PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Organization Names

Beleriphon
2011-01-29, 07:15 PM
So here's the deal, I'm stuck on a name for a group in game. I'm still in the planning stage, I know what I want the group to be like and to do, but I'm not sure where to go for a name.

At at any rate, the basic premise of the organization is one that searches the world for ancient artifacts of the ancient world. The focus is on weapons, but they'll take anything they think might be useful. Think the Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout, but with a slightly more magical bent.

You can check the following link for more info regarding the game itself. Right now I'm not completely wedded to any given ruleset, but it's likely going to be 4E.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/pegbarrow

Amnestic
2011-01-29, 07:18 PM
I'm stealing cribbing it from Warcraft, but "Explorer's League" seems pretty decent for what you're after.

Or "I. Jones and Co.'s Tomb Raiding and Animal Taming Services". :smalltongue:

Kuma Kode
2011-01-29, 07:19 PM
Before even reading "Brotherhood of Steel" I was thinking "Seekers of Steel," so I guess Steel is kinda cliché.

Instead of naming them for what they're about, maybe where they started? "Stonemont Seekers" or something.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 07:20 PM
You could call it the Argentum, named after the Argentum, an organization that searches the world for ancient artefacts to arm the Purified with.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy. :smallamused:

BG
2011-01-29, 07:22 PM
It also depends on what sort of characteristics you want the organization to have and what sort of composition they have. Are they militant? Rogue-ish? Rich? Well-known?

Ravens_cry
2011-01-29, 07:22 PM
Local Professional Treasure Hunters Union #419
The Discoverers
Messrs Morbis and Bones Recollection Agency

J.Gellert
2011-01-29, 07:25 PM
If there's one big mcguffin that they are after, above all else, or a single legendary items that outshines anything they could potential find, you can call them "Seekers of McGuffin"

Otherwise... "Archaeologist's Guild" is fine, as the short description I read makes it seem like a down-to-earth, less MAGIC! name would fit.

Beleriphon
2011-01-29, 07:31 PM
It also depends on what sort of characteristics you want the organization to have and what sort of composition they have. Are they militant? Rogue-ish? Rich? Well-known?

Certainly militant, less roguish and more viciously opposed to other gain access to lost magics. Well known only so far as people know there is some group that may or may not exist. People are aware that they exist, they have dangerous and deadly magic and don't want other people to have it. Beyond the name and a very general idea of what they are the group's internal structure and members are unknown.

The general sense that I want is an organization that was formed immediately after, or immediately before the end of the world 5000 years prior, they still exist and are working to preserve as much of the old world as possible. They aren't necessarily benevolent since they view much of the rest of the world, which has decended into a pseudo-medival (D&D default tech levels et al) state. At some level they've descended into religoius fervour within their own beliefs.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-29, 07:35 PM
Antiquarian Society.

Amnestic
2011-01-29, 07:36 PM
Certainly militant, less roguish and more viciously opposed to other gain access to lost magics. Well known only so far as people know there is some group that may or may not exist. People are aware that they exist, they have dangerous and deadly magic and don't want other people to have it. Beyond the name and a very general idea of what they are the group's internal structure and members are unknown.

The general sense that I want is an organization that was formed immediately after, or immediately before the end of the world 5000 years prior, they still exist and are working to preserve as much of the old world as possible. They aren't necessarily benevolent since they view much of the rest of the world, which has decended into a pseudo-medival (D&D default tech levels et al) state. At some level they've descended into religoius fervour within their own beliefs.

"The Order of [Something Fantasy-y]"? Maybe name it after their founding leader or deity - just make sure it's not 'Bob' or something.

Antiquarian Society.

What've you got against Quarians? You're a Space Racist, you are!

Vangor
2011-01-29, 07:49 PM
Well known only so far as people know there is some group that may or may not exist. People are aware that they exist, they have dangerous and deadly magic and don't want other people to have it.

Why do they have a name, then? Have a few different, vague names given by others about them such as "Seekers", "Delvers", "Hunters-of-Arms", and so forth.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-29, 07:50 PM
Pick an animal (or mythical creature) and just stick an adjective in front of it.

Beleriphon
2011-01-29, 07:55 PM
"The Order of [Something Fantasy-y]"? Maybe name it after their founding leader or deity - just make sure it's not 'Bob' or something.

I already have two orders within the same religious group with Order in the name, I'd rather avoid that, but it's a good suggestion. One of the things that I'm really working with is taking the names of real places and corrupting them, changing pronunciations, or just dropping letters to produce different sounding name. Think how in Fallout you get Novac from a No Vacancy sign at a motel, The Pitt from Pittsburg, or Ronto from Toronto.

What've you got against Quarians? You're a Space Racist, you are!

There's nothing wrong with Quarians. They're awesome!

Lurkmoar
2011-01-29, 08:21 PM
There's nothing wrong with Quarians. They're awesome!

Except for the whole weakened immune system thing. And not being show a quarian face, those Bioware teases!

As for a name, how about something simple, like The Historians or the Raiders of the Lost Arcs?

Amnestic
2011-01-29, 08:44 PM
I already have two orders within the same religious group with Order in the name, I'd rather avoid that, but it's a good suggestion. One of the things that I'm really working with is taking the names of real places and corrupting them, changing pronunciations, or just dropping letters to produce different sounding name. Think how in Fallout you get Novac from a No Vacancy sign at a motel, The Pitt from Pittsburg, or Ronto from Toronto.

Hmm. If you've got enough Orders, maybe you could try "[Number (Seventh?)] Chapter of [Name]." It could be the last remaining sect of its group, the others having died out over the some 5,000 years since its initial founding. The [Name]...I dunno.

Beleriphon
2011-01-29, 08:54 PM
Hmm. If you've got enough Orders, maybe you could try "[Number (Seventh?)] Chapter of [Name]." It could be the last remaining sect of its group, the others having died out over the some 5,000 years since its initial founding. The [Name]...I dunno.

This. This I like. I envision some kind of military bent to them, 5000 year or remenant of some army. The 10th Company...

Feel free to continue to throw ideas out, the more the better. Military styled are good, but anything else is great as well.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-29, 09:07 PM
the basic premise of the organization is one that searches the world for ancient artifacts of the ancient world. The focus is on weapons, but they'll take anything they think might be useful. Think the Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout, but with a slightly more magical bent.

Step 1: Words
Adjectives:Ancient, Daring, Dedicated, Holy, Sacred, Secret
Profession: Artificer, Archeologist, Knight, Excavator, Scavenger
Organization: Guild, Order, Team, Union, Company

Step 2: Syntax
"The <Adjective> <Organization> of <Profession>s"
"The <Profession>'s <Organiation>"
"<Organization> of <Adjective> <Profession>s"

Done.

Swooper
2011-01-29, 09:15 PM
I'm stealing cribbing it from Warcraft, but "Explorer's League" seems pretty decent for what you're after.
Or to grab another page from that book: "The Reliquary". I like how it sounds.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 09:46 PM
Step 1: Words
Adjectives:Ancient, Daring, Dedicated, Holy, Sacred, Secret
Profession: Artificer, Archeologist, Knight, Excavator, Scavenger
Organization: Guild, Order, Team, Union, Company

Step 2: Syntax

Done.Of course, you'll want to roll on it:
Adjectives:

Ancient
Daring
Dedicated
Holy
Sacred
Secret

Profession:

Artificer
Archeologist
Knight
Excavator
Scavenger
Explorer

Organization:

Guild
Order
Team
Union
Company
Brotherhood

Syntax:

Sample rolls of 5, 2, 4 and 1 result in Union of Sacred Archeologists.

Vangor
2011-01-29, 09:54 PM
Sample rolls of 5, 2, 4 and 1 result in Union of Sacred Archeologists.

Listen, the only people we hate more than the bloody Tier 1s are the Sacred Archeologists Union. And the Sacred Union of Popular Archeologists. Splitters. And the Union of Sacred Archeologists.

We're the Union of Sacred Archeologists!

Oh, I thought we were the Popular Union.

KingFlameHawk
2011-01-29, 10:24 PM
Well based on what you and others have said I would think a good name would be like "The 52nd Army of the Old"

You said they have been around for 5000 years so they are old, therefore they are the 52nd version of the army (about 100 years for each)

They are basically tomb robbers but think they are the military of a dead country so army would be good

Since they are loyal to the old world and I would suspect want to bring it back so they would name them selves after it but leave it vag enough to create some mystery.

Valameer
2011-01-29, 10:36 PM
Knights of the Forgotten Order

The Enlightened

Or a devilishly ironic name, like "Ascetic Knights of the Benign Hand" which could be turned into A.K.B.H. or "the Hand."

Beleriphon
2011-01-29, 10:43 PM
Well based on what you and others have said I would think a good name would be like "The 52nd Army of the Old"

You said they have been around for 5000 years so they are old, therefore they are the 52nd version of the army (about 100 years for each)

They are basically tomb robbers but think they are the military of a dead country so army would be good

I think I have one: The 10th Dragoons.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-30, 05:08 AM
I think I have one: The 10th Dragoons.
Are they mounted? Otherwise it really wouldn't make sense.

Kaww
2011-01-30, 05:22 AM
If I wanted to run a secret society of pedestrians I would most certainly call them: 'xx Dragoons', 'Mounted regimen of xx', 'The xx riders of yy' or 'The cavaliers'. If you have a secret society notorious for doing everything mounted you walk.

nedz
2011-01-30, 05:44 AM
If your into bad puns: "The Stealers" :smallsmile:

umbrapolaris
2011-01-30, 07:43 AM
stargate SG-1? ok i leave... ^^

BG
2011-01-30, 04:57 PM
You can also give them some kind of nickname, like the Iron 10th, or something like that.

Clintodon
2011-02-02, 09:34 PM
Or, if you don't mind borrowing from Halo, "The Reclaimers". (The little blue robot, Guilty Spark, kept on referring to the Master Chief as "Reclaimer".)

Seems to fit both their mission of recovering/reclaiming lost and/or forgotten relics, and their apparent sense of ownership/right to the relics (claiming them again). (Also, from Halo, it keeps the implication that they recover a lot of weapons. Though none as powerful as the Halo Sterilization Ring of Doom . . . right? :smalleek: )