PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Few questions about scrolls

Zedicius
2011-01-31, 01:55 AM
Owkay, what I read from scrolls and what I read under the Use Magic Device skill it seems the DC of using scrolls is determined in two ways.

Firstly, as a 'magic item' where the rules of Use Magic Device are used in which case the DC is [20 + caster level].

Secondly as an item the character can normally use without issue, for example, an arcane scroll, used by a wizard of the appropriate class level. If the wizard's caster level is lower then that of the scroll, the user has to make a 'caster level check' of which the DC is [caster level + 1], correct?

My second question is about deciphering spell scrolls. If you have a scroll of a spell that's already in your spell book, do you still need to decipher the scroll? Additionally, if you buy a scroll from a shop, assuming they sold you the spell you wanted, do you still need to decipher it as well?

teslas
2011-01-31, 04:56 AM
Owkay, what I read from scrolls and what I read under the Use Magic Device skill it seems the DC of using scrolls is determined in two ways.

Firstly, as a 'magic item' where the rules of Use Magic Device are used in which case the DC is [20 + caster level].

Secondly as an item the character can normally use without issue, for example, an arcane scroll, used by a wizard of the appropriate class level. If the wizard's caster level is lower then that of the scroll, the user has to make a 'caster level check' of which the DC is [caster level + 1], correct?

My second question is about deciphering spell scrolls. If you have a scroll of a spell that's already in your spell book, do you still need to decipher the scroll? Additionally, if you buy a scroll from a shop, assuming they sold you the spell you wanted, do you still need to decipher it as well?

Question 1: I didn't find the question in there. If there is one I think you answered it yourself?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm

Question 2: Yes, you must decipher it if you wish to cast it without using the Use Magic Device skill. Keep in mind that Read Magic is a cantrip. You shouldn't even have to roll the Spellcraft check to decipher it. You can do this at any time in almost all situations and then know what the scroll does for later use. If you have a bunch from the same source or someone helps you decipher it, then it may not be an issue. But again, just cast Read Magic.

dsmiles
2011-01-31, 08:34 AM
There's only one UMD DC you should ever need:

Go on. You know you want to blindly activate EVERYTHING. (I know I do. :smallcool:)