PDA

View Full Version : (3,5) A little help with a yuan-ti (+2 LA) player? :)

PetterTomBos
2011-01-30, 11:37 AM
Hiho :) Longtime lurker posting for the first time here.

I'm starting up a campagn at lvl. 1 for some people that are pretty new to D&D. Most have not played it before, but the one that has has been scimming trough MM1 and fallen in love with the Yuan-ti pureblood. Any input on how to handle the +2 LA when the guys start at lvl. 1 ?

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-30, 11:49 AM
It's normally not possible. A Yuan-Ti pureblood is an ECL 6 character (due to its 4 racial Hit Dice and +2 Level Adjustment).

You could create a Savage Species-style monster class for it, where the character can start at level 1 and slowly gain the monster's HD and special abilities gradually over the 6 levels until it equals the normal monster. Unfortunately, I don't think a monster class for the Yuan-Ti actually exists anywhere, so you'd have to make it yourself (or check the Homebrew forums to see if anyone has already made one).

Khatoblepas
2011-01-30, 11:55 AM
I thought Yuan-Ti purebloods had 4 RHD and LA+5?

Anyway, I looked around, and there's quite a nice Yuan-ti monster class here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8017736&postcount=126

It's not as powerful as a wizard, but heck, you're playing with newbies. A good build would be: Yuan-ti 7/Ur-Priest (fluffed to being worshipper of Mershaulk) 3/Yuan-ti Cultist 10

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-30, 12:06 PM
Anyway, I looked around, and there's quite a nice Yuan-ti monster class here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8017736&postcount=126

That class appears to be quite a bit stronger than the vanilla Yuan-Ti from the Monster Manual. It also appears to be based more on the Yuan-Ti Halfblood's stats.

However, it still might suit your purposes, OP.

PetterTomBos
2011-01-30, 01:46 PM
It's normally not possible. A Yuan-Ti pureblood is an ECL 6 character (due to its 4 racial Hit Dice and +2 Level Adjustment).

You could create a Savage Species-style monster class for it, where the character can start at level 1 and slowly gain the monster's HD and special abilities gradually over the 6 levels until it equals the normal monster. Unfortunately, I don't think a monster class for the Yuan-Ti actually exists anywhere, so you'd have to make it yourself (or check the Homebrew forums to see if anyone has already made one).

Ahh, didn't think of the racial hit dice, my old gaming group at home used to just ignore those (weird I know, turned monster pcs into cheeese), so I've never really gotten used to them :smallredface:

I guess I'll try to cook up some light version of the homebrew you guys linked to, thanks ! :)