PDA

View Full Version : Divine and Arcane

thedrowranger
2011-01-30, 07:12 AM
So I'm going to be starting a new campaign soon where the focus is on both Divine classes and Arcane ones. I was planning on trying to combine the two as smoothly as possible. We're starting at 10th lvl with all standard books available minus The Book of Nine Swords an the Player's Handbook II. I'm looking for suggestions...

My Current concept is a Paladin 1-3/Mystic Fire Knight (Paladin)4-6/Sorcerer 3/ Abjant Champian 1

Now I used the Mystic Fire Knight because my endgame idea is to be a Mage Slayer. I did also take the feat of the same name and plan on going Spellsword by lvl 12 (or whenever my Spells match the prerequisites).

What do you think?

Greenish
2011-01-30, 11:17 AM
Too much paladin. Mage Slayer is better left for non-casters, due to CL penalty.

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 11:35 AM
Too much paladin. Mage Slayer is better left for non-casters, due to CL penalty.

Dude, Mystic Fire Knight is sexy.

Mage Slaying can be done in better ways, anyways. If you really want to crush stereotypical WOW addicts in D&D, go Rune-Scarred Berserker. For bonus points be a dwarf with two levels in Deepwarden. You are a Barbarian who blocks swords and casts AMF with your chest muscles. Or, yanno, be a Sorcerer and Counterspell. Or ready actions to Scorching Ray their face whenever they try to cast.

Greenish
2011-01-30, 11:46 AM
Dude, Mystic Fire Knight is sexy.Not as sexy as more sorcerer. Fact: sorcerers cast by using their sex appeal to convince the universe to do what they want.

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 12:00 PM
Not as sexy as more sorcerer. Fact: sorcerers cast by using their sex appeal to convince the universe to do what they want.

Psions are cooler, though. They make the universe their ***** by thinking hard.

And Paladins are immune to disease and almost anything that requires saves from their sheer sexiness. Also, Mystic Fire Knights can break magic. FROM NOTHING BUT SEXINESS! Hell, paladins can "Lay on Hands" to heal people. That's how sexy they are.

Greenish
2011-01-30, 12:07 PM
Also, Mystic Fire Knights can break magic. FROM NOTHING BUT SEXINESS! Hell, paladins can "Lay on Hands" to heal people. That's how sexy they are.Still not sexy enough. Mystic Fire Knights don't wear just shirts, they wear breastplates.

Sorcerers are too sexy for their shirts.

Czin
2011-01-30, 12:10 PM
Still not sexy enough. Mystic Fire Knights don't wear just shirts, they wear breastplates.

[male teenage hormones]Do female sorcerers still wear bras? :smallbiggrin:[/male teenage hormones.]

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 12:38 PM
Still not sexy enough. Mystic Fire Knights don't wear just shirts, they wear breastplates.

Think of it something like this:

I'm too sexy for my cuirass too sexy for my cuirass
So sexy it hurts
And I'm too sexy for my hauberk too sexy for hauberk
My gauntlets and my greaves~

[male teenage hormones]Do female sorcerers still wear bras? :smallbiggrin:[/male teenage hormones.]

Probably, assuming this is still using unrealistic fantasy armor, and it's magic, there's no reason why they can't wear chainmail bikinis.

Morph Bark
2011-01-30, 12:56 PM
Needs more Abjurant Champion.

Coidzor
2011-01-30, 01:06 PM

I think the standard is some sort of gauzy scarf-like apparatus that a stiff breeze could remove.

Joshinthemosh
2011-01-30, 01:12 PM
Probably, assuming this is still using unrealistic fantasy armor, and it's magic, there's no reason why they can't wear chainmail bikinis.

Arcane Spell Failure dude, Arcane Spell Failure

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 01:21 PM
Arcane Spell Failure dude, Arcane Spell Failure

Mithril Masterwork chain shirt. 0 ACP and AFC, I think.

Also, TBH, I misread and thought he said paladin, because I apparently have amazing reading skills without my glasses.

thedrowranger
2011-01-30, 01:52 PM
The reason I decided on so many lvls in Paladin is because the Mystic Fire KNight has to be the 4th, 5th or 6th lvls taken. Then I don't qualify for Abjant Champion till at least 10th lvl because my spell power isn't good enough.

Plus i liked the idea to play the quintasential knight (without much armor at the moment) but being able to cast a few spells here and there as I'm mowing through some of the bad guys.

My DM also liked the idea and mix and was the one that suggested that in a few lvls I take Spellsword to help negate the fact that I can start to wear heavier armors with less chance of spell failiur.

So assuming for now that I'm staying as is, any feat ideas?

I'm playing a human so by 10th lvl I will have 5 available...

Greenish
2011-01-30, 02:04 PM
Mithril Masterwork chain shirt. 0 ACP and AFC, I think.10% ASF. Need to slap Twilight on it.

The reason I decided on so many lvls in Paladin is because the Mystic Fire KNight has to be the 4th, 5th or 6th lvls taken.Mystic Fire Knight gets you a few low level paladin spells more. If you went sorcerer, you'd get better spells.

Then I don't qualify for Abjant Champion till at least 10th lvl because my spell power isn't good enough.AC only requires 1st level arcane spells so you could take it after paladin 5/sorcerer 1.

My DM also liked the idea and mix and was the one that suggested that in a few lvls I take Spellsword to help negate the fact that I can start to wear heavier armors with less chance of spell failiur.One level of spellsword is okay, more than that and you'll lose more than you gain. Mithral reduces ASF of an armour by 10%, Twilight (+1 property, MIC, PHBII and others) another 10%, and there are a couple of other methods.

The key point being: sorcerer has excellent spells for messing about in melee. Wraithstrike, Dolorous Blow, Whirling Blade, Mirror Image, Enlarge Person und so weiter... Few things are worth losing the casting progress.

Now, I don't mean that you'll have to play the cookiecutter, but the standard "sorcadin" build of paladin2/sorcerer4/spellsword1/abjurant champion5/sacred exorcist8 is 'standard' for a reason: it's very elegant and has great synergy.

thedrowranger
2011-01-30, 02:36 PM
I had forgotten about the Twilight property altogether (been a long time since I've played a caster), so that will be a definite. And I dod make the mistake to think that I needed at least 3 lvls of Sorcerer to prestige into Abjant Champion...

But trying to stay out of that cookie cutter method and going for a good character but not specifically min/maxed.

I like the abilities that the Mystic Fire Knight gets and wish to use them.

So looking at it now I think i'm going for Paladin 3/Mystic Fire Knight 3/Sorcerer 1/ Abjant Champian 3...

So what about feats? I like the idea of Mage Slayer but i'm not sold on the idea because I don't want a reach weapon, but holding to the readying action to move with them wich means i'm not being able to do a full attack.