PDA

View Full Version : The King's Speech

Avilan the Grey
2011-01-30, 04:05 PM
...I walked by the local theatre yesterday and a sign was taped on the door: "Midnight Preview SOLD OUT". :smallsmile:

This means that this movie is as hyped as LOTR. AT LEAST. I have never seen a sign of this kind for this kind of movie before.

ThePhantasm
2011-01-30, 05:51 PM
While I'm sure there is good hype for the movie, I highly doubt it is comparable to LOTR. Plus, the King's Speech is playing in a much more limited number of theatres.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-01-30, 06:17 PM
How is it a preview when I saw this movie weekend before last? Its gone down and back up the box office charts last I checked. Presumably off Oscar Noms and word of mouth.

It is a good movie though. The cluster F bomb had me rolling in my seat.

VanBuren
2011-01-30, 06:49 PM
It's been out in theaters since late November.

That said, I really enjoyed the movie. Colin Firth was incredible, and even though the plot was fairly predictable (and since this is based in history, not too avoidable) it was pulled off with style.

ThePhantasm
2011-01-30, 06:52 PM
It's been out in theaters since late November.

It probably depends on the country. I don't know what the release date is in Sweden where Avilan is apparently from?

VanBuren
2011-01-30, 06:53 PM
It probably depends on the country. I don't know what the release date is in Sweden where Avilan is apparently from?

Ah yeah, that's true. Still, it's been received with some pretty major acclaim over here, so I'm not surprised that it sold out.

AshDesert
2011-01-30, 11:12 PM
I thought it was a bit overrated, but there were some rock-solid performances and a really seldom-told bit of history (who doesn't love a bromance?). Overall, pretty good movie, and I wouldn't be upset if it won some Oscars. With all the hype it's getting over here, I'm not at all surprised that midnight screenings are selling out in countries that it's just opening up in.

Avilan the Grey
2011-01-31, 03:00 AM

Exactly; I can't see it yet... :smallfrown:

Athaniar
2011-01-31, 08:05 AM
I can't really understand the appeal of this film. I haven't seen it, but seriously, a king has a speech impediment? It has to be better than it sounds, because it sounds really boring.

Wargor
2011-01-31, 08:13 AM
It's an epic journey of self confidence! A King finding his voice! Fulfilling his birth rite! :smalltongue: That said I'm not too bothered about seeing it either...

kamikasei
2011-01-31, 08:21 AM
I can't really understand the appeal of this film. I haven't seen it, but seriously, a king has a speech impediment? It has to be better than it sounds, because it sounds really boring.
It's not about a king with a speech impediment. It's about a younger prince whose speech impediment (among other things) has left him with no self-confidence, living in the shadow of his father and older brother, who gets thrust in to power and public view and has to overcome his limitations. It's a character piece.

Flickerdart
2011-01-31, 11:36 AM
It's a movie about British people being silly. Those are always great.

Avilan the Grey
2011-01-31, 12:15 PM

It's a well written, extremely well played historical drama. Just like The Queen, one of my absolute favorites of all time.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-31, 12:28 PM
Don't forget that the setting (historical and in the film) makes it all the more important and relevant that, as George VI, he has the confidence to stand up as a moral leader of Britain. The story of gaining that confidence becomes more gripping because of its wider ramifications.

Avilan the Grey
2011-01-31, 12:30 PM
Don't forget that the setting (historical and in the film) makes it all the more important and relevant that, as George VI, he has the confidence to stand up as a moral leader of Britain. The story of gaining that confidence becomes more gripping because of its wider ramifications.

Exactly; he was never meant to be king, and turned out to be the best one Britain have had for a long time.

VanBuren
2011-01-31, 01:12 PM

What others have said. In addition, it's also set against the backdrop of the the beginning of World War II. It's a journey about him growing out of the shadow of his father, and his brother. Overcoming his own limitations and becoming the king, and the man, that his people need him to to be.

Truth be told, I didn't know anything about the guy before I saw the movie.

He was a good king, yes?

Avilan the Grey
2011-01-31, 01:16 PM
What others have said. In addition, it's also set against the backdrop of the the beginning of World War II. It's a journey about him growing out of the shadow of his father, and his brother. Overcoming his own limitations and becoming the king, and the man, that his people need him to to be.

Truth be told, I didn't know anything about the guy before I saw the movie.

He was a good king, yes?

As far as I can tell.
Outside Britain he is most famous for refusing to evacuate during the war. As his wife put it: "The children won't go without me. I won't leave the King. And the King will never leave."

VanBuren
2011-01-31, 01:19 PM
As far as I can tell.
Outside Britain he is most famous for refusing to evacuate during the war. As his wife put it: "The children won't go without me. I won't leave the King. And the King will never leave."

The sense I got was that his major accomplishment was being something of a rallying symbol for the people. Especially noteworthy in light of the bombings and all the more impressive in light of where he started.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-31, 01:50 PM
He was a very effective moral leader during the Second World War, working incredibly well alongside Churchill (they famously had one of the closest working relationships between monarch and Prime Minister in British history) - the effects of the maintenance of morale in the face of the Axis powers in spurring Britain on to carry on the fight when all looked lost cannot be overstated and as a result he is remembered extremely fondly (though with not quite the same level of reverence ascribed to Churchill).

Soras Teva Gee
2011-02-01, 12:57 AM
I think that's Bertie was not Winston Churchill is a very important point in the movie.