PDA

View Full Version : [Feat]The Songs of the Sun and Moon (3.5)

unosarta
2011-01-30, 02:38 PM
[Music] feats grant an additional 2 uses of the Bardic Music ability per day, for each [Music] feat the Bard possesses.

Song of Night and Day [Music]
The bard gains a supernatural ability over light and darkness.
Prerequisites: Bardic Music.
Benefits: The Bard may spend a use of his Bardic Music ability, to cast either Daylight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/daylight.htm), or Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm), however, both of these spells count as spells of second level. The Caster Level is equal to the class level of the bard.
Special: These effects do not function in an Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm).

Song of Night
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/035/c/8/Fly_Me_To_The_Moon_by_Marinshe.jpg

Midnight Anthem [Music]
the Bard gains a heightened ability when performing in the Darkness.
Prerequisites: Song of Night and Day, Perform 9 ranks.
Benefits: The Bard may, instead of granting allies a bonus to attack and damage rolls with their Inspire Courage ability, give all enemies that hear the song a penalty of equal magnitude to attack and damage rolls. This penalty increases by a number equal to one fourth of his level, rounded down, when in Darkness, or the effect of a Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) spell, or a spell with the Darkness descriptor of equal to or higher spell level.
Special: The Bard may not take Ballad of the Sun if he or she has taken this feat.

Shadow Hymn [Music]
Prerequisites: Midnight Anthem, Perform 12 ranks
Benefits: By expending a Bardic Music use, the Bard gains Darkvision out to 30 feet for a number of hours equal to his or her Charisma bonus.
Special: This is an Extraordinary ability, not affected by an Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm), or similar effect.

Tenebrous Tune [Music]
Prerequisites: Shadow Hymn, Perform 15 Ranks.
Benefits: By spending two Bardic Music uses, the Bard may cause all creatures affected by his Fascination Bardic Music ability to make a Will save (10+½ Bard Level+Charisma Bonus) or fall asleep for a number of rounds equal to half of the Bards class level, rounded down. This affects those who are immune to Mindaffecting abilities, although they gain a +4 bonus. Those who are mindless gain a +8 bonus. This is an Extraordinary ability.

Murky Melody [Music]
Prerequisites: Tenebrous Tune, Perform 18 Ranks.
Benefits: By spending two Bardic Music uses, the Bard may cast the Moonlight spell, with a caster level equal to their Bard level.

Crepuscule Chant [Music]
Prerequisites: Murky Melody, Perform 21 ranks.
Benefits: The Bard turns into an outsider of the (Moon) subtype. He gains all the benefits garnered from being that subtype, and also from being an Outsider.
Special: The Bard may still be resurrected.

Song of Day
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/356/c/6/sing_by_s0h3illvii-d35f4fe.jpg

Ballad of the Sun [Music]
The Bard gains greater ability in the Light.
Prerequisites: Song of Night and Day, Perform 9 ranks.
Benefits: The Bard gains a bonus to his Inspire Courage ability equal to one fourth his bard level, rounded down, when in Daylight, or the effect of a Daylight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/daylight.htm) spell, or a spell with the Light descriptor of equal or higher spell level (level 2 and up, essentially). Those who receive the benefits of the Bards music do no necessarily have to be in the light as well.
Special The Bard may not take Midnight Anthem if he or she has taken this feat.

Vivid Verse [Music]
Prerequisites: Ballad of the Sun, Perform 12 ranks.
Benefits: By expending a Bardic Music use, the Bard may cast a Scorching Ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scorchingRay.htm) spell, with a caster level equal to half of his or her Bard level.

Radiant Refrain [Music]
Prerequisites: Vivid Verse, Perform 15 Ranks.
Benefits: The Bard may bolster his allies that are affected by his Inspire Courage ability, granting them fast healing equal to twice the Bard’s Charisma modifier as long as the song continues, by spending an extra Bardic Music use upon starting the song.

Shining Psalm [Music]
Prerequisites: Radiant Refrain, Perform 18 ranks.
Benefits: The Bard may spend two Bardic Music uses in order to cast the Holyfire spell, with a caster level equal to their bard level.

Ablaze Aria [Music]
Prerequisites: Shining Psalm, Perform 21 ranks.
Benefits: The Bard turns into an outsider of the (Sun) subtype. He gains all of the benefits garnered by being of that subtype, and those from being an Outsider.
Special: The Bard may still be resurrected.

Outsider Subtypes

(Sun)
Sun Outsiders are a race of Outsiders closely related to those with the (Native) subtype, but residing and originating from the Solar Plane. A (Sun) outsider does not necessarily have to have a specific alignment based on their subtype, and their alignments vary widely depending upon the exact layer of the Solar Plane upon which they were born.

Traits
• Lowlight Vision.
• Immunity to Acid, Fire, Petrification and Polymorph effects.
• Resistance to Electricity 15 and Cold 15.
• +4 bonus against Poisons and Disease.
• Protective Aura (Su): Protection from attacks made by Lunar creatures, this bonus includes a +4 Deflection Bonus and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet. Otherwise, functions as a Magic Circle Against Lunar and a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (Caster Level equals the Outsiders HD).
• Aura of Light (Ex): A Sun Outsider constantly emanates an Aura of Light, as a Daylight Spell, but with a Spell level of ninth level. Creatures harmed by Light and Light based spells automatically take 10d6 damage, when entering the Aura, and an additional 10d6 damage per round, and must make a DC (10+½ HD+ Charisma bonus) Fortitude save or be stunned for one round, while still taking the damage. If the creature is stunned, the next round they must make a Fortitude save of the Same DC, or be blinded, permanently, or until a Heal, or Restoration spell is cast on them. This Aura extends out 40 yards.

(Moon)
Moon Outsiders are Outsiders closely related to those of the (Native) subtype, but residing and Originating from the Lunar Plane. A (Moon) outsider does not necessarily have to have a specific alignment based on their subtype, and their alignments vary widely depending on which part of the Lunar Plane they are born in.

Traits
• Darkvision.
• Immunity to Acid, Cold, Petrification and Polymorph Effects.
• Resistance to Electricity 15 and Fire 15.
• +4 Bonus against Poisons and Disease.
• Protective Aura (Su): Protection from attacks made by Solar creatures, this bonus includes a +4 Deflection Bonus and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet. Otherwise, functions as a Magic Circle Against Solar and a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (Caster Level equals the Outsiders HD).
• Aura of Darkness (Ex): A Moon Outsider constantly emanates an Aura of Darkness, as a Darkness spell, but with a Spell level of ninth level. Creatures who have Darkvision cannot see in this dark (Other Moon creatures are exempt from this effect), and those that have low light vision or better Panic, and must make a DC (10+½ HD+ Charisma Bonus) Will save or be Frightened for one round, when they enter the area of the Aura. If they fail the first save, and then fail a subsequent save, they take 10d6 damage. This is untyped damage. If someone takes damage from this ability they must make a Will save (DC 10+½ HD+ Charisma), or be permanently frightened of the dark. If they ever enter an area with total or entire darkness, they must make a Will save equal to the first DC, or become panicked for one round. If they are still in the Darkness after that round, they must roll again or be panicked for another round, until they leave the darkness. If the darkness is ever removed, either via a torch, or a light spell, the Creature still must spend a round cowering. After that, they function normally, or until they enter an area of total or magical darkness again. The darkness does not have to necessarily be magical in order to trigger this fear, but it must be total. A Caster must cast a Greater Restoration spell, and roll a Will save, (DC 10+½ HD+ Charisma) or become frightened of the Darkness as well.

Magic Circle against Lunar
Abjuration [Solar]
Level: Class Level
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Area: 10 ft. radius emanating from the touched target
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: No; See text
This Spell functions exactly as Magic Circle against Evil, except as denoted here. It only affects those with the Lunar Subtype. When a Magic Circle against Lunar is turned inward for the binding, the Aura of Darkness that most Lunar creatures have is turned off for the duration. As soon as the Spell ends, it starts back up again.

Magic Circle against Solar
Abjuration [Lunar]
Level: Clr 3, Pal 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Range: Touch
Area: 10 ft. radius emanating from the touched target
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: No; See text

This Spell functions exactly as Magic Circle against Evil, except as denoted here. It only affects those with the Solar Subtype. When a Magic Circle against Solar is turned inward for the binding, the Aura of Light that most Solar creatures have is turned off for the duration. As soon as the Spell ends, it starts back up again.

Holyfire
Evocation [Solar]
Level: Clr 6
Components: V, S.
Casting Time: 1 standard action.
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 30-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You point at a location within range of the spell, and a giant ball of glowing what fire erupts at a certain point, and all friendly characters within a 30 foot radius heal damage equal to twice your Caster Level (Maximum 35 healing), and dealing half Fire damage, and half Untyped damage equal to twice your Caster Level (Maximum 35 damage) to all opponents within the area.

Moonlight
Evocation [Lunar]
Level: Clr 6
Components: V, S.
Range: Long 9400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 30-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You point at a location within range of the spell and a great shaft of darkness falls upon the area. All friendly undead within 30 feet take a number of negative energy damage equal to twice your caster level (maximum 35 damage), and all opponents take damage equal to twice your caster level (maximum 35 damage), half of which is cold damage, and half of which is untyped.

onthetown
2011-01-30, 05:45 PM
I know nothing of balancing, however... I just wanted to drop in and say... I love this!

unosarta
2011-01-30, 05:46 PM
I know nothing of balancing, however... I just wanted to drop in and say... I love this!

Thank you!

I actually wrote this a long time ago, but I never felt like posting it up on the forum, for some reason.

LOTRfan
2011-01-30, 07:47 PM
Any plans on expanding the Solar and Lunar planes?

unosarta
2011-01-30, 07:51 PM
Any plans on expanding the Solar and Lunar planes?

Eventually. My basic ideas were that the Solar and Lunar planes have different layers. Each is progressively more and more hostile to outside influence. Solar layers get progressively hotter and hotter, and the Lunar get progressively colder and colder. I didn't really have any other ideas than that, and any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

Welknair
2011-01-30, 08:31 PM
I think "Shadow Hymn" is missing the number of Perform ranks needed...

(Still need to read the rest)

unosarta
2011-01-30, 08:34 PM
I think "Shadow Hymn" is missing the number of Perform ranks needed...

(Still need to read the rest)
Ah, good catch!

Thank you, good sir.

[Edit]: Yeah, I ended up shifting around the ranks of the first few feats in order to make it more aligned with feat progression.

Gorgondantess
2011-01-30, 09:32 PM
While it's all quite cool, the balance is a little... off.
First of all: Song of Night & Day. Ridiculously good, if just for bardic music uses- you're looking at 4, bare minimum, but likely going up to 10.
Tenebrous Tune save DC is silly high. 10+1/2 bard level+Cha mod alone is going to be higher than pretty much any spell the bard can cast- tack on 1/2 perform ranks, and pretty much nothing is going to save against it.
The subtypes are also pretty ridiculously good. A good handful of immunities & permanent less globe of invulnerability, and a really, really potent aura of darkness. Probably needs to be toned down.

Other than that, though, it's wonderfully flavorful. I quite like it. Though I'm a little perturbed at the lunar being all evil & such- I mean, what bard has undead followers? Classically, the moon is generally represented as more neutral than evil, and remember that it is a source of light. It just tends to come with the darkness.

unosarta
2011-01-30, 09:50 PM
While it's all quite cool, the balance is a little... off.
First of all: Song of Night & Day. Ridiculously good, if just for bardic music uses- you're looking at 4, bare minimum, but likely going up to 10.
Tenebrous Tune save DC is silly high. 10+1/2 bard level+Cha mod alone is going to be higher than pretty much any spell the bard can cast- tack on 1/2 perform ranks, and pretty much nothing is going to save against it.
The subtypes are also pretty ridiculously good. A good handful of immunities & permanent less globe of invulnerability, and a really, really potent aura of darkness. Probably needs to be toned down.
Yeesh. I haven't looked at them in over a year, and I certainly wasn't looking at balance. :smalleek:

I am going to go edit some stuff.

As for the Final feat thing; think about it this way; that is the last feat in a line of 5 feats. That mean that, if you aren't a human, you get to choose 2 feats. In total. If you are in a prestige class with more than two feat requirements, without flaws and human race, you can't really get the last feat. Even with flaws and human, more than half of your feats are being dedicated to this line. In fact, I forgot about The Song of Night and Day. That means that, without human or flaws, you get a grand total of 1 feat that you get to choose. :smalleek:

[Edit]: Oh! I remember what my reasoning for the increased Bardic Music uses was! Without that increase, the Bard gets barely any uses for the actual feat abilities. If you look at them, most of those feats are probably going to be used once or twice per day, maybe three or four times for some of the damaging ones. The Bard is going to be using Bardic Music at least once per encounter. If the DM has four encounters per day, which many do, then the Bard is more than likely spending at least 4 Bardic Music uses, just on a song like Inspire Courage. If they need to use more, it becomes more like 6 to 8 uses. Then you add in the other abilities. At level nine, the first level where the Bard gets to use abilities that use Bardic Music uses, the Bard will already be using at least 4 uses per encounter on songs. Because of the bonus of Midnight Anthem/Ballad of the Sun, they are more likely using 8, in order to keep the perfect conditions for their songs, maybe less if the DM is catering to the needs of the bard. So, let's go with 7 uses per day. Then, the character gets two uses for anything else. If they need to switch songs? They're screwed. If they want to use the abilities granted by their feats? Yeah, they can use them once, maybe twice per day. This doesn't change altogether much by the time they get to use the next feat, and the same happens on the next feat.

Maybe a better way than simply giving them Charisma modifier in extra uses, maybe I could give them two extra uses per musical feat? That might work better.

Other than that, though, it's wonderfully flavorful. I quite like it. Though I'm a little perturbed at the lunar being all evil & such- I mean, what bard has undead followers? Classically, the moon is generally represented as more neutral than evil, and remember that it is a source of light. It just tends to come with the darkness.

Well, I was mostly trying to model the spell as the counter opposite to Holyfire. The feats themselves are not evil at all. What do you think a better effect for the Moonlight spell would be, instead of negative energy damage?