PDA

View Full Version : Strange pet peeve you have?

Pages : [1] 2

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 05:41 AM
For me, it's that there are some folks that type sentence after sentence, paragraph after paragraph, and even page after page, but they will put "with" as "w/", "years" as "yrs", and so forth.

All that effort, and you still use shortcuts? Really?

Agh...

Anyways, what about you all?

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-31, 06:21 AM
I've got several:

People discussing the literary value of Twilight. I have no problem discussing the plot, the movies, whatever, just don't try to say it's an example of decent writing.

People entering my room with any footwear or dirty socks/shoes. I value my beautiful burgundy rug a lot.

People playing a piano with their hands sticky/dirty. I feel the pain of the poor instrument as it is being played.

People insisting I change languages in MSN. I tend to vary between English and Spanish with schoolmates and add Italian for a friend who's studying linguistics, they all understand the language in which I talk.

People turning on the lights upon entering an occupied room. If I'm in the midst of darkness it's because I need it to clearly see the screen, not because I'm too lazy to turn the lights on.

Lillith
2011-01-31, 06:23 AM
I'm so busy trying to avoid fights and conflicts that I cause fights and conflicts. Vicious circle. :smallsigh:

Ravens_cry
2011-01-31, 07:29 AM
'teh'
It looks so sloppy, like a well used handkerchief.

Obrysii
2011-01-31, 08:04 AM
People who say "kay."

People who say "mkay" or, if online, "mk"

Both sound like you just don't care.

People who respond with "yes" to a "this or that" question. Example, "Do you think we should go to Taco Bell or McDonalds?" "Yes."

VioletRice
2011-01-31, 09:37 AM
People who use "gay" as an insult.

People who randomly spit. :smallyuk:

Flickering lights.

People who say "kay."

I have to admit I'm guilty of that. :smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-31, 09:42 AM
People who respond with "yes" to a "this or that" question. Example, "Do you think we should go to Taco Bell or McDonalds?" "Yes."

That a perfectly valid response, it means either one of them is ok or both of them are ok. You set yourself up with questions with "or". Obligatory tvtropes link. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle3zaap0y7ym6o)

Use Xor instead.

Lix Lorn
2011-01-31, 10:04 AM
I inherited correct usage of 'Decimate' from my grandfather.
Also, when people insult something for the sake of it. Like hatedoms. I hate hatedoms. (Pun intended.)

People who say "kay."
I do that. ^^''
I tend to use it with an exclamation mark, implying a cheerful (yet possibly childish) demeanor.

Cyrion
2011-01-31, 10:10 AM
"Where are you at?"

For some reason, I find this one disproportionally irritating. I usually reply "Behind the at."

Mina Kobold
2011-01-31, 10:30 AM
Swearing, not that people insult others with a word that mean something both of them would be doing if the teacher wouldn't take away their iPods for it.

People who laugh at those that are different and use them as insults (Or as clubs, for that matter) to others.

Not wearing your pants properly.

Discriminating jokes.

My classmates' taste in music.

My classmates' lack of cool hats.

It seems my classmates are my problem. Bet I could fix that if I knew how to build an army of robots.

People who say "kay."

I use it for jokes, mostly of the variant "Hey! Wanna be a bird for life?" "Kay". I apologise for my poor sense of humour.

Obrysii
2011-01-31, 11:02 AM

People who randomly spit. :smallyuk:

I was kicked from a few guilds in World of Warcraft because I argued against using "gay" as an insult.

People who chew gum with their mouth open ...big petpeeve.

People who bring coffee into a hardware store and leave the empty cup wherever they happen to be.

People who open and eat food they haven't paid for in a grocery store.

People who throw their cigarette butts out of their car window - um, folks, you do know those don't biodegrade, right?

...a lot of things bother me, I guess.

MoonCat
2011-01-31, 11:20 AM
People who call themselves hackers because they edited Wikipedia.

Toilet humor

Anyone who implies I shouldn't swear so muchFunny story:
I'm at school one day and accidentally knock over a cup. I say "Dammit!" and go clean up. Girl standing in the doorway stares at me disapprovingly and says; "Some people would say people shouldn't swear like that.
"Really?", I say, "Well f*ck them too, then."

Thufir
2011-01-31, 11:35 AM
People misspelling my name, especially when they have seen it written out (spelled correctly) by me.

VioletRice
2011-01-31, 12:03 PM
I was kicked from a few guilds in World of Warcraft because I argued against using "gay" as an insult.

One of my main problems with MMORPGs. You play them to game with other people, but then you finally get in a guild, and find that everyone's a jerk. :smallsigh:

Another pet peeve: When I text someone asking for their input on something, and they text me back saying "cool" or "lol".. THAT'S NOT USEFUL INPUT!

Dogmantra
2011-01-31, 12:15 PM
One of the things that really bothers me but shouldn't because it's pretty much a stylistic choice is "ok". I've spelt it out as "okay" for as long as I can remember, so it just feels right that way. "OK" gets on my nerves even more but it shouldn't.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-31, 12:19 PM
People misspelling my name, especially when they have seen it written out (spelled correctly) by me.

I've seen that happen many times to you, Thurfir. It must be incredibly irritating. :smallwink:

I have far too many pet peeves to list. I'll have to select the most interesting ones once they come to the forefront of my mind.

Marillion
2011-01-31, 12:36 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/Saroth/2010-11-21-peeve.gif

Sipex
2011-01-31, 12:49 PM
A lot of my pet peeves extend from actions or things on the internet.

That said, I can't get into them because I break out in all caps and long swearing tirades.

Thufir
2011-01-31, 12:54 PM
I've seen that happen many times to you, Thurfir. It must be incredibly irritating. :smallwink:

:smallfurious:

I was actually referring to my real name, but yeah, it applies to the username as well.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-31, 12:55 PM
One of the things that really bothers me but shouldn't because it's pretty much a stylistic choice is "ok". I've spelt it out as "okay" for as long as I can remember, so it just feels right that way. "OK" gets on my nerves even more but it shouldn't.

That's also a dialect thing.

British spell-checkers refuse to acknowledge Okay as a word but will correct ok to OK.

Ergo, British acknowledgement bother you.

Thus I will acknowledge you in Owl.

*Hoot*

Dogmantra
2011-01-31, 12:58 PM
That's also a dialect thing.

British spell-checkers refuse to acknowledge Okay as a word but will correct ok to OK.

Ergo, British acknowledgement bother you.

Thus I will acknowledge you in Owl.

*Hoot*
But but but

I'M BRITISH. :smalleek:

Lix Lorn
2011-01-31, 01:13 PM
I think I'd just put that down to 'Spell Checkers suck'.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-31, 01:32 PM
I think I'd just put that down to 'Spell Checkers suck'.

Wouldn't put it that way, but probably.

But we still need more British.

Or it's back to school for you , my duckie! :smalltongue:

valadil
2011-01-31, 01:39 PM
People who refer to things by the wrong name. I don't mind if it's done as a joke or if the wrong name has no other meaning. But my wife insists on calling sweatshirts sweaters and I can never figure out what kind of shirt she's actually asking me to hand her.

Mecharious
2011-01-31, 01:43 PM
People who talk about their workout routines.

People who use the word "literally" to mean the exact opposite of its definition. (e.g. "I'm literally going to kill you!")

When i.e. is incorrectly used. A bit grammar nazi-ish on my part, but it has bugged me for a while.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-31, 01:48 PM
People who refer to things by the wrong name. I don't mind if it's done as a joke or if the wrong name has no other meaning. But my wife insists on calling sweatshirts sweaters and I can never figure out what kind of shirt she's actually asking me to hand her.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweatshirt) agrees with your wife.

Sweatshirts are a specific subspecies of sweaters apparently.

As are Cardigans, if fossil records are to be believed.

VioletRice
2011-01-31, 01:56 PM
People who use the word "literally" to mean the exact opposite of its definition. (e.g. "I'm literally going to kill you!")

There was a writing class my friend was in where one of the students wrote a story with the sentence "she literally held her bleeding heart in her hands."

It was a story about a woman having her heart broken apparently.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-31, 02:00 PM
There was a writing class my friend was in where one of the students wrote a story with the sentence "she literally held her bleeding heart in her hands."

It was a story about a woman having her heart broken apparently.

It is possible. They could have ripped her heart out and tied it to her hand with a string, fulfilling the heart in her hands statement.

As for breaking a heart, I believe you have to freeze it to break it in the traditional sense of the word.

KuReshtin
2011-01-31, 02:41 PM
My pet peeve is when people ask a geniune question regarding some problem they have, and get a totally irrelevant and completely impractical response.

Most commonly found on forums where someone asks a technical question, like "I'm using Windows 7 and want to do this or that, but I don't know how. Can anyone help me?" and someone feels compelled to reply with "Buy a Mac" or "Install Linux".

Those types of replies are completely useless and gives absolutely no solution, and doesn't even try to give a solution, to the problem at hand.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-31, 02:54 PM
My pet peeve is when people ask a geniune question regarding some problem they have, and get a totally irrelevant and completely impractical response.

Most commonly found on forums where someone asks a technical question, like "I'm using Windows 7 and want to do this or that, but I don't know how. Can anyone help me?" and someone feels compelled to reply with "Buy a Mac" or "Install Linux".

Those types of replies are completely useless and gives absolutely no solution, and doesn't even try to give a solution, to the problem at hand.

Sometimes, asking for a change on OS is valid, though most of the time it's not.
It won't pop-up much if you take it to the appropriate fora though. Also, sometimes it's used as a mocking of the few information that is posted or of it's irrelevance to the problem at hand.

Though it's in fact annoying, there are keywords to asking for a determined system. To get help with Mac just take it to the local genius bar and complain about it, to get help with Linux, go to a Linux forum and say the OS is unstable and therefore crappy because <Insert problem and specs here>, they will then explain you why it happened and how to fix it, to get help with Windows, either a)Learn Hindu and call Microsoft tech support b)Call a local technician, c)Hit the PC with something hard and hope it works or d)Go here and ask (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories).

Keld Denar
2011-01-31, 02:59 PM
I HATE people one other phone carriers who send text messages that are like, 165 characters long. If its longer than 160, it gets broken into two messages, one with 160 characters...one with 5 FREAKIN CHARACTERS. Is it SO hard to look at your character limits, then go back and change a word or two, or drop some punctuation or use an abreviation or something to shorten it down 5 characters?

I'm currently talking to a girl who does this. Like, 9/10 messages are like this. I don't care how hot she is, I'm so close to blocking her number...

KuReshtin
2011-01-31, 03:01 PM
Sometimes, asking for a change on OS is valid, though most of the time it's not.
It won't pop-up much if you take it to the appropriate fora though. Also, sometimes it's used as a mocking of the few information that is posted or of it's irrelevance to the problem at hand.

Though it's in fact annoying, there are keywords to asking for a determined system. To get help with Mac just take it to the local genius bar and complain about it, to get help with Linux, go to a Linux forum and say the OS is unstable and therefore crappy because <Insert problem and specs here>, they will then explain you why it happened and how to fix it, to get help with Windows, either a)Learn Hindu and call Microsoft tech support b)Call a local technician, c)Hit the PC with something hard and hope it works or d)Go here and ask (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories).

I know full well that people who don't give enough information to solve their problem set themselves up for receiving irrelevant information as replies, but when you see a specific question, for instance on these forums, where the question specifies that the user uses Firefox, specifies a detailed problem, and then clearly states that he/she doesn't want to change to another browser, and then someone still decides to post that they should use Chrome instead, that's neither a solution to the problem as presented, nor a response that is wanted as it was specifically mentioned that it wouldn't be.

Those responses are neither witty, smart, funny or useful, and are mainly just a waste of everyone's time.

Dogmantra
2011-01-31, 03:03 PM
Those responses are neither witty, smart, funny or useful, and are mainly just a waste of everyone's time.

Try having different problems
please don't kill me

Coidzor
2011-01-31, 03:09 PM
Word of God (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod) (tvtropes warning tag). Half the time when authors use it at all, it seems like a crutch or a way to get out of actually dealing with a subject. The other half of the time it just grates on me.

KuReshtin
2011-01-31, 03:12 PM
Try having different problems

I'm not having these problems.
I'm just fed up with seeing them in threads posted where a proper response to a proper question would help.

MikelaC1
2011-01-31, 03:23 PM
Twitter
Facebook

Their existance is a blight on humanity.

Nageto004
2011-01-31, 03:34 PM
Rap music (with a few exceptions), people who wear their pants lower than their behind, people who lie on the Internet to fell better about them self, idiots.

arguskos
2011-01-31, 03:45 PM
People who think topics kill conversation, when it's people who kill it.

The concept that understand=agreement. :smallfurious: Hate this so much.

When someone capitalizes my username. Ok, this is really really minor, but dammit, if I wanted to be called "Arguskos", I'd have it over there. <----- I don't, so don't do it. :smallannoyed:

The idea that me having headphones in is a written invitation to treat me like I'm not actually there. Just cause I'm listening to music doesn't mean I'm deaf, so I'd appreciate you not talking about me when I'm SITTING RIGHT THERE.

General lack of courtesy in the area of food, especially from wait staff. Yes, your job is hard. No, that doesn't excuse the THEFT OF MY MONEY. I want my change, dammit, and no snide "is there a problem, sir" crap! If there was an issue, I'd tell you about it. I haven't, therefore there isn't. Let me get back to my meal and conversation! :smallmad:

ghost_warlock
2011-01-31, 04:04 PM
My biggest pet peeve these days is vague, passive aggressive facebook status updates.

Also, recently, flirting has become a pet peeve. Additionally, people who think that, because they've flirted with you, they can ask favors from you.

People who have songs for ringtones, despite the fact that the sound quality is always atrocious.

Oh, and a HUGE one these days - League of Legends. The game is insipid and just makes everyone angsty, can we please move on, now? :smallfurious:

I specifically want you to know that I do this every time I get the chance simply because it's mildly amusing to me. :smalltongue:

The idea that me having headphones in is a written invitation to treat me like I'm not actually there. Just cause I'm listening to music doesn't mean I'm deaf, so I'd appreciate you not talking about me when I'm SITTING RIGHT THERE.

I'm the opposite. If I'm wearing my headphones it means I want people to leave me the heck alone. :smallannoyed: Talk about me all you want, just don't disturb me.

valadil
2011-01-31, 04:25 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweatshirt) agrees with your wife.

Sweatshirts are a specific subspecies of sweaters apparently.

Fair enough. Guess I picked a bad example.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-31, 04:30 PM

To be fair, to those of us who use Linux, "install Linux" is pretty much the solution to any given problem. Including problems in Linux, actually.

KuReshtin
2011-01-31, 04:40 PM
To be fair, to those of us who use Linux, "install Linux" is pretty much the solution to any given problem. Including problems in Linux, actually.

That might be the right solution for you, but if it's stated as not being an option, then why even mention it?

It's as if you posted a question saying that your bicycle had a flat tyre and you wanted advice on how to fix it, and I'd reply with 'buy a car'.
It would waste your time, because you'd go into the thread thinking that someone'd given you a helpful answer, only to find out something that helps no one.

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 04:48 PM
I HATE people one other phone carriers who send text messages that are like, 165 characters long. If its longer than 160, it gets broken into two messages, one with 160 characters...one with 5 FREAKIN CHARACTERS. Is it SO hard to look at your character limits, then go back and change a word or two, or drop some punctuation or use an abreviation or something to shorten it down 5 characters?

I'm currently talking to a girl who does this. Like, 9/10 messages are like this. I don't care how hot she is, I'm so close to blocking her number...

I'd think you'd be for the preservation of good capitalization, grammar, and punctuation. Unless it's a life-or-death situation/a genuine hurry, why not try to be as correct as possible?

You're.
Your.

Ad infinitum.

Cyrion
2011-01-31, 04:52 PM
You're.
Your.

ur

C'mon, somebody had to say it.

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 04:53 PM
ur

C'mon, somebody had to say it.

Whenever I see it, I have to ask if they're talking about Ur Priests.

Altaria87
2011-01-31, 04:54 PM
'James Cameron's Avatar' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Yeah, it just annoys me how people praise them so highly, especially on their 'morals'. I don't praise people who say 'trees=good' or 'racism=bad' for being progressive. Also, it doesn't help that I find the story in Avatar to be atrocious, and the characters in To Kill a Mocingbird inconsistent at best.
Yes, I did have to do To KIll a Mockingbird as my English Literature study. I'm not bitter.

Edit: My other pet peeve is my own awful, awful typing.

thubby
2011-01-31, 04:58 PM
touch my glasses, and you will suffer for it.

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 05:07 PM
touch my glasses, and you will suffer for it.

When wearing them, when they're off your face, or both situations?

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-31, 05:13 PM
That might be the right solution for you, but if it's stated as not being an option, then why even mention it?

It's as if you posted a question saying that your bicycle had a flat tyre and you wanted advice on how to fix it, and I'd reply with 'buy a car'.
It would waste your time, because you'd go into the thread thinking that someone'd given you a helpful answer, only to find out something that helps no one.

You just have to remember that, in our deluded little heads, "install Linux" is more equivalent to "get a free car that is better than cars/bikes that cost money in every perceivable way and will only have kinda endearing problems which are relatively easy to solve, sit-com style."

I'm being somewhat facetious, but not entirely; I doubt it would ever register with me, ever, that installing Linux wasn't an option. Its technocommie brainwashing is too powerful.

thubby
2011-01-31, 05:14 PM
When wearing them, when they're off your face, or both situations?

much more the former than the latter. but they both annoy.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-31, 05:19 PM
You just have to remember that, in our deluded little heads, "install Linux" is more equivalent to "get a free car that is better than cars/bikes that cost money in every perceivable way and will only have kinda endearing problems which are relatively easy to solve, sit-com style."

I'm being somewhat facetious, but not entirely; I doubt it would ever register with me, ever, that installing Linux wasn't an option. Its technocommie brainwashing is too powerful.

You forget that in the process of installing it you will face all the problems that you would otherwise experience on the time frame of 5 years of any other OS. So, you either spend 5 years of slow suffering and patching or spend two days of crying over a dying machine who rejects Linux yet needs it to live and afterwards won't bother you ever.

To follow the analogy:
Linux is a car delivered at your location, however the keys to it are located on a box 5 Kilometers away. After that initial trip, you will never get off the car.

much more the former than the latter. but they both annoy.

People touch your glasses while you wear them?
My problem is hugging when I've got them hanging from their strap.
Scratch that, I don't like hugging at all except for a number of cases.

arguskos
2011-01-31, 05:22 PM
I'm the opposite. If I'm wearing my headphones it means I want people to leave me the heck alone. :smallannoyed: Talk about me all you want, just don't disturb me.
Oh, I don't want to talk TO you, but I want you to not talk ABOUT me like I can't hear you or I'm not there. You want to bash me? Fine. Do it out of my sight radius. Headphones don't change that. It's just rude.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-31, 05:23 PM
You forget that in the process of installing it you will face all the problems that you would otherwise experience on the time frame of 5 years of any other OS. So, you either spend 5 years of slow suffering and patching or spend two days of crying over a dying machine who rejects Linux yet needs it to live and afterwards won't bother you ever.

To follow the analogy:
Linux is a car delivered at your location, however the keys to it are located on a box 5 Kilometers away. After that initial trip, you will never get off the car.

Really? I had no trouble installing it, at all. Just popped in a CD and off it went, and it's been working fine ever since. There was a while where the headphones didn't mute the speakers, but that was kinda cute and I just had to install new drivers or update my version of Ubuntu.

Orzel
2011-01-31, 05:30 PM
People who dont take "I don't know" as an answer.

People who talk loud in their cell phones.

People who walk slowly in a group while blocking the whole sidewalk.

I HAVE PLACES TO GO; EITHER WALK FASTER, MOVE OUT THE WAY, OR PREPARE TO GET RAN OVER.
I Don't care how many of you there are.

KuReshtin
2011-01-31, 05:30 PM
The problem is that even if I were to give you a car, but all you'd ever used was a bicycle, you woldn't have any use of your car because you couldn't drive it. You'd have to take driving lessons, get a driver's permit, and then take the test to get your licence before you could use the car.
Same with someone who've never used Linux and don't know how it works. They'd have to get the documentation, learn the terminolgy and to find solutions to problems while installing it that they'd avoid if they'd just get an answer on how to solve their problem in Windows and they'd be back up and running again in a fraction of the time.

So, again, the advice may make sense to you, but it's totally useless for the problem at hand.

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 05:31 PM
Is it just me, or does "Ubuntu" sound like an African tribe?

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-31, 05:31 PM
I think that most of my pet peeves are things that I do. :smallredface:

Coidzor
2011-01-31, 05:39 PM

It almost rhymes with (and is only two letters different from) Bantu (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bantu), which is less a tribe and more the next step up (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bantu_peoples) from that.

'James Cameron's Avatar' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Yeah, it just annoys me how people praise them so highly, especially on their 'morals'. I don't praise people who say 'trees=good' or 'racism=bad' for being progressive.

Ah, yes, thank you for reminding me of White Guilt and the people who profit off of it.

Thufir
2011-01-31, 05:40 PM

Perhaps this would bother you less if you installed Linux. :smalltongue:
(Now you must go forth and mock someone else's pet peeve. Eventually this will come full circle when someone mocks Fift Eyed Fred's pet peeve)

I was sure I had another one to mention, but I can't think for the life of me what it was.

Thorcrest
2011-01-31, 05:53 PM
I have many, many Pet Peeves, but I'll list just a few of the bigger ones:

1) People that don't capitalize letters in words that need them when making a post online or sending me a written message, this can be through text, e-mails, etc. This also includes people's names... for the love of God a name, including usernames, is a proper noun and it should be capitalised... I'm looking at you Arguskos :smalltongue: That's right, I capitalised your a!

2) People that wear their pants below their butts!

3) Slow moving crowds that are impossible to pass.

4) People that listen to music so loudly that I can hear it... I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR CRAPPY POP/RAP MUSIC... on that note:

5) Modern Pop and Rap Musicians... why do they all sound the same with the same annoying music?

Well, that's enough for now... maybe more later... maybe not, we'll just have to see how bored I get! :smalltongue:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-31, 05:53 PM

It's a South African philosophical term, basically meaning "humanity towards others."

Personally, I found that Linux didn't really have much of a learning curve, but perhaps it's just me; as I said, it is the result of a fundamental flaw in the understanding that this is not a solution or even viable as one. Everyone gives advice others cannot follow in the fashion; for example, if I complain that I have a terrible cough, you might advise I go see a doctor.

Any work of fiction that is good for its "morality" and that alone is a waste of trees. Irony doesn't give a damn about your meaning, blah blah blah. To Kill a Mockingbird is good, otherwise, though; its characters are engagingly written and well-acted, respectively; it paints a wonderfully elegiac portrait of childhood and its fears and dreams; it paints an equally tragic portrait of adulthood and its surprisingly similar, disheveled though they may be by living, fears and dreams. It's not about racism, it's about how all the good, kind instincts in people, everything we hope to become, is gradually derailed halfway into meaningless nothingness by the cruelty and horror of a world where shooting a rabid dog is the kindest thing you could do for it.

BG
2011-01-31, 05:55 PM
My first pet peeve has to do with people coming up with complicated in-continuity explanations for things that have easy out-of-continuity answers.

First example: Klingon forehead ridges. They didn't have them in the original Star Trek series because they had a makeup budget of approximately $6. When they had a bigger budget, Klingons got forehead ridges. But no, people had to come up with an explanation why.

2nd example: Star Wars lightsaber fights. Again, people felt the need to explain why the lightsaber fights in the original trilogy weren't as acrobatic as those of the prequels, when there's a really easy explantion: hyper-kinetic fight scenes hadn't yet made it over to American cinema at that point.

My other pet peeve is people who don't like hip-hop, but like nerdcore. Trust me, a lot of actual hip-hop MCs drop all kinds of nerdy references in their stuff.

Temotei
2011-01-31, 06:00 PM

This is mine. I'm not really bothered by much, but this is definitely one of my least favorite things people do.

Then again, it's not that strange to have this pet peeve.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-31, 06:16 PM
My other pet peeve is people who don't like hip-hop, but like nerdcore. Trust me, a lot of actual hip-hop MCs drop all kinds of nerdy references in their stuff.

For example, in middle school, Wu Tang probably was something to **** with.

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 06:19 PM
"I like everything but country and rap".

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-31, 06:22 PM
people who poke my back. dont poke my back or avocado will take off his jacket. you don't want avocado to take off his jacket

Thorcrest
2011-01-31, 06:30 PM
people who poke my back. dont poke my back or avocado will take off his jacket. you don't want avocado to take off his jacket
ARRGH! This was number one on my list for a reason... I'm gonna have to go release some steam for a bit now... ARRGH!! :smalltongue:

Comet
2011-01-31, 06:38 PM
For some reason, the word pair 'pet peeve' gets to me.

The word 'pet' in there seems to carry a connotation of something precious, something to be treasured and guarded. I keep getting an image in my head, an image of a person defined by their hatred who is driven to preserve their dislike of a certain subject since that dislike is the thing that separates them from the masses on the streets.

I know the term isn't used with quite that meaning in mind, but I really can't get it out of my head. Wouldn't say I actively dislike the term, mind, but I simply find it a bit curious :smallbiggrin:

RandomNPC
2011-01-31, 06:39 PM

So often.... RAGE!

My biggest pet peeve these days is vague, passive aggressive facebook status updates.

GGGAAAAHHHHH!!!! *HEADASPLODE*

Knew I shouldn't have looked in this thread.....

I've been the primary operator on my machine at work for so long the other guys forgot how to run it. They still stop me and try to tell me how to do setups though....

TheThan
2011-01-31, 06:54 PM
I can’t stand letting telephones ring. I can’t stand it when people just let their phones ring because they simply don’t want to answer it, or are trying to avoid someone/thing. I have a friend that got stranded in the middle of nowhere when his car broke down, and this happened to him. The only person who could have helped him didn’t feel like answering his phone at that time.

I can’t stand the word Ginormous. Its cute when a five year old says it, I can imagine him/her getting enormous and gigantic confused. But when a teenager or adult says it, it just makes you look stupid and childish.

I can’t stand people calling Thanksgiving Turkey Day. If you can’t call it by its actual name, don’t call it anything.

People who mumble

People who WALK AWAY from you while talking to you. Doubly so if they’re mumbling while they’re doing it.

People who use texting to say rude things about people, to other people while the person they are talking about is in the same room.

People who say rude things about people in a foreign language to someone else while they are in the same room as the person they are talking about. (related to the above). Now I don’t have a problem with people being bi-lingual but still, using such knowledge like this is tremendously rude.

People who cut you off mid sentence, or interrupt you while your speaking. It’s a pet peeve, and one I’m guilty of, mostly due to my older brother.

mucat
2011-01-31, 06:56 PM

Now wait. I've never quite gotten this objection. Especially when the objector seems to think the person ought to have said "figuratively."

If someone says "I'm so hungry I could literally eat a horse," they didn't mean "figuratively". That word would weaken their statement, as if they were including it to reassure the listener that they couldn't really eat a horse. The listener already knows that, so no one would say "figuratively" there.

When they meant to say was "literally". They were trying to strengthen their claim, not weaken it. Of course, they're still lying, and they know that you know that. It's hyperbole. But they didn't use the wrong word; it's just that when they said "literally", they didn't mean it...well, literally.

EDIT: Wow. After reading my own rant, apparently this must be one of my pet peeves.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-31, 06:58 PM
I just remembered one. People on facebook that click on adds and then you get a fake message from them saying that you need to get a free iPhone. Are they stupid or do they not see the pattern?

mucat
2011-01-31, 07:00 PM
I can’t stand letting telephones ring. I can’t stand it when people just let their phones ring because they simply don’t want to answer it, or are trying to avoid someone/thing. I have a friend that got stranded in the middle of nowhere when his car broke down, and this happened to him. The only person who could have helped him didn’t feel like answering his phone at that time.

Are you talking only about people who let the phone ring out loud when others are around, or does it bother you if they turn off the ringer?

VioletRice
2011-01-31, 07:04 PM
Remembered another one. I can't stand it when people don't get that preferences in music, food, etc., are subjective!:smallfurious:

Temotei
2011-01-31, 07:12 PM
Remembered another one. I can't stand it when people don't get that preferences in music, food, etc., are subjective!:smallfurious:

Stepdad: I'm watching Avatar.
Me: For the six hundredth time? I'll sit this one out. That movie's overrated, besides.
Stepdad: You're weird.

I agree with him, but not because of me thinking Avatar was entertaining only on an audio-visual level.

Thufir
2011-01-31, 07:13 PM
Now wait. I've never quite gotten this objection. Especially when the objector seems to think the person ought to have said "figuratively."

If someone says "I'm so hungry I could literally eat a horse," they didn't mean "figuratively". That word would weaken their statement, as if they were including it to reassure the listener that they couldn't really eat a horse. The listener already knows that, so no one would say "figuratively" there.

When they meant to say was "literally". They were trying to strengthen their claim, not weaken it. Of course, they're still lying, and they know that you know that. It's hyperbole. But they didn't use the wrong word; it's just that when they said "literally", they didn't mean it...well, literally.

Now, that example might be considered acceptable on the grounds you mention, though personally I feel the inclusion of the word 'literally' detracts from the flow of the sentence. But in any case, the previously mentioned "She literally held her bleeding heart in her hands," is another matter. Or say, "She literally bit my head off!" "Cars were literally flying down the road."
You see, in your example the use of 'literally' is hyperbole. In these other examples it (literally) changes the meaning of the sentence.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-31, 07:22 PM
My mouth literally orgasms whenever I eat a McDonald's fry.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-31, 07:24 PM

that must get pretty messy:smallamused:

thubby
2011-01-31, 07:38 PM
People touch your glasses while you wear them?
My problem is hugging when I've got them hanging from their strap.
Scratch that, I don't like hugging at all except for a number of cases.

every girlfriend has tried at least once. not that i get mad (at them personally anyway), really, its not an unreasonable thing to do. but thats what makes it a pet peeve.

TheThan
2011-01-31, 07:40 PM
Are you talking only about people who let the phone ring out loud when others are around, or does it bother you if they turn off the ringer?

If they turn off their ringer fine, then at least I won't hear their phone ring. But when they just let it ring and ring, some times its a land line other times its a cell phone.

its still rather rude to not answer your phone when it rings. I mean there could be an emergency or something and people NEED to get a hold of you.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-31, 07:43 PM
I just remembered one. People on facebook that click on adds and then you get a fake message from them saying that you need to get a free iPhone. Are they stupid or do they not see the pattern?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/miscellanious/Justno.jpg

what the...
There's more below. She sends me two more.

Drynwyn
2011-01-31, 07:50 PM
-Being interrupted
-People who say "Swordsage'd" instead of Ninja'd
-People who pronounce a word wrong repeatedly and grossly.

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 07:54 PM
-People who pronounce a word wrong repeatedly and grossly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKQss7myeQ

-People who say "Swordsage'd" instead of Ninja'd

What is this?

ScottishDragon
2011-01-31, 07:55 PM
1.People who think because I am smart that makes me a nerd. I'm a geek! Not a nerd.

2.People who do not know how to properly pronounce Scottish names and insist on using the annoying American version.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-31, 07:56 PM
2.People who do not know how to properly pronounce Scottish names and insist on using the annoying American version.

Put your throat into it! :smallmad:

ScottishDragon
2011-01-31, 08:10 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/miscellanious/Justno.jpg

what the...
There's more below. She sends me two more.

This has happened to me on aa couple of occations. There are sooo many scams in facebooks. Wait I also thought of another pet peeve. The facebook horoscopes. They just give yuo a random thing. Maybe some horoscopes are true. But the facebook ones shure arent.

Traab
2011-01-31, 08:15 PM
As Chris Griffin would say, "I DONT LIKE TO BE TOUCHED!" When I was a kid I moved every single year. Every year id go to a new school, new people, and no friends. This didnt stop till my sophmore year of high school, and even then I went into a nursing program for my junior and senior year so I might as well have switched schools again. Over time I got used to being a loner, and im not comfortable in social situations, because as a kid, outside of that one year I was in boyscouts, ive never BEEN in any social situations. No school dances, no sleep overs, no camping trips with anyone but family, nothing. Closest ive ever gotten was working as a bouncer for a friend of mine who is a dj and runs his own parties for middle school students to dance at once a month. So I get really uncomfortable with the huggers, the shoulder grabbers, and any other touchy feely personality type.

Em Blackleaf
2011-01-31, 09:05 PM

This, and when guys say something like "I love you, man. No homo!"
That kind of thing only makes me think someone is homophobic (or at least insecure), and that's upsetting. :/

Anyone who implies I shouldn't swear so much.
Oh yes, this. Very this. I don't even swear very much, but whenever I see it, it bugs me. I guess it's just being annoyed by how easily annoyed someone is. I suppose my pet peeve is another person's pet peeve. :smalltongue:

Oh, and the word "cash" used to mean "cool". That one is actually inexplicable. Cash=Money. How did it come to mean cool? Why did it come to mean cool? Who is responsible for making that a thing? Ahhh.

Nageto004
2011-01-31, 09:14 PM
So I get really uncomfortable with the huggers, the shoulder grabbers, and any other touchy feely personality type.

I think someone needs a hug!:smalltongue:

Traab
2011-01-31, 09:34 PM
I think someone needs a hug!:smalltongue:
I stabbed a guy with a pen for trying that on me. He had a blue spot on his shoulder for weeks!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-31, 11:12 PM
People who say rude things about people in a foreign language to someone else while they are in the same room as the person they are talking about. (related to the above). Now I don’t have a problem with people being bi-lingual but still, using such knowledge like this is tremendously rude.

Oh, man, I'm definitely guilty of this. I never even really think about it.

MoonCat
2011-01-31, 11:31 PM

Oh god...
I live in a house where my parents and my brother all can speak a language I don't. My dad speaks several languages more, and is trying to get me and my mom to each learn one of them. Do you have any idea how infuriating it is to hear you birthday gifts being discussed in front of you? Or what they think about something you do? My mother is trying to do the opposite in particular. She wants me to learn Dutch so we can discuss cute boys as they walk past. :smallsigh::smallsigh::smallsigh:

Ragitsu
2011-01-31, 11:33 PM
Yep. At least have the decency to talk about someone behind their back!

TheThan
2011-02-01, 12:14 AM
Yep. At least have the decency to talk about someone behind their back!

Seriously if you’re going to be a jerk, learn how to do be decent about it.

This, and when guys say something like "I love
you, man. No homo!"
That kind of thing only makes me think someone is homophobic (or at least insecure), and that's upsetting. :/

My standard response when someone says this:
“No way buddy, you’re not getting my Bud Lite!”

ghost_warlock
2011-02-01, 01:25 AM
Oh, I don't want to talk TO you, but I want you to not talk ABOUT me like I can't hear you or I'm not there. You want to bash me? Fine. Do it out of my sight radius. Headphones don't change that. It's just rude.

I just went over this with my sister. Try looking at it this way - you're apparently interesting enough to talk about. Even more kinky, you get to eavesdrop on all the horrible little things people are saying about you. It's like getting to spy on your own funeral. :smallcool:

Sipex
2011-02-01, 09:29 AM
A lot of my pet peeves are other people's pet peeves, particularily those found in nerdy groups oddly enough.

Half because I used to be guilty of hating the same things and half because I'm guilty of performing some of those things.

Marillion
2011-02-01, 12:13 PM
People who use ellipses instead of commas or *gasp* proper sentence structure.

arguskos
2011-02-01, 12:53 PM

Ellipses have uses. They're worth using in many situations. Over-use of ellipses is a sin though, and will cause the user to be committed to the lowest level of grammatical hell.

I just went over this with my sister. Try looking at it this way - you're apparently interesting enough to talk about. Even more kinky, you get to eavesdrop on all the horrible little things people are saying about you. It's like getting to spy on your own funeral. :smallcool:
Curious. Even when they're smack-talking you? Can't say I agree fully, but it's an interesting perspective.

Mecharious
2011-02-01, 01:14 PM
"Um" and "Like"

Ever since a teacher pointed out how much we all used the world "like" I've been counting out how many times people say it. It borders the ridiculous. I don't hear "um" as much, but it annoys me when I hear it used excessively. This one girl I know literally once had a sentence with an "um" separating every word; it drove me crazy.

When I started noticing people doing this, it was all I could start noticing about them. Truly a glass-shattering moment.

Velaryon
2011-02-01, 01:45 PM
For some reason, the word pair 'pet peeve' gets to me.

The word 'pet' in there seems to carry a connotation of something precious, something to be treasured and guarded. I keep getting an image in my head, an image of a person defined by their hatred who is driven to preserve their dislike of a certain subject since that dislike is the thing that separates them from the masses on the streets.

I know the term isn't used with quite that meaning in mind, but I really can't get it out of my head. Wouldn't say I actively dislike the term, mind, but I simply find it a bit curious :smallbiggrin:

I am reminded of a book I read in junior high (sadly I don't remember the name), in which the main character ended up adopting a little creature she ran into called a Peeve. So she literally had a pet Peeve.

Random anecdote alert: the librarian saw me reading this book, whatever it was, and suggested that I might like The Sword of Shannara. I read it, enjoyed it, and it became my gateway to all things fantasy. So this book with the pet Peeve in it is ultimately the reason I play D&D, discovered OotS, and am on this forum. :smallsmile: Now I really wish I remembered what the book was called.

Anyway, my single biggest pet peeve is having to repeat myself. Just drives me crazy. But that's not really that strange.

A few of my other peeves:

-People who tip poorly (or not at all).
-People who come to a complete stop before going over a smooth railroad crossing.
-People who make up new words when there are already existing words that mean the same thing.
-People who act like their opinion = fact.

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-01, 01:49 PM
"Um" and "Like"

Ever since a teacher pointed out how much we all used the world "like" I've been counting out how many times people say it. It borders the ridiculous. I don't hear "um" as much, but it annoys me when I hear it used excessively. This one girl I know literally once had a sentence with an "um" separating every word; it drove me crazy.

When I started noticing people doing this, it was all I could start noticing about them. Truly a glass-shattering moment.

They are called Filler. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics))

Coidzor
2011-02-01, 01:51 PM

Ew.

Still less fun than doing something nasty to one's own funeral, like trapping the attendees in the area while the dead rise as zombies to feast upon the living.

:smallyuk: Was just reminded of this one. People who can't stop emoting all over the place and actually speak directly to you when they're ostensibly participating in a discussion. Like they haven't realized that not all of the forum is devoted to free form role play.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-01, 02:09 PM
-People who tip poorly (or not at all).

In America or just in general? Because there's a difference there, American restaurants can pay below minimum wage and have the rest be paid by tips but European minimum wage is minimum wage and there's no way to get out of paying anyone less here.

Goes well with having to pay 102% of it in taxes. :smalltongue:

On another note, I too dislike people thinking their opinion is fact (I at least try to argue when I think I'm right) especially when earlier today my Danish teacher told a student his interpretation of a short-story was wrong because she is smarter and a teacher.

Since when does being a teacher make you able to read the mind of a dead author? :smallannoyed:

Granted, it would be cool but still. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2011-02-01, 02:44 PM
I'd think you'd be for the preservation of good capitalization, grammar, and punctuation. Unless it's a life-or-death situation/a genuine hurry, why not try to be as correct as possible?

If it would save the message from becoming two messages that must be read individually, I have no problems with a couple abbreviations. Seriously, if you want to write a novel, send me an email. There's like, no character limits in email. Or just break the text message into complete thoughts that are each at or under 160 characters. I HATE HATE HATE picking up mid word or mid sentance from one message to the next. Especially when its for 5 freakin letters...GRRRR!!!!

Moonshadow
2011-02-02, 03:58 AM
I get really annoyed when people mix up the cutlery when they wash it. It just really really bugs me.

Jallorn
2011-02-02, 04:17 AM
Most of mine have to do with my mother.

Like how she leaves the radio on when she leaves the kitchen... and I'm in the next room while she goes out on the porch.

More generally though, I find sentences ending with prepositions grating much of the time, mostly because of SG-1, "You ended a sentence with a preposition, you bastard!"

Oh, people who can't enunciate. And to a lesser degree (because they don't really have control over it) people who have a shaky voice. There's a girl in my class, she's great really, smart, sexy, funny, but she has this quality to her voice that sounds like she never takes big enough breaths. Mostly it's okay, but when she's doing a speech, for some reason it really irritates me.

This is a recent one, but people who make loud comments throughout what is supposed to be a thought provoking whatever. Really, I only have this one experience to draw on, but we were watching a film about No-Impact-Man, and several of my classmates kept making dismissive comments that distracted me, and made it clear that they had missed the point of the video.

I could come up with more, but I don't really dwell on my pet peeves too much these days, more because I've kinda stopped caring about the way the people around me act for the most part.

Wait, I've got one more. When people can't walk in a way that allows others to get by them. Or when they stand in a hallway so that no one can pass, or so only one person at a time can when there are people going both ways, and they don't even consider moving out of the way. With regards to the first part, I'm referring to people who walk on the left* side of a hallway, or use the left* door of double doors when people are going both ways, simply because they need to walk next to their friend to talk about something that could probably wait a few minutes.

*Here in America, we drive on the right, and are supposed to walk on the right. However, it seems vast quantities of people have failed to realize this.

Ragitsu
2011-02-02, 07:37 AM
"They are family, and family is automatically worthy of respect".

Boci
2011-02-02, 11:11 AM
People who tell me not to swear, when I have just sworn. I know that's the time you're most likely to remember the issue, but I just swore because I was angry, so complaining about my behavior will most likely not get a reasonable response. Just ask me to tone down my language some other time.

People who say "I hate it when others complain about me behind my back" only to get stroppy when I complain to their face.

People who write perfectly normal pet peeves in a thread requesting strange ones...oh, wait

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 11:49 AM
Nerds who refer to people who generally aren't as 'mundanes.':smallannoyed:
I can't precisely articulate why that bugs me, but it does.

Sipex
2011-02-02, 12:49 PM
Nerds who refer to people who generally aren't as 'mundanes.':smallannoyed:
I can't precisely articulate why that bugs me, but it does.

There are a lot of reasons why that should irk you.

I've never heard any of my fellow nerds say that but if they did I'd give them a smack.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 01:03 PM
There are a lot of reasons why that should irk you.

I've never heard any of my fellow nerds say that but if they did I'd give them a smack.
To be fair, I have not heard it in real life, but more in media by geeks for geeks, like the webcomic Weregeek.
Its one thing to glory in your nerdiness, which I do, it is another to act like it makes you something special.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-02, 01:27 PM
Oh, people who can't enunciate.

God, I am insufferable.

Partof1
2011-02-02, 06:10 PM
Well, less a pet peeve than a loathing: arrogance. I know I'm guilty of this at times too, but I try to leash it a bit. I had a teacher that was arrogant beyond all belief, to the point where she all but requested worship for giving us a study guide forsomething or other.

Many of my other pet peeves are branches of this, like my friends' insistence on playing music I dislike (unnecessarily loudly) when there are bands we all parties enjoy, for example.

And I dislike when I'm writing notes or something and run out of page two words before the end of the last line, forcing writing on the back, or a seperate sheet or in the space underneath.

Ragitsu
2011-02-02, 06:19 PM
People that say bullying should be allowed, because it will teach others a "lesson".

OverThoughtName
2011-02-02, 07:14 PM
Waiters that assume tips are mandatory. I make a point of giving a low tip of 15% for poor service, that does not mean you get to keep the change unless I say you can. In fact, that is the only way to not be tipped for your service.

People that start pointing out green things when I tell them I'm green color-blind. Yes, I know it's green. I'm color-blind, not stupid.

Coidzor
2011-02-02, 07:37 PM
Oh yeah, that there's no standard tip anymore, that's kind of annoying.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-02-02, 07:51 PM
I have identified a pet peeve, with RB's help:

My surname should be so utterly easy to spell since it's a very common English word spelt phonetically, but no, due to the comparative rarity of the surname I find myself lumped in with vaguely similar names. It's as if when someone asked me my name, they didn't take the trouble to listen, because an -ing sound is rather patently different in pronunciation from an -er sound.

Actually, that's my pet peeve. I shall quote this post over there.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-02, 08:07 PM
For some reason I hate when people walk behind me. If they're withing about five feet I can't help but shiver. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid...

CrimsonAngel
2011-02-02, 08:53 PM
People that say bullying should be allowed, because it will teach others a "lesson".

Oh god so many times yes. :smallannoyed:

Heliomance
2011-02-02, 09:03 PM
The word "probs" and all related constructions, such as "totes", "blates", and so forth. THEY'RE NOT WORDS, DAMMIT!

More generally though, I find sentences ending with prepositions grating much of the time, mostly because of SG-1, "You ended a sentence with a preposition, you bastard!"
"This is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."
-W. Churchill

Partof1
2011-02-02, 10:14 PM
Oh! I remembered another of mine:
Peope touching my head and or face. This has only recently shown up, when wrestling my brother, and I realize I do not like it.

RandomNPC
2011-02-02, 10:22 PM
Lately I've been going down the hallway at home to take phone calls. My bedroom is quieter than a living room with a 5 year old who's got legos.

My pet peeve?
My wife comes down and hugs me untill she can make out the voice of the caller.
My son follows her in shortly after and starts asking questions.
Then I get accused of sneaking off for secret phone calls.

arguskos
2011-02-02, 10:23 PM
Waiters that assume tips are mandatory. I make a point of giving a low tip of 15% for poor service, that does not mean you get to keep the change unless I say you can. In fact, that is the only way to not be tipped for your service.
You take my change, you get yelled at. It is MY prerogative on how much you get tipped. If you take it upon yourself to determine my tips for me, and you're not paying for me, then you can **** off. Very little angers me as much as people who assume certain things in the arena of tips. :smallmad:

So, basically, I agree with you. Though, you're far more generous with your low tipping than I am, mostly cause I'm poor. :smallsigh:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-02, 10:57 PM
The word "probs" and all related constructions, such as "totes", "blates", and so forth. THEY'RE NOT WORDS, DAMMIT![/i]

I'm sorry, I just giggled when I read the wording.

Do people really say "blates," though?

rayne_dragon
2011-02-02, 11:04 PM

I hope not!

This reminds me of some pet peeves of mine that aren't strange by themselves, but together are a bit odd:

1. People using the word "irregardless"
2. Also: people who tell me irregardless isn't a word
3. Grammar/Spelling Nazis
4. Noticably bad spelling and grammar
5. Excessive slang

Heliomance
2011-02-03, 05:21 AM

Shush ¬_¬

And yes, yes they do. In Rngland, anyway.
Especially my sisters, as they know it annoys me >_<

Thufir
2011-02-03, 05:44 AM

15% is low to you? :smallconfused:
I'm iffy on the whole concept of tipping in general, to be honest.

The word "probs" and all related constructions, such as "totes", "blates", and so forth. THEY'RE NOT WORDS, DAMMIT!

Some of my friends would annoy the hell out of you.

Also, you reminded me of another pet peeve: Arbitrary contrariness/pedantry (That's the best phrase I can come up with for it). This is rather strange given that I myself am rather contrary and pedantic, but I'm talking about a very specific thing.
By which I mean, for example, 'dammit'. Separately, those words are spelt 'damn it', so why does that m suddenly become an n just because it's being written as one word?
Similarly, the scientific definition of 'berry', which fits hardly any fruits with names containing the word 'berry'. I'm pretty confident those fruit names will have predated the scientific definition by a long way, so why then define it so? If you need a precise definition of 'berry', come up with one that includes fruits which are called x-berry. If you need a word to fit this definition, pick one that makes more sense.
There are other examples. My point is that this contrariness is, as I said, completely arbitrary - the only apparent purpose is to allow people who know these things to be arbitrarily pedantic, and go "WRONG! Strawberries aren't actually berries! Doh ho ho ho ho, fancy you not knowing that!" :smallfurious:

Teddy
2011-02-03, 07:58 AM
My main pet peeve is when littlest brother tries to get my attention by repeatedly shouting my name until I answer. Especially if I'm in the same room. I can hear you perfectly well, you know. If I don't give a response, I'm usually not interested enough in what you're asking me (which most certainly is going to be pretty irrelevant anyway).

Also, people who refuse to acknowledge that they might be wrong. Especially those who can't even keep up a civil discussion but use insults and/or personal attacks when their arguments won't hold any longer, or those who seem to believe that enough repetition of any argument will make it true, no matter how evidence there is in support of the opposite.

Also, people who spell/pronounciate "korrugerad" ('corrugated') as "korrigerad" (which translates into 'corrected').

People who cut you off mid sentence, or interrupt you while your speaking. It’s a pet peeve, and one I’m guilty of, mostly due to my older brother.

I make myself guilty of this whenever I get into a discussion, mostly because I've already understood the point you were making and want to adress it as soon as possible. However, this won't stop me from going greath lengths trying to explain every single detail leading up to an event/conclusion even when it isn't necessary, but I've found that I otherwise explain to little for other people to follow (even for my teachers who are supposed to know the subject at hand)

Goes well with having to pay 102% of it in taxes. :smalltongue:

Is this a reference to Astrid Lindgren, or did you Danes have your own case of this? This said, there is no country in the world that has a tax rate that high any longer, and even then it was sort of a special case (including some guy who thought that an exponentially scaling tax was a really hot idea).

Wait, I've got one more. When people can't walk in a way that allows others to get by them. Or when they stand in a hallway so that no one can pass, or so only one person at a time can when there are people going both ways, and they don't even consider moving out of the way. With regards to the first part, I'm referring to people who walk on the left* side of a hallway, or use the left* door of double doors when people are going both ways, simply because they need to walk next to their friend to talk about something that could probably wait a few minutes.

*Here in America, we drive on the right, and are supposed to walk on the right. However, it seems vast quantities of people have failed to realize this.

Here in Sweden, we drive on the right, bike on the right and are supposed to walk on the left. Naturally, people insist on walking on the right side, and preferably almost in the middle if it's a shared pedestrian and cyclist road. Also, cyclists seem to love to bike in the wrong direction when there's a cyclist lane on either side of the street.

And I dislike when I'm writing notes or something and run out of page two words before the end of the last line, forcing writing on the back, or a seperate sheet or in the space underneath.

Heh, Swedish journalists have a word for that: "horunge", which literally translates into "son of a whore". I have found this use of the word amusing to bring up around people who aren't fully aware of how it can be used. :smallamused:

"This is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."
-W. Churchill

Was there anything Churchill didn't say? :smallwink:

By which I mean, for example, 'dammit'. Separately, those words are spelt 'damn it', so why does that m suddenly become an n just because it's being written as one word?

Try pronounciating 'damn it' as one word, and you'll see why it's spelled with two m's.

Also, I think you got something the wrong way around...

Similarly, the scientific definition of 'berry', which fits hardly any fruits with names containing the word 'berry'. I'm pretty confident those fruit names will have predated the scientific definition by a long way, so why then define it so? If you need a precise definition of 'berry', come up with one that includes fruits which are called x-berry. If you need a word to fit this definition, pick one that makes more sense.
There are other examples. My point is that this contrariness is, as I said, completely arbitrary - the only apparent purpose is to allow people who know these things to be arbitrarily pedantic, and go "WRONG! Strawberries aren't actually berries! Doh ho ho ho ho, fancy you not knowing that!" :smallfurious:

To be fair, the same doesn't apply to all languages. Compared to Swedish, English seems to be very happy to tag the word 'berry' to the name of any and all fruits it comes across (yes, I'm exaggerating). In Swedish, almost every fruit with 'berry' in its name is actually a berry.

Asta Kask
2011-02-03, 08:12 AM
I hope not!

This reminds me of some pet peeves of mine that aren't strange by themselves, but together are a bit odd:

1. People using the word "irregardless"
2. Also: people who tell me irregardless isn't a word
3. Grammar/Spelling Nazis
4. Noticably bad spelling and grammar
5. Excessive slang

So... irregardless is a word, but it shouldn't be used? Should we get the FCC to include in the words you can't say on TV? :smallbiggrin:

Watcher
2011-02-03, 08:22 AM
People who, when they hear a joke, immediately repeat the punchline and laugh in the most annoying way possible. When people like this are around me, there is no deliberate humor that I can possibly enjoy.

People who wear clothing that calls attention to a specific part of their body and complain when people only look at the area involved. Especially bad if it's their face.

People who shout when you're less than 10 feet from them.

When people try to make their laugh sound evil but it just makes them sound mentally ill instead.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-03, 09:16 AM

That's for the same reason that a mandrake is a plant and not a proto-human, I presume.

People were wrong about the nature of them when naming them, we call Belemnite fossils "Vættelys" (roughly: Spirit candle) for example.

Is this a reference to Astrid Lindgren, or did you Danes have your own case of this? This said, there is no country in the world that has a tax rate that high any longer, and even then it was sort of a special case (including some guy who thought that an exponentially scaling tax was a really hot idea).

Nope, not aware she wrote about taxes.

Nobody ever had 102% taxes, silly. That's mean you'd lose more money than you earn. :smalltongue:

We do have about 25% tax rates in Denmark but I have no idea if that's high for Europe. ^.^'

Mauve Shirt
2011-02-03, 09:26 AM
Touching my hair. Only certain people are allowed to mess with my hair.
Making stupid cat noises at my door instead of knocking, and meowing instead of entering when I give permission to come in.

I drew a cartoon about the definition of berries
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs44/i/2009/116/6/9/Berry_Outrage_by_EvilELQ.png

Thufir
2011-02-03, 09:31 AM
Try pronouncing 'damn it' as one word, and you'll see why it's spelled with two m's.

Also, I think you got something the wrong way around...

Yes, I did. But no, pronouncing 'damn it' as one word is just like pronouncing it as two words, but without the gap in the middle. It doesn't make the m sound any more m-like. Either damn should be damm, or dammit should be damnit. Personally I tend towards the latter.

To be fair, the same doesn't apply to all languages. Compared to Swedish, English seems to be very happy to tag the word 'berry' to the name of any and all fruits it comes across (yes, I'm exaggerating). In Swedish, almost every fruit with 'berry' in its name is actually a berry.

Well, I can't comment on other languages since I don't speak them, but in English it makes no sense.

For an entirely unambiguous further example: Stonehenge is not a henge. Despite the fact the word henge was taken from the name 'Stonehenge'.

KuReshtin
2011-02-03, 09:37 AM

Nobody ever had 102% taxes, silly. That's mean you'd lose more money than you earn. :smalltongue:

We do have about 25% tax rates in Denmark but I have no idea if that's high for Europe. ^.^'

Astrid Lindgren didn't write about taxes, but she did have to pay over 100% tax at one point.

Edit: Apparently, the story of Pomperipossa was a story she wrote as a reaction to her finding out that she had, in deed, been taxed 102% of her income due to a quirk in the marginal tax of Sweden at the time.
Some say that the story caused the gov{subject not allowed by board rules. I will go back to my fun.}

truemane
2011-02-03, 10:07 AM
Well, I've been a server, off-and-on, for over 15 years and the preceding rants on tipping reminded me that I have a whole list of pet peeves related to people being inconsiderate in restaurants. But most of them are too niche to explain with any facility.

So I'll stick with the real world ones:

1. Eating with your mouth open. GAH! I can't understand how anyone thinks this is okay. I see that and I think 'mother brought you up wrong' and I find it hard to take anything you say seriously. I mean, really, if you can't work out on your own that seeing partially masticated food is gross, how smart can you possibly be?

2. Using apostrophe's to denote plural's. I know, I know, languages change, that's what they do and I know that yesterday's formal rules are today's archaic relics, but it drives me crazy all the same.

3. People who yell and scream to get what they want in restaurant and/or retail stores, often in direct defiance of policy and/or common sense and decency. I know you do it because it works, I get that, but are we all five year olds? Just because mommy gives cookies when you cry doesn't mean you have to cry every time someone refuses to give you a cookie.

4. People who refuse to admit that downloading movies illegally is stealing. Or try to justify it with the standard array of weak and poorly conceived excuses (movie stars make enough money, theatres are too expensive, I wouldn't go see it anyway), when the real reason is that's it's free and there's no chance you'll get caught. Which brings us back to acting like five year olds. Note that the downloading itself isn't my peeve, that's between you and your conscience. It's the hypocrisy and the shallow evasion of responsibility.

5. The modern conviction that men need to be responsible for putting the toilet seat down. You want it down? Put it down. You say it looks better? I disagree. You say you get up and night and fall in? Fine. But then I'm allowed to get up at night and pee on the seat. If you don't have to look, I don't have to look. Same rules for everyone.

Other than that.... I'm good. :smallsmile:

Boci
2011-02-03, 10:56 AM
People at the checkout who put my change on the till, then wait for me to leave, hoping I won’t notice they didn’t give it to me, then when reminded apologize, claiming to have forgotten about it. I don't have that problem here, but it was quite a problem in Hungary. I would say it’s a relic of a former governing system, but it seemed to be more common amongst the younger employees.

Coplantor
2011-02-03, 12:54 PM
I cannot touch mayonese or ketchup, not even the pack/bottle/jar, If I must, I try to have the least possible contact with it (even the pack/bottle/jar) and then I go wash my hands.

I know it´s all in my head, bu I feel weird touching it.

Thorcrest
2011-02-03, 01:34 PM
1. Eating with your mouth open. GAH! I can't understand how anyone thinks this is okay. I see that and I think 'mother brought you up wrong' and I find it hard to take anything you say seriously. I mean, really, if you can't work out on your own that seeing partially masticated food is gross, how smart can you possibly be?

Well, not closing your mouth isn't an indication of intelligence... it might be that some of them cannot properly close their mouths due to an ailment... then again, some just stuff too much food in their mouths, I'm guilty of this if I'm starving :smallredface:, and others do it to be annoying! Those people should be smacked... hard!

3. People who yell and scream to get what they want in restaurant and/or retail stores, often in direct defiance of policy and/or common sense and decency. I know you do it because it works, I get that, but are we all five year olds? Just because mommy gives cookies when you cry doesn't mean you have to cry every time someone refuses to give you a cookie.

I don't know if that counts as a pet peeve or just a common human belief... either way, people that do this are obnoxious!

4. People who refuse to admit that downloading movies illegally is stealing. Or try to justify it with the standard array of weak and poorly conceived excuses (movie stars make enough money, theatres are too expensive, I wouldn't go see it anyway), when the real reason is that's it's free and there's no chance you'll get caught. Which brings us back to acting like five year olds. Note that the downloading itself isn't my peeve, that's between you and your conscience. It's the hypocrisy and the shallow evasion of responsibility.

This, so much this! I don't care if you download, I have when the product is no longer in production and I can't find it for a reasonable price, but at least admit you are stealing! If I can, you can too!

5. The modern conviction that men need to be responsible for putting the toilet seat down. You want it down? Put it down. You say it looks better? I disagree. You say you get up and night and fall in? Fine. But then I'm allowed to get up at night and pee on the seat. If you don't have to look, I don't have to look. Same rules for everyone.

Yes, I do find this a bit silly, but it doesn't bother me. In my family, there are three men, including myself, and two women. They, of course, insist the seat be kept down, and it never happens, so I came up with a seperate solution: I just close the lid entirely, now everyone is inconveinienced! :smalltongue: Besides, closing the lid before flushing is far more sanitary... it's actually gotten to the point where I can't stand seeing the inside of a toilet bowl when I enter a bathroom, I won't berate you for it, but it bothers me... so, I guess I have a leaving the toilet lid up pet-peeve! :smalltongue:

I really hate restaurants that demand a minimum tip from cutomers, going so far as to put it on the bill and have customers arrested for not paying, it was in the news, I don't feel like looking it up. If your service was terrible, I will tip accordingly, i.e. a penny, and if it was great I will tip more, generally 15%-20%... so to whoever it was that said they tip 15% if service was poor, you are likely the most generous tipper I have ever met! Generally the standard was average is around 10%-15% where I'm from. Most people I know are poor tippers, which bugs me, but most people I know are poor students, so I understand their reluctance to tip highly... then again sometimes they say: "I am too poor to tip" and that infuriates me! :smallfurious:

Keld Denar
2011-02-03, 01:36 PM
I cannot touch mayonese or ketchup, not even the pack/bottle/jar, If I must, I try to have the least possible contact with it (even the pack/bottle/jar) and then I go wash my hands.

A wild Coplantor appears!
Keld uses Ketchup Spray.
Its super effective!

EDIT:

I really hate restaurants that demand a minimum tip from cutomers, going so far as to put it on the bill and have customers arrested for not paying
I go to a lot of restraunts with fairly large groups. Most places in Seattle put a 16-20% gratuity on your bill automatically for tables larger than 6-8. I guess this helps reward the servers for large tables, but for me, this actually takes money away from the server. I don't really feel like adding on the 2% or so, so I just leave the 18% since the math is already done for me. Normally I tip 20% rounded up to the nearest whole dollar, which often comes out to 22-23%. Thats close to 5% that the server isn't getting due to their funny rules, but I guess that probably evens out with the knobs who only tip 10% or so.

truemane
2011-02-03, 01:55 PM
I go to a lot of restraunts with fairly large groups. Most places in Seattle put a 16-20% gratuity on your bill automatically for tables larger than 6-8.

You're also more likely to see auto-gratuities in very high-end restaurants and in predominantly tourist areas.

It doesn't reward servers necessarily, it protects them. The thing to remember about restauranting is that, when it's busy, both time and space are worth money. If you and your buddy sit and have dinner, spend $100, and then sit over coffee for two hours, you've cost the server his next turn on that table. So even when you tip your 20% (if you're nice), he would have been better off if you'd tipped 12% and left earlier. Which is why servers roll their eyes at large groups of females, who tend to stay and chat far far far longer than their male counterparts.

Same with space. You only get between 8 and 15 seats (3 to five tables, depending on a number of factors). So if you're a party of 8, you're most of the people that server is going to serve while you're there. So all his eggs are in the one basket. If you don't tip him well, it's like he got stiffed by three or four tables in a row. This is compounded by the fact that it's easier to turn 15% of $100 into 20% by being good at what you do than it is to turn 15% of $400 into 20%. The larger the figures get, the less wiggle room there is. Also also, people are more likely to get sticker shock on the tip on a large bill ("$60! For what? Two hours work? What's THAT all about?") and arbitrarily adjust it down to something that 'makes sense' than they are for a smaller bill.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-03, 02:20 PM
Shush ¬_¬

And yes, yes they do. In Rngland, anyway.
Especially my sisters, as they know it annoys me >_<

That's ridiculous. I always feel this kind of mono no aware awe at the changes in slang/languages.

Weimann
2011-02-03, 04:37 PM
Pet peeves:

Cars that rev their engines as I walk by. Sudden loud noises shock the hell out of me. Seriously, cut that out.

Related, web banners that automatically play sounds. Not shocking, but you normally can't turn it off but have to go to another page, close the page or turn your speakers off. That's really annoying, particularly if the noise is loud, repetitive or of bad quality.

Jokes about bodily functions. What am I, 4?

Fiction that imposes some kind of objective emotional band between some people. Such as "love at first sight" or "real parents". Okay, you could conceivably fall in love (as opposed to just finding a person really attractive) at your first glance of said person, but I find that to be a bit creepy, to be honest.

Delwugor
2011-02-03, 05:30 PM
People asking what my pet peeves are. :smallbiggrin:

People not recognizing when a stranger is polite to them - like holding a door and so forth.
People getting on an elevator before others can get off.
Big people who don't pay attention to who/what is around them, especially us smaller people.
Getting cut off while driving and then the person slows down.

Gaelbert
2011-02-03, 05:59 PM

Now see, these rules change. I believe pedestrians are supposed to walk on the left side of the sidewalk, as they can see the oncoming traffic and bikes. And on escalators, people stand on the right and walk on the left. In other situations however, it can be reversed.

Phones ringing. Especially my own. I hate phones. I have one, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Suburbs. I have an irrational hatred of suburbs. Anytime I have to get near one it ruins my day. I have some reasons, but I'm pretty sure I developed those to make sense of my preexisting loathing.

Mecharious
2011-02-03, 06:06 PM
People not recognizing when a stranger is polite to them - like holding a door and so forth.

Oh, that reminded me of one! People opening the door for me when I'm not in any condition that would make it difficult for me. I know they mean well, but sometimes it makes me feel a bit insulted :smallconfused:

Astrella
2011-02-03, 06:19 PM

This is probably the one thing that I just can't handle. Even worse is people talking with their mouth full. (Which if your lucky, results only in chewy noises, and not tiny bits of food being sprayed across the table.)

Teddy
2011-02-04, 09:31 AM

What Ku said. Astrid Lindgren noticed just as well as you that earning money suddenly was a bad idea. :smallamused:

Also, I'm fairly sure that you have a higher tax rate than that, as you, since just a few years back, do have a higher tax rate than us Swedes, which, incidentially, makes your taxes the highest taxes in the world. Yes, that's high for Europe. :smallwink:

(Disclaimer: I do not intend to start a politics discusion and will leave it at mentioning these few things.)

Mina Kobold
2011-02-04, 10:20 AM
What Ku said. Astrid Lindgren noticed just as well as you that earning money suddenly was a bad idea. :smallamused:

Also, I'm fairly sure that you have a higher tax rate than that, as you, since just a few years back, do have a higher tax rate than us Swedes, which, incidentially, makes your taxes the highest taxes in the world. Yes, that's high for Europe. :smallwink:

(Disclaimer: I do not intend to start a politics discusion and will leave it at mentioning these few things.)

Yeah, seems our taxes vary.

The most you can have is 51% apparently, in income taxes.

Yay! *Likes taxes*

I remembered another pet peeve, saying only x group can celebrate y holiday because it's from their religion/society/spaceship.

I can celebrate whatever I want whenever I want and call it what I want, so why tell me I can't celebrate finding a penny on St. Patrick's Day? :smalltongue:

Gravitron5000
2011-02-04, 05:02 PM

That touches on a pet peeve of mine. It's not stealing. It's copyright infringement, and it's wrong, but it's not stealing.

Also, people that let their mouth hang open bugs me. Other than that it makes people look like they have turned their brain off, I'm not sure why it bugs me so much.

Weimann
2011-02-04, 06:06 PM
That touches on a pet peeve of mine. It's not stealing. It's copyright infringement, and it's wrong, but it's not stealing.Ah yes, that reminded me. I also get peeved at this; what is stealing and what is not is carefully regulated by law. Illegal downloading is a crime, but that crime is copyright infringement, not stealing. Some people may consider it morally equivalent to stealing, though.

snoopy13a
2011-02-04, 07:46 PM
I go to a lot of restraunts with fairly large groups. Most places in Seattle put a 16-20% gratuity on your bill automatically for tables larger than 6-8. I guess this helps reward the servers for large tables, but for me, this actually takes money away from the server. I don't really feel like adding on the 2% or so, so I just leave the 18% since the math is already done for me. Normally I tip 20% rounded up to the nearest whole dollar, which often comes out to 22-23%. Thats close to 5% that the server isn't getting due to their funny rules, but I guess that probably evens out with the knobs who only tip 10% or so.

I usually tip 20% rounded up also (unless the service is very poor).

I think the reason for an automatic gratuitity is that the large groups are running up very large bills. An eight person group at a moderately priced place that orders a few drinks can run up a $250 tab (if it is an expensive steakhouse then it could run up to $1000). What the restuarant is trying to prevent is the party leaving a $10 tip.

It is funny how the expected tip has increased though. It used to be that 10% was for average service and 15% was for good service. Now it seems that 15% is for average service, 10% for poor, and 20% for good. The restuarants themselves usually set 18% as the automatic gratutity.

truemane
2011-02-04, 09:27 PM
That touches on a pet peeve of mine. It's not stealing. It's copyright infringement, and it's wrong, but it's not stealing.

Distinction acknolwedged. I was referring to the moral act, though, not the specific crime. I would consider all copyright infringement to be "stealing."

Heliomance
2011-02-04, 10:22 PM
UK Restaurants generally default to a 10% service charge as an itemised part of the bill. Tipping is far less expected.

RandomNPC
2011-02-04, 10:32 PM
I found an old card with "Tips for politeness" on it. Turns out it was so old everything on it is considered rude now. All I remember is how great it said your service has to be before you should give something as large as a 10% tip....

Mina Kobold
2011-02-05, 05:11 AM

Also, people that let their mouth hang open bugs me. Other than that it makes people look like they have turned their brain off, I'm not sure why it bugs me so much.

This may just be my naivety but wouldn't taking data without paying or getting the aprroval of the owner be stealing the data?

It may not be classified under the law as stealing but I have heard people calling murder "theft of life" so... ^.^'

Boci
2011-02-05, 07:07 AM
This may just be my naivety but wouldn't taking data without paying or getting the aprroval of the owner be stealing the data?

It may not be classified under the law as stealing but I have heard people calling murder "theft of life" so... ^.^'

The distinction is that the original owner hasn’t lost anything tey formerly owned, which would not be the case if the crime were murder or theft. There’s a reason it was called espionage/spying and not theft of state secrets after all.

Runestar
2011-02-05, 07:26 AM
People who, when placing orders at food outlets, just name the dish and expect the cashier to mindread and know whether they are taking away, or any special orders. Then when the food comes, the customers start kicking up a fuss about the dish not packed to go, not enough chilli, why were the beansprouts not removed etc. Or the cashier has to check one by one.

Why can't they just clarify all this upfront and save all the hassle? :smallmad:

FlashRah
2011-02-05, 07:26 AM
People who have (what I deem to be) a poor taste in music get on my nerves.

Bonus points if they disregard the good music due to reasons such as "It's old" "It's rap" or other such cop-outs.

LordShotGun
2011-02-05, 07:53 AM
Most of these don't sound that strange but are still fun to hear about.

My personal peeve is that NO ONE can touch my nipples

My exgirlfriend tried once and I really had to restrain myself. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it has set me off violently several times before. Now I warn all my dates if we ever get anywhere near that "base" http://xkcd.com/540/.

Also, I second/third/forth on the statement of understanding is NOT agreement.

Asta Kask
2011-02-05, 08:11 AM
Spelling and grammar mistakes. Which is really unnecessary and I try to keep it in, but still...

Thufir
2011-02-05, 09:07 AM
UK Restaurants generally default to a 10% service charge as an itemised part of the bill. Tipping is far less expected.

No they don't.
A few do, but most don't, and the 10% tip is just figured out by the diners.

People who, when placing orders at food outlets, just name the dish and expect the cashier to mindread and know whether they are taking away, or any special orders. Then when the food comes, the customers start kicking up a fuss about the dish not packed to go, not enough chilli, why were the beansprouts not removed etc. Or the cashier has to check one by one.

Why can't they just clarify all this upfront and save all the hassle? :smallmad:

If it's a question of eat in/take away, I would expect the cashier to ask. Everything else is up to the customer.

Asta Kask
2011-02-05, 09:28 AM
Also, people who insist that language should remain unchanged, frozen in time...

Look it meant that back then, doesn't mean it means it now.

Skeppio
2011-02-05, 09:40 AM
Also, people who insist that language should remain unchanged, frozen in time...

Look it meant that back then, doesn't mean it means it now.

Definitely agree with this. News flash people! Language.....evolves! How utterly shocking, right? :smallannoyed:

Androgeus
2011-02-05, 12:40 PM
When people steal my hat and put it on backwards, so much so that I get it off them to put it back on them the right way round. I don't think they mean to put it on backwards, more that I'm the only one who realises.

People using 8 for ait/ate. I don't know why, maybe because I just like misunderstanding people when they say w8 (going with weight instead wait)

TheThan
2011-02-05, 12:54 PM
You know those safety seals they put on the inside of containers of food? Well I have to take them completely off. I can’t stand it when someone leaves a small portion of those things on the rim of the container. I just…. Dunno I just have to take it off.

Shpadoinkle
2011-02-05, 01:28 PM
I hate hearing people cough. It drives me absolutely bonkers because it's a loud, jarring noise that I find impossible to ignore. This is by far the thing that bothers me most.

I hate being touched. I get anxious in crowds because people brushing up against me is unavoidable. Whenever somebody brushes against me, I get the same kind of feeling you get when a fly lands on your arm and walks around. You know, that kind of tickley feeling? To me it's like that, except I get it all over my body. It has, on some occasions, been so bad it made me want to cry. Just the thought of having to be in a large crowd can make me anxious and short of breath.

I also hate repeating myself because it makes me feel like the the person I'm speaking to isn't listening to me, and having to ask somebody else to repeat something they just said.

People getting you're/your mixed up is almost as bad as there/their/they're. It instantly makes me think of the person as a moron and I have a very difficult time taking them seriously.

I also do my best to have nothing to do with people whose screen names reference genitalia. Not that I find it offensive, but that I find it enormously stupid and immature, and, again, it makes me think of the person as a moron.

At the game table, I hate getting off topic. You can sit around and talk about irrelevant crap any day of the week, but this is the time we've set aside to play D&D, so can we get back to that now, please?

togapika
2011-02-05, 01:38 PM
People who snap/pop their gum really loudly

Also my biggest one, which mostly applies to WoW:

People who adopt a defeatist attitude before defeat is certain.

For example, people who start yelling about how a run is a "wipe", before it is even certain that we are going to lose and so other people assume we will lose and adopt that attitude/act in that manner.

End Result: It becomes a loss where it might not have been

Androgeus
2011-02-05, 01:56 PM
People who snap/pop their gum really loudly

Also my biggest one, which mostly applies to WoW:

People who adopt a defeatist attitude before defeat is certain.

For example, people who start yelling about how a run is a "wipe", before it is even certain that we are going to lose and so other people assume we will lose and adopt that attitude/act in that manner.

End Result: It becomes a loss where it might not have been

You reminded me of one of my peeves in WoW; people altering words to get them past the censor, the censor that is entirely optional

Gnoman
2011-02-05, 02:07 PM
I am reminded of a book I read in junior high (sadly I don't remember the name), in which the main character ended up adopting a little creature she ran into called a Peeve. So she literally had a pet Peeve.

Random anecdote alert: the librarian saw me reading this book, whatever it was, and suggested that I might like The Sword of Shannara. I read it, enjoyed it, and it became my gateway to all things fantasy. So this book with the pet Peeve in it is ultimately the reason I play D&D, discovered OotS, and am on this forum. :smallsmile: Now I really wish I remembered what the book was called.

The book is "Pet Peeve" by Piers Anthony. It's part of the 27-book Xanth "trilogy."

An Enemy Spy
2011-02-05, 02:14 PM
I can't stand people who pronounce words wrong. I had a teacher once who always said Edward Scissorshand. It's Scissorhands! I just wanted to shout that every time he said it.

Heliomance
2011-02-05, 02:42 PM
People who have (what I deem to be) a poor taste in music get on my nerves.

Bonus points if they disregard the good music due to reasons such as "It's old" "It's rap" or other such cop-outs.

Being rap is usually a very good reason to disregard music, with a few exceptions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY06IgyN_RM).

Ragitsu
2011-02-05, 11:28 PM
People on Youtube that threaten to "unsubscribe" to channels/users.

Are they serious? Huh? You're getting FREE entertainment, and if someone has a delay in posting videos/doesn't upload a video you enjoy, you cop an attitude? Give me a break.

FlashRah
2011-02-05, 11:31 PM
Being rap is usually a very good reason to disregard music, with a few exceptions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY06IgyN_RM).

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. Right now I'm quite peeved.

Also Public Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI-FTdtg1k8)! Bam!

Lord Raziere
2011-02-05, 11:43 PM
"They are family, and family is automatically worthy of respect".

Twitter
Facebook

Their existence is a blight on humanity.

Agreed.

I personally do not like people who just seem to stare dumbly at people and make these stupid, inane and often crude and jerkish comments.....so yea jersk in general.

Marillion
2011-02-05, 11:49 PM
You know those safety seals they put on the inside of containers of food? Well I have to take them completely off. I can’t stand it when someone leaves a small portion of those things on the rim of the container. I just…. Dunno I just have to take it off.

Augh. Someone at work will only cut a corner out of those or only peel them halfway off and every time I see it I practically start foaming at the mouth.

Nageto004
2011-02-06, 12:17 AM

Are they serious? Huh? You're getting FREE entertainment, and if someone has a delay in posting videos/doesn't upload a video you enjoy, you cop an attitude? Give me a break.

This, so much of this.

Coidzor
2011-02-06, 02:14 AM

How...do you see that often enough to get annoyed by it? :smallconfused: I've yet to run into that sort of thing and yet I keep hearing about others hating it.

Am I just that lucky...

Ragitsu
2011-02-06, 02:17 AM
How...do you see that often enough to get annoyed by it? :smallconfused: I've yet to run into that sort of thing and yet I keep hearing about others hating it.

Am I just that lucky...

Yes, you are.

I typically see this happen on user channels with a lot of "Let's Play" videos, or political commentary videos.

Anyhow, I could see it once every month, and still get annoyed at the sense of entitlement.

Boci
2011-02-06, 02:17 AM
Ooh, just thought of this. Geeks/nerds in T.V. shows using tech speak as dirty talk in romance scenes. I know it’s not meant seriously, but it still annoys me.

Am I just that lucky...

Have you read the OotS comic thread at a time where Rich's illness keeps him from posting for an extended period of time? Quite a few people claim they will stop reading it.

Coidzor
2011-02-06, 03:17 AM
Ooh, just thought of this. Geeks/nerds in T.V. shows using tech speak as dirty talk in romance scenes. I know it’s not meant seriously, but it still annoys me.

Yeah, that is pretty weird and annoying. But also just really bizarre too.

Have you read the OotS comic thread at a time where Rich's illness keeps him from posting for an extended period of time? Quite a few people claim they will stop reading it.

Not really. There's no real reason to read it when there's no new comic and the old comic's discussion has been tapped out.

Huh. Thought that was a one-time thing where he got sick once for an extended period of time. Must've missed that memo. :smallconfused:

Mina Kobold
2011-02-06, 06:17 AM
Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. Right now I'm quite peeved.

Also Public Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI-FTdtg1k8)! Bam!

Uhm, how to say this...

I can't hear the difference between that and regular "Look at me! I'm rebellious" Rap that some of my classmates* listen to. :smallfrown:

I can't hear any lyrics I am not aware of (As in looking them up), though. So it may just be the tone of the singers voice. :smallredface::smallfrown:

*Not that bad since the other group that puts music on once put Beatles on! Aren't they nice? :3

Asta Kask
2011-02-06, 06:19 AM
I sort loose candy before I eat it.

Ragitsu
2011-02-06, 05:58 PM

When you say "loose", do you mean candy you find in separate places, or candy like M&M's/Skittles?

Drakonzeta
2011-02-06, 10:06 PM
The school system.
In general.

People who stand side by side and block off the escalator even when it FRIGGEN TELLS YOU THAT THE LEFT SIDE IS FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE IN A HURRY AND NEED TO WALK UP THE ESCALATOR!!:smallfurious:
/angry rant
People who will stereotype entire races. It irritates me. Its racism, but in fantasy.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 10:14 PM
Agreed. I just remembered that one of the biggest pet peeves is the "always chaotic evil" labels of DnD even when they changed to "usually chaotic evil" I'm still pet peeved cause that is just saying the same thing but more politely :smallannoyed:

in fact I dislike DnD's black and white morality in general. If I ever run a DnD game myself, it ain't gonna have alignment in it.

Ragitsu
2011-02-06, 10:26 PM
"Not all Muslims are terrorist, but all terrorists are Muslim", and other bits of "logic" used to justify a widely encompassing discrimination.

Asta Kask
2011-02-07, 12:28 AM
When you say "loose", do you mean candy you find in separate places, or candy like M&M's/Skittles?

M&M/Skittles.

FlashRah
2011-02-07, 02:29 AM
Uhm, how to say this...

I can't hear the difference between that and regular "Look at me! I'm rebellious" Rap that some of my classmates* listen to. :smallfrown:

I can't hear any lyrics I am not aware of (As in looking them up), though. So it may just be the tone of the singers voice. :smallredface::smallfrown:

*Not that bad since the other group that puts music on once put Beatles on! Aren't they nice? :3

See part of me, the part that thinks rationally, knows that rap is not for everyone and that your opinion shouldnt bother me.

Then the part of me that makes this strange pet peeve wants to tell you all the reasons you're wrong and give you a massive list of the accolades the group has recieved.

Ragitsu
2011-02-07, 02:53 AM
M&M/Skittles.

I used to do this, from time to time, when I was younger. Haven't done it much these days.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-07, 06:13 AM
Agreed. I just remembered that one of the biggest pet peeves is the "always chaotic evil" labels of DnD even when they changed to "usually chaotic evil" I'm still pet peeved cause that is just saying the same thing but more politely :smallannoyed:

in fact I dislike DnD's black and white morality in general. If I ever run a DnD game myself, it ain't gonna have alignment in it.

The point of it is not to say the same more politely, but to say that while most kobolds you meet are evil and in a dictatorship society ruled by dragons there are some who are not.

WHile the Always Evil demons are made of evil and as such require extranormal circumstances to be good.

So you can raise a kobold to be a paladin of Pelor since it has free will and nurture affects them but the demon child do not have a choice and wil always be evil because that's what it's made of.

I think, I may have read it wrong of course. :smallsmile:

See part of me, the part that thinks rationally, knows that rap is not for everyone and that your opinion shouldnt bother me.

Then the part of me that makes this strange pet peeve wants to tell you all the reasons you're wrong and give you a massive list of the accolades the group has recieved.

I have nothing against either side and would like to hear your reasons. :smallsmile:

Worked with Metal. :smallbiggrin:

Sipex
2011-02-07, 10:55 AM
I'm a bit calmer today so here's a nice little list of my peeves:

- Anyone who says "Old" when a topic/link is brought up.

- Anyone who says "You didn't know that?!" or anything along that line when a question is asked.

- People who persistantly try to talk to me on the bus when I try to give them the "I really don't want to talk." hints

- The fact that it would be considered rude for me to outright say "I don't want to talk."

- Society's view on confrontation (at least where I am). Sure, everyone is thinking "Hey, that guy is being a jerk by doing X." but if you actively call him on it then you're suddenly the bad guy.

- A lot of activity on the bus in general. No, your purse doesn't need it's own seat. I could go on but it's just futile and enraging.

- People who feel the need to correct my spelling and grammar on small cases. I can understand if I've written a paragraph which is unreadable so you need to 'translate' it but telling me I've used the wrong form of 'too' in an otherwise comprehendable sentence isn't constructive.

- People who expect me to use full words and 100% proper spelling on the internet (or texts) really. Sure, I'll make the effort if I have a convenient method in front of me (ie: a keyboard) but you don't know if I'm typing from an inconvenient medium. Ever try to type on a Wii? Not fun.

- People who will respond "Then wait until you have a keyboard in front of you." or anything of a similar vain to the above question.

I need a break, my rage is building up.

Dogmantra
2011-02-07, 11:56 AM
Ever try to type on a Wii? Not fun.

Fun fact: you can plug a USB keyboard into the back of the Wii and it works with the internet browser. If you have a spare one you could always give that a shot. :smallwink:

Sipex
2011-02-07, 12:39 PM
Fun fact: you can plug a USB keyboard into the back of the Wii and it works with the internet browser. If you have a spare one you could always give that a shot. :smallwink:

Oh really?

I currently don't have a spare one lying around but it's good to know it'll accept that input.

Cealocanth
2011-02-07, 01:37 PM
Alright here's a couple of my pet peeves.

- People in both real life and the internet who feel that they can do anything they want and are completely justified in doing so, but criticize and try to fix the actions of others who do almost the exact same things to them.

- Adults that hate children with some sort of unholy spite for no reason whatsoever.

- People who assume that anyone under the legal age of responsibility is completely unable to make any decisions in any situation.

- As I call them, grandpa jokes. Those age old unfunny puns that just won't die. "Hurt your toe? Better call a tow trick!"

- Those people who use internet slang or leet as if they are required in order to do anything on the internet. Bonus points if they don't even know what they mean. "My d0g just d13d dud3! lol lol roflomgcopters! roflmaolollolcopters!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ragitsu
2011-02-07, 02:57 PM
Oh really?

I currently don't have a spare one lying around but it's good to know it'll accept that input.

You could start up a "Get a USB keyboard for Sipex" fundraiser. Have donations sent via Paypal :smallbiggrin:.

Sipex
2011-02-07, 03:06 PM
Oh, another one.

When something paranormal or creepy is discussed there's always the guy who thinks it's his job to debunk it or proove how it never could happen.

Just shut up and let us have our fun!

Teddy
2011-02-07, 06:00 PM
Oh really?

I currently don't have a spare one lying around but [emphasis mine] it's good to know it'll accept that input.

I first read this as "bus", which made the sentence sound like you sadly didn't have any spare ones lying around on the bus, which created a picture on how people keep taking up extra seats with their misplaced keyboards. :smallamused:

Oh, another one.

When something paranormal or creepy is discussed there's always the guy who thinks it's his job to debunk it or proove how it never could happen.

Just shut up and let us have our fun!

On the other side of the coin, there are those who can't stand when people more or even more stupidly believe in something stupid, and have to prove them wrong for their own sake. Given that the Internet is an incredibly poor medium for avoiding misunderstandings, people who're just generally enjoying themselves with stories of paranormalities are easily (and will be) misstaken for stupid stupid-heads.

Also, don't take any of the "stupid"s in the paragraph above too seriously. :smallwink:

AgentofOdd
2011-02-07, 06:06 PM
Lots of peeves I have, but strange ones? Well, I always get a tad annoyed when I don't understand a joke, and people refuse to explain it in plain English and simply give out coy responses referring to things I know nothing about.

And on an unrelated note, I also short loose candy, but only if it's a multi flavor bag like skittles.

An Enemy Spy
2011-02-08, 12:03 AM
People saying "good" when they should say "well"

Lord Raziere
2011-02-08, 12:31 AM
The point of it is not to say the same more politely, but to say that while most kobolds you meet are evil and in a dictatorship society ruled by dragons there are some who are not.

WHile the Always Evil demons are made of evil and as such require extranormal circumstances to be good.

So you can raise a kobold to be a paladin of Pelor since it has free will and nurture affects them but the demon child do not have a choice and wil always be evil because that's what it's made of.

I think, I may have read it wrong of course. :smallsmile:

oh I know that demons are irredeemable- converting a demon to good would probably actually start damaging reality according to my theories cause now there the balance between the two forces is slightly out of balance.

I still dislike the solution to these evil societies though- just killing them preserves the status quo and gives them fuel for revenge, and the alternative is arguably worse: pulling an Age of Imperialism and start rounding up these people and putting them into reeducation camps :smallannoyed: or of course taking babes of other races and raising them to be good....which probably involves killing their fathers their mothers in their own homes and painting yourselves as baby kidnappers to the race your trying to redeem.

any way you go about it, no solution seems to be the right one.

Ragitsu
2011-02-08, 04:53 AM
its still rather rude to not answer your phone when it rings. I mean there could be an emergency or something and people NEED to get a hold of you.

I've been working on being better about this.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-08, 05:39 AM
oh I know that demons are irredeemable- converting a demon to good would probably actually start damaging reality according to my theories cause now there the balance between the two forces is slightly out of balance.

I still dislike the solution to these evil societies though- just killing them preserves the status quo and gives them fuel for revenge, and the alternative is arguably worse: pulling an Age of Imperialism and start rounding up these people and putting them into reeducation camps :smallannoyed: or of course taking babes of other races and raising them to be good....which probably involves killing their fathers their mothers in their own homes and painting yourselves as baby kidnappers to the race your trying to redeem.

any way you go about it, no solution seems to be the right one.

I just put it a an example of what is possible with Almost Always instead of plain Always, an open-to-all orphanage was more what I was imagining than going out and messing with an entire species. >.<

Mutual peace takes time so I'd never suggest actually trying to convert every kobold, goblin or orc you find and kill those that won't. :smalleek:

Diplomacy, fairness and kindness in general, yes. Going paladin on them, no. ^.^

Heliomance
2011-02-08, 09:39 AM
People saying "good" when they should say "well"
Good, I don't know about that one.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-08, 09:46 AM
I just put it a an example of what is possible with Almost Always instead of plain Always, an open-to-all orphanage was more what I was imagining than going out and messing with an entire species. >.<

Mutual peace takes time so I'd never suggest actually trying to convert every kobold, goblin or orc you find and kill those that won't. :smalleek:

Diplomacy, fairness and kindness in general, yes. Going paladin on them, no. ^.^

but how, when people are attacked will that mutual peace be achieved? according to yourself the culture itself is evil, how could can one seek peace with them if their culture is designed to destroy you? the solution is somehow change the culture, how do you change the culture when you are a different race from them? how can such diplomacy be achieved if their culture itself is the problem?

change from within would the most preferable- but unreliable, we don't know how much such rebellious people would have an effect. sure we may want diplomacy and peace- but does their culture want it? if evil, probably no.
which is why the moral conundrum.

Sipex
2011-02-08, 09:49 AM
I first read this as "bus", which made the sentence sound like you sadly didn't have any spare ones lying around on the bus, which created a picture on how people keep taking up extra seats with their misplaced keyboards. :smallamused:

On the other side of the coin, there are those who can't stand when people more or even more stupidly believe in something stupid, and have to prove them wrong for their own sake. Given that the Internet is an incredibly poor medium for avoiding misunderstandings, people who're just generally enjoying themselves with stories of paranormalities are easily (and will be) misstaken for stupid stupid-heads.

Also, don't take any of the "stupid"s in the paragraph above too seriously. :smallwink:

Honestly, if someone seriously (seriously) believes in something that is impossible, some guy on the internet isn't going to convince them otherwise. Besides, who are we to say what you're allowed to believe in?

Worlok
2011-02-08, 11:31 AM
I have exactly two pet peeves, one of whom doesn't translate all that well. :smallbiggrin:

The first and hardly-translatable one would be that people use the words "günstig" and "billig" (both valid German terms for "cheap" - but something "günstig" is something that's a good deal or part of really favorible circumstances, while something "billig" is really only worth the very low price they attached to it) interchangeably and even using "billig" in advertisements. :smallsigh:

The other is people (randomly?) adding "the" in front of names and pronouns. I see it everywhere on the usual Saturday-evening internet binge: "The" we, "the" North Africa... and I just think it's stupid. What I never really got is whether that is some sort of meme or just a disturbingly common typo. :smallconfused:

Mina Kobold
2011-02-08, 01:34 PM
but how, when people are attacked will that mutual peace be achieved? according to yourself the culture itself is evil, how could can one seek peace with them if their culture is designed to destroy you? the solution is somehow change the culture, how do you change the culture when you are a different race from them? how can such diplomacy be achieved if their culture itself is the problem?

change from within would the most preferable- but unreliable, we don't know how much such rebellious people would have an effect. sure we may want diplomacy and peace- but does their culture want it? if evil, probably no.
which is why the moral conundrum.

He who fight monsters must be wary, lest he becomes a monster himself. If you go around saying "This culture is evil, so let's make it good" then you are on your way to become a dictator yourself. I think. May be a bit of an idealist. :smallredface:

My culture loves Handball and Football, I don't. >.>

So why would every kobold be like their leaders and laws? Support the soap-box hippies, influence them through little things like offering help in hard times, offer any that want it free education and work, turn the people against them.

Make the average kobold want the change instead of want to get rid of the monsters (Humans are tall, hairy and strange creatures that talk in deep voices, what else would a kobold think they are? :smalltongue:) invading, killing their leaders and forcing them to adhere to some straneg moral code. :smallsmile:

That's my two shiny plates, anyway. :smallsmile:

Teddy
2011-02-08, 05:38 PM
Honestly, if someone seriously (seriously) believes in something that is impossible, some guy on the internet isn't going to convince them otherwise. Besides, who are we to say what you're allowed to believe in?

Doesn't stop especially many from trying anyway, doesn't it? :smallwink:

Also, to be fair, there are quite a lot of erroneous beliefs that are really dangerous, like racism, for one, or the idea that industrial strength bleach is a miracle medicine, for another (to be honest, they're all completely harmless up to the point where you start making decisions based on them, but that's going to happen sooner or later). You have to draw a line somewhere, but thanks to our lack of black and white morality, it's nigh impossible to find where to draw it without being either too inclusive or exclusive (or, as in many cases, both).

ScottishDragon
2011-02-08, 08:44 PM
Another pet peeve of mine. People that insist that when I am drawing something, let it be art or school work on commenting on how ugly it it. You don't think I know it already? And half the time theirs is worse than mine, but you don't see ME saying anything about it. Sheesh. Had this happen 3 times just while I was "attempting" to draw a dream house for a project.

Partof1
2011-02-08, 10:26 PM
Another of mine would be those inane facebook pages that a few of my friends have a penchant for liking. They are not funny, and they do not gain the liker any prestige because they have disliked Justin Bieber or go out of their way to save kittens or something, they serve only to annoy the friends of the liker.

Sipex
2011-02-09, 10:13 AM
Also, people who will say the punchline of a joke (ie: In a show for example or something) moments before it's actually said.

Anyone seen the SNL skit "People getting punched right before eating"? There's one scene where Andy goes to punch a guy with a pizza who he's already punched before. The guy is expecting it and retaliates, threatening Andy and scaring him off. He then goes to enjoy his pizza.

Andy, enraged, appears behind the guy with a faux mad look on his face and he jumps him, strangling him.

At this point, my friend who is watching this with me (showing it to me) sings "Murder!" and a few moments later that comes up on the screen as the joke.

Augh.

Gnoman
2011-02-09, 03:04 PM
I don't mind that when they just were able to figure it out. It's kinda fun doing that, or predicting movie plot twists. It's when they've seen it before and quote lines in sync with (or before) the actors that really annoys me. (imagine watching Star Wars for the first time with some snotty nine year old going "It's headed for that small moon. That's no moon. It's a space station." for every line in the movie.

Sipex
2011-02-09, 03:28 PM
Yeah, if someone figures out the plot twist ahead of you I don't mind. My wife and I do that sort of thing all the time.

In this case, she had seen the video beforehand.

Mecharious
2011-02-10, 03:06 PM
When someone links to TVtropes in an unrelated topic. I don't hate the website or anything... I just find the conformity of tropes a bit disturbing.

FlashRah
2011-02-10, 04:57 PM
I just remembered one. The phrase "That's just your opinion"

Really? Thanks Captain Obvious. Had you not gone out of your way to point out at that my opinion is, in fact, my opinion I'd have just assumed it was someone elses. Brilliant.

What I hate is the subtle suggestion that I'm trying to enforce my own opinion on to them. Never is this said when one says something positive. Compare

"I don't like House. I find it dull and repetitive"
"Well that's just your opinion"

to

"I love House. One of the best shows on TV"

Second one sounds a touch off doesn't it? Also this is never said when two parties are in agreement.

"I agree with you. House is dull and repetitive"

Leading me to conclude that the phrase is a cheap, knock off argument used because

a) They really aren't sure of their own opinion ("Hmm... maybe House really isn't that good")
b) They can't come up with a valid counterpoint ("Your FACE is dull and repetitive")
c) They aren't really invested in the conversation at all ("What's he talking about? TV shows? Jesus... he's boring")

VioletRice
2011-02-10, 09:12 PM
I think the point is more to say "your opinions aren't objective". Of course, you really shouldn't have to say that, since everyone should know that, and I suspect pretty much everyone does, but lots of people act like their opinion is objective.

Although, yes I do agree it's annoying. But that's just our opinion. :smalltongue:

Heliomance
2011-02-10, 09:35 PM
If someone thoroughly disliked House, and you were espousing its virtues, then "that's just your opinion" doesn't really sound off to me.

And of course it's not going to be used when the parties are in agreement. "Just" is an inherently dismissive word.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-11, 04:32 AM
I think the point is more to say "your opinions aren't objective". Of course, you really shouldn't have to say that, since everyone should know that, and I suspect pretty much everyone does, but lots of people act like their opinion is objective.

Although, yes I do agree it's annoying. But that's just our opinion. :smalltongue:

Everybody apparently does not include teachers in my high school, if the author hasn't denied it then the teacher's interpretation is the only correct one and any other interpretation will lower your grade. :/

Baka square teachers! *continues non-sensical rambling*

Anyway, I remembered a pet peeve: Saying it's weird to dislike a song because fo the lyrics. Why should a catchy tune suddenly make me like that the singer is telling me that women are objects and if you don't swear every five seconds and sleep with everything from boxes to mermaids then you're an idiot? I don't want to do any of that!

I will stick to my Beatle and Beethoven, thanyouverymuch!...

Why do I object to being called weird, again? :smalltongue:

Gnoman
2011-02-11, 12:41 PM
I hate that too. The whole "Lyrics are completely meaningless and should have no effect on your opinion of the song" crowd really annoy me.

Marillion
2011-02-11, 01:27 PM
To me, I don't say the lyrics shouldn't make you dislike a song, but you SHOULD remember that it is just a song, and the person singing it isn't necessarily the same as the narrator of the song. I find it makes me much more inclined to like the song if I can pretend that the singer is making fun of what an awful terrible person the narrator is. :smallsmile:

Also: "We only use 10 percent of our brains.":smallannoyed: Especially when it's followed up with "Edison/Einstein/[Genius du jour] used 15 percent." :smallmad:

Mina Kobold
2011-02-11, 01:50 PM
To me, I don't say the lyrics shouldn't make you dislike a song, but you SHOULD remember that it is just a song, and the person singing it isn't necessarily the same as the narrator of the song. I find it makes me much more inclined to like the song if I can pretend that the singer is making fun of what an awful terrible person the narrator is. :smallsmile:

Also: "We only use 10 percent of our brains.":smallannoyed: Especially when it's followed up with "Edison/Einstein/[Genius du jour] used 15 percent." :smallmad:

I am well aware of that, but it still gets these two reactions from me:

Eeeeeeeeew, that's icky! >.<
or
STOP SWEARING EVERY FIVE SECONDS! >:(

I do, however believe it is for similar subjective reasons to how an aquaphobe (or an anti-fish) won't like a song describing swimming in great detail, it simply scares or icks me. :smallsmile:

Anyway, we are technically using about 10% of our brain at a given time. The problem is that some hear that as "we have never used it" as opposed to "We use it for stuff we aren't doing right now".

Or that's what I've heard, anyway. :smallsmile:

Sipex
2011-02-11, 01:52 PM
I am well aware of that, but it still gets these two reactions from me:

Eeeeeeeeew, that's icky! >.<
or
STOP SWEARING EVERY FIVE SECONDS! >:(

I do, however believe it is for similar subjective reasons to how an aquaphobe (or an anti-fish) won't like a song describing swimming in great detail, it simply scares or icks me. :smallsmile:

Anyway, we are technically using about 10% of our brain at a given time. The problem is that some hear that as "we have never used it" as opposed to "We use it for stuff we aren't doing right now".

Or that's what I've heard, anyway. :smallsmile:

Mythbusters did this and we use more than 10%. When inactive/resting it was measured that we use about 15% at any one time. Active went up to nearly 35%

Mina Kobold
2011-02-11, 02:05 PM
Mythbusters did this and we use more than 10%. When inactive/resting it was measured that we use about 15% at any one time. Active went up to nearly 35%

I see, my mistake. :smallsmile:

Knew I was missing something.

Sipex
2011-02-11, 02:07 PM
I love that Mythbusters has more cred than some cited documents. Nobody questions when you state something they did.

Not that I lied or anything, my statements are true, I saw the episode. I was just making an observation.

Sipex
2011-02-11, 02:40 PM
I just came across another pet peeve of mine.

When someone corrects you during a conversation on something which doesn't really matter when it comes to be big picture.

(ie: The choice of there/they're/their for example. While annoying to some, most people will see it, take in the context and be able to understand what the poster in question means anyways.)

This only annoys me if it's a standalone comment though. If added in with actual context I tend not to rage.

Gravitron5000
2011-02-12, 04:21 PM
Alright here's a couple of my pet peeves.

- As I call them, grandpa jokes. Those age old unfunny puns that just won't die. "Hurt your toe? Better call a tow trick!"

I unfortunately would be your nightmare. That joke made me giggle a bit. I inherited my bad sense of humour from my father ... and yes, I do realize that my sense of humour is horrid.

Without further ado ... Why are pirates pirates?

They just Arrrrr!

I did warn you :smallbiggrin:

Mina Kobold
2011-02-12, 04:31 PM
Without further ado ... Why are pirates pirates?

They just Arrrrr!

I did warn you :smallbiggrin:

I found that one pretty funny, so your humour isn't worse than mine. :smallsmile:

Though, that may not say much. :smalltongue:

Eruantion
2011-02-12, 10:53 PM
My biggest pet peeve is when someone who has a strong Type A personality or who is a very organized person claims that they're "OCD" about something. As someone who's dealt with OCD myself, tossing it around so casually upsets me to no end :smallmad:

Watcher
2011-02-13, 10:14 PM
In Choir: Someone makes a mistake, and during the song, everybody looks straight at them. Even the people in front of them turn around to look at them.

Basses dropping an octave when not told to.

Conductors telling the second basses to sing the tenor line.

Incomp
2011-02-13, 11:54 PM
Apostrophe. Errors. Infuriate. Me.

I can deal with seeing "its" used as it's, etc, because, well, people are just lazy and that will never change, but placing an apostrophe between a plural word and the letter S is...just...wrong. So very wrong. I mean, it's incredibly common to the point where I have doubts about the U.S.'s school system, as it apparently is unable to teach basic grammar. It's just not that hard to work out.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-14, 12:17 AM
He who fight monsters must be wary, lest he becomes a monster himself. If you go around saying "This culture is evil, so let's make it good" then you are on your way to become a dictator yourself. I think. May be a bit of an idealist. :smallredface:

My culture loves Handball and Football, I don't. >.>

So why would every kobold be like their leaders and laws? Support the soap-box hippies, influence them through little things like offering help in hard times, offer any that want it free education and work, turn the people against them.

Make the average kobold want the change instead of want to get rid of the monsters (Humans are tall, hairy and strange creatures that talk in deep voices, what else would a kobold think they are? :smalltongue:) invading, killing their leaders and forcing them to adhere to some straneg moral code. :smallsmile:

That's my two shiny plates, anyway. :smallsmile:

maybe your just an idealist....or maybe I'm just a cynic. All I see in soap-box hippies of an Evil culture are targets for oppressive lawful evil rulers to silence, for neutral evil people to make examples of, for chaotic evil bullies to pick on.
but you right in a way...turn the people against the.....like a rebellion, a revolution....

YES! I got it! I think I know of an awesome way to play DnD:
play a party of chaotic good people who go around and start causing revolutions throughout the "evil" races to overthrow the evil rulers and replace them with the good guys of those races, who start to change them for the better.

DnD: The Age of Rebellion (or DnD: The Age of Revolution, both sound cool.)

Mina Kobold
2011-02-14, 05:06 AM
maybe your just an idealist....or maybe I'm just a cynic. All I see in soap-box hippies of an Evil culture are targets for oppressive lawful evil rulers to silence, for neutral evil people to make examples of, for chaotic evil bullies to pick on.
but you right in a way...turn the people against the.....like a rebellion, a revolution....

YES! I got it! I think I know of an awesome way to play DnD:
play a party of chaotic good people who go around and start causing revolutions throughout the "evil" races to overthrow the evil rulers and replace them with the good guys of those races, who start to change them for the better.

DnD: The Age of Rebellion (or DnD: The Age of Revolution, both sound cool.)

Well yeah, but that doesn't usually stop them. I'd give an example but it's twentieth century politics so... ^_^'

It did work, however, as evident by the fact that I have relatives that was involved in it and they haven't suffered anything but moving to Sweden. Even if that is a horrible fate. :smalltongue:

Nice idea, would certainly provide more use for rogues and bards and make the players think about strategy instead of just trying to get more dakka. :smallsmile:

Thorcrest
2011-02-14, 12:30 PM
Saying that things are Evil because they aren't the norm for the culture.

For Example: He's a Dictator/King/Supreme Ruler, he must be Evil!
This is the most ridiculous possible interpretation of political morality possible, but I cannot go into further due to board rules and regulations.

Marillion
2011-02-14, 01:02 PM
Teh.

I realize that it's an easy to make, easy to miss typo, so I always give someone who writes it the benefit of the doubt, even though it makes me twitch every time I see it.

People who SAY it get no such courtesy.

Alarra
2011-02-15, 05:19 AM

One of the other forums that I was a mod of gave out titles to various posters of long standing and mine was 'the ellipsesist' because I used them so often.

Me too, always. And then always eat them in the same order which goes brown>green>yellow>orange>blue>purple>red>pink, subject to change based on which colors are in the package in question and whether they have unusual flavors, such as things where green = green apple rather than lime, which would move it higher on the list. :smallsmile: I also then make them into designs and patterns.

Most of my pet peeves are not strange and are driving related, because people are idiots and obnoxious when they drive.

Oh, and people that call two times within the same hour. I ignored your phone call the first time, just like I do every single day. What makes you think I'll answer now?

Also, when Zeb corrects me, usually for saying 'a whole nother' instead of 'another whole', but for anything grammar related, because I know I should know better and most of the time I don't care.

Teddy
2011-02-15, 07:17 AM
Me too, always. And then always eat them in the same order which goes brown>green>yellow>orange>blue>purple>red>pink, subject to change based on which colors are in the package in question and whether they have unusual flavors, such as things where green = green apple rather than lime, which would move it higher on the list. :smallsmile: I also then make them into designs and patterns.

green candy = apple flavor is unusual for you? :smallconfused: Okay, I have to admit that pear flavor for the green candy is more common than apple flavor over here, but I wonder if I've ever encountered lime, which is sad, as the citrus flavors are my favorites.

Why is there no lime? Aren't we supposed to be all candy-crazed up here in Sweden!?

Heliomance
2011-02-15, 07:49 AM
Apostrophe. Errors. Infuriate. Me.

I can deal with seeing "its" used as it's, etc, because, well, people are just lazy and that will never change, but placing an apostrophe between a plural word and the letter S is...just...wrong. So very wrong. I mean, it's incredibly common to the point where I have doubts about the U.S.'s school system, as it apparently is unable to teach basic grammar. It's just not that hard to work out.

The ultimate expression of this I have seen: A greengrocer's shop advertising "cucumber's, lettuce's and asparagu's."

Gnoman
2011-02-15, 09:47 AM
On a related note, I can stand people who try to possessiveize singular nouns wrong because they end in "s".

For example, in my 11th grade robotics class, a team was working on a robot called "Maximus." One member of the team, the one making the sign insisted on wording it "Maximus' arms are capable of..."

I was not aware we had more than one Maximu.

Sipex
2011-02-15, 10:07 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but if it's called 'Maximus' where the singular form ends with an S then that's actually proper.

Dogmantra
2011-02-15, 12:20 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but if it's called 'Maximus' where the singular form ends with an S then that's actually proper.

I do believe that it's a stylistic choice and things like James' and James's are both acceptable.

And technically since "asparaguses" is apparently an acceptable plural, "asparagu's" is correct because the apostrophe is standing in for the "se". Of course that's probably not what the stall holder intended but :smalltongue:

Sipex
2011-02-15, 02:39 PM
English is such a fickle lover. MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

No wonder some people call it the hardest language to learn.

Gnoman
2011-02-15, 05:23 PM

Tell that to every single english style manual in the stack of thirty in my closet. s' is only used for plurals. singular nouns always end in 's for possessive.

snoopy13a
2011-02-15, 05:34 PM
Tell that to every single english style manual in the stack of thirty in my closet. s' is only used for plurals. singular nouns always end in 's for possessive.

I was taught that if a singular proper noun ended in "s" then:

For one syllable words: Bugs's
For multi-syllable words: James'

However, a quick internet search suggests that the new trend is to go with: James's. It is still probably a stylistic option though.

Partof1
2011-02-15, 07:46 PM
They're both correct, you just need to be consistent.

Sipex
2011-02-16, 11:26 AM
Wow, that's a new one.

Breaking news at this week's internet discussion! Apparently everyone is right.

More at 6.

Dogmantra
2011-02-16, 11:38 AM
I feel wrong using bits of paper or card for bookmarks. So I have to take a piece of blank card and write something on it about how it's a bookmark. Then it's fine.

TheArsenal
2011-02-19, 08:18 AM
Girls Having all the cool stuff in cartoons.

Boys Get Swords

Girls Get the ability to Shoot Meteors from their eyes...

I want Meteors too =( .

Deadly
2011-02-19, 03:42 PM
Underscores. As a programmer I find them utterly loathsome.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-19, 05:10 PM
Girls Having all the cool stuff in cartoons.

Boys Get Swords

Girls Get the ability to Shoot Meteors from their eyes...

I want Meteors too =( .

If I may be so frank, what cartoons are like that? ^_^'

I may be primarily an Anime fan but I have seen my share of cartoons and most have favoured either a male hero (Danny Phantom, The Fairly Oddparents, even Kim Possible ended up being more about Ron) or were pretty evenly divided (Justice League, Avatar, X-men) :3

It's fairly common in Shoujo Anime but that's kind of to be expected. ^_^

... Why do I know what Shojo Anime's like? :smalltongue:

Also, a pet peeve, when someone excuses their behaviour on Asperger's or Autism. That's just not nice.

Perenelle
2011-02-19, 08:22 PM
hmm, let's see here.. I don't think I have any particularly strange pet peeves. But some of my relatively normal ones are:

-Creased pages in books
-People who insist on trying to make conversation with me when I'm obviously reading a book and I don't want to talk to them about their dog or what the weather is like.
-P3ple wh0 tYpE lyk tHis
-When people clap between movements at concerts. :smallfurious:
-Guys who leave the toilet seat up
-People who don't work hard and expect to see results
-small dogs that have high pitched, annoying barks
-Parents who bring their eight year olds to rated R movies
-When my grandparent's forget to turn the hall light off at night
-Loud music in cars

There's probably a lot more, but that's all I can think of right now.