PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sun Defiling

umbrapolaris
2011-01-31, 06:25 AM
we want to use the Defiler & Dragon-King defiling casting abilities of Dark sun 2E in FR without using those classes.

the question is:

should we convert the system into feats or create a template?

hamlet
2011-01-31, 08:24 AM
Eh?

I'm not sure what you're asking, here.

Are you talking about using defiling (as in the style of casting) within the Forgotten Realms campaign setting?

If so, there's no need to convert anything, just use it. There are defiling rules for AD&D and for 3.x that are perfectly suitable.

I'd caution against it, though. Defiling really doesn't fit the Realms terribly well.

dsmiles
2011-01-31, 08:28 AM
I'd caution against it, though. Defiling really doesn't fit the Realms terribly well.But...it's so much...FUN!

hamlet
2011-01-31, 08:37 AM
But...it's so much...FUN!

Until the nearest druid shows up and kicks you in the rump so hard you find yourself looking out your own crack.

Lhurgyof
2011-01-31, 08:40 AM
And then you use your Psycho mind powers to melt his brain. :)

Lurkmoar
2011-01-31, 08:44 AM
I'd just straight out port it, do you have the original Dark Sun rules for it?

Example:

Throw a Lightning Bolt out (3rd level spell) creates an area of ash 3 yards around the defiler. Casts Magic Missile next round expands the ash another yard to 5. Then Advanced Illusion (5th level, higher level spells take priority so it becomes 5 plus an additional yard per lower spell) creating a 7 yard radius with the defiler in the middle. That's if he stays in one spot of course.

Also, defiling should give some benefit. In 2nd Edition, defilers leveled up quite fast.

umbrapolaris
2011-01-31, 09:22 AM
we used the rules given by athas.org but the site is down.

we want to make them into feats or template coz we dont want any caster be able to be defilers. just some selected or chosen ones.

Lhurgyof
2011-01-31, 11:37 AM
we used the rules given by athas.org but the site is down.

we want to make them into feats or template coz we dont want any caster be able to be defilers. just some selected or chosen ones.

Athas.org is up for me.

My old DM made it a radius of 5 ft per spell level, the more lush the more the DC/effects get boosted, but those in the radius also took penalties.

Keep in mind, though, this was a higher powered game. I'd say +1 LA.

umbrapolaris
2011-01-31, 11:52 AM
My old DM made it a radius of 5 ft per spell level, the more lush the more the DC/effects get boosted, but those in the radius also took penalties.

we use almost the same, our campaign is very high powered so it should fit.

sample of the "housebrewed" feat (just a copy-paste with adds ^^); in the best terrain and best roll , you gain 3 spell slots/lv ; in the worst terrain and worst roll , you lost 3 spell slots (as Dark Sun AD&D2e). i didnt put the table coz im too lazy to do it.

Defiling (Special)
You are able to draw magic energy from the living energy of plant rather than the Weave.
Prerequisite: any non-spontaneous caster class.
Benefit: Defilers have discovered how to draw life energy to fuel their spells. Defiler must use life energy to cast and boost their spells. This energy is drawn from the most available life-source. When a Defiler draws energy, he pulls the life energy from the living beings & plants in his area. Whenever a Defiler summons energy for a spell from a source-plant, a faint green shimmer of energy can been seen flowing into the Defiler’s opened palm, and then fades to nothing as the plant’s life is literally sucked out of it; although he can’t actually harm creatures, living beings in the area (including human and demi-humans) feel pain. This can include other PCs. This pain causes temporary stunning and decreases the creature’s initiative by one point per level of the spell. This penalty does not apply to the Defiler. Defilers leave behind an ashen circle when casting spells. The radius is 5 ft. x spell slot level expended (A 0-level spell defiles a single 5-ft. square occupied by the caster). Creatures except the Defiler caught within the Defiling radius at casting time experience pain and suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks and saves, lasting one round. Plant creatures also suffer 2 hp damage x spell slot level expended (a 0-level spell inflicts 1 hp damage). Defiler's ash is black and totally devoid of life-giving properties. It is the telltale sign of defiling. Nothing grows in a defiled area for years. Even if the Defiler's ash moves with the wind, the ground remains a lifeless scar. When defiling, a Defiler can extend the casting time of her spells to 1 round and gain a +1 bonus to caster level. Her Defiling radius increases by 5 ft. Spells with a normal casting time of 1 round or longer require an extra round to be cast in this manner. Experienced Defilers often increase their spellcasting power further through Raze feats.

There isn’t even a set number of Spell per day a Defiler can cast, sometimes they can defile more energy out of the land to cast more spells than his level would normally allow, at other times the land will not give enough energy to cast a normal number of spells. Whenever a Defiler prepares his spells, he does so as normal, preparing the maximum as per his level. No energy is drawn at this time and no plants are harmed. When the spell is actually cast, the Defiler must roll a level check and compare it on the table below. Drawing energy is part of the spellcasting process and does not take any longer than casting a spell normally. Compare the result on the table below. If the results is a failure, far left column, indicates that there is less energy available than standard. The Defiler still manages to cast the spell in question, but his total of spells per day is diminished. The DM should tell the player in advance whether he will let the player choose what spells he’ll lose or if he will determine the lost spells randomly. An average success, middle column, indicates the normal energy present and therefore, normal number of spells. If a superior success is rolled, the right column, then the Defiler gains an additional number of spells per day. He cannot prepare new spells immediately, he simply gains the energy needed to cast the spells he has currently prepared more than normal, as indicated.
Special:
Tainted Aura: The Defiler is tainted by his arcane ways in such a matter that it is noticeable. People feel uncomfortable and wary when the Defiler is present and animals whimper when he approaches. The Defiler suffers a -1 circumstance penalty to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information and Handle Animal checks for every odd level of Defiler gained. He receives a similar circumstance bonus to Intimidate checks. The tainted aura has a range of 5 feet per Defiler level. Raze feats are [Special] feats that require an arcane spellcaster to be a defiler. They can only be applied when defiling. Multiple raze feats can be applied simultaneously. For example, a Defiler Wizard who has Distance Raze, Destructive Raze and Fast Raze can benefit from all of them when casting a single spell. A Wizard’s bonus feats can be used to acquire Raze feats if the wizard fulfills the feat prerequisites.

Lhurgyof
2011-01-31, 06:09 PM
Well, it looks like it works pretty well. :smallsmile:

umbrapolaris
2011-02-01, 12:04 AM
Well, it looks like it works pretty well. :smallsmile:

thanks, i think to put it on the homebrew section, add some of the converted abilities from the dragon-king, Leech, and arch-defiler.

since it is not my creation, just some converted and modified things from athas.org , i dont know if i have the right to post it somewhere; someone can answer me?