PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Dexterity Fighter; Help Needed!

Flob
2011-01-30, 06:40 PM
Well, it looks like it's that time again in my gaming group. We are making new characters. First off, the group (all level 1, of course!)

Gnome Druid (bear animal companion)
Human Barbarian (planning on taking a lot of other fighting classes)
Kobold Summoner (because he can)
Half-Elf Sorcerer

And than theres me... I'm making a human fighter WITH THE TWO-HANDED FIGHTER ACF's, using dexterity as my main attribute. I'm weilding an Elven Curve Blade with Weapon Finesse and using Power Attack. So, first three level feats taken. My question is; where do I go from here? My stats are;
Str: 13
Dex: 19
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 7
Cha: 7

So, anybody have any ideas for me? We have; The Beastiary, Advanced Players Guide, and the Core Rule Book.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-30, 08:19 PM
I would suggest using a different ACF (or just straight fighter) if you are really intent on being DEX based: you lose the armor training (allows you to wear heavier armor and DEX) by doing the 2 handed fighter ACF.

Flob
2011-01-30, 08:45 PM
I would do a different line if there was a dexterity based fighter, but, sadly, there is not. I'm mostly just looking for feats that I should take and maybe a couple of items/weapon enchantments (I'm planning on crit-fishing, so I'll be taking the feat to improve critical range).

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-30, 09:35 PM
well, there kind of is: straight Fighter. DEX mod of +7 in mithril fullplate sounds pretty DEX oriented to me.

crit fishing sucks: Even with the best crit fishing feat (Telling Blow, add Sneak attack to damage on a crit) and improved critical it still sucks. it is based purely on luck, not the build. In short (for a lot of reasons) I would advise against it.

grarrrg
2011-01-30, 10:33 PM
A few things.
Have you considered Elf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/elf)? You're spending your Human bonus feat on "Elven Curve Blade", which Elves get for free anyway. You'd also trade +1 skill/level for a good handful of other racial abilities, and you can always shuffle your stat points to negate the Con penalty.

You may want to consider either the Mobile Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter#TOC-Mobile-Fighter) ACF, you'd keep (most) of the Armor Training abilities, and gain a "Pounce"-like ability to move and (almost)-full attack.
OR
You mentioned it being a Crit-Fisher build, so Weapon Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter#TOC-Weapon-Master) ACF may work as well. It has a few "crit enhancer" bonuses. But again, you lose out on the Armor Mastery.
Straight Fighter also seems to be a viable option.

You may want to consider a dip of Barbarian for a level or two. And you may want to swap Rage out for "Serenity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/3pp-previews/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/strategists-tacticians-the-definitive-guide-to-clever-warriors)". You gain bonuses to Dex, Wis and Saves, instead of the standard Rage boosts.

tyckspoon
2011-01-30, 11:00 PM
crit fishing sucks: Even with the best crit fishing feat (Telling Blow, add Sneak attack to damage on a crit) and improved critical it still sucks. it is based purely on luck, not the build. In short (for a lot of reasons) I would advise against it.

Pathfinder has a series of extra-effect-on-critical feats that can make it pay off, but they're depressingly high level; the first one requires BAB +11. And most of them aren't all that good anyway.. but, still, if you're gonna straight-class Fighter all the way that high, it's something you can do.

Sarakos
2011-01-31, 12:06 AM
Feats I recommend are critical focus, cleave, great cleave, Furious focus, and combat expertise. Also you can't go wrong with improved initiative

Some other feats you might consider if you have extra feat slots you don't know what to do with: bloody assault, disruptive and spell breaker (if fighting a lot of casters), quick draw (personal favorite of mine), and sundering strike (something about the mental image of criting someone so hard their weapon snaps in half appeals to me) :)

Personally I enchant my weapons with keen rather than take the improved critical feat. Logic being that money is easier to get a hold of than feats.

Lastly if you make it to the 11-15 level range, cockatrice strike and critical mastery are two essentials. I don't have much to say on enchantments, go with what you like, I'd advise against the flaming enchants as it's the most common one to be resisted or out right immune to.

Flob
2011-01-31, 07:08 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the responses. So it's sounding like I should either;
A) Do something else
B) Pick the Mobile Fighter
C) Pick the Weapon Master

As for the feats, I'll probably be taking most (if not all) of the feats recommended above. I'm not too worried about opitimization, our group is... inexperienced, at best. Any more suggestions?

grarrrg
2011-01-31, 11:42 PM
Get Quick Draw and carry a bow with a variety pack of arrows. You've got the Dex and Bab, and it can come in VERY handy at times.

One thing that bothers me is your HORRENDOUS will save. Fighter has bad progression, and you'll start with a -2 penalty. Not good.
Looking at the available "Good Will Save" classes, the best choice appears to be the Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor).
4 levels will cost you 1 Bab and 4 hp.
You will gain +4 to Will Save, 4 skill points per level, 2/day uses of Judgement, the ability to pretend your friends have Teamwork Feats, and a Domain (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/magic/spell-lists-and-domains/domains#TOC-Darkness-Domain).
Granted, you will NOT be able to cast spells, but certain domains have useful 'side benefits'. Such as:
Darkness Domain gives you Blind-Fight feat for free.
Protection gives you +1 all saving throws.
Travel gives you +10ft. movement.
A side note, at Inquisitor 3 you'll be able to swap out your most recent Teamwork feat for a different one. Some of the bonuses are extra to-hit on a Flank, extra to-hit on AoO's, and +1d6 damage when flanking.

You may also want to consider "plain" Fighter, as opposed to any of the ACF's. If for no other reason than you get to keep full Armor Mastery bonuses, which can possibly let you wear Heavy Armor and keep your full Dex bonus.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-31, 11:55 PM
You may also want to consider "plain" Fighter, as opposed to any of the ACF's. If for no other reason than you get to keep full Armor Mastery bonuses, which can possibly let you wear Heavy Armor and keep your full Dex bonus.

completely agree with this +1