PDA

View Full Version : Reducing size of PCs? [3.5]

Forb
2011-01-31, 12:45 AM
I've been wanting to play a Pixie for a while, but I like the idea of something more like Tinkerbell than what is in the Monster Manual. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any way to reduce the size of a PC with RAW.

I like the idea of playing a character that is Tiny for many reasons, but there are also some benefits to being that small. Is there something that I've missed that will allow me to do this without a house-ruling?

GreyMantle
2011-01-31, 02:01 AM
There's a ring in Lords of Madness that gives you a permanent reduce effect, I believe.

senrath
2011-01-31, 02:21 AM
You could make an item of continual Compression, I suppose. Although you'll have to run that by your DM, since that's a custom magic item.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-31, 02:25 AM
As a direct modification? None that I know of. You could always try to get a permanent reduce person spell placed on you, though(note such a spell would be vulnerable to Dispel Magic)

2xMachina
2011-01-31, 02:35 AM
+1 to Ring of Reduction from LoM. It's 20k though, but it affects non-humanoids who wear it. Don't have to worry about dispel, as it only suppresses for a while if targeted.

Koury
2011-01-31, 02:39 AM
Jermlaine is a PC race in, off the top of my head MM3 (?), which is Tiny. Not for anyone interested in CHA though.

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-31, 02:45 AM
... Permancied Reduce Person?

Ravens_cry
2011-01-31, 02:59 AM
See if you can get your DM to let you play a Petal? They are in MM3, tiny sized, but are 'cohort only'.

Alleine
2011-01-31, 03:07 AM
If you don't care too much about race, you can get reduced to fine with enough cash to pay a druid for the spell Return to Nature(Eberron Campaign Setting) as many times as you want. When cast on giants, it acts like a reduce person spell of instantaneous duration. Because it's instant it can't be dispelled and, I believe, stacks with itself.

GreyMantle
2011-01-31, 03:18 AM
If you don't care too much about race, you can get reduced to fine with enough cash to pay a druid for the spell Return to Nature(Eberron Campaign Setting) as many times as you want. When cast on giants, it acts like a reduce person spell of instantaneous duration. Because it's instant it can't be dispelled and, I believe, stacks with itself.

I could envision it being rather enjoyable to play as a miniature giant... although the RHD and LA would be a killer.

Alleine
2011-01-31, 03:40 AM
That's why you play a half giant, or half ogre. There's probably other ways to get the giant type but those are the easiest/cheapest. Half-Giant is probably the best way to go though. Other ways of becoming giant are either costly, or the benefits of being giant are negated by shrinking.

2xMachina
2011-01-31, 04:35 AM

... Diminutive giant?

Amnestic
2011-01-31, 08:02 AM
Tibbits (Dragon Compendium Vol. 1) can shapeshift into a kitty at will which is Tiny. Combine it with a class like the Warlock (Eldritch Blast) or Dragonfire Adept (Breath weapon) and you can do your job almost perfectly as an ordinary housecat which shoots lasers or breathes fire.

Obviously it's not quite the same as a Pixie and your abilities while Tiny are somewhat restricted due to the lack of equipment and inability to use spells with somatic or verbal components, but it's something RAW which lets you be tiny sized nonetheless. Bonus: No LA.

Forb
2011-01-31, 09:00 PM
Tibbits (Dragon Compendium Vol. 1) can shapeshift into a kitty at will which is Tiny. Combine it with a class like the Warlock (Eldritch Blast) or Dragonfire Adept (Breath weapon) and you can do your job almost perfectly as an ordinary housecat which shoots lasers or breathes fire.

Obviously it's not quite the same as a Pixie and your abilities while Tiny are somewhat restricted due to the lack of equipment and inability to use spells with somatic or verbal components, but it's something RAW which lets you be tiny sized nonetheless. Bonus: No LA.

Heh, this is my favorite suggestion. One I think I will actually use, if I can't get a house-ruling to let me play a Tiny Pixie. That would be a really cool feature for role-play too.

Ilmryn
2011-01-31, 09:06 PM
Ask your DM to run escape from the forest of lanters. All pcs get one size smaller in that. True, it is because they turn into 10-year-olds....:smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2011-01-31, 09:09 PM
Yeah, Tibbit Warlocks and Tibbit DFAs are popular.

No question why, though. I mean, one is basically this:
http://www.kkayla.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Cat_firing_lazer.jpg
And the other is basically this:
http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.76884756.jpg

Tvtyrant
2011-01-31, 09:10 PM
Apply the Dungeonbreed template to a pixie; instant tiny!

ericgrau
2011-01-31, 09:23 PM
If the DM is ok with it losing 2 dex in exchange for the size reduction is fair. I mean from either you get +1 AB, +1 AC, a hide bonus that is almost useless for you, and heck you're actually getting a penalty to grapple. OTOH it's easier to carry smaller things, but that's a minor benefit as soon as you get a handy haversack and not all things come in miniature versions. You have to find some fluff reason why you're so small and yet less agile instead of more, but given how super agile pixies are already it's not a big stretch.