PDA

View Full Version : Classes that advance through character level

G3N3R3L GHOST
2011-01-29, 11:44 PM
So this is just a random thought I was having. The majority of classes are obviously based around the class level whatever ability you gain. I was wondering if we could compile a list of classes that gain their abilities based on character level. In theory by dipping into these classes you could gain at least mediocre power levels on a lot of different powers as your character level continues to grow.

The two examples I can think of off the top of my head are Tome of Battle initiator level which can allow you to gain high level maneuevers with just a single level dip if you do it at the right time.

Another is the amount of essentia that can be invested in soulmelds. If you manage to get your essentia pool high enough a dip into a soulmelding class can give you just as high of an investment for essentia in any particular soulmeld as would be available for an unoptimized high level soulmelder.

Any other classes, Base or Prestige, that gain this sort of character level benifits. And while we are at it we can also consider templates or other things as well. Such as feral and its scaling properties...but mostly just the classes ;)

The-Mage-King
2011-01-29, 11:53 PM
Ardent. Their maximum power level is based on ML, not a set class advancement.

So a 6th level Illumian Something 5/Ardent 1 can have a ML of 6, and 3rd level powers, assuming the Krau symbol goes through the transparency and he picks up practiced manifester. Not bad.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2011-01-30, 12:16 AM
Ardent. Their maximum power level is based on ML, not a set class advancement.

So a 6th level Illumian Something 5/Ardent 1 can have a ML of 6, and 3rd level powers, assuming the Krau symbol goes through the transparency and he picks up practiced manifester. Not bad.

I was thinking there was some psionic based class out there somewhere that did. Good addition.

Runestar
2011-01-30, 12:27 AM
Monk grants stunning fist, whose DC is based on character lv. Technically, you could just take the feat, but its prereqs are pretty much if not granted directly by monk. Plus, for just 2 lvs, you get +3 to all saves, 3 bonus feats and evasion in light armour. :smallsmile:

Some of the swift or daring feats in complete scoundrel stack 2 classes together to determine benefits, so it can count as a form of scaling. For instance, a rogue3/swashbuckler4 with daring outlaw continues gaining sneak attack for additional swashbuckler lvs, as though he had taken more rogue lvs.

HunterOfJello
2011-01-30, 12:28 AM
The ToB classes gain a large benefit if you've taken levels in other classes before entering the ToB class. Swordsage dips at level 5 and 9 make some AMAZING characters.

The way is works is that you have 1/2 your level in all other classes as part of your Initiator level. So, if you have 8 levels in Fighter or any other class and take 1 level of Swordsage, you can pick out maneuvers (spell-like thingies) as a level 5 Swordsage would. This means instant access to 3rd level maneuvers with a 1 level dip.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2011-01-30, 12:47 AM
@ Runestar. Those feats that stack classes are pretty pro. I really wish there were more of them. And good call on the Monks stunning fist. For what it lacks as a class in general Monk is indeed an awesome dip class.

@ Jello. Yeah man ToB classes do certainly fit the bill as stated in the OP. As far as I know that is the best example of character level based abilities. But the attempt to find more intrigues me. Good write up on how the ToB works though for those that don't know already.

Runestar
2011-01-30, 01:03 AM
Also, the spellweaver and sylph (MM2) have sorc spellcasting which improves by HD. It is not clear if this is limited to only racial HD (an issue of dragon shows fighter lvs improving the spellweaver's innate spellcasting, for instance). If so, this means that for a sylph PC, sorc or eldritch knight lvs effectively count double. :smallbiggrin:

G3N3R3L GHOST
2011-01-30, 01:05 AM
Also, the spellweaver and sylph (MM2) have sorc spellcasting which improves by HD. It is not clear if this is limited to only racial HD (an issue of dragon shows fighter lvs improving the spellweaver's innate spellcasting, for instance). If so, this means that for a sylph PC, sorc or eldritch knight lvs effectively count double. :smallbiggrin:

Oh...now that is a good find. Bravo to you good sir haha. I'll have to look these creatures up myself and see what sort of cheese I can whip up out of that little gem hah