PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to the Demonweb Pits IC (group 2)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jair Barik
2011-01-31, 10:32 AM
Expedition to the DemonWeb Pits

OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185573)

Winter is fast approaching. Food has been stored away for the coming months of cold and hardship. Paladins and noble knights patrol the lands up and down those roads deemed most important and venture into the forests and hills close to towns in their efforts to protect the weak and the innocent from monsters that would prey upon their livestock and raid their food stores. Many of those common pests that would plague the countryside have gone for the year, migrating to warmer climates or burrowing underground for the cold season. The harvest was good this year and raids from kobolds and goblinfolk were less frequent than normal. Yet despite all this the winter months seem set to bring misery and hardship.

In the past week, all across the Country, raids by the drow have been rapidly increasing in frequency. Attacks upon travellers, adventurers, villages and even larger cities have been occuring again and again with no apparent reason or motive. Worse still rumours from abroard tell a story much the same. All across the world the Drow are rising up from their underground fortresses and hidden cabals to attack all that you hold dear. In the frontier town of Melsan farms have been set to the torch, entire grain solos burnt, cattle slaughtered and farmers vicously murdered, in some cases tortured to death, with no understandable cause. No food, money or posessions are taken and shockingly few are taken alive to become slaves to the drow. Wherever the drow attack is destroyed, set aflame to burn through the night. Flames on the horizon are becoming a common sight during the midnight hours, and not a welcome one.

And so you travel towards the hills to the east of town, for that is where the drow attacks seem to have been coming from, and it is to the east that survivors report they are seen stealing away to in the aftermath of the slaughter. Your little company consists of a tall gaunt woman with the look of a scholar about her, a brown haired halfling with twin shortswords who wears a cloth of sorts wrapped about his person, an older more grizzled looking figure in fullplate who appears as though he has seen many a battle, an attractive blonde woman in platemail armour with a longsword at her side and a similarly attired (but younger looking) woman who bears a greatsword. You having been travelling a few hours now in silence and as it nears dusk you spy a building that would be a suitable place to pitch camp. It looks maintained but unoccupied, a sign bearing the words Travelers Rest hanging from the front of the building, creaking back and forth in the evening wind. It is a small wooden shelter, about 30ft wide by 30ft deep with only a single floor. It has two doors, the first opening south onto the road, the second on the western face that appears likely to lead to the privy. A stack of logs lies next to the wall and there appears to be a small fenced-off area at the front, currently empty but likely useful for leaving animals in over night.

@NotaNinja

Your journey to Melsan is a matter of mixed emotions. Why did you come here? Faith? Self rightousness? Or perhaps maybe guilt. What ever emotions stir inside you though they have brought you into the company of four other individuals who all evidently share you goal to put an end to the drow attacks. And so sword in hand you have journeyed eastward in the direction the drow are said to have come from, journeyed away from the civilisation you know and on into the cold winds of lands uninhabited and out towards bare lifeless looking hills and mountains.

@bindin garoth

Shortly after the drow attacks began you were contacted by the high priest of Corellon Larethian. The priesthood are greatly disturbed by recent events and fear that the Drow attacks may be a syptom of some much wider threat that could engulf all elf kind if left unchecked. You and many of your fellow followers of corellon larethain have been tasked to search across the land and over the seas to seek out the cause of this danger and put an end to it, by whatever means necessary.

@Dresil

You march with an anger in your heart. The rage of injustice that must be righted, the fury of one who seeks to avenge all they once held dear that is now lost to them. but your rage is tempered, controlled and ready to be used in battle, it is not a rage of barbaric chaos, but of the lawbringer headed out to punish the wicked and evil of heart.

Approaching the building you suspect that is likely one of the hospices erected and maintained by the worshippers of Fharlanghn, diety of roads. Though it is likely to be uninhabited it probably contains beds for the night and a cache of supplies from which travellers are free to take whatever they need (though they are expected to place something back in the cache for other who may come to use it).

@Cespnar

From the look of things you are the only one of this little group who is a battle hardened merc. The others (though looking as though they are each experienced in their own right) don't bear the same appearance that is so often worn by a sell-sword such as yourself. You are yet to meet the enemy but it is an event you look forward to, a chance to cross blades with the infamous drow, the race of warrior women and witches who serve the dark God Lolth. For now you walk, waiting for the moment when you can test their fearsome reputation.

@Sazzer

Your reasons for joining the hunt are your own. For the sake of all that is good? For the sense of mystery which surrounds these attacks? Or maybe...just maybe it is because you feel this journey might take you to those places that you so long to explore, to unravel the secrets of shadow once and for all. You are yet to find Rose tobin in town and so the logical step towards furthering your knowledge is to help fend off the drow. Perhaps then the townsfolk will lighten up to you, asuming that is that Rose has not been made a prisoner of the drow...or worse.

bindin garoth
2011-01-31, 11:39 AM
Hey everyone, this looks like a good place to camp for the night. How 'bout it? Making knowledge (history) check to see if I know anything aout the place or surroundings, as well as spot or listen checks to see if anyone is near the building

knowledge(history) [roll0]
spot [roll1]
listen [roll2]
Also, I normally bind paimon in the mornings. Can go ahead and make the binding check for this mourning? If so here's the roll [roll3]

bindin garoth
2011-01-31, 12:17 PM
@DM
i forgot to mention I have the scent special ability from my stance. Do I smell anything?

Jair Barik
2011-01-31, 12:25 PM
@bindin garoth

You do not recall anything about the building, nor do you smell anything unusual in your immediate area.

OOC: Your last post should probably have either been edited into your previous post or posted in the OOC to avoid double posting. Also for future refrence place all mechanical information e.g. "Making knowledge (history) check to see if I know anything aout the place or surroundings, as well as spot or listen checks to see if anyone is near the building" in the spoiler and describe your characters action outside the spoiler e.g. 'Searil looked at the building seeing if he could recall anyone in town mentioning such a place. At the same time he kept a watchful vigil on his surroundings, listening for any sounds coming from within the building'

Also your binding check failed this morning so you are under the influence of Paimon

bindin garoth
2011-01-31, 12:43 PM
After thinking for a moment and checking the surroundings Seems clear. Come'on everyone, probably be the last time we get a decent nights rest for a whle....

sazzer
2011-01-31, 02:10 PM
If you're sure - I could really do with getting off my feet!

Lily heads over and opens the south door a crack, peering inside

Spot and Listen checks to see if there's anything inside.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Cespenar
2011-01-31, 03:12 PM
Keeping to the back of the group, Warris frowns as he examines the building.

"It looks unoccupied. Hmm," he mumbles skeptically, and waits as Lily opens the door.

NotANinja
2011-01-31, 05:22 PM
Clarissa had trudged quietly with the rest of them until the unoccupied building. When the first few comments were made it was as though a cork had been popped, and she grunted in aggravation.

“Finally,” she said, exasperated. “We've only been walking for forever and my feet hurt. There's been no people, or music, or anything. Just walk, walk, walk. Why didn't anyone even say anything the whole time? I don't even know you guys but you're all super tight-lipped like Saint Cuthbert himself would lop off your head if you made a peep. Are we even in the right area? There's no drow anywhere that I've seen.” She paused in her whining only long to take a hearty gulp from the flask that never emptied itself of a delightfully dark red, and sighed in genuine relieve afterwards. After licking her lips and having the flask gingerly reattached to her belt she gave a baffled look at them.

“Hey! How come we're not going in?”

Jair Barik
2011-01-31, 05:38 PM
Opening the door Lily can take a quick look inside the building and finds it is dark and empty. It contains three bunkbeds, a table with chairs, a fireplace and what appear to be a relatively complete set of cooking utensils. You also notice a chest of sorts that has been slid beneath the table. It is hardly luxury but the word cosy comes to mind when looking at the inside of the building, Lilly cannot tell wether or not it has been inhabited recently. From inside (and from having approached the building) the party can now tell that there is in fact a well tucked into the corner of the fenced off animal pen, as well as a second door out of the building into the pen. In total the hut has four windows, one opening out over the wood stack to the west, the others on the north, east and south walls of the building, they are quite small and don't appear to have any mechanism for opening them. To the south of the road is a small hill but otherwise the land is relatively flat around here. A small glade of trees surround the hut but those to the west of the hut have been cut down for firewood and so only stumps remain of them.

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/rect6464-1.png
Grey squares are a 5ft incline that represent the hill, blue is windows, white small squares are doors. The small brown line represents the fence of the animal hold, you cannot move through the fence freely but it doesn't obstruct sight.

sazzer
2011-01-31, 05:49 PM
I'm calling top bunk!

bindin garoth
2011-01-31, 06:09 PM
Searil walks up to the door and looks inside.Well,Clarrisa, at least we can finally rest. I'll take first shift. Anyone think we should do pairs for shifts? Walks up to the chest under the table and opens it, curious about whats inside Lets see what we got here...

Dresil
2011-01-31, 07:59 PM
Aria has been quiet for most of the trip, and sends a prayer of thanks as they find refuge. She sees her companions settling in to the building, and offers a word of what she suspects of the building.

"This is a haven for those on the road. A place to lend travelers four walls and a roof. And if such is true, then that chest would most likely be a supply of things others have left behind wishing those on the future's road a safer journey."

If what she thinks is true then Aria will pull out a small wrapped bar and a gold piece and places into the box. "Something small enough to help the next righteous soul on their way to fight for Good. I shall offer my services as the first watch."

Cespenar
2011-01-31, 08:01 PM
Warris chuckles and simply shakes his head against Clarissa's ongoing tirade. As they enter the building, however, his expression turns sour.

"Let's go with pairs," he says, nodding to Searil. "This is close to where the reports say the drow attacked, and this lone building is not a very defensible position."

He examines the inside of the building, and sighs.

"I'll join you in the first shi-" He pauses, glancing at Aria.

"Okay, I'll take the second, then."

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 04:46 AM
Opening up the chest you find inside of it two coils of 50ft hemp rope, twenty torches, two waterskins, two sets of flint and steel, three flasks of acid and two vials of alchemists fire. Aria can quite happily add her trail bar and gold to the chest for whoever should come here next.

bindin garoth
2011-02-01, 05:42 AM
Searil reaches for the acid and alchemst's fire, and takes them with 5 of the torchesI don't have much to leave, but hopefully this will help someone elsehe says as he leaves behind 20gp and fills one of the waterskins with water for the next person.

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 06:10 AM
There is no second floor to the building, nor is there for that matter any stairs to indicate such a thing. As the day winds down towards night you can all make yourselves ready for either sleep or first watch. You can eat your evenings provisions and prepare for the night ahead. Before you begin your night watch or anyone gets to sleep though you hear the clanking of armour and weapons replace the quiet sounds of the countryside at dusk.

(Evryone is awake, nobody has removed their armour or weapons yet).

NotANinja
2011-02-01, 06:13 AM
Clarissa followed into the building, and nodded happily when the halfling mentioned rest. She gave an disinterested glance around before she peered, mystified, at what Aria had to say. A second glance was spared at her surroundings, but she found herself quietly shaking her head. She would have initially guessed it was once a tavern built in such an idiotic spot that the proprietor had to give it up, but then she noted the neat stack of wood logs and the well-tended animal pen. But when the conversation evolved into shift work she groaned.

She replied grudgingly, “Fine. I'll get waken up and do the second shift just because this stupid haven isn't even in a good place. That hill overlooking us isn't, like, a good thing for defence, right?” Despite it being worded as an open question, her youthful but pale features turned to the veteran warrior that first mentioned the building's location.

Cespenar
2011-02-01, 06:37 AM
"No, not really," he says nonchalantly to Clarissa. "It just helps the enemy get closer to the building without us seeing."

As Warris notices the sounds, his head perks up visibly and his brows furrow with thought. He gestures at the others too, in case they hadn't heard it.

"I don't think the drow would make that much noise when assaulting a place. No, this must be a task force or something. A patrol, perhaps," he theorizes.

"Searil, you have the lightest feet among us. Can you check that out?"

bindin garoth
2011-02-01, 06:56 AM
Searil, getting ready for first shift, takes a walk around the building, glancing outside of each of the windows, gripping his swords tightly in response to the noise. 'Is this the drow?' he thougt to himself. 'Perhaps this is the beginning of my revenge...'spot check (if needed): [roll0]

NotANinja
2011-02-01, 07:25 AM
“Great, just great.”

Clarissa, her greatsword still huddled in the scabbard hanging on her right, tensed on hearing the clanking outside. She immediately started biting her thumb nail in worry, the casual response of being ambushed not helping her confidence. Firmly, she stayed rooted to her place beside the wooden log stack. Expectant glances were aimed at the other travellers. She watched in surprise as the halfling, above all others, bravely strolled out to meet the strangers.

Clarissa? Go out and investigate? Just like that? Nope!

bindin garoth
2011-02-01, 07:46 AM
Seeing the Crusader hesitate, Searil says Clarissa, don't worry, if we stick together everything'll be fine he says with a smile on his face.Watch my back for me, ok?

sazzer
2011-02-01, 07:54 AM
Seeing the chest, and hearing Aria's explaination of it, Lily replies with "Truly Boccob would be happy with such a gesture, the balance inherent in those who have leaving behind for those who need"

And then in response to Clarissa, "I suspect a place such as this was not built as a fortress, but rather as a rest stop. It seems unlikely they would be thinking of the best defended position, but rather the most convenient for travellers..."

And with the most wonderful Listen check that I had earlier, Lily probably hasn't even heard the noises from outside yet...

Dresil
2011-02-01, 12:59 PM
Aria hears the noises outside as well, and was in the middle of removing her longsword from her side. Scabbord still in hand, she simply lifts the blade from the sheath and lets the leather shell fall to the ground. Grabbing her shield from its resting place, her look of relaxation was replaced by one of controlled fury.

"Searil, I shall accompany you. Its too dangerous to go alone. If those who wish to harm us approach this house of refuge, they shall meet with nothing but a swift death."

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 02:08 PM
Leaving the building Searil can make out a group of four large humanoids, likely Ogres, bumbling through the night. Each carries a greatclub with it and they appear to be making their way down the road towards the building.

Initiative order.
-Party
-Ogres

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/g3526.png

bindin garoth
2011-02-01, 02:48 PM
Searil, seeing the orcs, quickly draws his blades and moves, getting ready for the counter attack.
Init roll: [roll0]
also note i'll be keeping Searil's stats in a spoiler in my signature

Dresil
2011-02-01, 03:11 PM
As Aria piles out of the shanty, she spots the beasts approaching.

Standing behind Searil she calls out, "Ogres! This is your one and only warning to leave us be. If you threaten us, we will respond in force!"

To Battle!

HP 72/72 Steely Pool 0/10
AC 25, Flat-Foot 24, Touch 11.

Initiative [roll0]

Manuvers and Stances

Stance taken: Martial Spirit. Every time I hit I can heal either myself or an ally within 30 feet.

Also my sword's Devoted Spirit ability activates, giving me a +3 to hit when I use a Devoted Spirit Manuver.

Maneuvers Granted
Rolling 3 granted maneuvers.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

1- Revitalizing Strike - Heal 3d6+7 to self or ally within 10 feet
2- Foehammer - +2d6 damage, overcome DR.
3- Bonecrusher- +4d6 damage, +10 to confirm critical.
4- Stone Bones- Gain DR 5/adamantine
5- Divine Surge- +8d8 damage

NotANinja
2011-02-01, 03:17 PM
Clarissa nodded slowly at Searil's words, even sceptically, doubting they were safe to trust in her, but certain she would be safe with them. When Lily explained the likelihood of the location, Clarissa only gawked, dumbfounded for a moment. She shrugged and plucked her teal coloured tunic self-consciously, quite aware that everyone else owned and wore armour when she only had to trust a trickster god would protect her. Three big gulps were quickly taken from her flask again. Her precious bottle was placed on the table beside her to assure it wouldn't be broken in the a fight.

“Okay. I'm right behind you. The both of you,” she reluctantly assured the courageous pair. “Lead and I'll do what I can.”

Initiative, and about my 'lack' of armour---------

Initiative: [roll0]

Despite what I'm describing in character, yes, she is wearing armour in terms of mechanics, it's just that it's glamoured/invisible to her. Kind of like a god's blessing to protect her. For the movement penalties, I'll excuse them as stuff like her drinking/being bad at swimming/etcetera.

sazzer
2011-02-01, 03:22 PM
Ogres? First Drow and now Ogres? So much for getting off my feet!

Grabbing her stuff, Lily hurries to the door to see whats going on

HP 43/43 AC 16, Flat-Foot 15, Touch 13

Dresil
2011-02-01, 03:24 PM
Since the beasts are too far away to engage at the moment, Aria just focuses on moving as far as possible to close the distance.

Double Move to L18

bindin garoth
2011-02-01, 03:33 PM
As he shifts slightly and readies himself, he saysLets make them come to us, it's more fun that way...
(move) draw both blades, (free) 5ft step to I15, (swift) switch to assassins stance, (standard) ready an action to target the first one to come within 60ft of me with shadow garrote.
ranged touch: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
target makes dc15 fort save or flat footed until next round.

NotANinja
2011-02-01, 03:56 PM
Clarissa quickly followed the braver blonde outdoors, and stopped some feet behind and to Aria's left. Staggeringly large forms loomed away from them. Clad in furs and hides, they effortlessly doubled her height, and they were armed. Clarissa suddenly felt like a mouse stupidly peeking out of its hole. A light tremor filled her arms as she drew her greatsword, but her ground was held defiantly. A small relief touched her when Searil said they shouldn't rush in. It gave precious seconds to calm herself, and she nodded hastily.

“Right!”

Stance (Stonefoot Stance) Action (Double Move)---------

Stance is Stonefoot Stance. (+2 Str checks, +2 AC vs large) We can't charge or flank at the moment, so I may as well be defensive.

Action is Double Move to J17.

Cespenar
2011-02-01, 04:20 PM
Warris curses under his breath as his companions gave away a perfectly good chance of an ambush. He sighs visibly, but recomposes himself.

"Okay people, form up. We can beat these brutes easily. Let them come to us. Just remember that their clubs can reach further than our blades."

Standard action to activate Inspire Courage. Move action to I16. Swift action to enter Iron Guard's Glare stance. I'll not resume with Inspire Courage, so it will last only 5 rounds.

Marshal auras are (which can be activated anytime before the battle as well) Motivate Attack and Motivate Dexterity.

So, totally, we all get:

+3 to Initiative and other Dexterity checks
+3 to attack rolls
+1 to damage rolls

When I start threatening those ogres, they will also get a -4 against the other party members, but not yet.

sazzer
2011-02-01, 05:32 PM
Following the others lead, but not quite as bravely, lily moves to be able to see what's happening and defend if necessary.

draw sword and move to I15

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 06:02 PM
The Ogres lurch forwards, two of them breaking into a charge at Aria and attempting to clobber her with their clubs. The first misses but the seconds blow hammers down hard upon her head. (13 damage to Aria) something seems strange about the Ogres though as they do not stride or run but move in strange stop start jerking motions. When the Ogres charged Aria, Searils shadow garrote snapped on the first Ogres neck but despite it showing signs of having wounded the beast it appears otherwise completely inconvenienced.
Before you can discuss the strangeness of these events though to more confusing things happen in close succession. The first is that a male drow comes screaming out of the trees to the east wielding a large axe. "For the spider queen!" he screams as he brings his weapon down upon Aria who narrowly dodges the blow. Almost as soon as the axe hits the ground the night falls into deathly quiet. The screams of the drow cease, your footsteps are non existant and Warris' instructions go unheard.
(Characters cannot speak to one another in their current positions. Furthermore spells with somatic components and other abilities that require speach automatically fail (though the buff from inspire courage will still remain for its duration) as do any listen checks)

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow+Ogres

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7271.png

NotANinja
2011-02-01, 06:33 PM
Clarissa watched, wide-eyed, as the ogres surged towards them, mountains of muscle and odour that stunk in her nose and struck at her ally. But Aris dodged expertly even while the drow's axe seemly slayed the very sounds around them. The orders that bolstered her spirit, the subtle clinking of armour, gone. Only Warris' initial words lingered with her. She glanced behind her again, just to confirm that she wasn't alone, wasn't abandoned. When she looked back to her looming foes, she frowned.

Aris was alone amid a sea of their hostility. Clarissa instantly felt a pang of guilt, in that yet another person was standing up against cruelty while she hesitated fearfully. Youthful, pale features tried to set into a hard determination that came across more like a childish pout. Not having anything else for a war face, she silently surged forward to slam into the drow that had come from the forest.

Action (Radiant Charge)---------

Stonefoot Stance. +2 Str checks, +2 AC vs Larger foes than me.

Charge at the drow right in front of me. End at L17.

A) Inspire Courage gives me a +1 bonus to attack and damage!
B) Charge lowers my AC by 2 but that should make it break even with my stance. Also a +2 to my attack.
C) If this hits and the drow is Evil, I get DR/- 10 for 1 round.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Radiant Charge: [roll2]

sazzer
2011-02-01, 06:37 PM
Lily stares straight at the drow. You make the sounds go away, I'll make your sight go away. Balance.

Using the Shadow Vision mystery on the drow.

Cespenar
2011-02-01, 07:06 PM
Warris watches with discomfort as the drow appears and bathes the area with magical silence through what seems like a magical weapon. It was true that tactical support often required one to talk, but Warris wouldn't be where he is now if it was his only forte.

So, as an opening, he charges at the drow, trying to impale him with his glaive. Regardless of the success of his attack, he continues his routine, and swings the blade of his long weapon in front of the drow's eyes, to give Clarissa an opening and perhaps a chance to strike him down.

Charge at the drow, ending in K16 (10' reach). Then, with his swift action, he initiates White Raven Tactics, giving Clarissa another round.

[roll0] (normally +12, charge +2, bard song +1)
[roll1] (Damage is to be multiplied by 2, due to Valorous Weapon)

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 07:14 PM
Between them Clarissa and Warris' charges drop the drow. He appears to screamn in pain but no sound comes out of his mouth as the silence persists. This is likely more unnerving than if you had actually been able to hear him. Spurred on by the drows death Clarissa gains a second wind and may act again (WRT).

Dresil
2011-02-01, 07:17 PM
Aria would have liked her blade to taste drow first, but she reasoned there would be plenty of time for that. Her sword may have been polished to a luster before, but at this moment it seemed to erupt in a virtuous white light, swinging down viciously at the Ogre!

Attack

Attack [roll0] (+3 from Devoted Spirit Stance, +3 from Inspire Courage, -5 from Power Attack)
Crit Confirm [roll1] (+3 from Devoted Spirit Stance, +3 from Inspire Courage, -5 from Power Attack)
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Divine Surge
Crit Damage [roll4]

If this attack lands, Searil heals 2 HP.

Maneuvers Readied:

Revitalizing Strike
Bonecrusher

Used:

Divine Surge

bindin garoth
2011-02-01, 07:40 PM
Searil, unwavering moves forward, turning seemingly invisible and moving forward. Slashes appear across several of the ogres before Searil appears infront of Aria. That show do some good damage to them,he thought to himself

Searil takes a swift action to use cloak of deception, turning invisible until the end of his turn. He then moves to M15, and activates paimon's dance of death ability, which allows you to attack everyone he moves past this round. He attacks Q4, then Q3, then Q1 while moving to M18. His attacks get a +2 for being invisible while attacking, +3 from the inspire courage and aura, the opponents are flat-footed, and he gets sneak attack.
attack1: [roll0]
damage:[roll1] + 1 con
sneak attack[roll2]

attack2: [roll3]
damage:[roll4] + 1 con
sneak: [roll5]

attack3: [roll6]
damage:[roll7] +1 con
sneak: [roll8]

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 08:01 PM
Aria's blow leaves the Ogre near death and it is finished off as Searil sweeps invisibly around slashing at the Ogres. Despite his best efforts though the blades slash lazily across the enemies flesh doing much less damage than he anticipated they would. As he strikes the final Ogre it falls to the ground like a sack of meat, one arm tearing off of its side and a thick slimy red ooze begins dripping from the holes in its body.

NotANinja
2011-02-01, 08:23 PM
Clarissa cringed as she watched the drow scream in silent agony, like some macabre mime. She felt a small tinge of pity for the dying man, but forced herself to look away, to the enemies that wouldn't care enough to kick dirt on her if she needed a burial. Feeling compelled to fight further due to Warris' commanding presence, she uncertainly stepped towards the nearest Ogre. Her greatsword started to shoot small sparks. This was before it suddenly erupted into blue lighting that danced around the blade in a staccato fashion, and only her outward confusion showed she had no idea what kind of devastating effect it would truly have. Even still, she swung the blade at its chest.

Yay another turn!

Five foot step to M16.

Attack Ogre 04.

B) Charge lowers my AC by 2 but that should make it break even with my stance.

Divine Surge: [roll2]

New maneuver because I forgot this roll to start:

[roll3]

Revitalizing Strike - Heal 3d6+7 to self or ally within 10 feet.
Wall of Blades - immediate action to use an attack roll to become AC.

Jair Barik
2011-02-02, 03:30 AM
The blow drops the second Ogre that, just as the one before him, crumbles to the ground without any sign of pain or emotion.

sazzer
2011-02-02, 04:43 AM
Noticing that everyone else is concentrating on the Ogres at the front, Lily instead concentrates on the Ogre at the back, attempting to drag heat from the Plane of Shadow to do her work.

Using the Black Fire mystery, igniting the 9 squares O17 -> Q19, and causing 4d6 damage to Ogres O2 and O3.

O2: [roll0]
O3: [roll1]

Jair Barik
2011-02-02, 06:01 AM
The flames burn both Ogres though the second one dodges the worst of it. The silence persists but now another feeling creeps upon you all. A sense of despair and weakness comes upon you despite your current advantage over the enemy (-1 penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws and skill checks). The first Ogre steps to the side and swings his club at Searil who easily dodges. The second Ogre then charges forwards swinging much too wide to have a chance of hitting Searil, it soon becomes clear though that he is not the target, as the weapon comes crashing down upon Aria (24 damage). Immediately after this you notice a second male drow upon you. He is probably screaming like the last one and almost certainly came from the trees but you cannot hear him. Despite his silent approach his axe is no match for Warris' armour and bounces harmlessly off of his platemail.

Intiative order.
-You guys
-Ogres+drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7271-1.png

bindin garoth
2011-02-02, 06:41 AM
Searil suddenly has a feeling of danger as chills go down his sppine. 'Calm down' he thnks, 'Focus like both master and Paimon have taught you many times before. Paimon, old friend and partner, guide me in the way of the blades as you have done so many times before, and lead these foes to their demise.' As he thinks this he focus on his blades and moves them in a wide arc. Then, with a sudden surge of power, the blades become like molten lava, and decend on the enemies in a furry of slashes. The smell of burning flesh is in the air...
Searil activates searing blade, addng 2d6 + 7 fire damage to each attack. He also uses the flashing sun maneuver taking a -2 to all attacks, but gaining an additional attack. All attacks are aimed at Q2:
Attack1:[roll0]
damage:[roll1] +1con
fire: [roll2]

Attack2:[roll3]
damage:[roll4]+1con
fire:[roll5]

Attack3:[roll6]
damage:[roll7]+1con
fire:[roll8]

Attack4:[roll9]
damage:[roll10]
fire:[roll11]
edit: had extra attack roll after spoiler by acident

NotANinja
2011-02-02, 07:27 AM
Clarissa frowned fiercely, the silence stifled her. She wanted to scream, or pray, or sing, or just to talk, but everything was an ugly emptiness. Raising the greatsword that was not truly hers to raise, her arm steady from frustration, she moved several feet towards the woods. Someone had to be sending these drow, she thought. But despite being half the size of the towering and disturbingly lifeless Ogre, their destruction like ripping apart manikins, she aimed a hammer blow into its stomach that an arm as slim as hers shouldn't have been able to make.

New Stance (Tactics of the Wolf) Action (five foot step + Elder Mountain Hammer)---------

Round 2:

Stance is now Tactics of the Wolf. We get +4 damage against flanked foes only.

Five foot step to M16. This way I flank the drow but am also flanked between them.

Attack Ogre 03.

B) -1 penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws and skill checks.

Elder Mountain Hammer: [roll2] overcome DR + hardness.

New maneuver next round:

Jair Barik
2011-02-02, 07:52 AM
The attacks of Searil and Clarissa, combined with the ongoing darkfire, is more than enoough to cut down both of the remaining Ogres. They stoicly fall into the flames, congealed blood dripping from their wounds as they collapse into the fire.

Cespenar
2011-02-02, 09:14 AM
Warris steps back just in time to avoid the ambushing drow's axe, wondering if there are more to come. The fact that the silence effect haven't died away with the drow hinted at a cleric of some kind, which might be watching the fight from someplace nearby.

So, a determined expression on his face, Warris lunges forward, trying to hook the legs of the drow to bring him down, and impale him on the ground.

After his strike, he gestures at his companions and waves to the nearby trees to their north, hoping to get them move.

5' step to the west, full attack. First attack is normal, second is a trip attempt, which, if successful, gives another attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2] (This is against touch AC)
[roll3] (Strength check for trip)

[roll4] (possible free attack)
[roll5]

Edit: Oh, forgot to add 4 to the free attack, because of the prone condition.
Edit2: Darn, forgot to add 4 to the damage rolls as well, due to Clarissa's stance. Remembering all these is hard work. :smallannoyed:

Jair Barik
2011-02-02, 09:35 AM
Warris manages a succesful jab at the drow, followed by a trip and another jab. He isn't quite dead yet though and still shows signs of life.

Dresil
2011-02-02, 01:04 PM
Its now Aria's turn to face the drow. A quick 5 foot step north brings her within reach of the vile elf, and as her sword swings with a vicious strike, she aims to finish the beast once and for all.

Attack the Drow using Revitalizing Strike. If it hits, both RS's healing and Martial Spirit come to me.

Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit Damage [roll3]
Elfbane [roll4]
Revitalizing Strike [roll5] +2 from Martial Spirit.

Also forgot +2 to hit and damage due to Furious Countrerstrike.

Maneuvers Granted

Since I forgot to roll last turn, and this turn I get a new granted Maneuver, I now have all five of my maneuvers accounted for.

Stone Bones
Foehammer
Bonecrusher

Revitalizing Strike
Divine Surge

Jair Barik
2011-02-03, 09:24 AM
Aria cuts down upon the drow but he is still not dead, though he appears near death.

sazzer
2011-02-03, 10:10 AM
Seeing the ogres and the drow go down, Lily quickly quenches the flames in case people start to ask difficult questions about them, and then hurries over to see what she can see from the tree line as to where more danger may be coming from.

Move to M15, and Spot check to see if I can see anything/anyone in the trees
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2011-02-03, 10:37 AM
As Lily walks past him the drow takes a swing at her from his position on the floor but misses completely Lily cannot make out any further forms in the forest but suddenly without warning a large creature with the appearance of a porcupine the size of a horse appears in front of her. A mane of quills runs along its back and its toothy maw opens wide as spittle flies across Lily's form. It is likely roaring or making some such nice but all continues in silence. The beast lunges at Lilly biting deep into her flesh with three of the quills from its main jabbing into her as well (Lily suffers 44 damage and is reduced to -1 hp. She is unconscious and must now take stabalisation checks). As Lilly falls limp in its maw two of the quills break off from the beast, skewering the unfortunate mage as she falls to the ground (lilly suffers a further -2 penalty to all attacks, saves and checks in addition to the ongoing -1 from the other source so long as the quills remain embedded in her). With its initial target down the quill beast begins scanning the area for further prey.

As the quill beast attacks Lilly the drow leaps up from his position on the floor in what appears to be a well practiced maneuver, landing on his feet with perfect ease (no AoO, v the drow) he then nimbly darts 5ft towards Warris getting to close for him to use his weapon effectively. Taking a bottle from his belt he drinks the contents and some of his wounds heal.

Initiative order
-Party
-Quill beast+drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7271-2.png

Dresil
2011-02-03, 11:27 AM
Aria takes another quick step north and engages the other drow. She can see her comrade has fallen, and begins to feel a sense of worry. Better to finish off these monsters quickly than dally about.

Aria's arms and sword glow with an immense light briefly as she brings her sword down upon the drow.

5-foot step north, then attack with Bonecrusher (and smite Evil if I can) on the last Drow.

[roll0] +3 if the Bard's song is still active, + 3 for Smite Evil.
Crit Confirm [roll1] +3 if the Bard's song is still active, + 3 for Smite Evil.

Damage [roll2] +1 Bard's Song +2 Smite Evil
Crit Damage [roll3] +1 Bard's Song +2 Smite Evil
Bonecrusher [roll4] Drow needs to make Fort Save DC 17 or all Crit Confirm threats are at +10.
Elfbane [roll5]

Heal 2 points to Lily if attack hits.

Maneuvers

Foehammer
Stone Bones

Bonecrusher
Revitalizing Strike
Divine Surge

Jair Barik
2011-02-03, 11:46 AM
The blow crushes the drow to death and the burst of energy stabalizes Lilly bringing her back into the land of the conscious (brought back up to 1 hp and can act).

NotANinja
2011-02-03, 01:09 PM
Clarissa's mouth went agape as the sudden monstrosity appeared, and Lily fell to the floor limply. Suddenly the unnatural silence was a comforting factor, for Clarissa avoided screaming in horror solely because her mind told her it would be futile. She advanced towards the monster. Oddly, she bumped into something, quickly blinked away her confusion, and moved around the seemingly empty spot. For the primary threat, she avoided looking anywhere near its eyes. Clarissa knew she wasn't strong enough to directly look into the face of such a twisted creature of quills and claws. But the creature lunged at her when she didn't look at it, knocking her down.

Action (major edits: Stance change + Move to O15 + Revitalizing Strike on Lily + free action to point at something)---------

Round 3:

Stance is now Stonefoot Stance (+2 Str, +2 AC vs large).

Edit: Move action to O15. Going East then East then North. 15 feet.

Attack Howler aka Q.

B) -1 penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws and skill checks.

Revitalizing Strike [roll2]

Heal Lily if I hit!!!

New maneuver next round:

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Elder Mountain Hammer - +6d6 damage, overcome DR + hardness.
Radiant Charge - +6d6 charge attack against Evil, +10 DR/- if it hits Evil.
Divine Surge- +8d8 damage.

bindin garoth
2011-02-03, 01:42 PM
Searil, stunned by the appearance of the huge monstrocity,quickly regans his focus. Worried he's running low on Ki, he runs forward, begging for paimon's help in dodging, and attacks the beast with most of his remaining ki and hoping that it does it's work... moves to N15, tumbling to avoid attacks of oppertunity while moving at full speed. Using obscuring veil strike.

+1 attack and damage from bardic music, -1 to attacks, damage, skills, and saves from enemy
tumble check vs DC 15 (-10 to check is included in roll)
[roll0]

attack roll:[roll1]
damage:[roll2]+1con
obscuring veil strike:[roll3]
opponent makes DC 16 fort save or suffer 50% miss chance on all attacks for 1 rnd
edit: didn't see Clarissa moving to O15, so changed from O15 to N15 for move, Looks like I provoke an attack of oppertunity

Jair Barik
2011-02-03, 01:57 PM
As Clarissa makes her way around the beast it snaps out with its teeth and grabs a hold of her leg, tripping her over so that she hits the ground (Clarissa is prone in N16) Searil then moves in and tries taking a more direct route but stumbles backwards slightly, as he does so the beast turns its mouth on him and easily knocks the little halfling to the ground (Searil is prone in M16).

@bindin garoth

as you attempt to move into N15 you run into an unseen object that prevents you moving onwards.

bindin garoth
2011-02-03, 05:20 PM
Searil, shocked and spent after that stunning knockdown, quickly points to the spot a few feet infront of him, and focuses his ki and uses it to teleport away to a point where he can strike from. He then taps his amultes, and feels a rush of energy flow through him. shadow jaunt to O16 and use the amulet of tears to gain twelve temp hp for 1 minute

Dresil
2011-02-03, 06:18 PM
Like a fortifying glaicier, Aria moves slowly but unwaveringly. Taking a step north-east (5' step to O15) she engages the foul creature, swinging her sword now to focus on the defensive.

Attacking using Stone Bones. If I hit I gain DR 5/Adamantine until my next turn.
If I hit Heal Lily for another 2 damage.

[roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit Damage [roll3]

Maneuvers

Only Foehammer left now.

Cespenar
2011-02-03, 06:34 PM
Warris' angry grumble goes unheard as he sees the creature ravage their front rank with relative ease. Vowing to change that, he jumps forward with a heavy momentum and tries to skewer the beast with one fluid maneuver.

Battle Leader's Charge on the beast, ending in L15.

[roll0]
[roll1] (Double this because of Valorous)

sazzer
2011-02-03, 07:25 PM
With a groan - that nobody can hear - lily collapses to the ground, blacking out for a moment before regaining consciousness to see the frightening beast in her face, and with it's quills still sticking out of her. Her first instinct is to get away from the thing, and get the quills out of her as soon as she can...

5' move (crawl) directly away from the beast, and if I can do so without further injury then pull the quills out of me

Jair Barik
2011-02-04, 02:47 AM
Warris' charge leaves a large gouge in the creatures body distracting it enough for Lilly to get a bit further away from it. As you watch though some of its wounds heal up, closing as the blood drains backwards back into the body. It's response is swift and bloody laying into Clarissa's knocked over body with its teeth and quills (45 damage total make two reflex saves) and mortally wounding her.

Looking at the quills lodged in her Lilly decides it is likely not a good idea to simply yank them out as that will probably cause further injury.

Initiative order
-Party
-Quill beast

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7275.png

bindin garoth
2011-02-04, 07:19 AM
Searil moves barely witihin range of the beast, readying his blades against the one who hurt his comrads so greatly. He then unleashes a storm of slashes with controlled fury, hoping to take the beast out as quick as possible. As he finishes his assult, he sniffs the air, and tries to recall anything important about the beast or the drow

5ft adjust to the north, full attack against the beast. I'm including the -1 an attacks and assuming the bards +1 to attacks is still in effect. If not, then subtract 1 from all attack rolls.

attack1:[roll0]
damage:[roll1]+1con

attack2:[roll2]
damage:[roll3]

attack3:[roll4]
damage[roll5]+1con

then as a swift action afterwards, I switch to hunters stance. How many enemies do I smell? If I smell more than the quill beast, do I have any idea where they are?

knowledge(planes) to see what I know about the beast: [roll6]
knowledge(planes) and knowledge(history) to see what I know about the spider queen and her history [roll7] and [roll8]

Cespenar
2011-02-04, 09:07 AM
Gritting his teeth against the persistence of the creature, Warris continues the fight with a flourishing, highly stylized move, hoping to instill and rally his companions.

Revitalizing Strike, healing Lily.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Jair Barik
2011-02-04, 09:20 AM
Searil's strikes are inaccurate with only the offhand striking its target, wounding the beast but only superficially. Warris on the other hand strikes with deadly precision, skewering the creature through the gut. It begins to fall limp then vanishes into thin air.

@bindin garoth

You smell a single drow, it is directly above your group.
You don't know what the monster was. On the topic of the spiderqueen you know that the followers of Lolth have been waging a bloody war against mankind and the other elves for as long as people can remember, predominantly the drow and spiderkind but other creatures join the ranks of Lolth as well.

Dresil
2011-02-04, 09:41 AM
Aria is quite thankful she is near Lily as she reaches over with her hands, forgetting the silence out of pure habit, and as her mouth moves a white shimmer and warmth emanates from her gloved palms.

Lily finds herself feeling a little better. (Laying on Hands for 6 hp.)

NotANinja
2011-02-04, 02:38 PM
Clarissa screamed silently when the beast snapped her leg and brought her low. Far from relaxing when Warris charged with his onerous lance to strike the beast, the quilled creature attacked her again, and only by a quick roll and suddenly snapping the greatsword up in a makeshift shield did she avoid more arrow-like quills and claws. But while the combined might of the halfling and human veteran downed the creature, she stayed on the floor, quietly sobbing. She didn't belong in this place with these people being attacked by these things. But she needed to atone. With a grimace, she rose, bleary-eyed, her weight mainly on her left leg – the one that wasn't bitten. A drink, she thought, and whipped her eyes. She needed a drink. Slowly, she half-hopped, half-walked, back to the cabin, glad to know the battle was decided and their opponents struck down.

Action (Double Move to rise from prone and move to J16)

Round 4:

Double Move, one to rise from prone, and assuming nothing happens like another attack from invisible foes, move action to J16. .

New maneuver next round:

[roll0]

sazzer
2011-02-04, 03:51 PM
Seeing the beast gone at last, and the effect it's had on Clarissa, Lily moves over to try and comfort her and see what little she can do to aid her before one of the more experienced members can tend to them properly, whilst scanning the tree line again in case there were more dangers to worry about. The fact that the silence spell was still in effect made her think that they weren't out of danger just yet...

Heal check: [roll0] [1d20 + 1, -1 from ongoing effect. -1 from quills still in me. -2 from results of attack
Spot check:[roll1] [1d20 + 9, -1 from ongoing effect. -1 from quills still in me. -2 from results of attack

Jair Barik
2011-02-04, 04:28 PM
Everything appears to be dead, it has been a hard fought battle but it seems victory is yours. The drow lie dead on the ground, the ogres corpses burn slightly, rot bizarely seeming to have already set in, and the quill beast has vanished, presumably dead. Yet the eerie silence remains... Those amongst you who are observant suddenly notice a female drow appear in mid air about twenty feet above Searil (P15) she appears to have just finished chanting something but what you cannot tell.

The drow woman wears an incredibly stylish and well made shirt of metal, made from what appear to be long black threads it forms an elegant spider pattern that decorates her body in contrast to her long flowing white hair.

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow priestess

@Cespenar

The only action you may take this round is to flee from the priestess as fast as possible. You must do this, you cannot stay where you are.

@Sazzer

You cannot act this turn you simply stand where you are babbling incoherantly.

@Dresil
You feel a malign presence try to take control of you but shrug it off.

@Bindin garoth

@Notaninja

NotANinja
2011-02-04, 06:05 PM
Clarissa smiled glumly when Lily tried to console her, and walked on. But she shuddered suddenly as she felt something probe and push around her thoughts, trying to change them into the will of another. But her ridiculous parents weren't ever allowed to get in her head, and neither was some skank that worshipped spiders. Clarissa quickly crushed all outside influences. She spent a quick moment glaring at the woman that hung suspended several above Searil, and ran-limped urgently into the Traveller's Rest. She fought her first impulse pick the flask from the wooden table. Instead, she tried to whistle, and cough, to make reassuring noise. She needed to know how far the false silence extended. It was, she thought, potentially important to their survival.

Action (Double Move move to I11 inside the house, free action to see if I can make noise, I need to know)

Round 5:

Double Move, and keep on walking. Go into the house and go to i11. .

Free action to try and make noise.

A) Inspire Courage gives me a +1 bonus to attack and damage! Last round for Inspire Courage. :smallfrown:

New maneuver next round:

Cespenar
2011-02-04, 06:40 PM
Suddenly, drow priestess!

Warris had his doubts ever since the spells came round after round like well thought moves of a chess player, but just as the woman appears and Warris readies himself to finish this once and for all, he feels the hostile tingling feeling of magic assaulting his mind. Despite his valiant effort, the priestess' magic proves too strong and he runs back, fleeing from the drow.

40' double move west.

bindin garoth
2011-02-04, 06:57 PM
Searil notices the drow woman and thinks 'finally, I can get some revenge.' He hears her chanting, and suddenly feels a terrible, dark assault against his mind. But he will not fall to this assault. No, his anger and rage against those who wronged him and his village will not allow it. He focuses his energies, preparing to go all out against the drow that he hates so much... He uses a full round action to renew one of his maneuvers. The one he renews depends on one thing. What type of axes did the drow who attacked before drop? If they were axes that can be thrown, then he will ready cloak of deception. Otherwise, he will ready shadow garrotte. He also switched stances, again depending on what type of axes they are. If they can be thrown, then he will go into assassins stance, otherwise child of shadow stance

Dresil
2011-02-04, 11:51 PM
Aria is simply overcome with anger. The foul Drow that finally shows herself that has threatened both her and her teammates must be stopped at ALL costs.

Once again that seeming divine energy or thereabouts just seems to erupt from her body, until she can stand it no more. She swings her sword around twice, and hurls it at the elf, knowing it is more or less futile in trying anything else, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Throwing my longsword as an improvised thrown weapon, using Foehammer while doing so. -4 for Imp. Thrown Weapon, and another -2 for the extra range penalty. the Bard song and bad vibes cancel each other out. Also using my Crusader Smite ability, or Smite Annoying as I call it (+3/+7) and Elfbane also activates for another +2/+2

If I hit, heal Lily for another 2 damage.

[roll0] Crit Chance [roll1]
Damage [roll2] Crit Damage [roll3]
Elfbane [roll4]
Foehammer [roll5]

Maneuvers Granted

All of my maneuvers have been used, so I get new ones!
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Stone Bones *
Bonecrusher
Divine Surge *
Revitalizing Strike *
Foehammer

Jair Barik
2011-02-05, 02:39 AM
Lily stands motionless opening and closing her moth repeatedly again and again. Aria's attempt to hit the priestess fails miserably and her weapon goes flying off into the trees. The axes are much too large to be thrown.

The priestess smiles at your foolish attempts and casts another spell. A mighty greatsword wreathed in black appears in front of Aria and begins pounding at her with all of its might. The first blow bounces of of her armour but it then comes round for a second attack, slicing her lethally across the neck (23 damage).

@Clarissa

Running into the house and jumping onto the table you discover that you are now out of the silence effect. However you cannot hear your allies and it is doubtful they can hear you from inside of it.

@Warris

You come to your senses and note that at some point you left the area of silence. Despite this you cannot hear your fellow party members and it is doubtful they can hear you. From here you can make out the sound of the priestess casting another spell.

@Lilly

Babbling uncontrollably worked out so well last round that you continue to do it this round too.

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7271-3.png

bindin garoth
2011-02-05, 05:47 AM
Searil, with a worried look moves back a little, careful to aviod the sword the drow summoned. 'This has gone to far,' he thinks. Quickly forming a plan, he points to the remaining party members outside and then points to the hut. Afterwards, with a quick glare towards the drow, he take the little ki he was able to recover and forms a noose around the drows neck, hoping to do as much damage as possible. All the meanwhile, shadows seem to form around him, offering him little protection.
Searil moves to L17 by first moving to O16 and then at an angle to N17 to avoid the sword. Because of his movement, he triggers his child of shadow stance, giving him 20% concealment. He then uses shadow garrotte against the drow.
-1 to attacks, damage, skills, and saves
Attack (touch): [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

NotANinja
2011-02-05, 11:39 AM
Clarissa sighed in relieve, and relished the sound of it. She glanced at the wooden walls, and open doorways, and judged at bare minimum she was thirty feet away from the flying priestess. Her plan would never work. Taking a deep breath, like she was about to go into the deep end of a pool, she re-entered the range of the magical silence. This time she limped through the rooms only to pause inside a doorway. Aria was now unarmed, had a nasty gash across the neck, a drow axe near her feet, and a greatsword that floated ominously before her. Lily looked like she had seen something so horrible she simply retreated into her mind. As Clarissa tried to make sense of the scene, she wondered if she hadn't avoided some terrible spell.

Action (Double Move through house to stop at L14; I would change to the charge stance for Warris, but it needs sound to work unfortunately)

Round 6:

Double Move to 14L. Stand in the doorway.

Free action to try and figure out what the heck happened.

A) No more Inspire Courage! This is the worse day ever.

New maneuvers next round:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Dresil
2011-02-05, 11:59 AM
Aria feeling dejected and useless, needs to reformulate her plan. Taking cover in the house, she uses a double move to get back into the house to regroup.

Double Move to I11.

Maneuvers
Divine Surge
Revitalizing Strike
Stone Bones

[roll0]
Inactive
Bonecrusher
Foehammer*

Cespenar
2011-02-05, 05:44 PM
Warris, who seems to have regained his senses, takes a few steps forward to the battle and tries to come up with a battle plan.

"Team, press forward! Don't give her a chance to heal!"

Move action to F16, Standard to Inspire Courage, to whomever that isn't in the silencing area. Swift action to activate Blurring enhancement on my armor, which grants Blur for 5 rounds.

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 02:34 AM
Searils garotte flies out towards the priestess and seems on target until it reflects off of some unseen barrier and harmlessly disipates in mid air. It is only Aria who actually hears Warris' speach and so only she and him benefit from it.

In retaliation the drow priestess wabes her hand at the annoying halfling and an explosion of violet light appears around him, clinging to both Searil and Lilly and rendering his shadows useless. Pointing at the halfling the sword changes course and moves towards him slacing twice at the plucky little flighter and hiting both times (11 damage).

@Cespenar

The only action Warris can perform this turn is to stand where he is and babble incoherently.

@Sazzer

Lilly may behave normally this turn.

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7275-1.png

NotANinja
2011-02-06, 04:26 AM
Clarissa went to surround the black-shrouded greatsword. She hesitated, disconcerted that there was clearly no wielder to strike at, so instead she attacked the centre of the blade. Quickly the tip of the greatsword she held was pointed at the enemy weapon in a challenge, but then looked at Lily and the halfling, and glanced purposefully at the priestess Clarissa could do absolutely nothing to stop.

Action (Swift action to change stance to Tactics of the Wolf, Move to N15 and flank, attack)

Round 7:

Swift action to change stance.
Move action to N16.
After flanking sword, attack it.

A) +2 on attack rolls flank bonus, +4 damage rolls against flanked opponent.

Revitalizing Strike [roll2]

Heal Lily!!

New maneuver next round:

[roll3]

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 04:59 AM
Clarissa's attack is completely ineffective. Her weapon seems to do nothing to the floating sword and the energies of healing fail to take any effect on Lilly.
In moving round to take up the flank the sword slices Clarissa across the face leaving a bloody gash (8 damage).

sazzer
2011-02-06, 05:22 AM
Recovering her senses just long enough, lily does the only thing that seems sensible to her at the time and runs away, back into the hut that they are outside.

Cespenar
2011-02-06, 05:47 AM
His mind relapsing into a state of magic-induced chaos, Warris stays where he is and mumbles unintelligible words.

Dresil
2011-02-06, 10:18 AM
Aria looks around for anything that can help fight the drow. Perhaps she overlooked a shortbow in the chest.

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 10:24 AM
All that is left in the chest after Searil took most of its contents are
-2 coils of 50ft rope
-12 torches
-2 sets of flint and steel
-2 waterskins
and the trail bar and coins that the group put in.

bindin garoth
2011-02-06, 11:35 AM
Searil, feeling despair, tries to throw his weapon, hoping one will hit, and that since it's physical and not made of ki, it would work. Then he withdraws a flask of alchemists fire, hoping to use it next round

5ft step to the south, ranged attack, throwng both short swords: -4 improvised, -2 range penalty, -1 aura
Attack1: [roll0]
damage:[roll1]+1con
withdraws a flask of alchemists fire from handy havardsack

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 12:13 PM
Searil's sword glides hopelessly past the priestess missing her completely. In response the sword moves in for the kill striking a firm hard blow across Searil's arm (6 damage). The priestess begins casting another spell and a large ape with red fur and horns appears behind Searil slashing at him with claws and teeth. Luckily only one of the claws hits but it hurts like the nine hells (9 damage).

Despite the danger of the situation all is not negative and you feel the lingering despair leave the air at last (no more -1 penalty to attacks, damage, saves and skill checks!)

@Cespenar

You relapse into a state of fear again. You must flee from the drow as fast as possible

@Sazzer

A state of madness suddenly takes over Lilly's mind. You must attack the closest creature to you regardless of its allegiance.

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7275-2.png

Dresil
2011-02-06, 12:31 PM
"Well, I was probably going to die for my cause anyways." Aria mutters as she starts charging to the window and takes a rather heroic (or stupid) dive through it, using her shield as a battering ram. She makes a mental note to leave an apology to the patrons of the house and a large donation to the church who were so kind to maintain it, as well as paying a few carpenters to install a new window. If there is any movement left in her after she does this, she continues to the treeline, looking for her sword.

bindin garoth
2011-02-06, 12:39 PM
'Damn it can't even run away and I've lost my best sword' Searil thhnks. 'And that those wounds hurt! It could be worse... Not by much but it could. We can't die here!' Searil tells himself as he fnally stops shaking, whih is what caused him to miss last turn. 'gotta keep them away from lily until she recovers, she's the only one with a real chance against that drow.' Now that he doesn't feel the oppressng despair that he use to, he turns his attenton to the ape, adjusting his stance slightly, and unleashes a burst of ki as he lashes out at the ape. activates amulet of tears, gaining +12 temp hp (2/3 charges used). He makes an offf-hand strike with obscurng shadow veil at the ape, hoping to mess up it's vision temporarely.
attack:[roll0]
threaten crit[roll1]
damage[roll2]
obscurng shadow damage:[roll3]
fort save dc16 or the ape suffers a 50% miss chance aganst all foes next turn

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 12:51 PM
Aria comes crashing noisily through the window (not that those in the silenced area can hear her) and makes it a further ten feet towards the treeline from the window sill.

Searil's sword strikes the large ape leaving a deep gash, the shadows gripping to the creatures flesh and obscuring its face. However despite the accuracy of the blow Searil can feel some of the force deflected by the creatures skin.

[roll0]

NotANinja
2011-02-06, 01:30 PM
Even with her slash sailing harmlessly through the greatsword and receiving a gash across her cheek in answer, Clarissa's spirit no longer felt oppressed. A glum effect had worn off. She noted that while the sword had moved on its own, the drow warrior hadn't. The priestess had been busy casting and this warrior had forgone any retaliation against them. With suspicion painted across her face, she ignored the oddly mindless enemy for the one baring down on the brave halfling. Exposing herself again to the wraith of the greatsword forged from darkness, she rushed past it to stand side by side with Searil. She slashed at the wide girth of the ape before them both.

Action (change stance to Stonefoot Stance again, move to O18, attack)

Round 7:

Swift action to change stance.
Move to O18, provoking an AoO from the floating greatsword and the drow.
Attack big red ape.

Elder Mountain Hammer [roll2] overcomes DR + hardness.

New maneuver next round:

[roll3]

Cespenar
2011-02-06, 01:31 PM
Warris, as the random nature of the magic affects him, panics and runs to hide behind the building.

Ugh... double move to E9 or something. I don't know.

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 02:15 PM
Before she moves to deal with the ape Clarissa is intercepted by Lilly who with a look of madness on her face strikes her friend with her sword (4 damage). Clarissa can still move to attack the ape though but both sword and ape take shots at her as she moves. The ape is slow and clumsy missing the armoured warrior but the sword continues with its display of accuracy stabbing her in the leg (8 damage). Her suffering is not in vain though and Clarissa's mighty blow slices the ape in twain causing it to vanish into thin air.

It is at this point that the silence effect finally comes to an end and the priestess flies down from the air and moves next to Clarrisa taking a path that avoids her until she is engaged in combat. Adopting a defensive stance the priestess begins casting and very nearly fumbles her words. Reaching out a hand she touches Clarissa's armour and a vile chill fills her body, she feels weakened and her eye sight fades as a burning sensation strikes her head (2 strength damage and Clarissa is blinded). The floating sword continues its assualt landing another blow on Searil (10 damage).

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow

@Cespenar

Rather than keep running Warris decides its time to stand still and start babbling to himself again.

@Sazzer

Psychotic rage continues to fill Lilly. She must move and attack whoever is closest to her.

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7271-4.png

NotANinja
2011-02-06, 03:00 PM
Clarissa's mouth went agape. She felt speechless, despite the faded silence, and wondered at how one of the last sights she should see was of being attacked by a person she had been comforted by not more than ten minutes ago. Her weapon was lowered slightly. She reminded herself that a god overlooked her, even though it was an unreliable one, but that blindness and weakness had still been visited upon her. She thought instantly of all the animals, towns and villagers that had no gods or weapons to rely on, that had been butchered without provocation. The whole reason anyone had to fight the drow now.

“Stop,” she said with suddenly gentle despondence. “We're not your enemy. We never were. Just...stop.”

Action (Diplomacy)

Round 9:

Diplomacy [roll0]

Meh, why not?

New maneuvers next round:

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dresil
2011-02-06, 03:22 PM
Aria continues looking for her sword, moving around and just simply looking, not really paying attention to whats going on with the drow until she can find her sword to properly have a chat with it.

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 03:26 PM
"Very well! Call of your dogs and I shall be on my way. You were not my intended target anyway, you have delayed me but much innocent blood shall be shed before the night is up!"

Spending her time searching Aria will eventually find her sword underneath one of the trees (Aria moves to R12, finds her sword in R13) the sword is still on the floor, she cannot take further actions this round.

NotANinja
2011-02-06, 03:35 PM
Clarissa nodded slowly and kept her anger inwards. Easily, she said, “Of course; your target isn't our concern. We were simply defending ourselves. But my eyes are going to need a little help.” She kept her face impassive. “Spare me a spell from your mighty goddess to remove the darkness, and my mongrels will be pushed aside. A small price to do whatever you wish.”

Action (Bluff)

Hey, I'm Chaotic Good. Lying comes with the territory. This should be convincing enough.

Bluff [roll0]

bindin garoth
2011-02-06, 03:38 PM
Searil, stunned by what has just happened, stumbles back and slowly puts away his sword and alchemists fire. He can't believe it, they're this strong? His most hated enemy, letting them live? Am I this powerless against them? This weak? Why am I not stronger? Searil is full of doubt, and his face clearly shows it. He stands there, staring at the ground.
Searil takes a 5ft adjust to M19, and puts away his sword and alchemists fire.

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 03:44 PM
The drow laughs.
"Ha! It is no curse I have afflicted you with fool! It is not in my power to remove what I have bestowed upon you. I believe in your tongue they call it 'the blinding sickness'"

Whilst you are talking Lilly creeps up on Clarissa and stabs her in the back with her sword but the blow reflects off of her armour. She then begins babbling incoherently (as does Warris, though from this distance it is unlikely anyone can hear him). The drow clutches a ceremonial dagger in one hand keeping a close eye upon Clarissa in case something happens.

The magic sword continues on its rounds unconcerned with current events and stabs Searil in the back (4 damage).

Initiative
-Party
-Drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7275-4.png

NotANinja
2011-02-06, 04:22 PM
Clarissa chuckled softly, apparently uncaring of the sounds of the greatsword swinging itself, probably at the male halfling. But on being attacked again by Lily, she sighed irritably. She wondered why Aria and Warris weren't charging down the damned priestess and cutting her cruel head off.

“Well, can you do anything for Lily here?” she asked, conversationally, and gestured behind her, where Clarissa heard Lily gibbering. “Women are too important to be left like this. Might we also make up for wasted time? We are skilled at slaughter; the woman in the woods especially so. Take a second for her to arrive, and we will show how to spill much blood for Lolth's great cause, and you will be sent on your way. An easy exchange.”

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 04:42 PM
"No I cannot do anything for your friend. You will stay here and your allies will back off back down the road. When they are out of sight I will leave you. The woman in the woods is not to take another step towards us." The drow woman is cold and calculating, watching everything going on and keeping an eye out for any treachery.

Dresil
2011-02-06, 04:45 PM
Aria picks up her sword and begins moving south, toward the drow. If she charged her most potent strikes would be useless.

NotANinja
2011-02-06, 04:46 PM
But I beat the DC you set for sense motive? It's a lucky roll...after I got a string of really unlucky fortitude saves (and wall of blades); why isn't my good roll being counted in our favour when the bad are counted against?

NotANinja
2011-02-06, 05:08 PM
Clarissa nodded on hearing the demands, and smiled sadly when the reassuring clank of heavy armour approached. The sound of more inevitable deaths. “You're pretty wise, drow. Probably wise enough to recognize the blind leading the blind.” Her sword was raised defensively.

Round 10:

Standard action for Total Defence. Improved AC and waiting for Aria.

New maneuver next round:

[roll0]

Dresil
2011-02-06, 06:32 PM
"And let you spill innocent blood, like you stated? I cannot allow that to happen. If you would like to show your Spider Queen faith you would love to spill my blood instead."

She continues to walk south.

Jair Barik
2011-02-07, 04:32 AM
As Aria approaches the drow stabs Searil in the chest with her dagger (3 damage+fort save). She then proceeds to move backwards away from the group and casts another spell. An explosion of sound erupts amongst the party deafening you in a cacophony of noise (Lilly takes 3 damage, Searil takes 4, aria takes 7 and Clarissa takes 4, all of you make a fort save). The sword then stabs and jabs at Searil once more (wether it hits or not depends on the results of your fort saves). Lilly continues to babble incherently.

@Cespenar

This round you have to attack the nearest living creature.

Initaitive
-Party
-Drow

Map
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7275-5.png

bindin garoth
2011-02-07, 06:49 AM
Searil, still stunned by his weakness, is stabbed in the chest and suddenly feels his vision blurring. 'What the...' is the last thought he has before toppling forward and falling right into a slash from the conjured sword, leaving a great gash across his chest and resulting in him hitting the ground face-first.

Cespenar
2011-02-07, 12:45 PM
Warris, still enchanted, runs toward the battle with an artificial frenzy.

Double move to G16.

Dresil
2011-02-07, 02:40 PM
Aria reels from the damage, but closes the distance with the drow, her sword burning with the power of the sun.

"In the name of Pelor, and all who stand for Good, I send thee to the depths of the Nine Hells where you belong! Begone, foul Drow from this plane and never return!"

Her sword swings at the drow with all her might, swiping through with holy power.

Using Divine Surge and Furious Counterstrike, Martial Spirit healing me for 2 hp if I hit.

[roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit Damage [roll3]
Elfbane [roll4]
Divine Surge [roll5]

Maneuvers
Stone Bones
Divine Surge
Foehammer
Bonecrusher
Revitalizing Strike

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/1332/original/roflbot-ZfY6_2_.jpg?1273974755

Jair Barik
2011-02-07, 06:10 PM
Aria's attack misses the priestess horribly as Searil hits the ground falling unconscious. The priestess seems to direct the blade to find a new target and it turns upon the blinded Clarissa, striking her twice in spite of her trying her best to defend (14 damage). The priestess then proceeds to cast another spell, adopting a defemsive pose so that Aria has no opportunity to strike her. Reaching out she lightly places one hand upon the crusaders chest and dark energy surges through her armour chilling her to the bone (30 damage, halved on a DC21 will save).

@cespenar

This round is flee from the priestess as fast as you can.

@sazzer

This round is flee from the priestess as fast as you can.

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7271-5.png

Dresil
2011-02-07, 06:27 PM
Aria growls like a wounded dragoness after feeling the Drow witch's touch. Her sword continues to blaze with power, yet it seems to shimmer from one aura to another.

"My will is stronger than yours, Drow, and I shall have it known that you cannot stop me, for I am guided by a higher power! Even the blood that I spill from your wounds invigorates me!"

Attack the Drow using Revitalizing strike, aimed to me if I hit, as well as Martial Spirit. Furious Counterstrike gives me +2/+2 this round.

[roll0]
[roll1] Crit Confirm
[roll2]
[roll3] Crit Damage
[roll4] Elfbane
[roll5] Revitalizing Strike

Maneuvers
R. Strike
Divine Surge
Foehammer
Bonecrusher
Stone Bones

Jair Barik
2011-02-07, 06:43 PM
The sword comes crashing down upon the drow with its full force, mortally wounding her and leaving a bloody gash in her side. Despite this though she still fights on.

Cespenar
2011-02-07, 07:06 PM
Warris flees.

Back to E9.

Jair Barik
2011-02-08, 05:58 AM
Lilly runs for it and Clarissa remains on the defensive. In retaliation for the sword blow the priestess touches Aria's armour a second time and once more the dark chill of negative energy flows through her body(19 damage halved on DC20 will save). The sword continues to rattle Clarissa's armour (19 damage) but both Lilly and Warris finally feel the effect of the dark magic leave their minds for good.

Initiative order
-Party
-Drow

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7275-6.png

sazzer
2011-02-08, 10:01 AM
Coming to her senses, Lily realises she is quite a distance from the others and turns round to try and help out again if she can

Double Move to S18

Dresil
2011-02-08, 10:26 AM
A chill runs through Aria's spine as the priestess touches her again, but the warmth of Pelor will be more than enough to guide her.

"Hear me now, Drow, your foul magic shall course through your veins no more, once I let the last of the blood out! May Pelor's comfort be greater than my own in the next life!"

Bonecrusher + Furious Counterstrike. Heal Clarissa 2 if I hit.

[roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit Damage [roll3]
Elfbane [roll4]
Bonecrusher [roll5]

Manuevers
Revitalizing Strike
Divine Surge
Bonecrusher
Foehammer
Stone Bones

Jair Barik
2011-02-08, 01:54 PM
As the blow strikes her the drow screams in pain and drops motionless to the ground, the floating sword winks out of existance and the sound of battle falls to a sudden silence. Not the magical silence that surrounded you all earlier but the silence of night time, the silence that marks the end of battle. After about a minute Searil will wake from his unconscius state and the party will be safe once more, for the time being at least.

[roll0] [roll1]

(OOC: End of combat party drops out of initiative order)
1170 xp each

Dresil
2011-02-08, 03:23 PM
Aria drops to her knees, places a gold piece in the drow's mouth, then begins to search the corpse. (Take 20 if need be.) "Perhaps she has some potions of healing on her, or the like. Would anyone help me bury her?"

Jair Barik
2011-02-08, 03:34 PM
The priestess has a number of belongings upon her. Easily the most interesting of these are her mithril shirt (well detailed it is of exceptional quality and appears to have had black silk threads interwoven amongst the chain links) a journal and a scroll case with a single document inside of it. She also has...
-2 bottles of an unkown liquid
-a dagger of exceptional quality
-an ornate pointed stick carved of a silvery wood (likely a wand)
-a light steel shield of exceptional quality
-a light mace
-a pair of fine black silk gloves
-a necklace adorned with a spider and decorated with ruby inlays
-a ring of similar design (the clasp consisting of eight spider legs that curl round the finger and meet underneath, forming the ring.
-a handful of onyx stones
and a symbol depicting what you believe to be the holy symbol of the spider God Lolth.

bindin garoth
2011-02-08, 03:52 PM
Searil finall wakes up, feeling weak and numb.Stupid drowHe mumbles, then he looks up and sees the dead drow and Aria looking over he body for items.You killed it?He says with curiosity and is clearly impressed. He gathers himself together and walks over to the body and helps Aria with searching the body. Upon seeing the bright gleem of the dagger, he holds it up and inspects itThis looks pretty good. Anyone else need it?He asks, while also taking a long look around to look for his missing weapon

Jair Barik
2011-02-08, 03:53 PM
A little time spent searching will allow Searil to locate his lost weapon lying underneath the trees after it missed the flying drow.

bindin garoth
2011-02-08, 03:56 PM
Searil, finally noticing his sword, walks over and picks up his sword and sheaths it. He then walks over to one of the male drow that ambushed them and searches the corpse. Taking 20 if needed.

Jair Barik
2011-02-08, 04:11 PM
Between them the two drow men have
-2 well made breastplates
-2 well made great axes
-2 well made composite longbows
-8 arrows with adamantine heads
-8 arrows with cold iron heads
-8 arrows with with silvered heads
-[roll0] silver pieces
-8 more bottles of coloured liquid. Each of these bears a rune on it in a language you don't recognise, there are two different runes, 4 of the bottles have one, 4 of the bottles have the other.

The ogres are already well into necrosis and are starting to stink the place up. Each of them has a greatclub and a javelin but these are of a poor quality and too big for any of you to actually use.

Dresil
2011-02-08, 04:34 PM
"Can anyone identify these belongings? Sadly I am not as knowledgeable at these things, and if they are of use to us I would not know. Otherwise, perhaps we can give a portion of the proceeds to a charitable cause."

Aria will put everything she found into a small pile, and set about either gathering wood for a funeral pyre, or finding an easy way to dig a few graves. By her logic, she would assume the easiest thing would be chop down a tree and set everyone in to be cremated.

"Oof, I am going to be quite sore in the morning."

Cespenar
2011-02-08, 05:28 PM
Warris wanders back to the party, holding his head.

"Curse that drow and her magic..." he mumbles. Though anger can be felt from his tone, he is also content to finally be free of the spell that has been affecting him. He blinks a couple of times as he gazes upon the body of the priestess.

"Great job, people," he says, grinning heartily.

bindin garoth
2011-02-08, 07:20 PM
Well i've been working on learning about weapons and aromor just by focusing on them. I; working on it and have come far but am still falling short. Iim hoping I'll master it soon, though... Searil says with a slght look of disappointment.

Cespenar
2011-02-09, 05:24 AM
A practical person at heart, Warris gets the longbow from one of the drow and half of each set of arrows. After checking out the weapon briefly, he slings it over his shoulder. He points to the other bow.

"Someone should get that, in case we fare against such opponents again."

He eyes the potions as well, waiting to see if there's someone who can identify the runes on them.

NotANinja
2011-02-09, 05:45 AM
When the sounds of battle faded, Clarissa sighed. The greatsword was gingerly, and uncertainly, placed back into the sheath. She sat down on the spot she and merely listened while she took a calming breath. Her hand was raised in front of her face, and waved sidewards before blank eyes, flipped from palm too the back of her hand, and back again slowly. Nothing but black.

“Um, how long is magic supposed to last? It fades eventually – right?”

Jair Barik
2011-02-09, 05:58 AM
The runes on the potions are unfortunately unrecognisable to anyone in the party. The letter in the scroll case and the diary however are both written in common, a language everyone can understand (though for now someone will have to read it outloud for Clarissa.

The letter is headed with four stamps. Three of these overlap one another and are yellow red and black, they appear to bare the same image but it is unrecognisable as anything in particular. The fourth wax stamp is green and bares the image of a cowled figure rowing a boat.
The letter reads as follows.
Styx Oarsman
It is as you expected. A source here confirms that the goddess is on the move. Attack and kill her enemies without pause or mercy.

I've learned the location of a portal for you. It leads from the marketplace of this great city into a set of caverns situated in an underpopulated area of the Material Plane. I do not know if it works both ways.
(here a side note interjects in the border of the main letter) A bent piece of iron works-a horse shoe or a lizards bridle. (the letter then continues)
I shall continue to find out more information and leave it for you at the Oarsman. Have your messenger present this letter.
The letter is unsigned.

sazzer
2011-02-09, 06:17 AM
I'll take the other bow, unless anyone else really wants it? After that, I'd not want to be left unable to defend myself against one such as her again!

And after hearing/reading the letter, That sounds omnious. Portals between planes of existence can be very bad things indeed!

Can I do a Knowledge (Planes) check to see if anything from the letter means more to me than the obvious? [roll0]

Jair Barik
2011-02-09, 08:42 AM
@Sazzer

The city could be any number of cities throughout the planes. The city of brass in the elemental plane of fire, the city of glass in the plane of water, Zelatar or Naratyr are both possibilitys considering that they are in the Abyss and thus close to the river styx, perhaps some extraplanar drow city, the city of minauros or the city of jangling hiter in the nine hells, Sigil in the outlands or Malsheem in the ninth layer of the nine hells where the styx is rumoured to reach.

bindin garoth
2011-02-09, 09:49 AM
Hmm.... Interesting. I'm not only intersted in the portal, but what about the styx oarsman? And what do these mean to them? Searil says with a look of fous on his face, as if trying to recal something
rolling knowledge(history) for styx oarsman:
[roll0]
knowledge(planes) for portal[roll1]

sazzer
2011-02-09, 09:54 AM
The River Styx flows through the Abyss, and I've heard rumours that it might flow all the way to Malsheem. Neither of those are places I'd recommend you going if you could avoid it...

Jair Barik
2011-02-09, 11:12 AM
@bindin garoth

You cannot recall anything about either of these subjects.

Reading the journal gleams a few interesting pieces of information. In general it simply describes the drows life. From it you learn her name was Lithara but there is very little that is of use, most of the diary describing the worship of Lolth and other such things. The last entry however has an interesting note in the margin.

Rule-Of-Three of Sigil intrigues me as few others have. As he would say: a riddle, an enigma, a puzzle. Regardless of his ultimate loyalty (impossible to determine), he would make a fine sacrifice to honor the Spider Queen.

bindin garoth
2011-02-09, 06:19 PM
So, what do you all thnk we should do? Perhaps after getting rest, we go in the direct they were coming from? They may of come from this portal or caves this letter speaks of.Searil chimes in And what about this suff? Keep it to sell or donate later? Acctaully, it might not be a bad idea to go back to town, sell the stuff, and use the money to get Clarrisa's blindness cured and buy some potions to help with poison and wounds and the like.Searil says after glancing at Clarrisa

Jair Barik
2011-02-10, 03:55 PM
It is getting on towards night now but Aria can take wood from the wood stack on the western face of the building with which to make a fire to burn the bodies in. Though blinded Clarissa can still make out where people are and the rough lay of the land (the blinding is not complete and she can still hear). On the matter of the bows Warris will find that despite being a useful ranged weapon the bow is incapable of making full use of his strength (both bows are composite longbows with a max strength bonus of +2).

Dresil
2011-02-10, 04:06 PM
Aria will work on that for the night and come in when the deed is finished. Whether or not anything they looted could be of value she does not know, but could really use a potion.

bindin garoth
2011-02-10, 04:42 PM
Searil will take everything of value if noone else takes anything, hoping they can go and sell it tomorrow. He then stays outside with aria until she comes inside, keeping an eye out for trouble Why? Why do this for them? They don't deserve it! searil says, with clear hate in his eyes

sazzer
2011-02-10, 05:22 PM
We've already had a run in with them. We should work out who's sitting watch in case more come this way

Dresil
2011-02-10, 05:48 PM
"Ripping a life from the mortal coil is a hellraising thing, and unless restitution is made then the ghosts of those you meet in battle one would never have any night of full rest."

Aria has no care or compassion in her eyes, but as she strikes the tinder to start the fire, she begins muttering the last rites of a warrior.

bindin garoth
2011-02-10, 06:19 PM
Sorry about that, me and drow..... Have a past. Sorry if I offened your beliefs. Searil says. Just then he hears Warris.Wanna keep the same shifts from before? Me and aria first, you and clarissa second?

NotANinja
2011-02-10, 06:42 PM
“Put another way, Searil,” Clarissa interjected cheerfully, “the drow stank up the place in life, and now they're burned they stink up the place in death. It creates a certain karma that keeps them happy enough not to haunt us.” She still sat in place, but now turned towards the form she observed to the best of her now limited sense, whom from the conversation was clearly enough Aria.

bindin garoth
2011-02-10, 07:01 PM
Ah ok. That makes sense, sorry for my misunderstanding. Perhaps I'll say a few words too. Searil says with a look of regret. He walks over to the flames, mutters a few things that he would think the words of a rite would include, and walks away. He turns around and stares at the flames for a few moments, considering what it stands for before saying Well, shall we get ready for bed? I'm sure we could all use the rest, especially after what we just went through. Anyone want a sip? Its only water, but hey, better than nothing. He says as he takes a sip from the said mug and walks up to Clarissa to help her up and guide her to the house.

sazzer
2011-02-10, 07:21 PM
with a slight smile at Clarissa's comment, Lily replies with There is a sense of balance in that

Cespenar
2011-02-11, 03:05 AM
Warris keeps quiet as his companions speak about the dead. His thoughts about the issue, if spoken, would certainly disturb some of them, and knowing that, Warris had the decency to be silent. Leaning on his long weapon, he surveys the battlefield another time, and sighs.

He nods to Searil as she asks about the shifts.

"Let's have a talk about the letter and the journal in the morning. We should at least have some ground theories about what's going on, and can decide our next move according to that."

Jair Barik
2011-02-11, 09:30 AM
The party can rest for the night, the fires outside burning on into the early hours of day. With the two shifts nobody notices any further intruders in the night and you awake safely for the next days travelling (8 hours of rest, all heal 9hp, Clarissa regains 1 point of strength)

bindin garoth
2011-02-11, 09:49 AM
After taking a quick bite of breakfast, searil quickly gets up and saysAlright, I gotta go take care of a few things, but I'll be back in about half an hour? It's just part of my daily mourning ritual. Just something I gotta do. as he rushes out the door before anyone can say anything. He seems to be slightly nervous, in fact he's seemed a bit tense all mourning...

@Jair Barick
Searil is rushing to the woods to bind paimon and change his readed maneuvers, he wants to keep his binding a secret, especially not knowing how the crusaders would take it.
binding check: [roll0]
edit: under paimons influence again

Dresil
2011-02-11, 11:39 AM
Aria spends a few minutes polishing her blade, and sharpening her mind to ready her own maneuvers for the day, after that she will polish off a trail bar to be set for travel.

Maneuvers

Changed Maneuvers to:

Crusader's Strike
Foehammer
Revitalizing Strike
Divine Surge
Bonecrusher

bindin garoth
2011-02-12, 11:13 AM
Searil finally walks back from the woods, seemingly back to his normal self, saying Alright, so is everyone bout ready to go? He says,, clearely anxious to get going and continue on their journy against the drow.

Dresil
2011-02-12, 12:03 PM
"We walk sure and stead foot as we bring swift death to Evil."

bindin garoth
2011-02-12, 12:16 PM
Alright Aria, that's the spirt! Hey Clarissa, hows the blndness? And whhat do you all think about going into town to sell this stuff, cure Clarssa, and get some potions and such, or maybe a better ranged weapon of sorts? Searil says, feeling energized and ready to go, and also thinking it might be wise, even though it'd delay them by a day or so.

sazzer
2011-02-12, 12:56 PM
Walk all the way out here to walk all the way back into town to walk all the way back here again? Maybe horses or something would had been a better idea...

bindin garoth
2011-02-12, 01:13 PM
True, but what else could we do? We can't really afford to continue on with Clarissa like this, and if anything, that last battle proved we need everyone at their best. We might be able to get a horse for the ride back though, depending on how much this all sells for. It might not be a bad idea to have someone in the city identify this stuff first, I don't want to get ripped off by anyone. Searil says. He's hoping that by doing this, the can be ready for the next battle with the drow, and maybe things will go differently. 'Last time was wayyyy too close' Searil thinks, as his head flashes through the events, perticularly when he was stabbed in the chest by that drow...

Cespenar
2011-02-12, 05:24 PM
"If anything, we can't go on further with Clarissa's persisting blindness. Though it would take some time, we should head back."

Jair Barik
2011-02-14, 06:08 PM
It is early morning and you could easily make it back to town in a day if you set out now.

Dresil
2011-02-14, 07:04 PM
"Heading back sounds like a great idea." Aria chirps in, "It looks as if we were a bit unprepared."

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 09:25 AM
The group make their way back to town unmolested with no further drow attacks interrupting the journey. By the time you arrive it is late afternoon but most of the shops and the local temple are all still open.

(OOC:No reply back from NotaNinja about her decision to leave the game. I have another player getting ready to join as a Cleric/radiant servant of Pelor and am happy to run the game for 6 players assuming Ninja decides to stick with us)

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 09:39 AM
Alright, finally back. Let's get this stuff identified and appraised. I'm curious about this stuff and if its any good.Searil says with a smile on his face. He's obviously glad to be back in civilization, and excited about their stuff.

Dresil
2011-02-15, 11:49 AM
Aria will offer up taking the chain shirt she carries to see if its worth much of anything after she finds a carpenter who will install a new window in a certain rest house.

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 12:46 PM
Well, lets see what everything is worth first. We'll definitely get the window repaired after we see what everything is worth, and then use the remaining supplies to buy stuff so that we aren't as ill-prepared as we were before.Searil says as he walks into town, looking for the nearest appraiser to see what all of their stuff is worth.

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 12:49 PM
Aria
You can happily find a carpenter (as a frontier town there is no shortage) but he seems disinterested by your request.
"Nay. What wit all the damage o' late I can't say I'll be able to sort that any time soon. I imagine the Fharlangan worshipers will fix it up in their own time."

Searching for someone capable of identifying the loot there is a lone Wizard in town by the name of Aelfric. He is a reclusive fellow but the villagers have found that in times of need he is willing to help...for the right price that is.
There is also a pair of Clerics who run the local temple to Pelor that go by the names of Sein and Char.

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 01:12 PM
Alright! Searil says as he walks up to Aelfric's door. He knocks on the door and saysAelfric, I heard that you're a Wizard who could identify these magical objects? We really could use the help, and once we sell the stuff, we could use the money we get to pay you back.

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 01:22 PM
Opening the door a bleary eyed scholar stares the halfling in the face as he speaks. Once the hlafling has concluded what he has to say he slams the door in Searil's face and shouts at him from the other side.

"Piss orf an leave me alone ya bloody fool! You any idea what time it is?! Can't a wizard get any peace round these parts!? I weren't born yesterday ya little sod! I work out what your rubbish is for you and then you disappear into the night an I never see hide nor hair of you again! Where in the nine hells do ya think your gonna find someone to sell whatever garbage you have to in a barren little place like this! Damnable adventurers! Why in the infinite layers of the Abyss did you think I came to a secluded place like this in the first place!?"

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 01:28 PM
I can't believe I'm about to do this.... Searil mumbles as he says Sir, I'm in a desperate. I'm willing to offer 100gp, in addition to using whatever we can sell it for to pay for any materials used in identifying the items. Searil says, hoping this will get the wizards attention.

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 01:34 PM
"One hundred up front, another hundred for each item you want identified and one hundred an fifty for every item that goes past the first four. No loans, money up front, first four items I can do in about a minute, everything else you'll have to come back for in the morning cause they'll take an hour each."

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 01:47 PM
Sir, I don't and can't afford to offer that much. But here's what I will offer. Right here I have a well-made battle axe that you could sell, its possible magical. Assuming that its ok with everyone else, I'd offer you that, something that appears to be a wand, and a handful of onxy stones in turn for the identification of all of the remaining stuff, which includes 3 sets of alchemical liquids, 1 battle axe, a pair of black silk gloves, a light shield, a ring and necklace with spider designs on them, and an exceptionally well-made mithiral chain shirt that has some black silk built into it. Searil says, hoping the party is ok with this.

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 02:08 PM
With a click the door unlocks.
Aelfric opens the door with a monocle attatched to one eye. Muttering a few words of arcane power he casts his gaze over the wand, the axe and the stones.
"That deal would be....acceptable. In fact I can probably have them all identified in a few minutes."
Opening the door wider he beckons you all inside.

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 03:03 PM
Ok, thank you for your time sir.Searil says with a sigh, glad we finally go in.

sazzer
2011-02-15, 03:26 PM
Quite the offer. Let's just hope we haven't just given away the important parts just to find that the rest is junk...

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 03:33 PM
The wizard invites you into hi study. It is a single room that appears to occupy the entire ground floor and serves as a multipurpose lab, kitchen and lounge. A small earthly looking creature with wings sits upon a shelf glaring at you as you enter.

Aelfric ushers you over to the least cluttered of his tables and ajusting the monocle he is wearing pulls out a wand.

"Payment over there and everything you want checking on the table."

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 03:39 PM
Searil quickly walks over to the indicated tables and places the items on their respectve tables. He keeps an eye on the items to be apprased, hoping they're worth a lot

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 03:48 PM
"Then I shall begin."
[roll0]

Aelfric goes about identifying the items. Using his monocle and wand (with the addition of some of his own magic) he gets through them at a fair pace noting down things on a piece of paper as he goes.

After a short while he hands it to you with a smile on his face.
"Done. If you are interested I have some very interesting information. But it will cost you."

The note reads as follows. (the item stats aren't on the note, they are there for completeness sake).

1 dagger of high quality (mwk)
2 bottles of poison, unlabelled
1 magic mithril shirt (+1 enhcancement bonus)
1 magic light shield (+1 enhancement bonus)
1 light mace, nothing special
1 pair of Gloves of dexterity (+2)
1 Periapet of wisdom (+2)
1 Ring of protection (+1)
1 Unholy symbol of Lolth
1 Magical greataxe (+1)
2 high quality composite longbows (non magical, max strength bonus+2)
4 potions of cure moderate wounds
4 potions of lesser restoration
2 magical breastplates (+1)
8 adamantine arrows
8 cold iron arrows
8 silvered arrows

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 04:15 PM
hmmmm..... How about the masterwork dagger and 100gp? If it's ok with everyone elseSearl says, clearly intersted

Jair Barik
2011-02-15, 04:16 PM
"Throw in the poisons and you have a deal."

bindin garoth
2011-02-15, 05:08 PM
hmmm.... Sounds good to me. Searil says after thnkng abut it.

Cespenar
2011-02-17, 01:45 PM
While the halfling takes care of their economic problem, Warris guides Clarissa through the town to find a cleric for her.

NotANinja
2011-02-17, 02:09 PM
Clarissa wordlessly followed.

Jair Barik
2011-02-18, 07:17 AM
The Cleric's at the temple of Pelor bow to Warris and Clarissa as they enter before returning to their prayers.

Back at Aelfric's the wizard smiles and accepts his additional payment.
"Very good... Now then. Of all the items you brought me this one is of most interest and value. Putting a price on it I would say it is worth....well it is priceless, a true one of a kind." he gestures to the mithril shirt the drow priestess was wearing.

" It is called Spidersilk, it has quite the history to it. Spidersilk was originally the armour of the legendary drow wizard Valenet. About four hundred years ago, he recieved it as a gift from Dierdra, his house matriarch, for slaying a mindflayer that had held her in thrall. The matriarch lavished training and resources upon the young male drow, educating him in the care and riding of spiders as well as the wizardly arts. I imagine there is more to it than that but that is the extent of my knowledge on the matter. To unlock the most basic of its true potential would require espansion of ones knowledge of spiders and other such creatures, given its history I imagine it would make a fine suit of armour for a wizard or such like."
(OOC: Spidersilk is a legacy item. To unlock its least legacy powers the wearer must perform a ritual spending 1,500gp and must gain 2 ranks in knowledge nature, the ranks must be gained after gaining posession of Spidersilk)

bindin garoth
2011-02-18, 05:13 PM
....Wow... I know the perfect person to gve it to. Thanks alot mister, you've helped us a great deal.Searil says with great enthusiam. He then prooeeds to walk oout, leaving the requested items on the desk but takng everything else and then preeds to go to temple warris and clarrisa are at. He's extremely exciited about their stuff

Jair Barik
2011-02-18, 06:51 PM
@Killerloop

Winter is fast approaching. Food has been stored away for the coming months of cold and hardship. Paladins and noble knights patrol the lands up and down those roads deemed most important and venture into the forests and hills close to towns in their efforts to protect the weak and the innocent from monsters that would prey upon their livestock and raid their food stores. Many of those common pests that would plague the countryside have gone for the year, migrating to warmer climates or burrowing underground for the cold season. The harvest was good this year and raids from kobolds and goblinfolk were less frequent than normal. Yet despite all this the winter months seem set to bring misery and hardship.

In the past week, all across the Country, raids by the drow have been rapidly increasing in frequency. Attacks upon travellers, adventurers, villages and even larger cities have been occuring again and again with no apparent reason or motive. Worse still rumours from abroard tell a story much the same. All across the world the Drow are rising up from their underground fortresses and hidden cabals to attack all that you hold dear. In the frontier town of Melsan farms have been set to the torch, entire grain solos burnt, cattle slaughtered and farmers vicously murdered, in some cases tortured to death, with no understandable cause. No food, money or posessions are taken and shockingly few are taken alive to become slaves to the drow. Wherever the drow attack is destroyed, set aflame to burn through the night. Flames on the horizon are becoming a common sight during the midnight hours, and not a welcome one.

You were dispatched by the church of Pelor to the temple at Melsan for two reasons. The first to aid in relieving the township of some of their troubles by offering your healing services up to them, the second to seek out and stop the drow who have been the cause of the attacks. Of all the priests you were chosen both for your skill and your fate. In the night before word of the drow attacks became widespread you were visited by a troubling dream, a dream of a land without sky, of a a grim figure rowing a raft down a howling river and of a sign swinging in the wind bearing the figures likeness. The vision ended in the laughing faces of the drow butchering the people of Melsan in the night. You arrived last night and heard word from the two local priests that a group of adventurers set out last morning to investigate the attacks. They did not return the following morning and it is now late afternoon. From your room in the temple you hear the sounds of armour and talking, it seems likely they have at last returned.

Killerloop
2011-02-19, 04:29 AM
Dominic raised from his kneeled position. He was in deep meditation trying to grasp the meaning of the dream he had before departing from his temple. Was that precognition? A suggestion? An advice from the Lord?

"So they returned, thanks to Pelor"

He walked from his room to the main entrance of the temple, his long white and gold robe floating around showing his identity as one of the Radiant Servants.
The other clerics bowed as he approached.

"Hello, I am Dominic. Looks like your friend here could use some help" said the cleric, placing his left hand slowly over the eyes of Clarissa. He mumbled a prayer and his hand glowed dimly.

"Your sight is now restored by the will of Pelor" he smiled "I hope that you two people aren't all that is left of the adventuring party I'm looking for..."

Casting Remove Blindness on Clarissa

Dresil
2011-02-19, 11:50 AM
Luckily enough, Aria comes through the doors of the temple, sporting a few cuts and bruises that are visible, and more likely than not other that happen to be under her armor.

She spots Clarissa and lays a hand on her, "How do you fare? Any better?"

She winces as her should pulls off a rather nasty knot in the muscle and then adds, "Perhaps I can find some relief of my own in Pelor's house. I must have gotten cut up worse than I thought..."

Cespenar
2011-02-20, 05:13 AM
Warris bows curtly to the priest, relief visible in his face as he dispels the curse on Clarissa.

"Thank you Father Dominic," he starts, smiling politely. "But no, we're not the only two. Our companions are taking care of our more... fiscal problems."

"Tell us, though. Were you expecting us somehow?"

Killerloop
2011-02-20, 07:49 AM
Dominic moves to Aria:

"Relief you have found indeed"

He waves his hands around her casting what seems to be an healing spell... but it is not something an ordinary cleric would pull, the wounds disappear as they never existed and the pain doesn't fade, it just switches OFF.

Casting domain Cure Moderate Wounds: [roll0] + Empower: 4 + 9 from levels +1 Healing Domain = 23
Casting domain Cure Light Wounds: [roll1] + Empower: 0 + 5 from levels = 6

"Tell me if you require more" smiled Dominic

"I was sent here for two reasons: word came to my church that here in Melsan there was a big problem with the drow, so I came to help the citizens but that was only the first part of my task; the second one was to do what I could to 'solve' the drow problem. I heard a party of adventurers was investigating into the matter so.... do you mind if we join forces?"

Standing near Dominic bolsters your morale, and any doubts or fear quicly fade away.

As long as any of you is within 10' of Dominic, he/she gets a +2 morale bonus on Will saves (Radiant Servant: Aura of Warding)

Cespenar
2011-02-20, 08:22 AM
"Do we mind?" Warris starts to grin heartily as he extends a gauntleted hand.

"You're more than welcome in our humble group, Father. With you and the might of Pelor by our side, the drow will find no weak point in our armor as we wade into their ranks.

"Do you need time to prepare?"

Killerloop
2011-02-20, 08:48 AM
"No, I'm ready to go" said Dominic, then he turned towards the two clerics in the temple, and bowed:

"Thanks for your ospitality brothers. I'm needed elsewhere, please continue to help the people in these dire hours."

bindin garoth
2011-02-20, 09:29 AM
Just then, Searil burst through the doors, obviously excited and appears like he's about to yell. He then remebmbers where he is, sees the others, and quick walks over, slightly embaressed by his actions.I had to barter and trade away a few things to get the old man to identfy the stuff, but I finally got it done! Searil says with a smile. So pick whatever you want! And also, we got a pretty powerful chain shirt. Apparently this chain shirt was a gift to a strong male drow wizard! Its called spidersilk. I'd suggest giving it to lily, she can probably make the best use of it. He says as he hands over the note to everyone else to see. I'm sorry I didn't see you before. What is your name sir? Searil says as he turns towards the priest

Killerloop
2011-02-20, 09:50 AM
"I am a humble servant of Pelor, Dominic is my name." said the cleric bowing his head.

bindin garoth
2011-02-20, 10:34 AM
Nice to meet yah. Names Searil. So if I caught the last part of the conversation correctly, you're going to join us on our travels? Searil say out of curiosity

Killerloop
2011-02-20, 01:23 PM
"Yes, I would be honored to. My mission here is to help anyone who tries to stop this drow menace" said Dominic smiling

bindin garoth
2011-02-20, 01:30 PM
We'll get along just fine then Searil says with a huge grin on hs face

Jair Barik
2011-02-20, 05:50 PM
One of two priests steps forwards.
"It is getting late. We have room for our guests to stay the night in the priests quarters. Make yourself comfortable, you are doing us a great service in dealing with the drow problem."

sazzer
2011-02-20, 06:19 PM
Having seen them up close now, I think it is fair to say that they are everybodys problem. We will do our best to stop them because that is what must be done. I am not sure what they are trying to achieve, but I am certain that it is nothing good...

Dresil
2011-02-20, 11:03 PM
Thank you Dominic, I am sure this is enough for me. I feel like a new woman." Aria smiles, and remains fairly quiet throughout the conversation, until the offer to sleep in the church is presented.

"Perhaps that is not such a bad thing to consider, if it is indeed late wwe can make a fresh start in the morning." Aria does not mind one way or the other, and will cast her vote for the way the party decides to go, whether we stay here the evening or leave now.

bindin garoth
2011-02-21, 04:56 PM
Searil yawns, suddenly feeling sleepy.Actually, sleep sounds wonderful. But first, any chance you can patch me up Dominic? I got a nasty wound in the chest from the fight, and it's already opened up on me twice. Nasty wound I tell yah.

Jair Barik
2011-02-21, 07:05 PM
Dominic can use as much of his magic to heal the entire company up as is needed. One of the priests will cast cure disease upon Clarissa to prevent further complications and resting for the night she will regain the last of her sapped strength. The night passes uneventfully with no drow raids, in the morning you are all well with full health and all of your spent powers/spells regained.

bindin garoth
2011-02-22, 08:50 AM
Alright, It's morning time! Time to repay those drow for what they did!Searil says, feeling full of energy since his wounds have healed.

Dresil
2011-02-22, 07:53 PM
Aria wakes with the dawn and spends plenty of time sitting cross legged, carefully polishing her weapon. When she finishes, she dons her armor (with the help of someone else, of course, and helping them) and slides the blade into her sheath.

"A new day and a new hope that Pelor's fire incinerates the wicked."

Cespenar
2011-02-23, 06:07 AM
Having woken up early and done his usual routine of morning exercises and martial kata, Warris seems eager to go on too.

"Let's move, then, people!" he calls with the loud voice of a drill sergeant. "It would be rude to keep the drow waiting."

Jair Barik
2011-02-23, 06:09 AM
(If you wish to purchase anything in town we can say that happenned yesterday)
Setting out early the party can make it to the shack where the drow attacked by late evening. Upon approaching it though you will all notice a plume of smoke rising up from where it once stood, the building and the surrounding trees having been burnt down. Nothing is left but a smoking shell.

Killerloop
2011-02-23, 06:56 AM
Dominic looked at the scene with a mix of sadness and disgust:

"Meaningless destruction, or so it seems... do you have any clue on WHY the drow are doing this? Burn and pillage or something deeper?"

sazzer
2011-02-23, 07:36 AM
With a groan, Lily eventually gets herself up and ready. Is it morning already? Can't we sleep just a bit longer...? Alright, alright I'm coming!

Seeing the remains of the building, and in response to Dominic, After what we saw yesterday, I suspect there is some deeper, and much more dangerous, goal that they are seeking. Did anyone else tell you about what happened?

Killerloop
2011-02-23, 07:55 AM
"No, I was sent here only with general indications about helping people and stopping drow. This is all I know"

You see Dominic mumble a prayer and touch his buckler, which glows a little and then fades

Casting Magic Vestment on buckler, +1 to AC (shield) for ther next 9 hours

sazzer
2011-02-23, 08:26 AM
We all came together from different paths and joined up in the hope of at least discovering what was happening with the Drow problem, or possibly even stopping it for good. Yesterday, after a full days travel we reached this hut where we agreed to stop for the night... During our rest, we were attacked by a powerful Drow priestess who ambushed us with foul magics. We did successfully defeat her, but only barely which is why we headed back to town where we were fortunate enough to meet yourself. The priestess had a letter on her that indicated some rather disturbing things were afoot. I'm not sure who has the note now, but maybe you might be able to understand more from it?

Killerloop
2011-02-23, 09:50 AM
"Yes, let me take a look. While I know only our language I may be able to ask Lord Pelor for help, and he knows all!" said Dominic

Jair Barik
2011-02-23, 10:46 AM
Whoever has the journal and the letter can easily hand them over for analysis by
Dominic.

The letter is headed with four stamps. Three of these overlap one another and are yellow red and black, they appear to bare the same image but it is unrecognisable as anything in particular. The fourth wax stamp is green and bares the image of a cowled figure rowing a boat.
The letter reads as follows.
Styx Oarsman
It is as you expected. A source here confirms that the goddess is on the move. Attack and kill her enemies without pause or mercy.

I've learned the location of a portal for you. It leads from the marketplace of this great city into a set of caverns situated in an underpopulated area of the Material Plane. I do not know if it works both ways.
(here a side note interjects in the border of the main letter) A bent piece of iron works-a horse shoe or a lizards bridle. (the letter then continues)
I shall continue to find out more information and leave it for you at the Oarsman. Have your messenger present this letter.
The letter is unsigned.

Reading the journal gleams a few interesting pieces of information. In general it simply describes the drows life. From it you learn her name was Lithara but there is very little that is of use, most of the diary describing the worship of Lolth and other such things. The last entry however has an interesting note in the margin.

Rule-Of-Three of Sigil intrigues me as few others have. As he would say: a riddle, an enigma, a puzzle. Regardless of his ultimate loyalty (impossible to determine), he would make a fine sacrifice to honor the Spider Queen.

Killerloop
2011-02-23, 11:24 AM
"For what I can understand from this, the writer is not on this plane otherwise he wouldn't specify Material Plane into his words. I suppose the underpopulated area is where we are now"

Dominic mumbled a little, then proceeded to speak again:

"If this is correct, we can search for the caverns the writer is referring to and check if this portal works both ways. Let's be VERY CAREFUL though, we do not know his plane nor location of origin so we may end up in very bad places"

He abruptly stopped.

"Pardon me, are you all familiar with the concept of 'planes of existence'? "

bindin garoth
2011-02-23, 01:43 PM
I know a little of them, but that's bout it. So we should hopefully be able to follow them through the portal and take the fight to them? Sounds good to me. Searil says as he walks along, wanting to move as quckly as possble to get to the caverns. I feel sorry for the priests who manage this little house though, they're gona have to rebuild it now...

sazzer
2011-02-23, 04:44 PM
I've studied them in quite some depth, yes. The mention in the note of the river Styx has me especially concerned, given what I've heard and read about it...

Cespenar
2011-02-23, 06:36 PM
"I don't know about them, not really."

Killerloop
2011-02-24, 03:41 AM
"Well, a plane is a... 'place', a universe with his own set of rules like gravity, environment and population type. For example the plane where we live now, called the Material one, is inhabited by human, dwarfs, elves, bears, drows, goblin and pretty much everything you can see with your own eyes."

"Now imagine... a sky with perpetual flames raging, the whole earth under your feet is aflame and living whirlwinds of fire move and interact like humans do. That is the Plane of Fire, and it exists."

"Basically they are different realities, normally isolated from each other. When you die, what do you think happens to your soul? The saying 'Pelor will take care of your soul' literally means THAT. If your actions are good an true, your soul will be admitted to the plane of your god where you can stay forever."

Dominic paused to catch breath.

"With magic and other unconventional means it is possible to create passages between these places. Controlled magic it is the safest way because... well, what do you think it will happen to us if we end up into the Plane of Fire unprotected? We will immolate and die in a split second."

"I've traveled to some, and Pelor empowers me with the required magic to do that, maybe after this gruesome drow thing ends I may bring all of you with me to one of the friendly-non risky planes. There you will see things far beyond imagination."

bindin garoth
2011-02-24, 03:55 AM
Wow....... Really? What planes have you been to or know of besides the plane of fire?Searl says, listenng very intently to Dominic. He's researched thhe planes a little before out of curiosity, but never had time to really do much more than skim through a book. He spent most f his time tranng, not researching.

Killerloop
2011-02-24, 04:34 AM
"I'm sorry, but my knowledge is very basic. I've traveled to three planes is total, for mere seconds and under the guidance of an extremely skilled plane traveler. My duties as a servant of Pelor leave little time for trips" smiled the cleric.

"I've been to a plane called the Blessed Fields of Elysium... the plane of Pelor and honestly I can't describe it with words. Such..... nah, no words would apply"

"I've been to the Plane of Fire and to the Astral Plane, the sea of emptiness.. a silvery sky where you float like a bird, except that you do not have wings."

He picks up the letter taken from the drow priestess:

"This letter about a marketplace reminds me of something I read once... but I cannot focus the memory at this time..."

Knowledge (the planes): [roll0]

sazzer
2011-02-24, 04:46 AM
You have actually been to the Astral plane? And not just passed through it? From my understanding, which I will confess is not as detailed as yours by the sounds of things, I didn't think it was possible to actually go to the Astral plane. The books I have read described it as nothing more than the space between planes, where you pass through to reach another plane, but not actually a plane in its own right

Jair Barik
2011-02-24, 04:55 AM
@killerloop

You can't recall any plane that would consist solely of a market. Many planes have famous cities but none that would spring to mind.

Killerloop
2011-02-24, 04:57 AM
"Honestly I do not know the thing in detail.. what I can tell you is that to move to the Blessed Fields we used a spell I know, but to go to the Astral Plane brother Matheus, the skilled plane traveler, summoned a lot more divine energy... I suppose he used magic beyond my current understanding" said Dominic scratching his head and blushing.

sazzer
2011-02-24, 05:00 AM
So when you visited these Blessed Fields, did you actually get to see Pelor himself? And get to talk to him?

Killerloop
2011-02-24, 05:51 AM
Dominic widened his eyes in stupor

"Oh no no no! I wish I COULD... the vision of such a being can shatter the sanity of a human, this is why we should go there only after our departure from this mortal coil.
I just made a short trip, lesser than a minute. That's it"

Cespenar
2011-02-24, 07:44 PM
Warris tries to take all the information in, and stares thoughtfully at the cleric.

"I see. I never seemed to wonder about these subjects, but this time, I have a feeling that your knowledge about the planes would prove really useful. Let's go find this portal then."

sazzer
2011-02-25, 07:27 AM
Do you think we should just go and find it as-is? Or would finding out more about it - and the probably risks - first be better?

bindin garoth
2011-02-25, 08:07 AM
Honestly I'm going to say go as is. We may even find more about the portal when we get there, but I don't think I want to waste any more time, the longer we take to get there, the more drow raids there wll be. Besides if the drow are using ths portal I'm sure it's sae. We're just gonna have to be careful, I'm sure they know of us now and are probably preparing for us. If you want I can keep ahead and stay hidden, to keep an eye out for trouble? Searil says with a distant look upon his face, reflecting upon his village and what happened

sazzer
2011-02-25, 08:11 AM
If the drow are using the portal then I'm sure it is safe for them. Doesn't mean it's safe for us. For all we know, it could be heavily guarded, or rigged so that if a non-drow enters they don't come out the other side, or who knows what...

Then, to Dominic,
I'll admit that I don't know a lot about these portals, so I don't know if that's even possible. Do you happen to know at all?

Killerloop
2011-02-25, 08:58 AM
"It may be guarded on both sides but we have no means, at least I do not, to know what lies on the other side. I may use some divinations to get to know what lies ahead but only to a minor extent and not now, Lord Pelor isn't granting that sort of holy power to me at the moment"

Dominic paused, considering the options

"I say we go on. If we cross the portal we will end somewhere... and wherever it is I know enough magic to teleport all of us back to this plane of existence. As long as we stay united and I do not die, of course. Let's find this first, at worst case we could try to destroy to hamper the drow invasion.."

bindin garoth
2011-02-27, 08:56 AM
Wow really? That's great, so I we get into trouble you can get us back here? If that's the case I say we definitely go ahead. []Searil says after hearing the priest's words[I]

Jair Barik
2011-02-27, 10:49 AM
Headed off continuing your journey as you had done a few days ago you find it is not hard to track the drow, the tracks of the Ogres and the raiding party still fairly obvious in the soil. Following these you arrive at the mountains at late evening, the tracks leading on into a darkened cave with an entrance that is about twenty foot in width.

bindin garoth
2011-02-27, 11:41 AM
Activating his grey ioun stone for light, Searil procceds to walk up to the cave entrance and peer insideThis must be the place the letter was talking about. I bet the portals inside.

Dresil
2011-02-27, 11:53 AM
The scraping of metal on leather is heard as Aria draws her sword. She then shifts her shield into a comfortable position and takes a step into the cave.

"Whatever may be on the inside, we will prevail one way or another."

Killerloop
2011-02-27, 11:55 AM
Domnic lits his everburning torch

"Careful, remember it may be guarded"

Carrying his heavy flail with one hand, and the torch into another you see Dominic do a little gesture and look around.

Casting Detect Magic

Jair Barik
2011-02-27, 12:04 PM
The illumination granted by the torch and the stone allow you to see that the cave goes on for about twenty feet before turning south.

Your voices echo into and back out of the cave, Dominic doesn't dfetect any magic.

(OOC: what are the illumination levels on everyones gear/your vision in darkness. You guys doing a marching order or not?)

Cespenar
2011-02-28, 01:51 AM
Warris squints as he stares into the darkness but waves his hand forward.

"We should pick a marching order. Father Dominic or Searil, since you have the light sources, could one of you take lead? Also, Lily, you should get in the middle."

Edit:Warris assumes Motivate Dexterity and Motivate Attack auras for +3 to initiatives and other dex-based stuff and a +2 to attack rolls.

bindin garoth
2011-02-28, 06:07 AM
Sure, I don't mind being upfront. Searil says as he puts a toorch and flnt out o hs havardsack and quickly lights it.

Killerloop
2011-02-28, 06:55 AM
"I will be right behind you, may Pelor bless your steps" said Dominic taking place behind Searil.

"...about that, a little prayer of protection will help us travel safer. Please stay near me as we venture further."

Dominic casts Magic Circle against Evil, centered on himself

It will provide Protection From Evil (+2 deflection to AC, +2 resistance to saves) to anyone in a 10' radius. This stacks with Aura of Radiance (+2 to Will saves) that everyone near Dominic already gets

Jair Barik
2011-02-28, 10:32 AM
Moving into the cave and following it south you enter what you gain the impression of being a larger cavern. The western cave wall continues running south but the cavern seems to extend on towards the east, opening out northward as well. It looks there is a wall a little way of to the south of the cavern but your vision in general is hindered by the darkness and a protrusion to your east that inhibits your sight.

Dresil
2011-02-28, 05:27 PM
Aria simply brings up the rear, as her noisy platemail may not be doing much for stealth.

Jair Barik
2011-02-28, 05:53 PM
As you move into the larger cavern you suddenly realise all to late that your torches are not stripping away all of the darkness, an area to the north east and northwest stubbornly refusing to illuminate. Not even Lilly can see through it. Before you can respond a pair of arrows whistle out of the dark, one dodged by Lilly, the other easily lost amidst Searil's cloth. Before you can react a strange purple glow grips to everyones bodies, not seeming to cause any obvious harm simply making you all glow slightly.

Initiative order
-party
-???

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7169-1.png
Map notes.
-Dark grey is walls
-Light grey is level floor
-Brown is an incline leading up to a section of loor 20ft above the ground (approximately 10ft incline per square costs 10 ft movement per square)

bindin garoth
2011-02-28, 05:59 PM
Crap! Should of been more careful! Searil says as he moves frward, with sword in one hand and torch in the other.

I take a moment to sniff the air and use scent to try to figure out how many enemies there are and roughly where they are. I then switch over to child of the shadows stance and double move to H14, gaining 20% concealment until the beginning of my next turn from my stance

Killerloop
2011-03-03, 05:59 PM
"Where are they? Be careful Searil!" said Dominic advancing

Double move to G14

Dresil
2011-03-03, 10:03 PM
Aria clanks over to G11, sword drawn. "Those that harbor evil in their hearts shall lay down their weapons and repent, or be smote by the light of PELOR!"

Cespenar
2011-03-04, 04:21 AM
"Could someone dispel that darkness over there?" Warris suggests, moving along with the group. He holds his weapon at the ready, but a target doesn't yet present itself.

Move to F12. Standard action for inspire courage.

sazzer
2011-03-04, 05:00 AM
I can try, but I suspect it's magically created darkness so will need to be handled as such

Using Dusk and Dawn to make the entire cave, centered on the dark area, light. 20' radius area centered on I10, and lasting 90 minutes.

Jair Barik
2011-03-04, 12:31 PM
Lily's magic does nothing to disuade the darkness and it prompty advances upon those who had moved against it. Dominic feels something scrape on his armour and something long and metallic whips out at Searil. Aria feels all sorts of things bound off of her armour but nobody is harmed by all this. You can make out a squat horselike shape just to the north of Aria and just to the south of Dominic. From the east you hear an inhuman cackling voice.
"What spiders have wandered into my parlour today then?"

Initiative order
-Party
-???

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7169-3.png

Killerloop
2011-03-04, 12:49 PM
"In the name of Lord Pelor, show yourself!" said Dominic, casting a spell in the darkness.

Dispel Magic to H16, Area Dispel.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Rolling some to make sure :)

Jair Barik
2011-03-04, 01:16 PM
Dominic dispels the darkness. He also dispels Lilly's shadows and his own magic circle. What is revealed as a result is quite worrying though. The cavern (now largely illuminated thanks to the torches) has a chasm and a sloping floor to the east. Currently in combat with the party are a pair of drow wielding spiked chains, each riding atop the back of a giant lizard. Not yet fighting the party but very close at hand are four large bird like creatures, their backs hunched over and covered in purple feathers with cloaks upon their backs.

Map

Darker brown are a 5ft incline, rising to a higher area of cave to the east
Black squares are a chasm, the other side of the chasm is raised 5ft higher than this side
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/text7169-4.png

bindin garoth
2011-03-04, 02:15 PM
Alright! Let's heat things up! Searil says before bringing his sword in a wide arc. Then, right before his first slash, he unleashes a burst of ki as his short sword seems to turn into molten lava and unleashes 3 rapid slashes against his foe.

edit: forgot +3 to attack, and +1 to damage:smalltongue:
Searil attacks the nearest lizard with his short sword only.

using flashing sun and searing blade maneuvers.

Attack1:[roll0] +3
Attack2:[roll1] +3
Attack3:[roll2] +3

Damage1:[roll3]+1con+1 damage
Damage2:[roll4]+1con
Damage3:[roll5]+1con

Fire damage1:[roll6]
Fire damage2:[roll7]
Fire damage3:[roll8]

crit confirms:
1:[roll9]
2:[roll10]
3:[roll11]

edit: Alright! first one threatens crit!:smallbiggrin:

Dresil
2011-03-04, 07:24 PM
"My flesh is protected by more than just simple steel and leather! Pelor's hand guides me through this darkness! For all that is Good and Just, I shall vanquish you! HAVE AT THEE!"

Aria swings into full battle blaze, taking the familiar Martial Spirit stance she comes to know almost as well as simply standing.

She swings her sword twice in a rapid succession, keeping her shield close to her as the paladin aims to rid the world of at least two more Drow.

Martial Spirit stance as swift action, then full attack on the drow I'm facing, Power Attacking for 5. Elfbane and Devoted Spirit kick in on my sword, giving me a +5 to hit.

[roll0] [roll1]
Crit Confirm [roll2] [roll3]
Damage [roll4][roll5]
Crit Damage [roll6][roll7]
Elfbane [ROLL]2d6[ROLL][ROLL]2d6[ROLL]

Maneuvers Granted
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

Crusaders Strike
Bonecrusher
Divine Surge
Revitalizing Strike
Foehammer

Dresil
2011-03-04, 07:25 PM
Double Post, Rolling Elfbane again on 1st strike

[roll0]

Cespenar
2011-03-05, 03:51 AM
"Good work, Father!" Warris exclaims as the darkness is dispelled for them to see who they are fighting with. He watches the situation for a couple seconds to formulate his tactics, and then suddenly swings his guisarme at the nearest lizard rider, aiming to drive the weapon's hook into the drow's head.

"Be careful, people! Their chains can reach much farther than they seem," he calls back to his group. "If you need to get somewhere, tell me so that I can make a diversion."

Foehammer on the upper lizard rider, which ignores DR if there's any. Also, Warris gives a +3 to attacks, +1 to damages, +3 to reflex saves. Don't forget to add them so that Warris's abilities actually mean something, mkay? :smallbiggrin:

Also, Iron Guard's Glare gives the threatened drow rider on the north -4 on attacks against Warris's nearby allies. Aria, in this case.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Oh, boo. I roll a 2?

Jair Barik
2011-03-05, 04:33 AM
Searil only manages to land a single blow on the southern lizard but thankfully this is sufficient to kill it, its body going limp and dropping to the ground. Warris completely misses his target but Aria manages to land a blow upon upon the drow, wounding him but not killing him.