PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Alchemist improved natural attack

mooseofshadows
2011-01-30, 08:45 PM
I'm playing an alchemist which I'm playing as a kind of "mr. hyde" character. Right now I'm at level two, but I've been looking at ways to try to increase damage. My main question is this: is there any ruling on whether "improved natural attack" would work for claws/bite in feral mutagen? I've seen some official stuff that says it doesn't apply for monks, but that says it doesn't apply for unarmed attack, which is a little different. I've also seen arguments both ways on some message boards ("they're claws; why not?" vs. "you don't have it all the time, so you don't qualify.").

I know this might just be speculation as well, but I'd appreciate some input. Ultimately the answer is probably going to be "ask the GM", which I'll be more than happy to do, I just want to know if there's one thing or another that I could do.

TL;DR can an alchemist take improved natural attack?

mooseofshadows
2011-02-04, 04:28 PM
Any help at all?

Mojo_Rat
2011-02-05, 01:22 AM
it works for the feral mutagen. the reason it doesn't work for monks is they don't actually have natural attacks they have something that can be the recipient if spells and affects as if it were.

butbthe feral alchemist actualy has claws.

NamelessNPC
2011-02-05, 08:01 PM
Actually, no. You only have the claws when you drink the mutagen. Anyway, as you said, I think the answer is "ask your DM". It shouldn't be a problem, I guess.

CodeRed
2011-02-05, 08:23 PM
Yes. You have a natural attack with the claws. There isn't a reason why you shouldn't be able to take it unless your DM thinks it is overpowered.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 09:02 PM
it works for the feral mutagen. the reason it doesn't work for monks is they don't actually have natural attacks they have something that can be the recipient if spells and affects as if it were.

Is this a specific change in PF as in standard 3.5 imp natural attack works with unarmed strike.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-05, 10:36 PM

Actually, the reason it doesn't work if Designers said no. They admitted it would otherwise work but thought it too strong a benefit.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 10:39 PM
Actually, the reason it doesn't work if Designers said no. They admitted it would otherwise work but thought it too strong a benefit.

That is such a cop out. They should fix the mechanics not just declare it does not work just because you do not like it even though you admit it should. It is also inelegant I expect better from them.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-05, 11:08 PM
It was Jeremy (one of the designers). I think it might be in the FAQ but he was one who answered the sites question about it.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 11:14 PM
It was Jeremy (one of the designers). I think it might be in the FAQ but he was one who answered the sites question about it.

I believe you it just strikes me as being a really inelegant, heavy handed, and lazy way to fix a perceived problem in the rules. Considering they beta test this stuff they could have written a better wording to prevent what they want to prevent.