PDA

View Full Version : Dismissing a summons spell 3.5

graeylin
2011-01-29, 12:07 PM
In your game worlds, what happens when a mage/druid/cleric dismisses their summoning spell.

Does the creature disappear? Can the spell be dismissed once cast?

I ask, because I summoned some creatures, and now they have been co-opted against the party (turned/rebuked/commanded). Should I be able to dismiss the spell and end their existence on this plane? or does the act of controlling them somehow take that out of my control?

Psyren
2011-01-29, 12:28 PM
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Yes, both SMI and SNAI can be dismissed at will, as a standard action: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration)

(D) Dismissible

If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

As to whether you can dismiss summons that have been stolen, that would to some extent depend on the effect being used to control them; by default however, you are the originator of the spell, therefore you are the one who can dismiss it. After all, the "Dismissible" clause is part of the spell's duration - even if your summons are stolen by someone else, their duration is still based on your caster level.

As an aside, something I just realized; By RAW it requires you to speak or gesture even if the original spell was Still and Silent - so if you are bound and gagged, perhaps you can't dismiss spells?

tyckspoon
2011-01-29, 12:30 PM
Summon spells are generally marked with (D), which means they are dismissible. Dismissing a spell requires a standard action, and will end the spell as if the duration had expired.

If it was just the creatures that were stolen and not the spell itself, then yes, you can dismiss the spell and the creatures will disappear, as their existence is still tied to the spell's duration regardless of who is giving them orders.