PDA

View Full Version : Concerns Regarding Double Posting

Volos
2011-01-29, 04:29 PM
I am a DM that is currently running a game on these forums. I have both an IC thread and an OOC thread for my game. Usually with the IC thread I only need post once before responces will come in from my players. My issue comes with my OOC thread for my game. Sometimes I post something to my players and it is the last post on the thread. But I need to post something else and I want to avoid infringing on the double posting rule. So do I...?

1) Edit the information in the last post, hoping that my players will check the thread even though there will be no notification that anything new has been posted?

2) Double Post after a certian peroid of time, therein avoiding breaking the rule of Double Posting? Getting my player's attention when the notification goes out that a new post as been made.

3) Copy the original 'last post', delete the post, and then repost the old information with an EDIT of what I wanted to add? Getting my player's attention when the notification goes out that a new post as been made.

4) Something else?

Zherog
2011-01-29, 04:42 PM
I'm old and my memory is weak, but I recall the mods saying that it's generally OK in the pbp area for double-posts to happen when the double post is because of new information (rather than just a bump).

However, given that I'm so old and my memory is so weak, it's probably in your best interests to wait for somebody to verify my information.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-29, 05:15 PM
I've definitely been told not to stealth bump (option 3) in the past, so I wouldn't recommend that.

Beyond that I'd say Zherog has captured the spirit of the law accurately, now to wait to see if the mods demand the law be upheld as written instead.

Volos
2011-01-29, 05:45 PM
It really isn't an attempt to stealth bump, just an attempt to get information to my players as fast as possible without sending them PMs, because it is public information. This is strictly regarding the OOC threads of PbP games, no other thread types.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-29, 06:22 PM
This quote:

Sheriff of Moddingham: The Forum Rules are relatively clear on this. Please do not double post or revive threads older than six weeks. If you are the original creator of a work in the Homebrew forum, you can ignore these prohibitions.

We're unlikely to bother you about it in your own PbP game, but technically, the rule still applies.

For all other circumstances, the rule applies. If you want an exception for a specific instance, please PM a moderator for the forum the thread is in to request one.

in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9758865#post9758865) may be of interest to you.