PDA

View Full Version : The Eldritch Fist[3.5 monk/warlock PrC+feats]

PersonMan
2011-01-29, 02:03 PM
This has probably already been done before, but here we go...

The Eldritch Fist

Many say that the chaotic nature of eldritch energy could never be mixed with the discipline and focus of the monk. However, the appearance of those who follow the way of the monk while using eldritch energy has shown that this is indeed very possible. These warriors can even use this power to enhance their monk abilities, surprising enemies with surges of speed and barrages of deadly energy.

Entry Requirements:
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Ordered Chaos*
Special: Flurry of Blows, Eldritch Blast +2d6
Invocations: Must know two Eldritch Essence Invocations

*Found in the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills:
Balance(Dex), Concentration(Con), Knowledge(arcana), Knowledge(religion), Knowledge(the planes), Listen(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex) and Use Magic Device(Cha)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Invocations|
Eldritch Blast Damage

1st|+0|+2|+2|+2|Monk Abilities, Eldritch Blast|
+1 level of existing class|+1d6

2nd|+1|+3|+3|+3|Eldritch Fist|
+1 level of existing class

3rd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Eldritch Dexterity, Evasion|

4th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Flurry of Blasts, Bonus Feat|

5th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Eldritch Ki|

6th|+4|+5|+5|+5|Eldritch Speed, bonus feat|

7th|+5|+5|+5|+5|Eldritch Shield|

8th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Reactive Blast, bonus feat|
+1 level of existing class|

9th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Eldritch Mastery|
+1 level of existing class|+2d6[/table]

Weapon and Armory Proficiency: Eldritch fists gain no proficiency with weapons or armor.

Monk Abilities: An eldritch fist's eldritch fist levels stack with his monk levels to determine unarmed strike damage, AC bonus, unarmed speed bonus, Ki Strike and flurry of blows bonus.

Eldritch Blast(Sp): An eldritch fists' eldritch fist levels stack with his warlock levels to determine his eldritch blast spell level equivalent.

Eldritch Fist(Su): Starting at second level, an eldritch fist can, as a swift action, imbue his unarmed strikes(or attacks made with monk weapons) with eldritch energy, dealing eldritch blast damage in addition to his normal unarmed strike damage.

Starting at 3rd level, an eldritch fist can add a single eldritch essense invocation to the eldritch blast he binds to his unarmed strikes as a free action.

Eldritch Dexterity(Su): At third level, an eldritch fist can temporarily empower his body with surges of eldritch power. For every d6 of damage he gives up on an eldritch fist can gain one effective point of dexterity until his next turn, up to a maximum of his eldritch fist level.

Evasion(Ex): At third level, an eldritch fist can dodge magical and supernatural attacks with astounding dexterity. If an eldritch fist makes a successful Reflex save against an effect that allows a save for half damage, he instead takes no damage. If an eldritch fist already has this ability, they instead gain Improved Evasion. A helpless eldritch fist, such as one who is stunned or unconscious, does not gain the benefit of evasion(or improved evasion).

At fifth level, an eldritch fist takes half damage even on an unsuccessful Reflex save.

Flurry of Blasts(Su): At fourth level, an eldritch fist can use the same technique that lets him attack with enhanced speed on his eldritch blast. For every blast launched in this manner, each blast does 1d6 less damage than normal, and uses the flurry of blows attack bonus. A flurry of blasts is a full-round action. An eldritch fist can apply a single eldritch essence to half of the blasts made in a flurry of blasts. An eldritch fist can choose how many blasts he launches when using Flurry of Blasts.

At sixth level, an eldritch fist can empower his blasts even as he sends them flying and is now able to apply one eldritch essence to all of the blasts.

Bonus Feats: At fourth, sixth and eight level, an eldritch fist gains a bonus feat, chosen from the monk bonus feat list. For the purpose of determining which feats the eldritch fist can take, add the eldritch fist's eldritch fist level to his monk level.

At sixth level, an eldritch fist adds the following feats to the list of bonus feats that he can take: Eldritch Crush and Eldritch Stun.

Eldritch Ki(Su): At fifth level, an eldritch fist can use eldritch energy to empower his ki abilities. When using eldritch fist, an eldritch fist can choose to weaken his eldritch blast to enhance the strike. An eldritch ki attack counts as one special material(such as silver or cold iron) other than adamantine for each d6 of eldritch blast damage the eldritch fist gives up. He can also give up a number of d6s to gain an enhancement bonus on effected attacks equal to the number of d6s given up(maximum 5).(So if, for example, Jesso had a 9d6 eldritch blast he could instead only deal 3d6 damage with it to make his unarmed strikes that round be +5 and silvered.)

At seventh level, an eldritch fist can give up a number of d6s equal to a special property's enhancement value to gain that property for the affected attacks. These special properties must be drawn from a predetermined list of (4+the character's Wisdom modifier) abilities. Two abilities can be "swapped" for two others each time the eldritch fist gains a level.

Eldritch Speed(Ex): At 6th level, an eldritch fist can use eldritch energy to give himself bursts of speed during battle. For every d6 of damage he gives up on his next eldritch blast(up to his eldritch fist level), an eldritch fist can move 10' faster. Also, if an eldritch fist gives up 4d6 eldritch blast damage dice, he can move up to his normal speed and use flurry of blows. The speed boost lasts until the eldritch fist's next turn.

Eldritch Shield(Su): At 7th level, an eldritch fist can choose to protect himself with a shield of eldritch energy. For every d6 of eldritch blast damage he gives up, he gains a +1 bonus to AC until the beginning of his next turn.

Reactive Blast(Ex): At 8th level, an eldritch fist can react to an opening presented by an enemy with an instant blast of energy. Instead of making a normal attack of opportunity, an eldritch fist can instead make an eldritch fist attack.

Eldritch Mastery(Su): At 9th level, an eldritch fist gains complete mastery over one eldritch essence or blast shape invocation. He chooses one eldritch essence or blast shape invocation, and can apply this to all of his eldritch blasts in addition to another eldritch essence or blast shape invocation.

Multiclass Note: A monk who takes the eldritch fist prestige class can continue advancing as a monk. This also excuses their multiclassing into warlock.

New Feats:

Laws of Anarchy
You follow a personal code, but that doesn't stop you from changing it every now and then.
Prerequisites: Ordered Chaos
Benefits: You count as both Lawful and Chaotic for classes or feats.
Normal: You count as your alignment for classes and feats.

Powerful Blast
Your eldritch blasts are unusually powerful.
Prerequisites: Eldritch blast 2d6
Benefits: Your eldritch blast damage is increased by 1d6.
Normal: Your eldritch blast damage is increased only by class levels.
Special: This feat can be taken twice, the second time giving +2d6 eldritch blast damage.

Eldritch Crush
You can send eldritch power through your limbs, damaging those you are wrestling with.
Prerequisites: Eldritch blast 3d6, Improved Grapple
Benefits: As a swift action during a grapple, you may attempt to damage your opponent with eldritch energy. If you make a successful grapple check you, in addition to the normal results of the check, can choose to deal your eldritch blast damage to your opponent.
Normal: You cannot deal eldritch blast damage to enemies you are grappling with.

Eldritch Stun
You can stun enemies with short bursts of eldritch energy.
Prerequisites: Eldritch blast 3d6, Stunning Fist
Benefits: In addition to your normal stunning fist attack, you can deal eldritch blast damage. However, you can choose to increase the DC of your stunning fist by 1 per d6 of damage you reduce your eldritch blast damage by.
Normal: You cannot use your eldritch blast and stunning fist at the same time, nor can you increase the DC of your stunning fist by lowering your eldritch blast damage.
---------
Production Notes:

I originally made this as a 5-level class, but then I though that it'd be better as 7 levels, so that one wouldn't have to start multiclassing a lot to keep both monk and warlock abilities early. Recently extended to 10 levels to allow for more abilities, especially ones that synergized with more monk-y stuff.

I originally wanted to make Laws of Anarchy a requirement for the class, but then I realized that without bonus feats or retraining, that would make it impossible to enter this class until level 10.

I also originally had a "this class stacks with warlock" clause for eldritch blast damage, but when I was working on eldritch ki I decided that a warlock gets too few dice to use the abilities often and still do reasonable damage, so I decided to change it to a flat gain. With all levels of this class, a warlock who dips 1 level in Monk ends up with 13d6 EB dice-plenty enough for these abilities. You can now come out with a total of 17d6 EB dice, with a combination of two feats, this class and 10 warlock levels. This allows for +5 attacks that include a special ability or two to still deal a good 8 or 9d6 extra EB damage.

On Powerful Blast, I was a bit unsure about letting it stack. I ran the numbers, and found that without retraining someone could use it to get +6d6 eldritch blast damage. After some considerations, I decided that it could be taken twice, with the second giving +2d6 eldritch blast damage. +3d6 EB damage for two feats seemed alright, especially for someone who wants to use a lot of eldritch fist abilities.

So, here we are. A class that can fuse unarmed strikes with eldritch blasts and then weaken them for various benefits. I've been hit by a blast of inspiration during this, so I may do a class like this for the bard, maybe even others...

Not quite sure about Eldritch Mastery, it fits but there's an epic feat that allows you to put two invocations on a single blast, if I'm remembering correctly, so I wanted to limit the ability so it wouldn't essentially be an epic feat as a bonus feat.

arguskos
2011-01-29, 02:29 PM
First thought: I can enter this at level 5 (Monk 1/Warlock 3-->PrC; take Ordered Chaos at level 3). Was that intentional?

Second thought: Requiring Laws of Anarchy... I can still do it at level 7. :smalltongue:

Class itself: This is a fine class. I like the melding of EB and Unarmed Strike, it's functional, and strikes me as far better than the Enlightened Fist, which is a piece of crap. :smallyuk: I'm kinda too tired and busy to give a detailed run-down, but it looks alright. I didn't see anything that really struck me as OMGWTFBBQOP, which is usually good.

PersonMan
2011-01-29, 02:42 PM
Low-level entry: Yeah, that's intentional. I was thinking of making it higher, but I thought 'why bother?', so I didn't.

Class: Good. I was a bit iffy about eldritch fist, I'm glad it turned out well.

AmberVael
2011-01-29, 07:01 PM
Pretty nifty idea. I think my ultimate opinion of the class is good- most of my objections are less about things being broken or underpowered, and more just little nitty gritty details. So lets delve in.

This has probably already been done before, but here we go...

Also, just want to note- not as far as I know.

Eldritch Fist(Su): Starting at second level, an eldritch fist can, as a swift action, imbue his unarmed strikes(or attacks made with monk weapons) with eldritch energy, dealing eldritch blast damage in addition to his normal unarmed strike damage for a number of attacks equal to his eldritch fist level.
I don't have an objection to adding eldritch blast damage, but that last phrase (which I bolded) seems kind of unnecessary, really. If they have early entry, they're almost always just going to have less attacks than attacks they can add eldritch blast too. If they have later entry... then you're just kind of punishing them for it.
I suppose you could argue that it keeps people from dipping into the class, but I dunno, it just feels like an annoying and unnecessary restriction to me. I'd advise removing it.

Eldritch Dexterity(Su): At third level, an eldritch fist can temporarily empower his body with surges of eldritch power. For every d6 of damage he gives up on an eldritch fist can gain one effective point of dexterity until his next turn, up to a maximum of his eldritch fist level.
Pretty sure I know exactly what you're saying here, but you really need to specify what d6 of damage you're talking about. Basic unarmed damage? Sneak attack damage? Obviously it is meant to be Eldritch Blast damage, but you need to clarify it.

Flurry of Blasts(Su): At fourth level, an eldritch fist can use the same technique that lets him attack with enhanced speed on his eldritch blast. Each blast launched in this manner does 1d6 less damage than it normally does, and uses the flurry of blows attack bonus. A flurry of blasts is a full-round action.

At sixth level, an eldritch fist can empower his blasts even as he sends them flying. A number of blasts equal to 1/2 of his eldritch fist level can be enhanced by eldritch essence invocations. However, they must all be modified by the same invocation.
Given that enhancing eldritch blasts with an essence is something you can normally do, if you really think they should be unable to do it at 4th level, you should put a clause in to that first half the ability saying that they can't use eldritch essences with it.
Me though? I'd say at 4th level, they should only be able to use essences on half, and then later, they can use it on all.

Eldritch Ki(Su): At fifth level, an eldritch fist can use eldritch energy to empower his ki abilities. When using eldritch fist, an eldritch fist can choose to weaken his eldritch blast to enhance the strike. An eldritch ki attack counts as one special material(such as silver or cold iron) other than adamantine for each d6 the eldritch fist gives up. He can also give up a number of d6s to gain an enhancement bonus on effected attacks equal to the number of d6s given us(maximum 5).

At seventh level, an eldritch fist can give up a number of d6s equal to the enhancement value of the special property to gain that property for the effected attacks.(So if, for example, Jesso had a 9d6 eldritch blast he could instead only deal 3d6 damage with it to make his unarmed strikes that round be +5 and silvered.
You may want to use that example in the first paragraph, and make an example that is actually relevant to the second paragraph for the second paragraph. Jesso isn't using any special property here.
Also, that's a very, very versatile ability. While really cool, it might not be a bad idea to have a set list of special properties to draw from, instead of just any.

PersonMan
2011-01-29, 07:17 PM
I don't have an objection to adding eldritch blast damage, but that last phrase (which I bolded) seems kind of unnecessary, really. If they have early entry, they're almost always just going to have less attacks than attacks they can add eldritch blast too. If they have later entry... then you're just kind of punishing them for it.
I suppose you could argue that it keeps people from dipping into the class, but I dunno, it just feels like an annoying and unnecessary restriction to me. I'd advise removing it.

Alright, I see your point.

Pretty sure I know exactly what you're saying here, but you really need to specify what d6 of damage you're talking about. Basic unarmed damage? Sneak attack damage? Obviously it is meant to be Eldritch Blast damage, but you need to clarify it.

Done.

Given that enhancing eldritch blasts with an essence is something you can normally do, if you really think they should be unable to do it at 4th level, you should put a clause in to that first half the ability saying that they can't use eldritch essences with it.
Me though? I'd say at 4th level, they should only be able to use essences on half, and then later, they can use it on all.

Original reason for this was that you can(if I was reading the description of EB right) only use a single eldritch blast per round, and modifying it with an invocation was another action.

But I see your point, changed.

You may want to use that example in the first paragraph, and make an example that is actually relevant to the second paragraph for the second paragraph. Jesso isn't using any special property here.
Also, that's a very, very versatile ability. While really cool, it might not be a bad idea to have a set list of special properties to draw from, instead of just any.

Right, oops.

Alright, however, rather than a specific list I think I'll limit them to a set number to be chosen by the player.

AmberVael
2011-01-29, 07:24 PM
Original reason for this was that you can(if I was reading the description of EB right) only use a single eldritch blast per round, and modifying it with an invocation was another action.

You can only use one per round, but modifying it with an eldritch essence is just a part of using Eldritch Blast, not an extra action.

PersonMan
2011-01-29, 07:29 PM
Which is why I thought the clause made sense-at first, you give up adding effects to your blast to spam them for a turn, but eventually you become skilled enough that you can still modify your blasts even launching them very quickly.

Also, I've been considering adding another level or two, but I'm not sure what other kinds of abilities would be good-any ideas?

AmberVael
2011-01-29, 07:37 PM
I've got nothing specific, but I do note that Invocations (beyond essences) haven't gotten any love. What about blast shapes? Maybe you could give the class some custom and special invocations?

Also, what about Evasion? If they come in at level 4, as a level 1 monk, they'll have never have gotten it. For those who DO have evasion, you could make it upgrade what they have to Improved Evasion.

Perhaps tie something in with the monk bonus feats? Like, if they chose Improved Grapple they get some eldritch clinch or something, and if they have stunning fist, they can... I dunno, ranged stun? More powerful stun? Debilitating eldritch stunning?

PersonMan
2011-01-29, 07:43 PM
I've got nothing specific, but I do note that Invocations (beyond essences) haven't gotten any love. What about blast shapes? Maybe you could give the class some custom and special invocations?

Also, what about Evasion? If they come in at level 4, as a level 1 monk, they'll have never have gotten it. For those who DO have evasion, you could make it upgrade what they have to Improved Evasion.

Perhaps tie something in with the monk bonus feats? Like, if they chose Improved Grapple they get some eldritch clinch or something, and if they have stunning fist, they can... I dunno, ranged stun? More powerful stun? Debilitating eldritch stunning?

Invocations are mostly left alone because, seeing as I've only made a handful of warlocks and was never abnormally interested in the system, don't have all that much experience with them.

I was considering including that sort of thing in Monk Abilities-but I realized that saying "you get monk class features as if you advanced in it" might make the class a bit too good in that regard.

Hmmm...maybe a way to fuse eldritch blasts with grappling or stunning...Good ideas. I think I'll make them feats and give them as bonus feats.

Maybe let some blast shapes be applied to flurry, etc. at later levels.

Temotei
2011-01-30, 02:00 AM
Class Skills:
Balance(Dex), Concentration(Con), Knowledge(arcana), Knowledge(the planes), Knowledge(religion), Listen(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex) and Use Magic Device(Cha)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Nitpick: Knowledge (religion) should be after Knowledge (the planes), as the "t" is counted as Knowledge (the planes)'s alphabetical listing letter.

Monk Abilities: An eldritch fist's eldritch fist levels stack with his monk levels to determine unarmed strike damage, AC bonus, unarmed speed bonus, Ki Strike and flurry of blows bonus.

Eldritch Blast(Sp): An eldritch fists' eldritch fist levels stack with his warlock levels to determine his eldritch blast spell level equivalent.

Fair enough.

Eldritch Fist(Su): Starting at second level, an eldritch fist can, as a swift action, imbue his unarmed strikes(or attacks made with monk weapons) with eldritch energy, dealing eldritch blast damage in addition to his normal unarmed strike damage.

Starting at 3rd level, an eldritch fist can add a single eldritch essense invocation to the eldritch blast he binds to his unarmed strikes as a free action.

Ooh, shiny. With the only limit being a swift action used up, a lot of extra damage every round will ensue. It shouldn't be too much so that it's overpowered though, I think.

Rewording: "...d6 of eldritch blast damage he gives up on an eldritch fist attack, he gains one point of Dexterity..."

Usually, I think I'd rather have the damage, but every once in a while, the Dexterity might come in handy enough to use this.

Evasion(Ex): At third level, an eldritch fist can dodge magical and supernatural attacks with astounding dexterity. If an eldritch fist makes a successful Reflex save against an effect that allows a save for half damage, he instead takes no damage. If an eldritch fist already has this ability, they instead gain Improved Evasion. A helpless eldritch fist, such as one who is stunned or unconscious, does not gain the benefit of evasion(or improved evasion).

At fifth level, an eldritch fist takes half damage even on an unsuccessful Reflex save.

Evasion usually doesn't upgrade to improved evasion, even upon gaining it twice. It shouldn't be a big problem, however--especially considering improved evasion comes around two levels after.

Flurry of Blasts(Su): At fourth level, an eldritch fist can use the same technique that lets him attack with enhanced speed on his eldritch blast. Each blast launched in this manner does 1d6 less damage than it normally does, and uses the flurry of blows attack bonus. A flurry of blasts is a full-round action. An eldritch fist can apply a single eldritch essence to half of the blasts made in a flurry of blasts.

At sixth level, an eldritch fist can empower his blasts even as he sends them flying and is now able to apply one eldritch essence to all of the blasts.

This is slightly redundant, as allowing the eldritch fist to use a swift action to empower their fists or monk weapons with eldritch blasts basically allows a flurry of blasts, anyway. The main difference is the ability to use eldritch essence invocations; at first, this is weaker. At sixth level, being able to use more than one essence invocation makes this stronger. The other difference is that this allows a swift action to be spent on something else in the round.

Bonus Feats: At fourth, sixth and eight level, an eldritch fist gains a bonus feat, chosen from the monk list. For the purpose of determining which feats the eldritch fist can take, add the eldritch fist's eldritch fist level to his monk level.

At sixth level, an eldritch fist adds the following feats to the list of bonus feats that he can take: Eldritch Crush and Eldritch Stun.

Rewording: "...chosen from the monk bonus feat list." The monk list could be interpreted as all feats a monk can take, which would be different from what you intend for this to take.

Eldritch Ki(Su): At fifth level, an eldritch fist can use eldritch energy to empower his ki abilities. When using eldritch fist, an eldritch fist can choose to weaken his eldritch blast to enhance the strike. An eldritch ki attack counts as one special material(such as silver or cold iron) other than adamantine for each d6 of eldritch blast damage the eldritch fist gives up. He can also give up a number of d6s to gain an enhancement bonus on effected attacks equal to the number of d6s given us(maximum 5).(So if, for example, Jesso had a 9d6 eldritch blast he could instead only deal 3d6 damage with it to make his unarmed strikes that round be +5 and silvered.)

At seventh level, an eldritch fist can give up a number of d6s equal to the enhancement value of the special property to gain that property for the effected attacks. These special properties must be drawn from a pre-chosen list of (4+the character's Wisdom modifier) abilities. Two abilites can be "swapped" for two others each time the eldritch fist gains a level.

Typos: "Given us" should be "given up." "...to the enhancement value of the special property..." should be "...to a special property's enhancement bonus value..." Effected might be affected. That's pretty much up to what you meant to say. Predetermined is the word you were searching for, I think, when you typed "pre-chosen." Lastly, you missed an "i" in "abilities" in the last sentence.

Four plus the character's Wisdom modifier abilities will rarely limit the character's true options, as I doubt the character will choose from much more than that amount. However, a limit is nice to have, I suppose.

Anyway, it's fairly simple and nice. I like it.

Eldritch Speed(Ex): At 6th level, an eldritch fist can use eldritch energy to give himself bursts of speed during battle. For every d6 of damage he gives up on his next eldritch blast(up to his eldritch fist level), an eldritch fist can move 10' faster. Also, if an eldritch fist gives up 4d6 eldritch blast damage dice, he can move up to his normal speed and use flurry of blows.

How long does the speed boost last? Can the flurry of blows be a flurry of blasts or an eldritch fist-flurry of blasts? If so, does the reduced damage on the next eldritch blast apply to one or all of the eldritch blasts for that round?

This is a far more elegant way of doing things than just giving pounce. I like it. However, I dislike the "next eldritch blast" mechanic. I'm not sure what could replace it, so I'll leave it at that.

Eldritch Shield(Su): At 7th level, an eldritch fist can choose to protect himself with a shield of eldritch energy. For every d6 of eldritch blast damage he gives up, he gains a +1 untyped bonus to AC until the beginning of his next turn.

I think I said this in another critique for you: Saying "untyped bonus" is unnecessary. Simply saying "bonus" is enough. I think your response related to clarity.

Since this is basically the same thing as above with its "next eldritch blast" mechanic, I'll just refer you to my previous comment.

Reactive Blast(Ex): At 8th level, an eldritch fist can react to an opening presented by an enemy with an instant blast of energy. Instead of making a normal attack of opportunity, an eldritch fist can instead make an eldritch fist attack.

Nice.

Eldritch Mastery(Su): At 9th level, an eldritch fist gains complete mastery over one eldritch essence or blast shape invocation. He chooses one eldritch essence or blast shape invocation, and can apply this to all of his eldritch blasts in addition to another eldritch essence or blast shape invocation.

I like it. It's a nice, simple capstone.

Laws of Anarchy
You follow a personal code, but that doesn't stop you from changing it every now and then.
Prerequisites: Ordered Chaos
Benefits: You count as both Lawful and Chaotic for classes or feats.
Normal: You count as your alignment for classes and feats.

Maybe this could allow the character to count as lawful and chaotic for the purposes of some magical effects, too. The axiomatic weapon property, for example, could be stopped by your lawful alignment component, while certain beneficial spells that only work on lawful or chaotic beings could work on you. That's just an idea.

Powerful Blast
Your eldritch blasts are unusually powerful.
Prerequisites: Eldritch blast 2d6
Benefits: Your eldritch blast damage is increased by 1d6.
Normal: Your eldritch blast damage is increased only by class levels.
Special: This feat can be taken twice, the second time giving +2d6 eldritch blast damage.

This seems okay.

Eldritch Crush
You can send eldritch power through your limbs, damaging those you are wrestling with.
Prerequisites: Eldritch blast 3d6, Improved Grapple
Benefits: As a swift action during a grapple, you may attempt to damage your opponent with eldritch energy. If you make a successful grapple check you, in addition to the normal results of the check, can choose to deal your eldritch blast damage to your opponent.
Normal: You cannot deal eldritch blast damage to enemies you are grappling with.

I see a character concept.

Eldritch Stun
You can stun enemies with short bursts of eldritch energy.
Prerequisites: Eldritch blast 3d6, Stunning Fist
Benefits: In addition to your normal stunning fist attack, you can deal eldritch blast damage. However, you can choose to increase the DC of your stunning fist by 1 per d6 of damage less than maximum you deal with the eldritch blast.
Normal: You cannot use your eldritch blast and stunning fist at the same time, nor can you increase the DC of your stunning fist by lowering your eldritch blast damage.

Right now, the bonus to the DC is automatic, since you worded it to say the DC is increased by 1 "per d6 of damage less than maximum..." Say you reduce the damage in the "Benefits" section.

I probably missed something. I'm kind of tired. :smalleek::smallsigh:

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-30, 02:19 AM
Only problem i can see is gestalting with rogue for uberdamage but that's not really a big problem

PersonMan
2011-01-30, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=Temotei;10265548]This is slightly redundant, as allowing the eldritch fist to use a swift action to empower their fists or monk weapons with eldritch blasts basically allows a flurry of blasts, anyway. The main difference is the ability to use eldritch essence invocations; at first, this is weaker. At sixth level, being able to use more than one essence invocation makes this stronger. The other difference is that this allows a swift action to be spent on something else in the round.

I probably should have clarified-that's a flurry of ranged blasts, rather than a melee flurry.

Rewording: "...chosen from the monk bonus feat list." The monk list could be interpreted as all feats a monk can take, which would be different from what you intend for this to take.

Oops. Right, I'll change that.

Typos: "Given us" should be "given up." "...to the enhancement value of the special property..." should be "...to a special property's enhancement bonus value..." Effected might be affected. That's pretty much up to what you meant to say. Predetermined is the word you were searching for, I think, when you typed "pre-chosen." Lastly, you missed an "i" in "abilities" in the last sentence.

This was bound to happen somewhere. Thanks.

Four plus the character's Wisdom modifier abilities will rarely limit the character's true options, as I doubt the character will choose from much more than that amount. However, a limit is nice to have, I suppose.

Anyway, it's fairly simple and nice. I like it.

Good.

How long does the speed boost last? Can the flurry of blows be a flurry of blasts or an eldritch fist-flurry of blasts? If so, does the reduced damage on the next eldritch blast apply to one or all of the eldritch blasts for that round?

This is a far more elegant way of doing things than just giving pounce. I like it. However, I dislike the "next eldritch blast" mechanic. I'm not sure what could replace it, so I'll leave it at that.

Until the eldritch fist's next turn. It can be either(although it was meant for FOB-to allow an eldritch fist to close in and flurry).

You'll be seeing a lot more of it, unfortunately. I really like the concept and unless I or someone else comes up with something better...

Maybe just a flat dice loss for all EBs that round?

I think I said this in another critique for you: Saying "untyped bonus" is unnecessary. Simply saying "bonus" is enough. I think your response related to clarity.

Since this is basically the same thing as above with its "next eldritch blast" mechanic, I'll just refer you to my previous comment.

Alright.

Nice.

Thanks.

I like it. It's a nice, simple capstone.

^.^

Maybe this could allow the character to count as lawful and chaotic for the purposes of some magical effects, too. The axiomatic weapon property, for example, could be stopped by your lawful alignment component, while certain beneficial spells that only work on lawful or chaotic beings could work on you. That's just an idea.

That's included in Ordered Chaos.

This seems okay.

Good.

I see a character concept.

Good!

Right now, the bonus to the DC is automatic, since you worded it to say the DC is increased by 1 "per d6 of damage less than maximum..." Say you reduce the damage in the "Benefits" section.

I probably missed something. I'm kind of tired. :smalleek::smallsigh:

Oops, yeah. I'll fix that.

Temotei
2011-01-30, 12:40 PM
That's included in Ordered Chaos.

Alright. I didn't check the feat beforehand and I had forgotten what it did.

PersonMan
2011-01-30, 12:57 PM
Alright, I've applied to a few PbP games, one high level and one low level, hoping to playtest the class. One with all of the abilities, and another in which(hopefully) I'll play through the whole class from the beginning.

I'll probably put up some notes if the games work out.

fil kearney
2011-02-02, 02:56 PM
9 levels is unorthodox, but it is what it is.

PrC's, as I understand them, are designed to reward extra benefits and enhanced effects of a particular aspect of a class for spending feats and skills to focus in that singular direction.

With this philosophy in mind; I really like this class, except that I do not think it should progress invocations at all. It is godawful easy to qualify for this class, and rewards revisiting both warlock and monk.

If you get in early, you will have only 1 or 2 invocations ... assumedly combat based essesnces or shapes to your blast. As you level, and eventually capstone the class, you will either spend more time in base class warlock or monk (or evenly split, sure)
--If you spend more time in warlock, you get more invocations, and thus more invocations to modify your eldritch fists and blasts.
--If you spend more time in monk, you get more d6's to spend to enhance your utility powers... you become "uber monk" with the eldritch d6's.

If you grant all these abilities AND invocation progression, you are giving both of these options to the character for free.
As an alternative to just granting invocation progression, I would recommend allowing eldritch fist levels to stack with warlock levels to determine the power of invocation that can be learned... a monk1/warlock3/eldritch fist9 would be the equivalent to a 12th level warlock for learning future invocations... so m1/w3/ef9/w+1 ... which is 4th level warlock... would learn a new invocation, but it could be a greater invocation, not a least. then 2 warlock levels later.. m1/w3/ef9/w+3... which is effectively level 15 still only earns greater invocations, but is actually warlock level 6.. which is when an earlier invocation can be swapped... so the character now can have
1 least
3 greater
2 more warlock levels, and we start getting Dark invocations, so it ends with 1 least, 3 greater, 2 dark at level 20: chucking base 10d6 touch attack blasts with a bab of +14/+14/+9; each with a shape and essence tacked on.. which could easily be, say, a cone or aoe of utterdark: 30d6 and 6 negative levels per round to those in the area.

or instead, monk1/warlock3/efist9/warlock+1/monk+6
this gets
better saves, better speed, ac, and flurry of +14/+14/+14/+9/+4
but only
2 least
1 greater
which could be alternatively, 50d6 damage at 250 feet... using vitrolic essence to ignore SR on a touch ranged attack, dealing an extra 10d6 acid damage for 2 extra rounds (effective warlock level of 13 = 2 rounds)
Now, I know Flurry of Blasts will lesson these numbers... what I'm not clear on, is

At fourth level, an eldritch fist can use the same technique that lets him attack with enhanced speed on his eldritch blast. Each blast launched in this manner does 1d6 less damage than it normally does, and uses the flurry of blows attack bonus. A flurry of blasts is a full-round action. An eldritch fist can apply a single eldritch essence to half of the blasts made in a flurry of blasts.

how would this interact in the examples above? would the monk focus be 9d6 8d6 7d6 6d6 5d6 4d6 or 9d6 9d6 9d6 9d6 9d6 9d6 or is it
5d6 5d6 5d6 5d6 5d6

if it is the 5d6 model, where all blasts are reduced by 5 each; I'd say keep invocation progression as written, because this loses nova power.

PersonMan
2011-02-02, 03:34 PM
how would this interact in the examples above? would the monk focus be 9d6 8d6 7d6 6d6 5d6 4d6 or 9d6 9d6 9d6 9d6 9d6 9d6 or is it
5d6 5d6 5d6 5d6 5d6

if it is the 5d6 model, where all blasts are reduced by 5 each; I'd say keep invocation progression as written, because this loses nova power.

I was originally thinking that it would be the 9d6s model, but I wasn't thinking much about high-level play. I like the reduction-by-number-of-blasts thing, I'll use that.