PDA

View Full Version : [Eberron] Cyre's Coat of Arms.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 11:04 PM
I was just leafing over Five Nations, and noticed Cyre is the only nation with no Coat of Arms shown, or even mentioned. ECS failed to illuminate the issue, so I turn to the playground:

What was the Coat of Arms of Cyre, and where is it detailed?

AslanCross
2011-01-30, 01:10 AM
The Forge of War's cover shows a clash between a Karrnathi undead brigade and what I presume is a detachment of Warforged from Cyre. The captain warforged's shield is green with a crown insignia, and a banner flying in the back shows the same green field with a crown inscribed within a laurel wreath and with a bell hanging below it.

http://www.waynereynolds.com/WOTCGallery2A/ForgeofWar.jpg

Greenish
2011-01-30, 01:18 AM
That cover is actually what provoked the question, since I couldn't place the insignia. The crown makes sense, but wasn't Cyre "the purple jewel of Galifar"?

AslanCross
2011-01-30, 01:21 AM
Good point, but I guess something was lost in communication. Point is, the books never really did describe it. This is the only illustration set before the end of the Last War (and IMO it probably is meant to depict the actual final battle, and the glow on the horizon isn't the sun, but the beginnings of the Mourning...), so we don't have much to go on.

Greenish
2011-01-30, 01:31 AM
Good point, but I guess something was lost in communication. Point is, the books never really did describe it. This is the only illustration set before the end of the Last War (and IMO it probably is meant to depict the actual final battle, and the glow on the horizon isn't the sun, but the beginnings of the Mourning...), so we don't have much to go on.True enough, and good catch on timing the picture, now that you mention it, there was a major battle about to start at the day of Mourning. Still, I can't recall offhand if it were the Cyrans who wielded a large warforged contingent or the Brelish.

[Edit]: Though there seems to be some artistic license: didn't the Mourning pretty much start with the "dead grey mist" that we know and love?

AslanCross
2011-01-30, 01:41 AM
Cyre fielded the highest numbers of Warforged thanks to their poor military. Breland was next, I think followed by Thrane.

Actually, regarding the Mourning, the very first dramatic manifestation that the Forge of War describes is "the sky catching fire" along with "deep fogs gathering." The flash of the "conflagration" was bright enough to blind soldiers as far away as Angwar Keep.

Greenish
2011-01-30, 01:48 AM
Actually, regarding the Mourning, the very first dramatic manifestation that the Forge of War describes is "the sky catching fire" along with "deep fogs gathering." The flash of the "conflagration" was bright enough to blind soldiers as far away as Angwar Keep.I bow to your superior knowledge of matters Eberron. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-01-30, 02:20 AM
Ahhh, fantasy country-wide atom bombs.

AslanCross
2011-01-30, 07:27 AM
I bow to your superior knowledge of matters Eberron. :smalltongue:

Thanks, I just read more than could be good for me a lot. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-01-30, 11:14 AM
Ahhh, fantasy country-wide atom bombs.Also brings a whole new meaning for the term "shaped charge". :smallwink:

arguskos
2011-01-30, 04:42 PM
That cover is actually what provoked the question, since I couldn't place the insignia. The crown makes sense, but wasn't Cyre "the purple jewel of Galifar"?
No, it's not, and yes, Five Nations does mention it. :smalltongue: In the Cyre sidebar on page 78, under Heraldry, it says "Crown and Bell on a field of green, above a hammer and bellows". That is almost certainly the coat of arms for Cyre. No image for it has ever been produced by WotC, though the Warforged shield above is about as close as it's gonna come.