PDA

View Full Version : What to eat - or not - before exercising?

Cheesegear
2011-01-31, 04:39 AM
So, I'm getting back into exercising after about a month (holidays, floods), and, for about the last two weeks, something's been bugging me.

When I eat before exercising, I get sick, then vomit. But, then I'm okay again after about five minutes. But, still, for like, ten minutes before that, it's not a pleasant experience.

If I don't eat, then I get dizzy, and that's bad. Since I do most of my running on the road, and I'd hate to pass out in the middle of the street.

Well, also, it's coming into a proper Australian summer, so, it could be the heat. Or it could just be the month off I've had?

Anyway, what are you supposed to eat before you exercise? If anything?

rayne_dragon
2011-01-31, 04:49 AM
My best guess is the best thing to eat before exercising depends on if you're trying to build muscle or loose weight. If the former - protein; the latter - salad. I'd try eating at least an hour or two before exercising too, but that could be different for you personally. Basically, if you're getting dizzy (and are certain you aren't getting dehydrated) then try eating sooner before you exercise, if you're getting naseous then try waiting longer after eating.

Snow Leopard
2011-01-31, 05:35 AM
Hi,
I go to swimming pool three times a week and based on my experience my recommendations are:
- Eating at least two hours before
- Eat something that you can digest quickly, for example fruit, but you also need protein and carbohydrates, so bread and honey

Moreover, as rayne_dragon said, you should find out the eating time more suitable for you.

Have a nice time exercising!

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 05:42 AM
I always exercise before eating.

It gets my body in a calorie-burning mode, and has worked well when I did so for weight loss.

Brother Oni
2011-01-31, 07:23 AM
It varies from person to person, however some general advice:

Try to eat a couple hours before exercising, otherwise you won't have the energy to properly exercise, plus without sufficient insulin in your system from being properly fed, you won't put on any mucle mass.

Don't eat just before exercising - the blood flow has been increased to your digestive tract to better absorb the incoming nutrients. Exercising diverts blood flow to your muscles to cope with the strain, so having two competing demands isn't good for your system. In any case, having undigested food bounce around in your stomach can cause nausea and vomitting.

If you really must eat before you exercise then eat something light and sugary that's easily digestable. I personally like skittles. :smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2011-01-31, 08:15 AM
I prefer a sandwich before exercising or something bread related. It tends to stay in more. Under no circumstances will I ever eat spaghetti even 2 hours before serious activity!

Crow
2011-01-31, 10:01 AM
Cheese, are you sure you're getting enough water throughout the day before you exercise?

In any case, I eat a small protein bar before exercising. Barring that, half a banana and a small glass of milk or few pieces of jerky 30 minutes prior do the trick.

Then eat a big healthy meal (about 3/2/1 ratio grams carb/protein/fat) right after the workout.

Lycan 01
2011-01-31, 10:21 AM
I try not to work out until an hour or so after I eat. Especially if I'm going jogging or something. If I go for a run within 30 minutes of eating or drinking anything, I get a rather painful stitch in my side... :smallconfused: