster that casts both spells.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-29, 12:48 PM
I seem to recal that in second edition, if you drank more than one potion there was either a 3 or 1% chance for one of them to become permenant...but there was also a high probability of your stomach exploding...

Soren Hero
2011-01-29, 12:58 PM
Potion of Time Stop = uber-concentrated Red Bull :smalltongue:

or 100 cups of coffee (like in Futurama)

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-29, 01:00 PM
or 100 cups of coffee (like in Futurama)

Yeah I thought of that, but that would involve 100 potions, which would be 10 minutes of game time.

dsmiles
2011-01-29, 01:04 PM
I meant to say that it has to be the same caster that casts both spells.
That, however, is absolutely true.

You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell.
EDIT: Actually, after reading this, it could also mean that you cast the spell, then follow it with the permanency spell (which could be cast from a scroll, or a potion, or a wand, or whatever. Hmm. I think this boils down to who spends the XP, IMO.

I seem to recall that in second edition, if you drank more than one potion there was either a 3 or 1% chance for one of them to become permanent...but there was also a high probability of your stomach exploding...There was also the fun-for-all-ages Potion Miscibility Table. :smallbiggrin: Those were the days, eh?

Powerfamiliar
2011-01-29, 01:07 PM
The pathfinder alchemist has:

Eternal potion: If an alchemist drinks a potion that he extends, the effects of that potion become permanent until he chooses to make another potion effect permanent. An alchemist must be at least 16th level and must possess the extend potion discovery before selecting this discovery.

nedz
2011-01-29, 01:08 PM
I seem to recal that in second edition, if you drank more than one potion there was either a 3 or 1% chance for one of them to become permenant...but there was also a high probability of your stomach exploding...
Fun times :smallbiggrin:
Actually you could also discover a new potion effect :smallcool:

There is another problem with the potion of permancy.
I drink potion X, at the same time as caster Y casts buff spell Z upon me
I drink potion of permancy, eh, what does it target ?

Ed: sp

Mastikator
2011-01-29, 01:08 PM

That should totally be a houserule.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-29, 01:10 PM
Fun times :smallbiggrin:
Actually you couls also discover a new potion effect :smallcool:

There is another problem with the potion of permancy.
I drink potion X, at the same time as caster Y casts buff spell Z upon me
I drink potion of permancy, eh, what does it target ?

The one with the lower CL. Lower CL = less "spell" to make permanent = easier.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-29, 02:48 PM
That should totally be a houserule.

Yes it should; what were the effects of your stomach exploding? :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2011-01-29, 02:51 PM
Here's the table (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b). Sadly, no stomach-bursting antics on here. :smallfrown:

EDIT: Disregard. Exploding stomachs is the first result. I must be blind.

Andraste
2011-01-29, 02:53 PM
For an April Fools joke, they made rules for it in 3.5

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b

EDIT: Ninjas, damn. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRduXj7-A7E)

Matamane
2011-01-29, 04:33 PM
its from AEG Mercenaries. For 25000gp you can mix it into a potion to render tis effects permanent

nedz
2011-01-29, 07:04 PM
Here's the table (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b). Sadly, no stomach-bursting antics on here. :smallfrown:

EDIT: Disregard. Exploding stomachs is the first result. I must be blind.

Ironically: I note that the 00 result gives permanency :smallcool: