PDA

View Full Version : Armors and Speed

Aemoh87
2011-01-29, 05:59 PM
Is there an easy table to look at how armor effects speed. Currently my character has an unencumbered speed of 60 ft. I wanna know how much certain armors slow him down.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-29, 06:01 PM
Bottom of the page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#encumbrancebyArmor). Sadly it is a pretty hefty 1/3 penalty.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 06:06 PM
Light armours don't slow you down, while medium and heavy slow you by 10'.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-29, 06:07 PM
medium and heavy slow you by 10'.

If only this were the case! :smallsigh:

Greenish
2011-01-29, 06:12 PM
If only this were the case! :smallsigh:What says it isn't? The link you provided says just this:
Encumbrance by Armor
A character’s armor defines his or her maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, armor check penalty, speed, and running speed. Unless your character is weak or carrying a lot of gear, that’s all you need to know. The extra gear your character carries won’t slow him or her down any more than the armor already does.The table at the bottom of the page is for carrying loads, as specified by the next entry:
Weight
If you want to determine whether your character’s gear is heavy enough to slow him or her down more than the armor already does, total the weight of all the character’s items, including armor, weapons, and gear. Compare this total to the character’s Strength on Table: Carrying Capacity. Depending on how the weight compares to the character’s carrying capacity, he or she may be carrying a light, medium, or heavy load. Like armor, a character’s load affects his or her maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, carries a check penalty (which works like an armor check penalty), reduces the character’s speed, and affects how fast the character can run, as shown on Table: Carrying Loads.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-29, 06:16 PM
Heavy armour is even worse - your run speed is also slowed down to almost walking speed.
Also, there are ways to move in medium/heavy armour without speed penalty. First ofcourse is being a Dwarf. IIRC, the Knight and Warmage classes also let you wear armour and still move at full speed.

EnnPeeCee
2011-01-29, 06:17 PM
Monster entries seem to think its more than 10', specifically the titan page: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm

Greenish
2011-01-29, 06:19 PM
Monster entries seem to think its more than 10', specifically the titan page: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htmRight, I came upon that when looking for examples too, but I can't recall any statblocks for, say, armoured horses following suit.

Jeraa
2011-01-29, 06:23 PM
Look at the Barding section under Equipment. A horse with a 60 foot movement speed is reduced to a speed of 40 feet while in medium or heave armor. Heavy armor also causes it to run at only x3 speed instead of x4.

Edit: And comparing the numbers I can find, the chart at the bottom of the Encumbrance page (the link Mammon provided) can be used to determine what a creatures speed is in armor. It looks to match up correctly. Just use the armors ACP and Max Dex instead of the charts.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 06:25 PM
Look at the Barding section under Equipment. A horse with a 60 foot movement speed is reduced to a speed of 40 feet while in medium or heave armor. Heavy armor also causes it to run at only x3 speed instead of x4.Right-o, I thought I checked there, but somehow managed to miss the plain-as-day table. :smalleek:

So, I'm wrong, and MammonAzreal & Co are indeed correct.

[Edit]: It also means that outrunning a charging knight with armoured heavy warhorse is rather trivial for a fleet of foot character.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-29, 06:27 PM
In addition to the two replies above, medium and heavy armor don't slow down characters that have a base speed of 20' by 10', but by 5'. Right there is proof of a scaling penalty. The rules you bolded support my claim, as encubrence is like armor, meaning it inflicts the same penalties.

And armored horses should be wearing barding, which has different rules.

EDIT - Swordsage'd! That's what I get for updating on a phone!

Jeraa
2011-01-29, 06:42 PM
And after doing a little math, you can just take your speed, and multiply it by 0.7 That will give tell you what your armored speed is. Round to the nearest multiple of 5. (worked for all the numbers on the Encumbrance table, except for 90, which would give an armored speed of 65 this way. The table says 60.)

Bakkan
2011-01-29, 06:52 PM
Another way of doing it that works for all the entries in the table is to take 1/3 of your speed, round down to the nearest 5', and subtract that from your speed. Equivalently, your speed in medium or heavy armor is 2/3 of your unencumbered speed, rounded up to the nearest 5' If you use this rule, this means that creatures with speeds of 5' or 10' take no speed penalty for wearing heavy armor.

ericgrau
2011-01-29, 08:08 PM
What says it isn't?

First sign of bad logic, questioning the negative instead of hunting down a real answer. All this means is "I don't know" which doesn't mean anything at all.

Encumbrance by Armor
A character’s armor defines his or her maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, armor check penalty, speed, and running speed. Unless your character is weak or carrying a lot of gear, that’s all you need to know. The extra gear your character carries won’t slow him or her down any more than the armor already does.

This expressly states that the penalty from gear is equal to or less than the penalty from armor. So, strictly speaking, in armor you must use the speed given in the table on the bottom or lower. Really it's implied that the two are the same and you should just use the encumbrance by weight table. But it's not possible by RAW for your speed in armor to be higher than what that table says.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 08:14 PM
First sign of bad logic, questioning the negative instead of hunting down a real answer. All this means is "I don't know" which doesn't mean anything at all.You take it out of context. Should you read the rest of the post you quote, you could find that the rhetoric question is followed by my reasons to believe that the person I replied to was wrong.

But it's not possible by RAW for your speed in armor to be higher than what that table says.I never claimed such.

ericgrau
2011-01-29, 08:16 PM
See ninja edit for "real answer" to OP's question. EDIT: ninja edit ninja'd/edit'd'd... or something.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 08:19 PM
See ninja edit for "real answer" to OP's question.I already admitted that I was wrong, so I don't know what ends your zeal to prove it serves.

ericgrau
2011-01-29, 08:26 PM
Proof of my laziness in reading all the posts? Eh, important thing is getting the OP an answer.