PDA

View Full Version : firearms proficiencies for d&d classes in magepunk setting

Elvenoutrider
2011-01-29, 10:54 PM
As the title says, IM attempting to build a magepunk setting where the pcs will have access to d20 modern firearms. IN d20 modrn they just give a straight firearm prificiency feat but I dont think that this is as appropriate to the setting. What firearms do my fellow playgrounders think each d&d 3.5 class would be able to use in a modern setting. My players are all experienced and could use any class beyond the core setting

dsmiles
2011-01-29, 11:22 PM
In general, I would divide it into five groups for a modern modern setting: Pistols, Rifles, Submachine Guns, Shotguns, and Heavy Weapons.

For a more 1700s to mid 1800s type of setting, I would go with just three: Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns.

Before the 1700s I would go with three as well: Hand Cannons (Pistols), Long Guns (Rifles), and Blunderbuss (Shotguns). I don't think I would divide it down so far as to get into the different types (flintlock, wheellock, etc.).

Yahzi
2011-01-29, 11:44 PM
Kinda the whole point of firearms is that they are easy to use.

It takes years to train your arm to pull a longbow and hold it steady more than a few times an hour. It takes months to learn to move with a sword without cutting yourself, let alone swing it around.

But guns? 20 minutes and you can kill somebody at 20 feet. A few hours a month, and a year later you're competent. Sure you're no crackshot - you don't have Weapon Specialization - but you've got basic proficiency. Black powder weapons are bit more fiddly, but they're still not about training muscles and stances like martial arts.

Maybe you should make guns easy to use, and all the commoners have them. This would change the level dynamic between your players and the NPCs - but probably in a direction you (as a DM) will like.