PDA

View Full Version : A barbarian and [insert class here] build inquiry...

Alethiar
2011-01-30, 10:38 AM
Hi, I was looking for possible builds for a new campaign starting in a little while with my group. The campaign is a little different from normal D&D: the magical classes available to us are only the spontaneous casters, i.e. sorcerer and not wizard, mystic(? cannot remember exactly, got distracted when the GM explained :smallfrown:) instead of cleric, etc.

Races and magical classes are taken from the pathfinder corebook. The Books available for use are:
Core
Complete Warrior/Divine/arcane
Psionic / Complete Psionic
and maybe Complete Champion.

Spells belonging to the Polymorph family are forbidden, as is the Warshaper class, but the polymorph-like abilities given from the other classes (druid, bear warrior, etc.) are ok. Strange point-buy on, basically initial stats can be 7-20, all stats start at 10 and we got 24 points (i.e. 3 stats go at 18 and 3 stays at 10).

With that given, I was looking for two builds: one for my friend, who would like to play Barbarian, and one for me, who has no idea what class to do since the main roles in the group are covered (we are 7 people, but still no Rogue, maybe some class helping with traps without being a glass cannon?)

So, ideas? Powerleveling is encouraged, just not in extreme form... and of course, the more details, the better!

Arillius
2011-01-30, 10:25 PM
Are you sure thats how the point buy is going to work? Isn't it usually based off the point buy chart in the core rulebook?

Vangor
2011-01-30, 11:26 PM
If PHB2 is allowed, I would recommend the Beguiler. Plenty of skills including those for trapmonkeying and spontaneously casts illusion/enchantment spells.

As for the Barbarian, be a Bear Warrior. Even without Warshaper (why is this banned?) this is fairly useful and enjoyable as a tank both in physical damage and blocking paths/absorbing damage.

Flickerdart
2011-01-31, 12:05 AM
Your DM was probably talking about the Favored Soul, essentially a spontaneous Cleric that also sucks. The psionics books are probably your best bet for a caster, and something like Ardent or Erudite going into Sangehirn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c) can do some fair healing in a pinch while being very difficult to kill (since your Barbarian friend is probably going to be more concerned with axing faces off enemies instead of protecting your squishy butt, as well he should).

Hammerhead
2011-01-31, 01:34 AM
The Mystic's that spontaneous Cleric from Dragonlance, right?

I like the Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b), if it's kosher.