PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Ranger Advancement

CapnVan
2011-01-29, 06:33 PM
OK, so, you've taken yourself into Mystic Ranger, gotten your wiz spells, gone SotAO, etc.

What next?

What's the breakout level? What's the PrC of choice?

Stalker of Kharash? Evil as a favored enemy seems pretty decent, plus BAB & spell progression, but again, nothing above 5th...

Thoughts?

Greenish
2011-01-29, 06:39 PM
Well, you could just keep going with ranger, especially if you have swift hunter going on, but your spells don't advance much after 10th level, so you could branch out there. If your DM rules that you cast arcane spells, Abjurant Champion and Swiftblade are quite fancy.

[Edit]: Yarr!

dextercorvia
2011-01-29, 11:45 PM
If your DM rules that SotAO are divine...

MysticRanger10/DivineCrusader1/Contemplative1/SacredExorcist8

with Turn Undead to fuel DMM or Divine Spell Power and the Spell domain for more almost Wizardly goodness.

gbprime
2011-01-30, 11:15 AM
Mystic Ranger 1-6 (two weapon fighting with staff, Education, Knowledge Devotion, Sword of Arcane Order)
Swiftblade 7-16 (add ARcane Strike and Minor SHapeshift)

After that, it's just candy. 4 more levels of mystic ranger for the improved 2 wpn fighting or Abjurant Champion for the toys if you feel like buying combat casting first.

poignant123
2011-01-30, 10:32 PM
Mystic Ranger only gets bow proficiencies and is limited to archery as his only combat style iirc.

gorfnab
2011-01-30, 11:00 PM
Mystic Ranger only gets bow proficiencies and is limited to archery as his only combat style iirc.
No where in the Mystic Ranger article does it say that they are limited to the archery based combat style. It does say, as you pointed out, that their only martial weapons are ranged. So you could go TWF with a Mystic Ranger using daggers, light maces, or other simple light or one handed weapons (unless you somehow gain martial weapon proficiency from another source).

Coidzor
2011-01-30, 11:08 PM
Or quarterstaves! :smallbiggrin: Which segue nicely into Eilservs School from Drow of the Underdark...

Though I'm not really sure what kind of magical staff a Mystic Ranger using Eilservs School would want or at what level ranges.

Akal Saris
2011-01-30, 11:13 PM
Depends if SoTAO allows you to qualify for arcane PrCs or not. If you can go arcane, then spellsword, abjurant champion, swiftblade, or jade phoenix mage all sound good to me.

If not, then maybe Mystic Ranger 5/Stalker of Kharesh 5/Sacred Exorcist 1/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 8 would be good. BAB +19, CL 17, IL 14, and extra swift actions are always nice.

CapnVan
2011-01-31, 01:51 AM
Beyond Sublime Chord (which is kind of a pain to qualify for in this case), is there any PrC that will advance a mystic ranger's spell levels?

Obviously, full BAB and full casting through level 10 is fantastic, but...

FMArthur
2011-01-31, 09:08 AM
Grab Ur-Priest after level 10 if you want to stay full-caster. 10 levels in Wildshape SotAO Mystic Ranger is basically as comprehensive as you can get in that amount of time, and I don't think any real "gish" prestige class bar Swiftblade actually offers you more than you lose by moving out of the class. Better to just take what it gives you and move on to greener pastures when it peters out.

CapnVan
2011-01-31, 11:53 AM
Would you rule that a SotAO can be evil? I see that Mystra allows LE for her clerics, but it strikes me as a stretch...

I do tend to try to keep the fluff along with the crunch, whenever possible.

SurlySeraph
2011-01-31, 12:02 PM
Probably not. But you could easily refluff it as a Sharran version, perhaps focusing on Necromancy and Illusion spells.

Coidzor
2011-01-31, 01:23 PM
Grab Ur-Priest after level 10 if you want to stay full-caster.

It just seems like such a waste to dump 5th level ranger and wizard spells though. :smallfrown:

Probably not. But you could easily refluff it as a Sharran version, perhaps focusing on Necromancy and Illusion spells.

Or Wee Jas as was implied by that one that dipped Crusader and went Ruby Knight Vindicator. (though it also could've been implied to use one of the alternate vindicators for Mystra/refluff RKV for mystra)

Urpriest
2011-01-31, 01:41 PM
If you can count as arcane, the unupdated Eunuch Warlock would give you higher level spells.

FMArthur
2011-01-31, 01:48 PM
It just seems like such a waste to dump 5th level ranger and wizard spells though. :smallfrown:

Well, with an abusive combination of Sanctum Spell and Earth Spell you could take Extra Slot to gain a spell slot one higher than your maximum each time you take it. You would be able to prepare and cast higher level Wizard spells this way, but you'd need a hefty source of bonus feats to make it useful.

edit: Wait, I misunderstood. You just want more 5th level Ranger and Wizard spells? Nothing is stopping you from taking 20 levels of Mystic Ranger. :smallconfused:

Greenish
2011-01-31, 01:51 PM
Well, with an abusive combination of Sanctum Spell and Earth Spell you could take Extra Slot to gain a spell slot one higher than your maximum each time you take it. You would be able to prepare and cast higher level Wizard spells this way, but you'd need a hefty source of bonus feats to make it useful.I think he means that by taking Ur-Priest, you lose your divine spellcasting.

FMArthur
2011-01-31, 01:53 PM
Do you lose your Wizard casting?

Coidzor
2011-01-31, 02:36 PM
Do you lose your Wizard casting?

You prepare wizard spells in your ranger spell slots, so if you lose the ranger casting from Ur-Priest nixing all divine casting (which is weird because you'd think that'd be a FR-only thing, but whatever), then you lose the ability to prepare wizard spells as well.