PDA

View Full Version : Is there not a raise animal spell?

randomhero00
2011-01-30, 04:41 PM
So roleplay wise druids would get pretty close to their animal companions I'd think. But all the book gives is ways to summon new ones not ressurect the old ones they've had for 6 years and have a huge bond with RP wise. So is there not a raise animal type spell or did I miss it? It seems like it should be available at level 1, as soon as they get an animal companion.

Waker
2011-01-30, 04:44 PM
I can't be bothered to look in the other books, so my response is built upon the premise that the Player's Handbook is the only source available.

Anyways, while a druid may be fond of their animal companion, they are still a druid. Death is a natural part of nature. To use magic to bring back their companion is irresponsible. They could use reincarnate to do this, but the results could be amusing.

Jair Barik
2011-01-30, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure any of the normal rez spells/Psionics (resurrection, true resurrection, psionic revivification) would work on ana animal companion.

randomhero00
2011-01-30, 04:51 PM
I can't be bothered to look in the other books, so my response is built upon the premise that the Player's Handbook is the only source available.

Anyways, while a druid may be fond of their animal companion, they are still a druid. Death is a natural part of nature. To use magic to bring back their companion is irresponsible. They could use reincarnate to do this, but the results could be amusing.

Well one of the logical reasons being that they're playing pathfinder and playing a shaman type, so a lion shaman can only summon cats. If you're in a place with no cats to call....and your companion dies. ....

vegetalss4
2011-01-30, 04:55 PM
either use reincarnate (if you can accept that it will get a differen't body, and your dm wants to make a table for your companion)

or get a friendly cleric to use raise dead, both work fine on animals.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-30, 04:59 PM
Technically, they can be raised with any of the resurrection spells, including the one druids get, Reincarnate. They will be decidedly more humanoid after unless your DM decides to draw up an alternate list as the spell suggests.

randomhero00
2011-01-30, 05:02 PM
Technically, they can be raised with any of the resurrection spells, including the one druids get, Reincarnate. They will be decidedly more humanoid after unless your DM decides to draw up an alternate list as the spell suggests.

seems super silly though. I'm going to ask if I can research a raise animal spell that takes 24 hours to cast. So basically the same as calling a new one.

raitalin
2011-01-30, 05:02 PM
This might be seen as a bit of balance for the whole "no penalty for them dying and they're generally easily replaced" thing.

Also there's something of a precedent set for the whole "only clerics (favored souls/archivists) get to bring things back to life", so if I was a DM I might allow a "reincarnate companion" spell at perhaps 3rd level, but not much else.

ericgrau
2011-01-30, 05:06 PM
Could get a bit unbalancing if used on other animals though. Godzilla will never be gone. How about a "raise companion" spell? EDIT: or reincarnate sure, how about where you pick the new form so there's no drawback whatsoever. Even for those who want to change companions as they level up. "Hey buddy, see, I don't want to lose you but I need you to be a megaraptor now <stabs>."

randomhero00
2011-01-30, 05:08 PM
This might be seen as a bit of balance for the whole "no penalty for them dying and they're generally easily replaced" thing.

Also there's something of a precedent set for the whole "only clerics (favored souls/archivists) get to bring things back to life", so if I was a DM I might allow a "reincarnate companion" spell at perhaps 3rd level, but not much else.

Well it wouldn't if the ritual took 24 hours just like the calling of a new animal. It'd be exactly the same. Its only roleplay difference.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-30, 05:20 PM
Well it wouldn't if the ritual took 24 hours just like the calling of a new animal. It'd be exactly the same. Its only roleplay difference.
I thought that too, but then I realized it also allows you to get the same one, no matter the enviroment.

onthetown
2011-01-30, 05:53 PM
I'm agreeing with one of the first responses and saying that it's because of the druid's nature. Dying is just a part of the cycle of life, and (given how in-tune with nature they are) I would think that druids would be pretty chill with their animal companion dying. They would mourn the loss of a life, yes, but then move on.

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-30, 05:58 PM
I'm agreeing with one of the first responses and saying that it's because of the druid's nature. Dying is just a part of the cycle of life, and (given how in-tune with nature they are) I would think that druids would be pretty chill with their animal companion dying. They would mourn the loss of a life, yes, but then move on.

Agreed. If you want to keep your AC, you're going to have to fight to keep it alive. They are already too disposable IMHO. I like the idea of having to keep my AC alive, if I want to have the kind of buddy story of fantasy fiction. I like the idea of having to choose between my pet lizard and the party rogue. I say "nay" to a raise companion spell.

Now, there is a Heal spell 5th level I believe in the Spell Compendium that gets you a heal for your furry friend a bit earlier than you would for your party members.