PDA

View Full Version : Gear for a Solar

Chess435
2011-01-31, 01:47 PM
I'm currently making a Solar for a one-shot vs. Progenitus. I have my basic stats done and am ready to buy gear. Basically, I want the right gear in order prevent a OHKO and being OMNOMNOM'ed. Any advice?

Notes:
760,000 gp
Vorpal is ineffective against a mile-long neck.

SurlySeraph
2011-01-31, 01:59 PM
Get a Starmantle Cloak. 132,000 gp, and lets you take half damage from attacks by making a Reflex save. And arguably works with Evasion.

Can you add enhancements to your bow? If so, add Force and Splitting to it, and maybe use Dispelling arrows. Possibly Wounding as well. Assuming he's capable of dying to Slaying Arrows, that is. How much of his stats do you know?

TakeABow
2011-01-31, 02:13 PM
Where would I find stats for this "Progenitus"?

senrath
2011-01-31, 02:17 PM
It's homebrew. Progenitus is a creature from Magic: The Gathering.

Jarian
2011-01-31, 02:18 PM
Spend a considerable portion of your wealth getting Mystic Shield added to your spell list somehow. It can always be done with enough feats and/or proper items. Drakehelm, maybe, though I don't recall if that's only for Arcane magic or what.

Next get Starmantle (the spell), somehow. It's in the Joy domain already, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Combine steps 1 and 2.

Anything that touches you loses all magical properties, and any nonmagical attacks are immediately disintegrated. Apparently, even works against natural attacks. :smallcool:

Then spend your other 500k or so throwing yourself a huge party for being awesome.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-31, 02:58 PM
Also, a necklace of retribution from the Book of Exalted Deeds is pretty good. It costs 50,000 gold and you gain a +2 sacred bonus to AC and 1/2 of all damage is reflected back at the attacker.

Basically, if it bites you, it would feel as if he's chewing on a ball of tin foil. Ouch! :smallwink:

Douglas
2011-01-31, 03:04 PM
Also, a necklace of retribution from the Book of Exalted Deeds is pretty good. It costs 50,000 gold and you gain a +2 sacred bonus to AC and 1/2 of all damage is reflected back at the attacker.

Basically, if it bites you, it would feel as if he's chewing on a ball of tin foil. Ouch! :smallwink:
That was one of the most ridiculously overpowered items in the game, and it was justifiably nerfed in the Magic Item Compendium.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-31, 03:08 PM
That was one of the most ridiculously overpowered items in the game, and it was justifiably nerfed in the Magic Item Compendium.

I found no mention of the Necklace of Retribution in the Magic Item Compendium.

Did they rename it? If so, then it's a different magic item, and the original magic item is still available.

TakeABow
2011-01-31, 03:32 PM
Retributive Amulet - 56000 gp
BoED, pg. 116.
+2 sacred bonus to AC
Divides half of hit point damage done by melee attacks (natural or regular weapons) between you and attacker.

Retributive Amulet - 9000 gp
MIC, pg. 121
Divides half of hit point damage done by melee attacks (natural or regular weapons) between you and attacker. Must be activated, only works 3 times per day.

Got hit hard by the nerfhammer.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-31, 03:36 PM
Retributive Amulet - 56000 gp
BoED, pg. 116.
+2 sacred bonus to AC
Divides half of hit point damage done by melee attacks (natural or regular weapons) between you and attacker.

Retributive Amulet - 9000 gp
MIC, pg. 121
Divides half of hit point damage done by melee attacks (natural or regular weapons) between you and attacker. Must be activated, only works 3 times per day.

Got hit hard by the nerfhammer.

Well that sucks. Still, you could buy one just for the first 3 attacks Progenitus makes. If it does a lot of damage, the 9,000 gold pieces might be worth it.

TakeABow
2011-01-31, 03:57 PM
I went through pretty much all of the magic items in 3.5 shortly after MIC came out to build a level 30 character (Quicksilver Hourglass).

Starmantle Cloak is pretty much as pro as it gets. Ring of Evasion and you are in business. You could try to buff your AC, but chances are it will just hit you anyway, and Starmantle Cloak takes care of the damage.

Saves can always be boosted (Vest of Resistance + 5). Any way to gain temporary HP (Can't think of any good ones right now) or break action economy (Belt of Battle). Items that boost your Con also should be well worth it with those 22HD. Items that make you outright immune to status ailments are also good. (Death Ward is a +1 armor enhancement IIRC, blocks 1 death attack per day).

Do you get the +5 Dancing Greatsword for free since it is in your statblock already?

Crown of The White Raven (White Raven Tactics) and Iron Heart Vest (Iron Heart Surge) are both quite cheap at 3000gp each since they are both 'novice' items. See the rules in the DMG for combining magic items if you are having problems with slots.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-31, 04:38 PM
Next time, would you mind putting the system you're using in the thread title? Here I was going to start talking about hearthstone bracers and a white jade reaver daiklave... :smalltongue:

Kansaschaser
2011-01-31, 04:39 PM
Next time, would you mind putting the system you're using in the thread title? Here I was going to start talking about hearthstone bracers and a white jade reaver daiklave... :smalltongue:

They have Solars in other game settings? :smallconfused:

Jarian
2011-01-31, 04:40 PM

Exalted. text

SurlySeraph
2011-01-31, 04:45 PM

I was about to start talking about paranoia combos when I saw "760,000 gp."

Hey Alucard! Didn't you mean Perfected Kata Bracers and a Grand Goremaul? :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-31, 04:59 PM
Hey Alucard! Didn't you mean Perfected Kata Bracers and a Grand Goremaul?If you've got some sort of hammer-based Martial Arts style, sure. :smallsmile: Otherwise they don't synch as well. Plus, OP would need access to the other books.

Runestar
2011-01-31, 05:04 PM
A lot of gear can be replicated by spells or acquired inexpensively.

Superior resistance grants +6 resistance bonus to saves, replacing cloak of resistance.

Greater magic weapon gives you +5 weapons. For a bow, you may want to pile on the damage-dealing enhancements, like bane, holy and splitting (champions of ruin). Also get manyshot and flyby attack.

Get +6 enhancement bonus to str/dex/con. Then use a monk's belt for wis mod+1 to AC. You should also acquire epic spellcasting, allowing you to research and cast epic mage armour (+20AC) and a custom spell granting +16 enhancement bonus to wis. With base14 wis, you end up with 28 wis, enough to grant an extra 9th lv spell, so no point getting extra slots with wis-boosting eq.

You already have protective aura, so no point getting rings of protection. Amulet of NA may be worth it for the +5NA.

Holy warrior feat (complete champion) for up to +9 damage on all attacks.

Knowledge devotion feat (complete champion) for up to +5 insight bonus on attacks/damage.

Lastly, you will want some way to hedge against dispelling.

SurlySeraph
2011-01-31, 05:13 PM
If you've got some sort of hammer-based Martial Arts style, sure. :smallsmile: Otherwise they don't synch as well. Plus, OP would need access to the other books.

*insert rant about Ivory Pestle Style (http://forums.white-wolf.com/cs/blogs/freelancers/archive/2010/12/22/ink-monkeys-vol-47-ivory-pestle-style.aspx), specifically with regards to Whirling Pestle Kata, and numerous references to Jon Chung, here*

And now back to your regularly scheduled DnD.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-31, 05:23 PM
*insert rant about Ivory Pestle Style (http://forums.white-wolf.com/cs/blogs/freelancers/archive/2010/12/22/ink-monkeys-vol-47-ivory-pestle-style.aspx), specifically with regards to Whirling Pestle Kata, and numerous references to Jon Chung, here**insert old-man grumblings about how back in my day, you didn't have these fancy-schmancy "ink monkeys," and how dissuading your ST from using Void Avatar Prana involved hitting him with a sock full of marbles*

:smalltongue:

Kansaschaser
2011-01-31, 05:48 PM
Exalted. text

Cool. Good to know. I know of Exalted, but I've never perused their Monster Manual (if that's what it's called).

SurlySeraph
2011-01-31, 05:50 PM
Here is a (not entirely SFW) introduction of the basics of Exalted. It is hilarious and you should read it. (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Exalted)

Urpriest
2011-01-31, 05:57 PM
Cool. Good to know. I know of Exalted, but I've never perused their Monster Manual (if that's what it's called).

Not a monster actually. Solar is the term for the most common type of PC.

Chess435
2011-02-01, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! (Oh wait, I'm supposed to be NG)