PDA

View Full Version : 4e Psion class

Lemonus
2011-01-29, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking about making a 4e D&D Psionics-based class, does anyone have any ideas on what it should be based on?
(Telepathy, Mind control, Telekinesis, etc.)

DogbertLinc
2011-01-29, 03:37 PM
Do you mean besides the ones described in the PHB3, or do you not like those?

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-29, 03:37 PM
There is already a Psion in Player's Handbook 3.

Lemonus
2011-01-29, 03:40 PM
Something other than PHB3 (Which I don't have:redface:)

Dust
2011-01-29, 03:59 PM
The 'Power Point' system that was implemented in the PHB3 is the standard method for all psionic classes now. If you're going to try your hand at homebrewing, you need to understand how psions work currently, as well as what's been done and what hasn't. That means reading the book. Sorry, champ, but it's kind of like homebrewing monsters for 3.5 that still use THACO.

Lemonus
2011-01-29, 04:04 PM
Oh. Ok!
Rather that start a new thread, I guess I'll ask, Does anyone have any ideas for another class I could build?

Dust
2011-01-29, 04:10 PM
A melee controller is always in high demand when it comes to homebrewin'. Alternatively, Blackguard.

Lemonus
2011-01-29, 04:11 PM
What's a Blackguard? (Sounds cool)

Dust
2011-01-29, 04:17 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm concerned you might not (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prestige_classes#Dungeon_Master.27s_Guide) be (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/blackguard.htm) qualified (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dmg35_gallery/DMG35_PG182_WEB.jpg) to do any 4e homebrewing, at least not for classes.

Lemonus
2011-01-29, 04:22 PM
How come? THIS IS FILLER!!! DO NOT LOOK AT IT!!!

DukeofDellot
2011-01-29, 04:31 PM
He's saying you've not done much in the way of study.

You need a good strong understanding of the system to do effective homebrew, and unless you're ready and willing to do a lot of reading, you might want to stick with reflavoring instead.

Not that there's anything wrong with reflavoring. Just use the stats and abilities of another class and change the fluff.

Suedars
2011-01-29, 08:44 PM
He's saying you've not done much in the way of study.

You need a good strong understanding of the system to do effective homebrew, and unless you're ready and willing to do a lot of reading, you might want to stick with reflavoring instead.

Not that there's anything wrong with reflavoring. Just use the stats and abilities of another class and change the fluff.

You need to be extensively familiar with the system, but knowledge of 3.5 is completely irrelevant when homebrewing in 4e.

Pyromancer999
2011-01-29, 09:37 PM
You need to be extensively familiar with the system, but knowledge of 3.5 is completely irrelevant when homebrewing in 4e.

I'm not sure he even has any knowledge of 3.5......

Lemonus
2011-01-29, 09:40 PM

I don't, except for what I learned from Oots, but we're talking about 4e here.

Sine
2011-01-29, 09:55 PM
I'm thinking about making a 4e D&D Psionics-based class, does anyone have any ideas on what it should be based on?
(Telepathy, Mind control, Telekinesis, etc.)
Whatever character concept made you want to homebrew a psion class?

Alternatively, if you want to play a psion and simply don't have the funds to buy PHB3, there are plenty of ways to get it for free.

Suedars
2011-01-29, 11:01 PM

And that doesn't matter. Knowledge of 3.5 is absolutely irrelevant to 4e homebrew. The two games are completely different.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-30, 04:58 AM
And that doesn't matter. Knowledge of 3.5 is absolutely irrelevant to 4e homebrew. The two games are completely different.

But knowledge of prior editions of D&D would help one to know what a Blackguard was.

I agree that knowledge of 3.5 isn't important when making a new psionic class for 4th Edition. However, knowledge of the existing system used by 4E psionic classes is.

BarroomBard
2011-01-30, 07:57 PM

Since everyone seems to be ignoring: Blackguards are evil or fallen paladins.

Lemonus
2011-01-30, 07:59 PM
Since everyone seems to be ignoring: Blackguards are evil or fallen paladins.

Thought so. So then Miko is a Blackguard? (Because she's fallen)

Excession
2011-01-30, 08:12 PM
Thought so. So then Miko is a Blackguard? (Because she's fallen)

A blackguard in 3.5 terms was basically an evil anti-paladin. They got "detect good", "smite good", ability to command undead etc. The class was popular for fallen paladins because by going blackguard they get to keep some of their toys when they switch and continue gleefully continuing to do whatever it was that made them fall in the first place. Plus there's the "peaceful contact with an evil outsider" joke that should go here.

Now that paladins can just be evil some of the necessity of the class doesn't exist in 4e. Bane just has his paladins now, though they are free to call themselves Blackguards. Perhaps you could make a new build option for paladins that focuses on being mean to people :smallwink:

Something I'd like to see is another ranged weapon using Striker. Not martial though. Maybe just as an archer build for the Sorcerer, using Cha primary Dex secondary and making arcane attacks via a longbow.

Lemonus
2011-01-30, 08:22 PM
Something I'd like to see is another ranged weapon using Striker. Not martial though. Maybe just as an archer build for the Sorcerer, using Cha primary Dex secondary and making arcane attacks via a longbow.

That would be cool. I'd like to work on that with you.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-31, 01:28 AM
So then Miko is a Blackguard? (Because she's fallen)

No, a Blackguard isn't just a fallen Paladin. To become one you must fully embrace Evil. Sometimes a fallen Paladin will turn away from Good and become a Blackguard, but many more try to regain their righteousness.

Miko was never Evil, she just failed at being Good. And she was a huge jerkass.

Lemonus
2011-01-31, 07:13 AM
Miko was never Evil, she just failed at being Good. And she was a huge jerkass.

So she was a neutral "Beigeguard"

Mando Knight
2011-01-31, 04:37 PM
That's more of a Paragon Path kind of thing. Like...

Arcane Archer
Prerequisites: Ranger, any Arcane class, proficiency with a Bow.

Masters of elven warbands, the Arcane Archer is a warrior skilled in using magic to supplement her combat prowess. Beyond the woods, arcane archers gain renown throughout entire kingdoms for their supernatural accuracy with a bow and their ability to imbue their arrows with magic. In a group, they can strike fear into an entire enemy army. (NWN 2 player's manual)

Imbue Arrow (11th level): Select one kind of implement that you can use for your arcane powers. You may use members of the bow weapon group as if it were that implement when using your arcane powers. You do not add your weapon's proficiency bonus when making attacks in this way.
Arcane Accuracy (11th level): You may use the highest of your Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma modifiers for attack and damage rolls for the attack powers granted by this Paragon Path.
Arcanist's Quarry (11th level): When you use an action point to make an attack against the target of your Hunter's Quarry and have already dealt Hunter's Quarry damage to that target this round, you may add your Hunter's Quarry damage to the damage roll of the attack granted by the action point.
Arcane Shot (16th level): When using a bow as your arcane implement, increase the range of your Ranged and Area powers to those of your bow. When firing at the bow's long range using this feature, you take the -2 penalty as normal.

Seeker Arrow..............Arcane Archer Attack 11
You imbue your arrow with the power to fly around walls, corners, and cover.
Encounter * Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action.......Ranged weapon
Target: One creature
Special: You do not need line of sight or line of effect to your target, but the target must be within the range of your weapon. Ignore any cover and concealment that the target may have against you when rolling the attack.
Requirement: You must be wielding a bow to use this attack.
Attack: Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma vs AC
Hit: 2[W]+ your Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma modifier damage.

Enhance Arrow...........Arcane Archer Utility 12
You enhance your next shot with arcane power to slay your foe
Encounter * Arcane
Minor Action......Personal
Requirement: You must be wielding a bow.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, your next ranged attack gains a power bonus to the attack and damage rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Arrow of Death............Arcane Archer Attack 20
You single out a target, and fire a single deadly shot at his heart.
Daily * Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action........Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a bow.
Attack: Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma vs Fortitude
Hit: 4[W] + Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma modifier damage, and the target takes 10 ongoing damage (save ends). If the target was designated as your quarry, it instead takes 15 ongoing damage (save ends).
Miss: half damage, and the target only takes 5 ongoing damage (save ends), or 10 ongoing damage (save ends) if it was designated as your quarry.
It's geared towards a Ranger/Arcane gish, but with a little fiddling it could be made to work with a pure Arcane character.

Lemonus
2011-01-31, 07:19 PM
That's awesome. Did you make that?

Mando Knight
2011-02-02, 03:17 PM
Yeah. It was a while back... almost two years ago.