PDA

View Full Version : ways to gain exotic weapon proficiency

Aemoh87
2011-01-29, 05:00 PM
is there any ways to get it without using up a feat slot?

GoatToucher
2011-01-29, 05:06 PM
You can get the racials by being the appropriate race, but then, you lose the bonus human feat, so...

Talbot
2011-01-29, 05:10 PM
One level of Master of Masks will grab you all of them. Only a good idea for specific builds, though, as the BAB/Saves are pretty crap.

Aemoh87
2011-01-29, 05:31 PM
Wow master of masks works out great since it gives me a bonus to divine caster level too!

Greenish
2011-01-29, 05:32 PM
Dipping something that grants either proficiency or bonus feats are the simplest ways. A dip to cleric with war domain can get you EWP and WF for a specific weapon, with the right deity. Also gives another domain that can be swapped out, and turning to fuel all sorts of fun feats.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-29, 05:34 PM
There is also the Kensai Fighter variant introduced in Dragon Magazine #310, though Master of Masks is personally my favourite for it too. Kensai is only better if you're going for a hack-and-slash character, generally.
It gives your proficiency with one Exotic weapon and gives you a +1 to attack and damage with that weapon.

Aemoh87
2011-01-29, 05:38 PM
well I am going melee cleric.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 05:48 PM
well I am going melee cleric.War domain is a nifty choice. The spells aren't great, but it opens up the Holy Warrior feat, as well as easy entrance to Ordained Champion, which is pretty nice PrC for a melee cleric (and, by the by, has a class feature called Holy Warrior, if my memory serves).

Sandstorm, at the very least, had a deity with Spiked Chain as favoured weapon.

gallagher
2011-01-29, 06:00 PM
also if you are looking at a specific weapon, you get proficiency with the whip from bard, and hand crossbow from a dip in rogue. just to keep tabs on things.

and what weapon are you looking at? in my experience, the only weapon worth the feat is the spike chain... and possibly the jovar. spike chain you can do the same thing with a reach weapon and armor spikes or a boot knife. jovar is just a better greatsword than the greatsword

you could also go drunken master to be able to use anything as a weapon

Darrin
2011-01-29, 09:52 PM
You can add the Skillful property (+2 enhancement, Complete Arcane p. 144), which grants proficiency and medium (i.e. cleric) BAB as your minimum BAB with that weapon.

If you dip into Cleric and worship a deity with a favored exotic weapon and the War domain, you can pick it up that way. If you worship a deity without the War domain or even if you aren't a cleric, you can pick up WF + EWP with that deity's favored weapon by taking the Planar Touchstone feat and linking it to the Catalogues of Enlightenment. This isn't a "free" feat, but it is a two-for-one deal: if you needed Weapon Focus to qualify for another feat/PrC, you can also get EWP. I posted a list of exotic weapons and associated deities here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9236967&postcount=3).

Also, wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) and a wand of master's touch (750 GP) will work in a pinch.